Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oof, 3/28 show about an hour in, they get a girl caller on the phone so they have to shout over whatever she wanted so they can drag on about getting a picture of her. They spend a long amount of time just flailing around trying to load up pictures from Jimmy's site to find her. Then they find out she's 42 and say goodbye :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I hate when I turn on the channel and I know someone died because they're talking about someone they barely ever mention anymore. :sigh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I really don't see the 'treat this like the next Patrice' thing the Otto guy is having on everyone. I have never heard of this guy, on the show or the internet. Never mentioned when they bring up comics or friends and I must have been extremely unlucky to miss every show he was on. He just never gets brought up when they talk about others like Bobby, Vos, colin, and even with much smaller name comics.
He had a lot of classic moments on the show in the past, but he's very old school in some ways so he had about zero profile lately. I'm sure this weekend they'll play basically every clip they can find and you're more likely to be able to appreciate him.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

Fez just felt like he needed to top Otto.
So he's going to die twice?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So I tune in for the Unmasked and immediately get an ad for the Rubber Club and their lovable mascot Rupert the Rubber.

Glad to see their commercial quality has gone up since I started listening mostly on demand. :rolleyes:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hmm, it's after 5 PM Eastern. Weren't they supposed to be out of there within an hour or it would be a big problem?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

For those of you playing along at home, I found the clip of them reading the Words Hurt booklet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt_Sdc0W9M

Also a really long article about Nick DiPaolo talking about the same poo poo

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/business/media/06talk.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

For those of you playing along at home, I found the clip of them reading the Words Hurt booklet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt_Sdc0W9M

Aahhaha poo poo, about 49 minutes in one of Anthony's favorite excuses is on the list, "I should not be held responsible for my ancestors' behaviors"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt_Sdc0W9M&t=2961s

"Is that a problem?"

Oh maybe, Ant. Just loving maybe.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cromulent posted:

Wow, today Jim gave a sincere "I'm sorry for bitching about fake names online, I'l stop." It was in regard to the video game guy getting fired for saying Sterling's privacy was invaded.
:eyepop:

The way he rants about that one I thought he would never come around. Especially since in his line of work he's about one of the only people who can spout poo poo freely without getting their rear end canned.

Holy gently caress, listened to the call from South Africa today on the replay on my way home. My god man, they went on like fifty tangents, let the guy maybe say a total of ten words, then Opie called him boring and Anthony accused him of faking the whole thing because Anthony doesn't know how time zones work. God drat amazing.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 2, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

I love how she high-fived him after he did it. Haha that's loving funny.
drat, she just stands around looking stunned after she gets back to the foreground. She almost looks like she's afraid for her life because of a drat cake.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sankis posted:

Didn't Ron and Ron, and every other 'shock jock' duo of the 80s and early 90s, have the exact same bit? I don't understand why they care.
You know full well that inventing that bit is the narrative Opie has been trying to push for years. They used to piss and moan about Leykis for hours because he did a similar bit, didn't they? At least I don't think I'm imagining that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm not sure if this is the one you're thinking of but spreadtheonavirus has a mp3 of "Stalker Patty Freak Song by Dru Boogie"
drat, I remember when they were playing this thing all the loving time, mostly randomly with no context. I got so sick of it, I'm honestly kind of glad they don't just play random music poo poo from their pool constantly anymore.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So are O&A still planning on ditching Sirius come October and going to Podcasting full time?
I would, they're obviously not wanted. Even by most of the people in this thread.

I'd miss them but what are you gonna do. At least maybe Ron would invite one in to be Fez for a day now and then.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stotty posted:

They wax lyrical about podcasts being the future, but most, if not all of the people doing them have a main career and the podcasts are a sideline. It doesn't seem like a viable solution.

Their interviews are abysmal and most of the fun parts of the show these days are the spontaneous ones.

