Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The whole convention really is a love/hate relationship. I tend to hate actually being there, wedged between thousands of people just to move a few feet, and waiting in line for hours to buy an action figure. But, once it's over, I really miss it and can't wait for it to come back around again. I'm not a veteran by any means since I only started going a few years ago. I've only known it when it's crowded, so that may color my judgement of it.

I've found it's really what you make of it. You can sit there being miserable in line and among the crowds. But, personally, I love getting the opportunity to talk with like-minded fans and interesting characters. I still remember chats I've had with people I never got the names of or will ever see again, but they undoubtedly made the experience a positive one. Yes, waiting in line sucks rear end, but it's also really fun to go without sleep for one week of the year and just do whatever the gently caress you want in downtown San Diego every night because you're not at loving work for once. You're at goddamn Comic Con! It really is just an incredible atmosphere, and is really fun if you can accept it for what it's become. Really, I think the overall prices and difficulty getting hotel rooms is by-far the biggest drawback to SDCC now. Well over the lines and crowds.

Besides, I mostly go for the cosplayers and getting photos for work stuff. I don't know where the complaints are about not being able to get good shots. Maybe in the exhibit hall it's really crowded, but the outer halls are always open for great shots and have better light anyway. :)

It's the last year my Trade Pro badge is good, so I'm hoping to go all out and get a really great hotel closer to the convention (I had Sheraton last year up by the bay. Not bad but the bus was still 30 minutes after traffic). My girlfriend is going for the first time, so it'll be nice having fresh eyes taking it all in, even though she's not really a huge nerd. I really wish I could be a first-timer again and just be overwhelmed by it all.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The panel thing for me isn't really about the panel itself. Usually, with SDCC being such a huge consumer of energy, it's nice to take one of the days and just do nothing but veg out in one of the panel halls for half the day. I try to make it one of the halls I genuinely want to see, but the whole "waiting in line" thing doesn't become an issue since the whole point is "not to walk around the exhibit hall for a bit."

I definitely agree that some of the lesser known panels are genuinely great. The only big panel that I thought was really great was the WB/Legendary one from 2012 that was basically a rock concert. But, even then, the best parts weren't the big Hobbit panels or anything. Instead, I loved the surprise appearances from Will Farrell and Zach Galifinakis where they just riffed each other for half an hour. Or, before the WB panel, Sony had a small presentation for "End of Watch" of all things, which was absolutely gripping even though it was mostly just filler for people sitting in the hall waiting for WB or the Avengers later in the day.

I think I'm gonna take my "panel day" to some of the side rooms this year for like Vertigo and stuff. I'm sure my GF will want to go to the Arrow panel or something, though, so we'll see how that goes. Hope she knows what she's getting into!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Welp, first time I'll be doing this the day of reservations, so time to start freaking the Hell out. If all else fails, we stayed at the Sheraton Marina a ways away last time and it wasn't too bad but I'd really like to get in Downtown this year. At least the prices are a lot better than I expected this year.

Hoping being there and ready at 9AM with our list gives us a chance. :ohdear:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Had it done within a minute of open and I am still nervous as poo poo. I shouldn't have the shakes over a drat hotel reservation. :negative:

Anyone know the approximate timeframe on hearing back? I know it says within 48 hours, but does it typically take that long? I'm probably just as interested in the recap email to see if I even filled the drat thing out right at this point.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Awesome. Thanks guys! So, what's everyone hoping for? First two I had in were Marriott Gaslamp and then the Omni, but I know those are popular. We made sure to choose some of the downtown hotels about a mile out just in case, too. :ohdear:

This really is like the Hunger Games the more you think about it.

Jimmy James posted:

I clicked book me at a higher rate even though I'm not sure what that means. I hope it doesn't mean 800 dollars.

It means going up to a suite/double bed/etc. So, yes, it means possibly $800 (well, maybe not that much, but poo poo ain't cheap)

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

If you don't get parking IN the convention center there's ONE COOL TRICK to getting cheap parking that They Don't Want You To Know About

Take the train from LA? :getin:

Biggest news today is that Conan will be hosting his show at SDCC next year, which also confirms the dates. Dunno when they start cutting off advanced booking through Priceline and all that, but I think I'll have to try it to see what kind of rates you get outside Travel Planners and avoid this mess.

Got my confirmation (not the actual reservation) around 2 PDT, so it seems like things are moving smoothly on their end this year, at least.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Coming from LA what is this "train" you speak of?

Amtrak, dude! It's the way to go and avoid the shithole that is the 5 on SDCC Sunday. Last year, we rode with Seth Green and a few other peeps who also know what's up.

