Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So if you can't get a 4 day pass anymore, are you going to get a badge for each day? Because christ that's going to be annoying. Not to mention I'll have to pick up 12 badges if that were to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Marriott, with the dumb-gently caress prices I paid last year, is already booked the whole week. Is this the norm and did I luck out last year by getting a room only a couple months before the Con?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

$2,600 give or take (around $600~ a night plus taxes) through Marriott's site, I never signed up for the lottery. I guess I lucked right the gently caress out?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mrfart posted:

Well, I got my pro pass + guest. Although the guest pass wasn't free.
They were sold out, despite registering within the minute :).

They weren't sold out. It took me nearly 15 minutes to get my badges (two free one paid) because the system was freaking out when I tried placing the order because it lost my information. I had to refresh the page and go through all of the steps but it when through without a hitch that time.

Dr Tran posted:

Could you tell if you had to go through the same lottery process the rest of us will have to go through?

No lottery.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mrfart posted:

Well, I guess the guest thing was a lottery of sorts then.
Because I had to pay. But I'm not gonna complain about it, it's the first time I ever had to pay anything.

With Professional status you should get you badge for free and you can get two additional guest badges one is free the other is paid in full. :confused:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Tran posted:

These are the lovely faraway hotels. However, they are cheaper.

No kidding, man these are inconvenient.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jimmy James posted:

I clicked book me at a higher rate even though I'm not sure what that means. I hope it doesn't mean 800 dollars.

I think it means "You'll be booked at the standard cost of the hotel during the event" which is probably around $600.

Axel Serenity posted:

Awesome. Thanks guys! So, what's everyone hoping for? First two I had in were Marriott Gaslamp and then the Omni, but I know those are popular. We made sure to choose some of the downtown hotels about a mile out just in case, too. :ohdear:

This really is like the Hunger Games the more you think about it.

My group is all trying for the Marriot Marina and everything else close by. This poo poo is awful. Last year I just reserved a hotel through their site and ended up paying out the rear end, funds aren't great this year so it's my first time having to go through the lotto and I'm dreading it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan Smithee posted:

If you don't get parking IN the convention center there's ONE COOL TRICK to getting cheap parking that They Don't Want You To Know About

I don't know if you're being sarcastic?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is it safe to assume that if we don't have anything by now we're hosed?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Then I guess I'll just give it until the evening to have my dreams (and trip) ruined.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Tran posted:

Twitter seems to think the denials went out first.

My girlfriend got her denial but one of my friends was assigned to a hotel (that he didn't choose) that's 4 miles away without shuttle service. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, got the Hotel Del Cornado 5 miles away. This wouldn't be that bad because at least I got something, but they honestly expect me to pay $319 for being this far out? gently caress that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Soarer posted:

Are reservations transferable? Because we also got the Westin Gaslamp (gf got our Hilton) which is a hell of a lot closer with one king bed for $239 a night.

I've already offered to our friends but if they don't take it I'll transfer to you if I can.

If we can transfer I'll definitely take you up on the offer, the hotel is basically going to make or break the trip for my group, everyone in the group said "gently caress that" when I told them what hotel we got and the price. Utterly ridiculous.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Holy gently caress, the Hotel Del Coronado is nice as poo poo. That's where I'd go if I were bringing friends who weren't gonna con it up the whole time.

That's the problem, we are going to Con it up the whole time and after having the convenience of the Marriott Marina last year there's no way the Hotel Del Coronado is going to fly, we were constantly making trips back and forth with hauls of poo poo and relaxing every couple hours or so in the room for a half hour.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So NECAs first exclusive for SDCC has been announced, Super Freddy from Nightmare 5.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll probably be doing the Hasbro Shuffle this year again depending on what the exclusive Transformer figures are, probably going to drag the girlfriend into that misery too so maybe we'll be able to get double of whatever they offer. If we can organize it, I wouldn't mind picking up stuff for goons so not everyone wastes their whole Preview Night.