They've also admitted they don't actual have concrete figures on how many people listen now and they only seem to attract a limited number of lovely sponsors, I can't see them giving up a guaranteed paycheck for a podcast that might be a complete bomb.
I can see Opie doing something stupid because "the views, maaaaaaaaan". Their terrible interviews have been the spotlight of the weekend recaps for years. Opie might not have FU money, but if he moves out of his box in the sky I doubt he's got a problem. So it's stupid maybe, but I don't think it's impossible. They always talk about how you should go out at the top of your game rather than linger on anyway, and Sirius has shown they're not going to let them get any higher. Or even really appreciate them for what they did get.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I think Anthony is honest when he's being a giant bigot. I think he's pretty open about that. I also think he's stuck in his perspective and never ever can understand another person can have a completely different set of values and responses, and come by those honestly. Considering he's constantly watching TV news and talking head poo poo where people are intentionally dishonest if it will get them a point, I'm not entirely surprised he assumes it's more dishonesty and can't understand that people weren't all born wired the same way as him.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not to mention the weird way where he doesn't react emotionally to anything except with anger or humor. He's repressing some dark poo poo.
It's not very repressed, but he's probably learned to be bitter from it. He's openly talked about how his parents hated each other, hated him, and were just general assholes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saw a big post bump in my bookmarks, hoping for maybe some big news or a bunch of poo poo to watch, and instead got this. Random rear end poo poo posting about Jim Norton. I had to reread the whole drat page to even find the context for that giant turd.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 30, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

End of Life Guy posted:

Are you sorry you did that?
Are you embarrassed you did that?
leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeengerrrrrrrrr looooooooooooooooooongerrrrrrrrrrrrr

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

To be fair if Ron didn't do the 9/11 show people would blow up his phones until he relented.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

spudsbuckley posted:

Ron is a massive hypocrit about numerous things on a day to day basis.

He mocks Hicks for not being able to talk properly and he himself constantly says the wrong words for things and mispronounces a bunch of simple words, for instance.
That's part of the gag :ssh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

spudsbuckley posted:

Sure it is.

Him stumbling his way through certain sentences during Unmasked is really sticking it to Hicks.
The hypocrisy is the bit. The whole "Ron makes everyone around him look like an idiot constantly and has them stay silent about his flaws" bit. The one he's been doing for decades. I'm sorry if I spoiled it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

I loving hate how Pepper will bring up a 30 year old movie like Star Wars and Ron will tell him not to spoil it. If you haven't seen the movie by now Ron you deserve to be spoiled.
:raise:

I really need the clip of this to understand how you didn't take it as a joke.

drat, I know Ron uses dry humor but you guys are blowing my mind with this poo poo.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 12, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

Oh literal CrashCat!
drat your timing

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kind of an awkward tangent but I got to listen to the show with Anthony and Dan Soder riffing on the apology news and I loved it. I would throw Opie out a window if it meant I got to hear those two together more often.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

On the bright side, Opie's been looking for an excuse to quit for a while now, so he'll also be happy. Really the only one who gets hosed is Jim and he's always one drink away from a downward spiral culminating in suicide anyway.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cromulent posted:

I've yet to see anything even close to a real news outlet reporting this. I honestly don't think enough people give a poo poo about O&A for them to be shitcanned. If it starts making the rounds on CNN and poo poo, maybe, but conservative blog, gawker articles and a few dozen people riled up on twitter probably won't get the job done for manufacturing outrage.
We really only need one special interest group to pick up on this and Sirius will bend over backwards so far that the entire channel will rocket out their rear end and into the dumpster.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

zapplez posted:

God I hate what somethingawful has become. Yes, Ant is a big fag but jesus, wanting a guy to lose his job because he said some words that offend you after being he was assaulted? Jesus.
I don't really care what happens to him, but he will almost certainly lose his job, nearly as certainly wreck it for Opie and Jim, probably will sue, fairly likely will lose all his remaining money in the process, and quite possibly will cap it off R. Budd Dwyer style. So it doesn't really matter whether I find him entertaining or not.

He's yet another in a long line of horrible people who have brought me joy in one form or other at one time. Generally, much like not knowing the horrors that go into producing the food I eat, it's much better for my sanity to not pay attention to how awful literally everyone I've admired in even the slightest respect until it's shoved out in public loudly. If he goes away forever, oh well, I guess I have to enjoy some Ron and Fez for a month or two until they follow suit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Droopy Goines posted:

gently caress SiriusXM and ants rage for depriving me of three hours of entertainment every day at work.
Here's my secret hope that this paves the way for an Anthony and Dan Soder podcast. :kiddo:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stotty posted:

Firstly, he said that it was the photo he took that made her angry, yet she's quite clearly pretty agitated already in the photo.
Yeah, this much is painfully obvious, and it's enough to carry the story until the entire channel gets leveled. I'm astonished to say it, but Ron and Fez are actually lucky to have moved to Raw Dog SiriusXM Comedy Hits Ninety Nine.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Heckler posted:

