Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

MOTYC:

Goto v. Shibata (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)
Devitt v. Ibushi (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)
Nakamura v. Tanahashi (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)
Naito v. Okada (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)

HM:

Bucks v. Hooligans v. Suzuki-Gun v. Time Splitters (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)
KES v. Bullet Club (Wrestle Kingdom 8- 01/04/2014)

ditto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

friendo55 posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but I like the idea of a "fun match / has 1-2 cool spots" category that would be worth having a list of at the end of the year. It can be entirely separate from MOTY / HM and would help in keeping those separate from HM status. Perhaps that would get flooded way too easily with quick 2-3 minute TV matches? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of those fast-paced Cesaro vs Sin Cara matches that are short but still entertaining.

reported for trolling

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's even worse if you see Kurt Angle's pre match promo where he begs sting not to go.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I would give it an HM.
That was a textbook honorable mention, imo.

HM: Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan - The Royal Rumble

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

How do I nominate HulkaMatt of the Year Candidates then?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jackie D posted:

NO

I'd go for an HM though, it was really good

HM: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton, 2/3/14

yeah

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Am I being trolled?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

I never bothered to do MOTYCs last year and then when the PSP awards came about I was kind of dismayed to see that a lot of my favorites weren't on the ballot because they got zero nominations or seconds, so this year I will TRY to do something about it.

MOTYC: Masaaki Mochizuki vs Masato Yoshino (c) - 01/16 Dragon Gate: Open the New Year Gate

It is goddamn insane that Mochizuki at age 44 (roughly Triple H/Batista age), working the style that he does, can still absolutely bring it the way he does here. This match is to commemorate his 20 years of wrestling, and he's going up against the much younger champion Yoshino. This is right up there with the MOTYCs New Japan has put on this year, and more people should go check it out because Dragon Gate's been on a really good streak too for a while now.

Yeah this was great. 4th'd.

I really want to watch more Dragon Gate but I don't have any idea when they do iPPVs or other major shows. Is there a resource for this because the ones I've found don't make any distinction between house shows and big supercards I could actually pay to watch like the Kobe festival?

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 13, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I could see the argument for it being a MOTYC, maybe if I was in more of a wrestling mood it would have been for me. as is I thought it was just a really excellent match, but not mindblowingly great.

I'm in the same boat as you. The work was there but it didn't feel ~*special*~

Whatever though it's already on the list.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

MOTYC: Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper & Erick Rowan - WWE Elimination Chamber, 2/23

yeah that was real good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

is this what it was like to watch royal rumble 2003

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

honorable mention, imo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, not like it matters lol

I like the sound of my own voice

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dias posted:

Eh, that's the exact reason why I'm calling a HM for Paige/Emma, NXT Arrival. Honorable, to me, means it needs some distinction even if it wasn't one of the best matches this year, and a good women's wrestling match that ended with a pretty sick submission deserves some recognition. Actually, I'm probably giving it a HM because of that sub, but gently caress it. We need to see more matches that go over five minutes and don't use butt-based finishers in the Divas division.

Also Cesaro/Zayn MOTYC, everyone said that already, whatever.

how do you feel about five minute men's matches that use butt-based finishers because I've got this mojo rawley for you

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I liked that match a whole heck a of lot and consider is a fairly strong MOTY contender so...

MOYTC: Okada vs. Ibushi - NJPW 3/6/14

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hulkamatt can we also add a German Suplex of the Year category because I would also like to nominate it for that

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Hanson vs Ciampa, ROH 12th Anniversary

That was an awesome sprint. Two big dudes throwing down and Hanson doing some crazy impressive stuff. I never thought Ciampa would be so good at being rag dolled.

I'll go MOTYC for Hero vs Cole from the same show.

yep yep

ROH TV is the best weekly wrestling show

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM: Sheamus vs. Christian - RAW 3/10/14

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM

Chris Hero vs. Masato Tanaka - Dragon Gate USA: Open the Ultimate Gate 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Struggling between HM and MOTYC for

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - Open the Freedom Gate Championship - Dragon Gate USA: Open the Ultimate Gate 2014

Put me down for MOTYC for now I guess. It was really great.

sure, second

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Invasion Attack 04/06

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Doc and Anderson vs Shibata and Goto INVASION ATTACK

Thauros posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW Invasion Attack 04/06
these

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fifthed but holy hell how do they follow that

well the show is over so i don't think that'll be a problem

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Roderick Strong vs Chris Hero: ROH Raising the Bar N1 3/7

MOTYC: Young Bucks vs ReDRagon: ROH Raising the Bar N2 3/8

Both are shown on ROH TV this weekend, watch them!

absolutely

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

MOTYC: Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin, RoH Supercard of Honor, 4/4/2014
HM: Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Cole, Ladder War, RoH World Championship Match, RoH Supercard of Honor, 4/4/2014

