Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoctorWhat posted:

wow look at how wrong this guy is

Yes, yes you are.

radlum posted:

I like Larry Wilmore, he was always good on TDS; the thing that worries me is that they changed the title of the show from Minority Report to The Nightly Show; I get why they had to change the name, but I feel they could have used something less silly and cutesy; it works for Last Week Tonight, but it feels wrong for a show that is suppossed to give a more minority focused perspective. Anyway, I'd still watch it and I hope it is as good as I know Wilmore can be.

I would say that making the show the gently caress da Police half hour would get old super fast even though it's topical (and probably will remain so) but then again Colbert made an O'Reilly parody last 9 years. But Willmore is no Colbert and his Senior Black Correspondent segments aren't generally funny at all (where Jessica Williams' always are) so I don't know. Dude has an impressive resume though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

Yeah I do, he's not funny. At all.

He's always been a little hit or miss on The Daily Show (I like him, but I can see it getting old with some people), but his podcast Judge John Hodgman is an absolute masterpiece.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Afro posted:

I for on am optimistic that Larry Willmore and The Nightly Show will be really good.

And for the first time in my life I will actively watch a Late Night show just to have more Colbert in my life.

Came here to post exactly this, so instead I'm just going to quote you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I thought Wilmore's show was going to be called The Minority Report? When did it change?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

thrawn527 posted:

He's always been a little hit or miss on The Daily Show (I like him, but I can see it getting old with some people), but his podcast Judge John Hodgman is an absolute masterpiece.

Yeah, Hodgman is funny sometimes and other times not. That podcast, I'll agree, is pretty amazing, though. His appearances on The Best Show with Tom Scharpling are usually pretty great, too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

thrawn527 posted:

I thought Wilmore's show was going to be called The Minority Report? When did it change?

When people at Fox got antsy about how close it sounded to one of their IPs.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Here's a full list of guests in order of appearance:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/full-list-of-celebrities-featured-in-the-colbert-report-finale/

Revelations: that was his actual family front and center in the final sweep :3:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
One of my favorite Colbert moments came before the Report, and was triggered by four words: "Al Sharpton isn't here."

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The song didn't really do anything for me (nothing wrong with it, just didn't grab me) but I thought the closing scene with the outtake with Jon and Stephen was hilarious and sweet. Looking forward to Wilmore.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EasyEW posted:

One of my favorite Colbert moments came before the Report, and was triggered by four words: "Al Sharpton isn't here."

Oh man, I haven't seen that since I was in high school.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I watched a "Best Moments" montage on the Comedy Central website, and I had totally forgotten he went to Iraq to do the report for the troops over there, and got his head shaved. That was so awesome.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/12/heres-a-supercut-of-all-the-times-stephen-colbert-broke-character/

Suq Ma Diq and Munchma Quchi will never stop being funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Wilmore is going to get heavily scrutinized no matter what. He's bound to have hiccups and problems from the start and people are bound to be disappointed and compare him badly to Colbert.

The key will be Comedy Central giving him enough time to work out the kinks and find his style and voice. And then for fans to get over Colbert. That will take time and hopefully Stewart's involvement will give him the wiggle room.

Or it might suck. But only time will tell.

The timing still sucks with John Oliver.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Majorian posted:

You do NOT get to slam His Supreme Honor Judge John Hodgman, you Philistine.
I wish he had a show, but I don't think America could handle an American version of QI :smith:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.maviscalling.com

drat, I'm gonna miss the Report

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Strange Quark posted:

When people at Fox got antsy about how close it sounded to one of their IPs.

Which is honestly bullshit, because they can't just say they own common phrases like that, can they?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

bobkatt013 posted:

Was Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello there singing? I hope that both continue to appear on Colbert's show.

:) Me too!

Really going to miss The Report :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Which is honestly bullshit, because they can't just say they own common phrases like that, can they?

Fox produced the movie adaptation of the Phillip K Dick story and are now making a tv show of it with possibly the shittiest premise possible. So in this case they really do own it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Fox produced the movie adaptation of the Phillip K Dick story and are now making a tv show of it with possibly the shittiest premise possible. So in this case they really do own it.

Oh. God dammit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

They didn't actually say they were making one, they just said they might, someday, possibly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

They didn't actually say they were making one, they just said they might, someday, possibly.

They ordered a pilot last I heard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Didn't he crack up so badly there because that's actually a picture of his mom or something?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Kibayasu posted:

Didn't he crack up so badly there because that's actually a picture of his mom or something?

Even better. It was his mother in law.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wow, I never knew that. I thought it was just the power of the punny name.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Steve Vader posted:

Wow, I never knew that. I thought it was just the power of the punny name.

