Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Acquilae posted:

:laffo: I love how everything is green screened.

Remember: the U.S. spends more on advertising than education(source: my macroecon teacher).

The cereal itself was all green too. I bet someone spent a few hours picking out every single green Froot Loop from a few boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

And so was the milk, hence my St Patricks day comment. Maybe it was Apple Jacks? They're green right?

Oh yeah, I haven't head Apple Jacks in near two decades, that would probably be easier. I would think that just adding green colouring to milk would work so that's pretty easy, I was just amused by someone spending an hour painstakingly separating differently coloured children's cereal for a two second bit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I'm just watching Colbert now and... "suck the marrow from it"? Is that a phrase now because what the hell?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Wasn't Peter Schiff the chief goldbug who worked for the Ron Paul campaign?

e: yeah he was the guy claiming gold was gonna shoot up to something ridiculous like $4k/oz like last year

All while selling it for actual money I presume.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

And you have to be in america (or know how to fake an american IP address).

The CBC up in Canada used to have the last few episodes up, too.

The last week's episodes are all uploaded to The Comedy Network site in Canada.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

So if I understood that segment right, the F-35 is basically the equivalent of paying thousands of people to dig holes and then refill the holes, only it also wastes a lot of resources we could use for other things?

Reminds me of a Star Trek story, probably a book, where a planet of people did meaningless work all day long so they could earn points to plugging into a jerk-off machine (pleasure machine, but you can't say what you mean in a Star Trek book I guess).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Since there's no shows this coming week, might as well :regd08:

White & Nerdy

Philip Glass music from that gorilla movie (doesn't match up too well, but proves footage is versatile enough for anti-McConnell ads)

Well, White & Nerdy just made me notice there's a total of 3 not-white people in his entire video, not including his wife.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Nobody would give the fraction of a poo poo they give about either of those people if one hadn't been on SNL and the other on Loveline, both with much more interesting / funny people for them to play off of.

It also doesn't help that when it comes to "conservative comedy" that by nature it pretty much has to be from the perspective of the status quo, so when you're making jokes about oppressed minorities you tend to come off as a piece of poo poo.

In other words, this.

The way I see it there's only a few ways to avoid the "punching downward" problem of the usual kind of "conservative" comedy, one being making fun of those "liberals" who in a mad rush to check the privileges of everyone everywhere or whatever and just end up being another, minor, kind of oppressor. Feminist groups who exclude trans-women, "gamers" who get furious at women who like the sexy clothes most women characters in game end up in, that kind of thing. Unfortunately that would require actual research, intelligent writing, and more than talking like a 1960's hippy asking for another latte.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

terrez posted:

Man the Daily Show audience last night was pretty dead :/

Sam Bee's segment is something that its pretty hard to laugh out loud at, I think, and if I was there I wouldn't want to interrupt :allears:

It also didn't help that the new correspondent I haven't bothered to learn the name of yet in first half wasn't that great this time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hour long Daily Show. Double your daily dose of rage and sadness of US politics :getin:

Not really

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

In non-Colbert news, the NCAA did a thing. :10bux: says Jon's bit on student-athletes going hungry made them reconsider the whole "pasta limit" thing.

While that bit might have done something the driving force was definitely Napier simply saying he's gone hungry while playing on a championship college team. Pretty much everyone was talking about it, after all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That Colbert interview felt like one of the most subtly hostile interview I've ever seen on the Report. Started off with Will going "I'm aware of the standards here" which would have come off as just a gentle jab if it wasn't for the whole "Liberals are actually the Conservatives!" spiel later on and Will not really playing to Colbert at all. Then Colbert and Will just couldn't seem to connect on anything with Wrigley Field (bringing up Tolstoy out of nowhere) then finished it off with "Cubs won the Cold War because Reagan!" and then Iran-Contra. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a cold exit afterwards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I muted the interview once suppositly smart guy Will started talking about how Liberials are the real conservatives because reasons. Did he defend Iran-Contra?

Will said the Cubs won the Cold War. Stephen told Will that he would personally endorse his book if he could prove the Cubs won the Cold War. Will then told what I guess he considered to be mostly a joke, the Chicago Cubs won the Cold War because Reagan did something with the radio involving the Cubs then went onto become an actor and then President and then "won" the Cold War. I guess Stephen thought less of the joke or didn't like something else Will said earlier because he then asked "Does that mean the Cubs are also responsible for selling arms to Iran?" Stephen then endorsed the book and ended the interview.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 23, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wilmore should being Jessica Williams along, but that might just cripple TDS's correspondent team (not really) because she is honestly the best of them right now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Hey, not always, if you're on one of their professional sports farm teams.
Then they help you as much as it keeps you alive and making them money, until you get injured at which point you can gently caress yourself.