Burbank Stations are usually really light if you leave on the Wednesday. Tickets were about $35 each way, I think last time I took it?

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Did you actually do the "mind if I sit" thing or

Honestly, you'll probably meet people that on the platform waiting before the train ever comes. Just chat 'em up and 90% of the celebrities are cool with it or they wouldn't be taking the train. Hell, chat anyone up who's waiting and you'll tend to find some cool people willing to share seats out of sake of necessity. You meet some pretty interesting characters, and maybe some acquaintances you'll get to know throughout the convention.

Neraren posted:

I'm out of town on business, and my brother and mother both thought the date for hotels was tomorrow. :( I'm going to end up 15 miles away from the convention center.

That really sucks, but the good news is they usually have a second wave of hotels go up later on after the main cancellation dates pass. Or, they have in some past years. They're usually not downtown hotels, but stuff in Mission Valley/Harbor Island tends to be fairly easy to book right up to the con and are on the Shuttle Route.

Last time, I stayed at the Sheraton Marina on Harbor Island, and while the bus ride is about 30 minutes and not really good for mid-day trips back, the hotel itself was very nice. I'd recommend it if you have no other options.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Instant Sunrise posted:

(bag check is your friend here)

The biggest understatement of the Convention. I know it's in the OP, but really, really need to reemphasize that bag-check is only, like, $2 and you can go back and forth as much as you want.

I usually stick my camera bag there and fill it with snacks throughout the day (Uncrustables, granola bars, some fruit and sandwiches maybe). Having lunch/snacks on-site without having to lug around a 10-pound bag all day is absolutely vital.

Not sure if there are too many photographers here, but if you are, I'd highly recommend the Tamrac Adventure Series bags. Bottom half is camera stuff, but the top half is a regular backpack to stuff poo poo in and the laptop portion in the back is great for the books and programs you get throughout the day. It's, like, a bag made for SDCC.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Still waiting for mine. Waiting for the S and O groups to go out. :ohdear:

Also, some people are reporting the room rates in their confirmation being different than the quoted rates on the CCI form so be sure to give that a look. Probably a ppl/bed thing, but no firm details yet.

e: Yessss got the Marriott Gaslamp as our first choice!

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 10, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Also, what's up Marriott Gaslamp buddy!!!!

:hfive:

Hell yeah, man! Do goons here ever set up a quick barhop night or anything? It'd be cool to hang around with people that know how to handle the nightlife during SDCC. It'll be my first year actually downtown and my girlfriend's first con ever, so we wanna do it right. :)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Drake Lake posted:

Thanks, I'm down to give it a shot. April 23rd is that second chance thing, right? Or can I still book now?

Earlier today, the Early Bird hotels were still available, though they likely went pretty fast once the denial emails went out. Can't hurt to check the SDCC website, though.

Otherwise, yes, the 23rd will open some up. There are always cancellations due to people requesting multiple rooms "just in case" for Hotelpocalypse and whatnot. Downtown hotels are pretty much guaranteed to be a no-go, but Mission Valley and Harbor Island will certain have reasonable rooms go up.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think they're banking (in fact, I am almost positive they are banking) on the idea that SDCC now is kind of like Coachella is to most of Los Angeles: a "cool" thing you go to just to say you went. So, hey, a concert from a popular tv show is totally ok, right? Even after all these years in the industry, it boggles my mind how much they over/underestimate the fan bases of a convention they practically run in an attempt to "get it."

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, no badge resales this year.

Not too surprising given how much the con has grown, but I know a few people who will be disheartened anyway. I try to warn people, but apparently people think the popularity and difficulty of SDCC is an exaggeration or something.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Unironically excited for this. LP puts on a loving awesome show if they are playing more than one song. Plus it gives my non-nerd GF and I a nice date so she can get into the con scene some.

I know a lot of people complain about how big the con gets, but this is a great example of the positive side of that. Free major concert in loving Petco?! Yes, please.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Interesting choice but it's their right.

The exclusives this year are still leaving me 'meh.'

Yeah. Nothing in my price range this year, and the fun stuff ended up looking kind of derpy (that Lana figure).

More money for beers and art, then. It'll be a nice change of pace.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

I'll say this, once I stopped "needing" exclusives, I started having more fun at SDCC. I no longer waste a day just trying to get into lines for a piece of plastic. It become really relaxing honestly.

This year, I'm gonna try and bring fewer books with me. I don't need to be the nerd who shows up with a huge stack of comics to be signed. Plus by bringing less, I won't have a bag that wears me down by the end of the day.

However, art buying is still going to be my ruination and I know it.