Yeah, that makes the joke even more awesome.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, Hodgman is funny sometimes and other times not. That podcast, I'll agree, is pretty amazing, though. His appearances on The Best Show with Tom Scharpling are usually pretty great, too.

Also I saw his latest standup act one-man show at UCSB, and it was absolutely brilliant. Anybody who does not find Hodgman putting on a purple dress and becoming Ayn Rand funny, literally has no sense of humor.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

STAC Goat posted:

I think Wilmore is going to get heavily scrutinized no matter what. He's bound to have hiccups and problems from the start and people are bound to be disappointed and compare him badly to Colbert.

The key will be Comedy Central giving him enough time to work out the kinks and find his style and voice. And then for fans to get over Colbert. That will take time and hopefully Stewart's involvement will give him the wiggle room.

Stewart was the EP of the Demetri Martin show...

Wasn't the show going to be some sort of panel type program? It'll be interesting if they can keep it funny. I guess if they can have a show with completely rehearsed bits like @Midnight, they could

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Is it me, or is Jordan Klepper the worst correspondent in Daily Show history?

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

CSM posted:

Klepper reminds me a lot of the classic Daily Show correspondents (Colbert, Carrell, Oliver, Brown, etc.) without any of the special magic that made all of them great. Which is too bad, because I miss the "... Jon?" style correspondent bits.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CSM posted:

I don't hate him but every segment he does is exactly the same.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CSM posted:

Dmitri Martin and Olivia Munn would like to have a word with you.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
in Living Color was formative in shaping my sense of humor so I'm hoping The Nightly Show does well

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Even if we're just talking current correspondents, I'd still put Klepper waaaaaaaay above Samantha Bee. I don't think I've laughed at a single one of her bits in like two years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Olivia Munn wasn't a good fit for TDS, but she did have that endearing Tiger Mom bit and that uncanny Michele Bachmann impression.

Klepper rules. I sort of get a Helms/Rob Corddry vibe from him. (Almost forget there was briefly another Corddry on TDS.)

Also I'm preaching to the choir here, but Jessica Williams has the potential to be a top tier correspondent. In a few years she can be Colbert/Oliver levels of great.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I really like Klepper.

The worst in recent memory is definitely Josh Gad though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

TealShark posted:

Klepper reminds me a lot of the classic Daily Show correspondents (Colbert, Carrell, Oliver, Brown, etc.) without any of the special magic that made all of them great. Which is too bad, because I miss the "... Jon?" style correspondent bits.

He's like an off brand diet lukewarm Jason Jones to me. He's not bad per se but it really feels more like he's mimicking other correspondents then actually performing.

I like him more than Sam Bee and 3/4 of modern day Lewis Black.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CSM posted:

That will never be true, because Mo Rocca.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's weird with Sam Bee and Jason Jones lately. I like them and appreciate what they do and the craft of their jokes, and I can see where the stuff they create SHOULD be funny, but for some reason I don't really laugh. Then again, I've always been uncomfortable with the 'gently caress with perfectly nice people and try to get them to say crappy things' style of awkwardness. Jessica Williams, I like a lot. Klepper's got kind of the same thing as Bee and Jones right now. Mandvi is great. Black doesn't quite seem to have it anymore.

I think Wilmore has an easy charm, though, and I think that could work really well, and I think The Nightly Show will be fine. And I like Hodgman.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Soylentbits posted:

He's like an off brand diet lukewarm Jason Jones to me. He's not bad per se but it really feels more like he's mimicking other correspondents then actually performing.

I like him more than Sam Bee and 3/4 of modern day Lewis Black.

I feel like there's basically two ways to do a correspondent piece: pretend to be a crazy monster and make your character half the joke (Jones and Sam Bee, most of the old correspondents) or be a likable, witty audience surrogate that just says the stuff we wish we could say (Williams, Aasif Mandvi). I feel like Klepper hasn't really landed on a specific voice: he occasionally plays stupid, but he doesn't stay in character as hard as guys like Colbert or Jones would. In the atheist/diner piece, he tried an audience surrogate approach. I think he just lacks a consistent angle, or character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm fine with Klepper. I don't think he's revolutionizing anything and he's definitely not delivering like Williams or Mandvi but I don't think he detracts from his bits and they tend to make me laugh at least a little. There's definitely been way worse that have done nothing for me, even if none of them seem to be around right now.

So he's probably the worst the show has right now but they've got a pretty solid crop at the moment so he's far from the worst ever. And as said I think his main problem is he hasn't quite figured out his voice/character.

• Locked thread