Yeah, after seeing him being loving terrible on Best Week Ever I'm really surprised at Michael Che not only not sucking but actually being really good.

Which is good because I guess he's going to be Senior Black Correspondent when Larry Wilmore gets Colbert's timeslot and Jessica Williams goes with him to co-anchor and create the greatest show ever (that Jessica Williams part is probably not true). Seriously though, Williams should have her own show.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vint Cerf seems like a pretty cool guy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure Jon nearly killed himself doing that joking swipe at Shakespeare's picture.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Canada, you've hosed up yet again.

I guess we know why ISIS singled us out.

Also what the hell was that moment of zen?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Please no one ever tell Bill O'Reilly about the Streisand Effect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The spanish construction worker just said hello. He probably wouldn't have done that to a guy or a fat lady, but at least that was on polite and wasn't "Ola pretty lady, i wanna sick my dick in your ear!"

I hope J-Wil's graphic of her route to work was a joke.

I think the point is that, even with "polite" but still unwanted comments, a woman just doesn't know what can happen if she does anything in regards to them. If she ignores them entirely, will they write it off as "Oh, she didn't hear me," or will they get annoyed because "how dare that woman not respond to my compliments better teach her some manners," or will they just call her a bitch or worse in public, and so on. If she responds are they going to take that as an invitation to give her more unwanted comments, will they follow her and try to ask her out. Or will they just be a normal person and go back to work no matter what she does. Sure you're probably going to get that last one most of the time but, like they showed, every woman in that room had a story where unwanted comments spilled over into incredibly creepy territory where you're understandably starting to fear for your safety.

It just becomes a minefield where, sure, there's probably not going to be a mine where you put our foot down this one time but you've got to take 10,000 steps to get out and the odds are going to catch up to you eventually.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wait, those were actual ads?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Apparently in the extended interview, Jon asks Bill straight-up to admit that white privilege exists. You're not going to get a confirmed racist to say that.

Not that O'Reilly actually meant it of course but he did agree that it was still a "factor" of America, at the continued prodding of Jon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's really hard to fathom how O'Reilly can sleep at night when someone like Bryan Stevenson can come on the Daily Show immediately after O'Reilly did, talking about the history of and present day conditions of race relations in such a frank manner.

Oh right, money.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm not really part of that movement but I've been following it since it started, and that first segment was pretty bad. It bought into the idea that it started as an excuse to harass women rather than people being upset at a part of journalism that's lovely. I'd expect Colbert's team of all people to maybe hit on that rather than basement dwelling nerds harassing women, but I guess not. Kind of disappointing.

And hearing Anita's name just made me turn the TV off.

All the other kinds of enthusiast "journalism," whether that's boats or motorcycles or whatever, pretty much all have these exact same issues and they seem to be able to operate relatively fine and occasionally deal with these issues without their fans being noticed for harassing and stalking women on an international scale so maybe just, you know, not harass and stalk women or support a useless twitter "movement" that does. Christ I hate that I like video games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Don't worry they have a plan.

Sounds solid. Comedians are well known for not making jokes about the disabled or other groups.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn't Colbert (and Stewart) already getting paid millions for the Report? I'm not going to say it wasn't about the money because the money for late night talks shows has to still be at :signings: levels but I'm more inclined to believe it was just "Well, I've been doing this bit for almost a decade, time to do something else."

Though the money probably makes it easier to make a decision like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

It's how he pronounces his stage name.

It is a gimmick (his given name is pronounced with the hard T) but I don't think he used it solely for the purposes of TDS/TCR. You know, like how Stewart is not Jon Stewart's last name.

I think he actually did legally change his name to Stewart. And the only reason I (think) I know that is because of Donald Trump getting huffy and going all Twitter on Stewart after the latter coined "Fuckface von Clownstick."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While Unbroken could be a perfectly fine film, every time a talk show shows a clip of a war or post-apoc or whatever movie, I just can't help but notice that everyone still has perfect hair.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is butt monkey the technical term?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

richardfun posted:

Apparently, Obama's making some sort of appearance on Colbert. Or so says the show's Facebook account.

Colbert announced it on air during his last show too, so it's a sure thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Didn't he crack up so badly there because that's actually a picture of his mom or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha3KV posted:

There's a new thread here, though it had almost no activity tonight.

Oh, huh, it's airing again. I figured it was going to start again along side The Nightly Show. Guess I'll go attempt to populate the new thread when I get around to watching.

What's filling Colbert's former slot in the meantime?

• Locked thread