Scorch... wins?
sure is some weird news or somethin... tss tss

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skip My Posts posted:

What kind of grown man lets someone belt them in the face multiple times without even attempting to defend themselves. What a creepy lil unemployed coward.
A grown man who doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in jail for assaulting a woman while drunk and carrying a firearm.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Poor Scorch, still so ignored that only Louise Holdsworth gives his post a like.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TL posted:

So, Monday, hopefully we'll have an idea where the show is going moving forward. Depending on what happens, I might close this thread. Anyone interested in making a new thread/threads? I haven't listened in over six months, I don't feel it's my place to do so.
:gas:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

:cawg: might be the only way to make a real change at this point

mcmagic posted:

Aww. Someone is realizing that his lifestyle is about to drastically change.
This would be adorable if not for it happening to a horrible monster dirtbag. :allears:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MullardEL34 posted:

Glenn Beck. Seriously. If you can tune out the conservative boilerplate bullshit, he can be funny at times.
I have a strange feeling that Ant is heading for Glenn's MASSIVE Dallas studio compound as we speak, and Gregg "Opie" Hughes is soon to follow, once his contract runs out.
There is no :laffo: big enough for this. Glenn Beck used to be funny before he went on TV and completed the transition to complete gibbering lunatic. But yes, Anthony would now be a perfect fit and together they could make a huge conservatives.txt thread for goons' endless amusement.

Also seconding that Opie should sue him for lost potential earnings so that he ends up literally penniless and goes out Dwyer style rather than try to go back to tin knocking. Yes, he's entertained me for years, and yes, I still believe he should remove himself from the planet despite this.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If it ends up being the Opie and Sam show I just won't listen. Sam is genius but I cannot handle him in large doses, he has a very short shelf life in any given show before he gets to annoying me even worse than Opie at his flow-crushingest.

Do you think Anthony will even be allowed to call in or will SiriusXM put a full gag order on the situation in place, or somewhere in between? I have a feeling they'll do whichever option is stupidest.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

There are a lot of :words: going on here lately, but O&A themselves have covered this very phenomenon extensively themselves, so I'll try to explain this as concisely i can manage with as little personal opinion as I can:

SiriusXM doesn't have a choice. It is an acceptable advertising industry standard to pull advertising from any medium that some people declare to be offensive. SiriusXM has advertising across hundreds of other talk shows, many of which are network ads and play across a lot more than O&A. It is true that an advertiser can specifically not advertise on O&A, but the public can ignore this and continue to complain until they back down. They also can ignore any form of public apology or any form of damage control whatsoever and continue to protest. Therefore, the only way to stop massive losses in a situation like this is to immediately fire the controversial person.

It doesn't matter what you or I think about Anthony, it doesn't matter if his words were good or evil, it doesn't matter whether he is contrite or unapologetic, it doesn't even matter what the people who pay to listen to Opie and Anthony actually want to hear. What matters is that it upset people who can and would influence advertisers, and at that point they are judge, jury and executioner.

No, you can't change this phenomenon. It is a well-established business practice that is accepted by the industry, and has an overwhelming amount of precedent. Businesses that are protested by the public do not care about your favorite radio show, they care about not being perceived as monsters and losing uncertain amounts of profit as a result. Even a groundswell of public support for the object of one of these protests rarely has any effect, and in this particular case there's next to no chance of that level of backlash.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomahawk posted:

Duck Dynasty.
Probably not the same on the balance sheet. That show was an undebatable smash hit, with massive amounts of merchandizing. Given that success it's reasonable to assume that they had several advertisers waiting in the wings already to pick up after any clients that left. Also, advertisers value and understand TV better, so it's likely they would pull advertising on only that channel at most, unlike on SiriusXM where they would just pull off the entire platform.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomahawk posted:

I don't understand how you can be a fan of the show but not think that Anthony grinding the show to a halt literally every day for the past 4 years with ignorant racist bullshit and retard politics was a cancer to the funny show we all used to tune in to every morning.
I may not have agreed with Anthony's views but I was entertained to hear him talk about them honestly, since for obvious reasons no other show could really get away with speaking frankly like that. However I understand that I'm vastly in the minority on that and I'd really rather hear funny stuff like when he was riffing with Dan on pit bulls anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

For all the bitching in this thread over the past few months, listening to this bear hockey bit on best-of I have to say that the listeners were on point. Though maybe that was on the FM part.

• Locked thread