Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what absolutely everyone did the first time around :respek:

I discovered that I was immortal and just ignored the robot. That doesn't work in the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

"The problem" with liberty island is that the game was sold on cool cyborgy things to do which you do not do in the first level, and that narratively you're the best of the best secret agent whose development cost more than the GDP of a developing nation and you get An Clip of ammo for one (1) weapon, even if one of them is technically a rocket launcher.

You're a highly trained, cybernetically enhanced superman. You can't climb over waist-high barriers or aim a pistol. That's what really put me off. I expect to have to earn my super-powers as I play, but it always pisses me off when characters who are supposed to be really tough and fit can't do things that I can do in real life, and JC's bizarre lack of skill with firearms is just absurd. What do they teach in spy school anyway?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You should upload just the conspiracy/literature bits as separate videos, I bet people who aren't interested in seeing the gameplay would watch them.

SWMadness posted:

Just my two cents on your Conspiracy Corner, but I think one of the reasons why so many conspiracies stick to the idea of a shadowy world-ruling government so heavily is because that scenario also carries with it the unspoken assumption that if such a conspiracy were fully brought to light and the people made aware of it, the conspiracy would collapse. It fuels the kind of "me against the world" messianic mindset that drives some of the more serious conspiracy nutters.

Well, it's the only way it can work, really. If it were in the open everyone would know about it, but everyone doesn't know about it so it must be secret.

double nine posted:

:eng101: actually, there is 1 Unatco guard that's not invincible that you can knock out and take his assault rifle. I don't remember which one though.

Always hated the invincible NPCs in this game. Invisible War did it way better, in that if an NPC needed to stay alive then you never got to be in the same room as them. As soon as you see them face-to-face, you can shoot that face if you want to. It was still really obviously artificial in the way certain characters would only ever contact you by hologram or behind bullet-proof glass or whatever, but you didn't end up in situations where you shoot someone in the head and then they just murder you because you're not allowed to do that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I heard that youtube has this new thing - you can point your mouse at a part of the video progress bar, click it, and then you'll skip to that part of the video without having to watch the rest. I know, isn't technology amazing these days?

Sure, and that's a nice feature when it works and if you already know the time to jump to. I don't understand why you're reacting in such a hostile way to a simple suggestion though. :confused:

Xander77 posted:

Nope. Most of the time you'll meet them in "gun free zones" which are in some ways far stupider than regular Deus Ex invincibility.

Sure, it's incredibly artificial, but invincible NPCs are far, far worse. Gun-free zones prevent you from killing critical NPCs rather than killing you for trying it.

Prenton posted:

Also, yes. If they were just "you can't hurt anyone here" zones, that would have been an acceptable "fine, you need these guys for the plot, whatever" mechanic, like Sarif Industries was in Human Revolution. Instead they try and sci-fi-bullshit justify it with nanomachines magically disabling your weapons. Including my knife and baton, somehow.

'Cause the rest of the Deus Ex series' story and technology make perfect sense, right? Yeah, it was dumb, and yes it was done better in Human Revolution, but they're both better solutions than invincible NPCs.

Prenton posted:

If anyone ever tells you IW is "a decent game on it's own merits", kick them in the knees.

It is. I've finished it twice. It's a lot of fun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Then there's universal ammo, which means experimenting with weapons is heavily punished.

This is the biggest difference of opinion I have with just about everyone who doesn't like Invisible War. Universal ammo is fantastic. This is the only FPS I have ever played where I actually got to use the weapons I liked consistently rather than having the game force me to use other ones by keeping the fun ammo scarce.

This is an especially important consideration in a game where there are options about what to take rather than just a set of weapons that you pick up one at a time as you progress. I spent most of Human Revolution lugging around a gun I could never use, assuming that there'd be some more ammo for it at some point, and there just never was.

chiasaur11 posted:

There's the rate of unlocking augs, where you're fully kitted out halfway in the game, but respecing requires you lose everything you put in with no return.

There are more than enough upgrade canisters lying around that you can switch out a couple of fully upgraded augs and fully upgrade the replacements though. Which is great, because it lets you experiment with stuff, and gives you plenty of time to actually play with it.

chiasaur11 posted:

And all that's ignoring the whole levels the size of, to be generous, a high school gym with minute long load times even on a modern computer.

I played on a computer way worse than the one I have now, and I barely even noticed the loading times. There are tons of games with loading screens like that. Other things that get sacrificed for consoles (like pedestrians popping into existence half a street away in Saints Row) are far worse.

chiasaur11 posted:

Then there's the plot. Oh boy is there ever the plot.