Agreed with these and adding

HM: Cedric Alexander vs. Roderick Strong - RoH Supercard of Honor, 4/4/2014

Steen/Elgin was my favorite match from WM weekend

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

WMOTYC 2CW Living on the Edge: Dalton Castle vs. Greg Iron vs. AR Fox vs. Isys Ephex vs. Dick Justice vs. Colin Delaney vs. Captain Nick Ando in a Captain's Rules Match

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sunsweet posted:

How many refs did they go through? Like, four?

yes, four refs and the final one was just some guy at ring side who put another ref's shirt on

Bard Maddox posted:

WMOTYC: Punisher van Slyke and Kevin "The Man" Graham vs. Sean Carr and Kage, 2CW Livin on the Edge, 4/18/2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

HM: AJ Styles vs. Johnny Gargano, 2CW Livin on the Edge, 4/18/2014

second!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM: Honma/Ishii - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 5/3/14

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SaberToothedPie posted:

HM: Okada/AJ Styles - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 5/3/14

ditto

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yea ok posted:

motyc ricochet vs yamoto
hm flamita vs susumu

5/5 dead or alive 2014

hey i just saw this show it was a lot of fun and I would like to 3rd these nominations and also add

HM: Akira Tozawa/Shingo Takagi vs. Masaaki Mochizuki/Don Fujii from Dragon Gate's Dead or Alive 5/5/14

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 7, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Was Ishii/Honma better than Ishii/Naito (when Ishii won the Never Openweight Title)? Because if so, holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit :stare:

I don't think it was. Ishii/Honma was crazy and basically a 15 minute sprint with huge moves and stuff (diving headbutts to the floor) but ultimately Ishii/Naito was cooler with a better finishing sequence.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

4th

Second

HM: BxB Hulk (Cyber Kong) vs. CIMA (Dragon Kid) vs. Jimmy Kanda (Jimmy Susumu) vs. Masato Yoshino (Shachihoko BOY) vs. Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin (Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!) vs. Naruki Doi (Kzy) in a Six Way Scramble Scapegoat Mask vs. Hair Cage Match. DG Dead or Alive 5/5/14

the true match of the year

http://gfycat.com/HauntingMeagerItaliangreyhound
http://gfycat.com/ScratchyAdoredFish
http://gfycat.com/SophisticatedRegalAndeancat

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

WMOTYC: The Beautiful People (Angelina Love & Velvet Sky) vs. Madison Rayne & Brittany, Evening Gown Match - 5/8 TNA: Impact Wrestling

You read that right, an evening gown match happened in 2014. Nothing strikes and flying nothings abound with an ending that will make you disgusted with yourself for having watched it. It's also over 10 mins so if you can't be bothered: After being eliminated, Velvet Sky comes back wearing a towel and flashes the ref so Angelina Love can blind Madison Rayne with a can of hairspray and strip her for the win. It's the worst part of the match, but not by much.

normally I wouldn't bother nominating something like an evening gown match but it lasted SO LONG so yes thirded

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

PWG Mystery Vortex II

HM: Cedric Alexander vs. Trevor Lee vs. Andrew Everett
HM: Unbreakable loving Machines (Michael Elgin and Brian Cage) vs. Inner City Machine Guns (Rich Swann and Ricochet) vs. African American Wolves (ACH and AR Fox)
HM: Johnny Gargano vs. Kyle O'Reilly
HM: Young Bucks vs. Best Friends

Very good show! Nothing out of this world but pretty consistently great start to finish.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 10, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Bucks vs. hooligans vs. TimeSplitters, ROH Global Wars 5/10

yeah

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Time to overrate things:

HM: Cedric vs Roderick
MOTYC: Steen vs Cole

yeah sure

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

MOTYC: Monster Express (Masato Yoshino, Ricochet, & Shingo Takagi) vs. Millenials (Eita, Yosuke Santa Maria, & Flamita) - 5/9/14 Dragon Gate King of Gate Day 1

HM: T-Hawk vs. Akira Tozawa - 5/9/14 Dragon Gate King of Gate Day 1

Best six man tag of the year, folks.

I was going to skip this one but I guess I won't now!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

MOTYC: Monster Express (Masato Yoshino, Ricochet, & Shingo Takagi) vs. Millenials (Eita, Yosuke Santa Maria, & Flamita) - 5/9/14 Dragon Gate King of Gate Day 1

HM: T-Hawk vs. Akira Tozawa - 5/9/14 Dragon Gate King of Gate Day 1

Best six man tag of the year, folks.

Seconding these. Trios match was hella fun

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fat Lowtax posted:

It was Crazy Steve and the Menagerie's music was playing the whole time, it was about as bad as it gets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyvDw2M2Kg

this commentary they did in post is the worst poo poo I've ever heard

also this was the end of Kaz's 10 years with TNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

• Locked thread