Kindle Supremacy :getin:

Apparently Anne Rice, Chuck Palahniuk, Daniel H Wilson, Charles Wu, and Michael Cho are doing book signings for Random House this year. Incoming cougar goths!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, everything we thought we knew is about to change. DC to Premiere TV Slate in Hall H

No way in hell I'm wasting a whole Saturday for that, despite how awesome it will be. I'm sure those of you who brave it are in for a good time, if the leaked pilots are any judge so far.

Now I'm really curious what is going to happen in Ballroom 20. I know the Masquerade is in the evening, but those shows are still a pretty massive block that would normally go there at some point during the Con instead of Hall H. Also wonder if that means WB is basically getting the evening to themselves once they release their Features schedule for this year.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 1, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Fox used to (still does?) run like a whole evening of pilots on Wednesday night in Hall H so this isn't new. The difference between what WB used to do is now they don't need to find panel room in smaller rooms to show these individually and get to compete with people who don't care about cosplay.

WB is the one that used to (and likely still will) show their pilots in Ballroom 20 on Preview Night. There's no reason to think that would change since it's always been counter-programming to people rushing for exclusives. Plus, we still don't know the times involved.

It's interesting in the sense that Hall H is typically a Feature Film room, barring HBO megahits like Game of Thrones or whatever. This is just the WB television slate, and there's no reason to doubt that Nikki Finke's scoop about their features was incorrect. So that means, what? 5-6 hours of total WB programming alone in Hall H once their films get involved? I mean, it's great from WB's perspective, but as an attendee, it shakes things up quite a bit after several years of expectations regarding what goes where and when.

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks, but that makes things really interesting as far as what this means for other shows/presenters, especially if Disney is supposedly going to have a presence beyond just Marvel properties (Big Hero 6 is getting a booth alone). Sounds like Saturday is basically shaping up to be just a few really huge presentations instead of several studios getting smaller portions.

Unless, of course, WB moves their film panels to Friday, which would make things really crazy.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 1, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Honestly, moving their movies to Fridays would own. It'd just be different. Maybe they figure SDCC is so big now, they don't need to rely on just one "bigger" day for the main releases.

Going to the big movie panels is fun, but I've never experience Saturday just walking around the con. If you do Hall H on Saturday, you are parked and committing an entire day with the way schedules have been for the past few years. It'd be nice to switch that up by moving the big panels to some of the "lesser" days so you get a nice spread of experiences.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
WB TV Panels announced. Films will probably be announced by the end of this week.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Space_Butler posted:

I'm guessing that means the rest of the networks WB owns will be rolling out their own schedules soon. At least from that, it looks like Adult Swim is back in Indigo on Friday.

Yeah. HBO is run by Time-Warner but is its own beast as far as operations go, so we'll probably see Game of Thrones and all that soon-ish. WB likely already has confirmation from CCI but doesn't want to put out too much at once.

Girlfriend's excited about the Following getting a nice dead hour. Also good to see Constantine going to 6BCF. Maybe I'll get to put my cosplay to good use and get in. :3:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Satorr posted:

Uh...

2:30–3:15 p.m. — Mike Tyson Mysteries (Premiering this fall, Adult Swim): In this new animated comedy series, Mike Tyson is taking the fight from the boxing ring to the streets … by solving mysteries! Join us for a first look at this new adult animated series and a can’t-miss panel featuring Mike Tyson, Rachel Ramras (MAD), Jim Rash (Community) and producer Hugh Davidson (The Looney Tunes Show). Indigo Ballroom

:wtc:

You are a TV executive. Mike Tyson is in your office pitching a show. How do you respond?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rocco posted:

HA! Wrong! Busted!

...We have a Con Exclusive Blu Ray this year.

Ugh! Way to sell out to The Man. Call me when you return to your roots and sell on Betamax.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just have a checking account that refunds ATM fees, scrubs :smug:

Also, for reals, if you have a credit union that's part of the ATM co-op network, there are some locations near Horton plaza if you need to load up before the Con.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Fox TV Lineup Announced. Includes American Horror Story debut. Also, lanyards this year are Penny Dreadful themed, which I am super stoked about.

Also, for those that have gone to the Preview Night screenings, what's the atmosphere like? Is it fairly easy to get in or is it a madhouse line like B20 is most of the rest of the Con. GF and I aren't really interested in exclusives this year, but it'd be cool to see the pilots.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 7, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

It's pretty much the only panel of the night and certainly the only big studio panel of the night. I think it's easier to get into Hall H on Saturday some years than getting into the pilot screenings.

Well that's disappointing.