edit: More NECA Exclusives, three pack of Pacific Rim figures in all black and fancy packaging:

http://necaonline.com/48121/blog/san-diego-comic-con/sdcc-feature-friday-2-exclusive-end-titles-pacific-rim-action-figure-3-pack/

sigher fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 25, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan Smithee posted:

Hehehe, Goat Man™ Figure

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that laughed at this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Would any kind goons going to SDCC be willing to grab NECA's Ahab Predator for me? :kiddo:

I'll definitely try! Does NECA always do cash only? I didn't buy anything from them last year because I never carry cash. I'll have a pull out some this time I suppose.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Last year it was cash only, kinda poo poo. I'll try though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RevKrule posted:

If you're using the ATMs inside the convention center, you deserve to be ripped off on fees and lines.

I too believe people should get hosed out of their money for using convenient options.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RevKrule posted:

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating anyone get hosed out of money, I'm advocating being smarter with your money, especially if going a little out of your way and pre-planning can save you some good coin.

I get it but I saying people "deserve to be ripped off" comes off as kind of rear end in a top hat-ish.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jack Skeleton posted:

And this year's Power Rangers exclusive, just cause every year needs one of these to cause a cluster gently caress.

http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/07/sdcc-2014-exclusive-bandais-green-ranger-set/

I'll admit, that takes me back. But poo poo if I'll give up two days just to try to get one. Why they even try to make it such a low production number is beyond me.

Fuuuck, good luck with getting that whoever dare braves you. You poor souls.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I want that Gotham one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bobula posted:

It's too bad none of the exclusives I've seen so far are very exciting to me. I like cool art stuff like that rad Steamboat Mickey I bought a year or two ago.

Same here, but I guess it's better for my wallet anyway. Plus I can just buy stuff to eBay it later.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I need one of those Alien Isolation bags. My preview might was a bust, we arrived way too late for a lot of the exclusives we want so I'm going to be wasting all of tomorrow borrowing stuff. Thanks to the goon and hooked me and my girlfriend up with the Embassy Suites but holy gently caress, Valet only and it's $40 a DAY.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan Smithee posted:

Park in the Mariott lot

lose your ticket

pay for a full day when you come back during the weekend

The self parking?

Also, just woke up at 4 to get a Hasbro voucher, made it into the building only to have most of the line broken up because they ran out of vouchers. After three hours of waiting and two hours of sleep, at least in Hall H you'll eventually get in. :smith: Last year I had no problem getting a Hasbro voucher, this is utterly nuts. It's only my second year going but it's incredible apparent the con has grown too big for it's own good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Met Justin Wong and Grant Imahara, pretty sweet con so far. Also have managed to keep the spending to a minimum, but just saw something that might hurt my wallet. Trying to be strong.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocco posted:

This is insane to me. The dude thought him and his children were in danger. Two guys "sitting on his hood as a joke" was perceived as a threat and he gunned it. He had every right to protect his kids. Are people really defending the loving zombie walk over this?

Yes, I too think it's ok to push and shove my way through a crowd when I'm being impatient. In a car. Then gun it and not give a poo poo about any of the lives that surround my vehicle. You're pretty dumb dude.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Axel Serenity posted:

I definitely agree. I mean, it'd be nice just to take the Metro down from Burbank on a personal level, but LA would be a terrible venue for the Con as a whole. There's nothing to do there, and even if a ton of SDCC attendees are LA natives... we go to get out of the city for a while and enjoy San Diego. Having it in town would suck the fun out of it. Downtown LA is a ghost town after 8, anyway.

There's stuff to do in LA but the problem is it's so spread out that there's no way you're going to do anything without a car. Also Downtown becomes the most lively after 8 because that's when all of the crackheads come out of the woodwork trying to slang you some Oxy; it's horrid. San Jose is pretty good with accommodating Fanime but there isn't poo poo-all to do in the city after dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are we going to make a new thread for this year or just keep using this one? I could have sworn I ordered my Pro badges sometime in January and now I'm fearing I missed the window but there hasn't been any updates in the thread so :shrug:

• Locked thread