Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

New year, new prices!
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/comic-con-international-to-sell-only-single-day-badges/
It's now $200 for all 4 days + preview night ($165 w/o) and there's no more four day passes, it's all individual days.

I like to think this is because they think people will only pick the days they want rather than the four day but when they made the four day cost as much as buying individually that didn't change poo poo, this won't either. People will get the four day pass "just in case" there's something they want to do on another day.

In theory, the whole "buy the days you want" only works when people are given that information ahead of time. Since the schedule of panels and events isn't finalized and posted till about a week or two before, people have no clue what is happening when.

So yeah, there's still going to be a massive rush to get Friday and Saturday badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Interesting choice but it's their right.

The exclusives this year are still leaving me 'meh.'

Once you learn to not give a gently caress about con exclusives, the whole event gets a lot more enjoyable.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Just makes me think that Friday will be their feature film day in Hall H. I don't see SDCC giving them THAT much time for WB programing in Saturday's day.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
To be fair, I love watching a bunch of Drunk Hill Billy Squids do essentially nothing for 12 minutes without the use of any drugs.

Adult Swim can spin its magic and you'll probably blow some PA to get into their hip SDCC party if given the chance.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Number one rule for Comic Con is you ALWAYS carry cash with you and never assume places take cards. Chances are improving that they do these days, but even so, the internet in there is often so bad that if they're equipped to handle cards on tablets, it's going to be slow as gently caress.

Cash is key. Always carry cash no matter what.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
And this year's Power Rangers exclusive, just cause every year needs one of these to cause a cluster gently caress.

http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-bandais-green-ranger-set/

I'll admit, that takes me back. But poo poo if I'll give up two days just to try to get one. Why they even try to make it such a low production number is beyond me.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just don't get the mentality of con exclusives, or why they still try to keep it at such a high rarity. I just saw this for Wonder Woman tonner figures.
http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-wonder-woman-and-sheldon-cooper-tonner-dolls/

Limit of 100. I mean, 100? What the gently caress? Especially when attendance last year was 130,000+. Is your booth's employee's time so wasted that you give them the job of having to repeat over and over again that something sold out quickly?

I stopped seeking exclusives years ago when it ate up my time and sanity in lines. Especially when it's pretty clear that the perceived value is more for yourself and you'll more than likely not be able to move an item for a profit on 95% of the exclusives.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Tonner is like Hot Toys Barbie. They're ultra specialized but cost a loving fortune ($200ish per) because they have such a labor intensive process. 100 is actually a decent allocation for them iirc.

I guess it wasn't a rant directed at Tonner specifically, I just don't get how many companies do such a small run on exclusives. Where you're not even hitting 0.0001% of the con goers. I get some stuff is more niche than others, but I constantly see booths like Kid Robot do a very small run on something that is main stream and then have every hour past the first 10 minutes every day having to deal with telling people that their exclusives sold out even before the public was let in the doors.

At that point it's just a simple matter of either stop bothering or up your production run on exclusives as the crowds get bigger and bigger each year.

I get the need to keep things limited to create a fever for it, but it seems a lot of exclusives are horribly under produced to the point of why bother even listing it on the program/list of exclusives.

Jack Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

RevKrule posted:

What's worse, is when the company sells out ultra fast like that, their product ends up down in the bowels of con, Chinatown. And worse, these sellers are charging minimum double for it. You know who sees none of that money? The toy seller. Up your production game dammit!

This is really where the majority of those hasbro and mattel toys end up. I know a couple of dealers who do shows at various other show rooms/conventions, and they pretty much hit you up like a crack addict trying to score a fix in seeing if you can be a mule for them on the other exclusives if you so happen to be going to buy one item that day.

Then they mark it up at least triple the amount and just sell it to those who got assed out trying to go through the actual booth the exclusive is from. It's like a parasitic circle of life.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Finally getting around to actually map out a strategy for the program schedule. What the gently caress, Comic con. Gravity Falls is the panel right after my little ponies. Is Bronies still a loving thing? Essentially I'm leaning towards not trying since, well, that's at least 3 panel waiting. Meh.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, years of experience has taught me that nothing in Hall H is worth the wait. I have no idea how this new line wrist band system will work, but I'm sure it'll do nothing positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pedestrians had right of way as it was a crosswalk it getting on the hood and stopping in the crosswalk was a really stupid thing to do.

Being a pedestrian at the Gas Lamp is some seriously dangerous poo poo. Twice this year some rear end in a top hat kept driving ignoring a marked crosswalk (one honking like crazy at us) when we were walking through it.

I get motorist get annoyed with the amount of 140,000 descending onto the streets of downtown SD, but you get a lot of motorist stupid enough to keep going in that area and acting entitled.

One instance all the peds were yelling at them saying it's a cross walk as they angrily and aggressively tried to get through.

Oh yeah, and don't do shrooms at con.
http://imgur.com/a/XanMP

Or do - that poo poo is probably a way to deal with what happens at con.

• Locked thread