I was hoping with them just being screenings and not full panels it would be easier. Well, guess I'll just have to scope out the line after hotel check-in. :sigh:

If nothing else maybe I can go snag one of those Frozen Funko exclusives this year for the lady. Maybe that will soften the blow.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Luckily, Arrow is in Ballroom 20 so you won't have to worry about Hall H! :v: (you will still have to worry)

Neil Gaiman doc and the Metallica presentation seem like fun small-room panels. Really don't want to deal with H or B20 but some of these announcements make it tough. Daniel Radcliff is going to have an insane audience.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
They will be. Zach usually holds announcements until the official SDCC schedule is released so they can confirm times with panels and whatnot. Expect something Monday or Tuesday, most likely.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, this Nerd HQ is going to be nuts. Jeff Bridges? Goddamn, dudes! Never done any of the Conversations, but I'll definitely be looking at that full list this week.

As for the wristbands, it doesn't sound too crazy. It just cuts down on one person willing to wake up at 2AM to hold the line for 5 others not willing to wait it out, too. Beyond that, it sounds like it's essentially the same thing as the red placeholder cards you get at Disneyland to help staff update the Wait Time list.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Really want all those bags. Such a great lineup this year.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Guys... it's almost time! :neckbeard:

We'll be taking the train from Burbank down in the morning if anyone else is going that route. Like, 9am or something? Seat snaggings?

Would love to say hello to a few goons. If all else fails, I'll be walking around as Constantine on Saturday with bleached hair and whatnot. Really hoping to make the most out of this year, and the more the merrier when it comes to SDCC festivities (like there's ever a slow event anyway). We missed out of all the Nerd HQ panels due to botters and all, so most of our panels and highlights are pretty open to random happenings if you hear of something pretty cool going on.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

Does anybody have preview night?
If so, could you stop by the Cartoon Network booth and get me the freebie?

Depends how the Ballroom 20 line, but I'll try, dude. May want to have another goon backup just in case. Which freebie is it?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
B20 isn't too bad for the preview screenings. Should be a chill night.

Got a Flash bag but that will die when I do.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Fat Ariel Count: 1

Also, B20 is only half full. Get in here if you want cool shows with cool people.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The one year I resolve to avoid panels is the year Nolan shows up. At least my girlfriend got to experience her first big convention reveal. :(

Also, it's funny how age works. As much as people used to make fun of Linkin Park ten years ago, they are really, really loving good to see these days. MTV had no clue what SDCC attendees wanted and spent two hours doing stupid production poo poo to try and gloss up the show, but LP made it all worth it. Goddamn.

Ice cream trucks tomorrow. Big panels. I'll probably be walking around as Constantine on Saturday (did for a little bit today, too). It's hot as balls out.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
B20 line is pretty chill. Still inside convention center. Getting into Korea after BBT writers clear out looks like a chance!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Uh, I'm fairly sure there have been a ton of big names, if not even bigger than past years (Nolan, Radcliff, Cumberbatch, pretty much every DC and Marvel person). And Hall H is still a shitshow, apparently, so I don't know where any evidence of a dying Con is coming from.

The only difference is that more people are experienced at attending now, and SDCC has everything run to a science. The con is growing so large that people are doing more outside the convention center instead of sitting for official panels now, as well.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Most of my updates, I've put up on my website or my CNN iReport profile, but goon-to-goon, I thought this was a great year on the whole. I still didn't get out for the nightlife as much as I would have liked despite staying right in the Gaslamp (my gf and I have completely different sleep cycles, so it kind of sucked trying to go have fun on my own :( ) but overall it was the same craziness we know and love from the last few years.

I skipped most of the big panels this year, which I slightly regret when it turned out Nolan showed up, but I did really, really enjoy the panels I did step in for (Korra, Arrow). On the flip side, I did love the outside events quite a bit. Kacy Catanzaro did the little Assassin's Creed course and made a complete joke of it, which was pretty awesome to catch by accident, and our Constantine cosplay meet-up fuckin' owned.

Te heat was kind of brutal, and it's nice to be back in my own apartment. But, I'm already looking forward to next year, hopefully as Press for the first time. Also, super glad I skipped out on some of the tempting exclusives and put money/time towards artists and freebie posters instead. I need so many frames now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It's a bad situation all around, unfortunately. Yes, the Zombie Walk people just hanging out in the street were being dicks about not letting traffic through. Still, pedestrians have the rightaway, and if you're at a major event like Comic Con with crowds everywhere, you don't inch a 1,500 lb object into said crowd.

I'm sure with all the video evidence out and about, there will be citations issued for both sides. I don't think Zombie Walk is in jeopardy, but SDPD might require them to go through more red tape and organization to ensure this doesn't happen again. Likely, a parade permit might be needed.

It could have been much worse.

• Locked thread