All three Deus Ex games have ridiculous, crazy plots that can't possibly be taken seriously though.

chiasaur11 posted:

None of your actions have consequences

It does a pretty good job of hiding that on your first playthrough though.

chiasaur11 posted:

The Russian ultracapitalist borg were the nicest, most reasonable people in the game. How sad is that?

I think you mean "how awesome is that?" The borg are the good guys? I love it.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

One big problem I had with Invisible War is how all the endings were either creepy or depressing, which is in contrast to how all three of Deus Ex's endings managed to be hopeful.

Support the Illuminati? Congratulations, you've created a One World Government secretly controlled by a despotic surveillance state!

Support the Dentons? Congratulations, you've created a unified consciousness which has wiped out any semblance of individuality!

Support the Templars? Congratulations, you've supported a religiously motivated genocide and created a despotic theocracy!

Support nobody? Congratulations, you've killed everything except the crazy posthuman nutjobs!

The borg ending is the good one. The Illuminati is also pretty good since it ends with world peace and prosperity. The Dentons and the templars are the bad guys.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Guys, I hate to break this to, apparently, all of you, but the borg are the bad guys. They are terrible. They are deliberately killing off the human race so they can succeed it and converting people they like into augmented lovecraftian horror-beings that share a group mind due to invasive brain surgery without their permission.

It's been a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. They're not deliberately killing anyone, they're just doing whatever they can to improve themselves and don't really care if the rest of humanity wipe each other out. Also, I don't think they convert people without permission. Leo says they do, but at that point he's already been considerably altered by them and may well already be part of the hivemind just saying what they think will get you to do what they want.

And although doing what they want does result in them being the only humans left, that seems to be more of a side-effect of their actual goal which is to prevent one of the other factions from winning, because if anyone else wins then the borg gets destroyed. And one thing every faction in the game agrees on is that unless someone manages to succeed in uniting the planet, humanity will wipe itself out. That turns out to be true. The borg don't kill the humans, they're just the last survivors after the other factions wiped each other out, since Alex's actions prevented any of them from becoming strong enough to win a decisive victory.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

unfair posted:

Leo was correct, and was not converted at that point. He'll go kill them if you choose the right dialogue choices.

I don't know why you think this is conclusive. Isn't sacrificing a couple of bodies worth it to convince Alex that Leo is genuine and that stopping all the factions is the correct choice? If one of the factions win then those bodies would get killed anyway.

OAquinas posted:

The problem is bolded. So you have these guns that use a crapton of your ammo pool, so you use them sparingly...then when you switch back to your primary gun you're almost out of ammo. Or you want to use that special weapon further down the line (tough enemy or an annoying NPC) but then you get into a firefight and whoops, ammo pool is too low.

Discrete ammo works well--you know you have 50 bullets for your smg, 20 rounds for the pistol, and 2 rockets for the launcher. So if you spray and pray a bit too much you could fall back on the pistol, or still have the rockets to blow open a door. You don't have that luxury with UA.

Yeah, I know how universal ammo works. I don't see the problem. It requires you to be careful about how much ammunition you use and not just have throwaway guns you can go nuts with. That is one of its features. It's the down-side of not having to worry about collecting ammo for specific guns.

Gully Foyle posted:

UA also made exploration and finding hidden stashes less interesting, since it was often just 'universal ammo + healing item' or something similar, and I never felt the same thrill as I did when I would find a rare ammo type in the original. Even if I didn't have the gun and had no intention of using it, it was still cool to find a flame canister or plasma clip or whatever.

I have never, in any game, been glad to find an item I couldn't use. If I find a hidden area and all it's got in it is some ammo for a gun I don't even have I'm going to feel like finding it was a total waste of time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

unfair posted:

The games don't generally outright deceive/lie to the player in my experience, so I doubt he was pretending.

What? Characters lie to you all the time. You're told tons of stuff about the WTO and the big church (whatever it's called) that all turns out to be bullshit because they're both really Illuminati fronts, same with the stuff that's really a front for the Dentons. I think the Templars and borg are mostly up-front with you, but there's no reason to assume that anything anyone says is the truth unless it's conclusively demonstrated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

If you're looking for something that feels more like Original Deus Ex, Except More Modern, EYE: Divine Cybermancy might fit the bill. It's WONDERFULLY complicated and open-ended.

It's certainly complicated. If you play it, you'd better really like watching tutorial videos, 'cause a ton of them are dumped on you right at the start and everything is basically incomprehensible if you don't watch them. And to be honest, I'm just assuming that they do actually explain things because I certainly didn't bother watching them. Also, the people complaining about load times between levels in Invisible War are probably not going to be fans. I didn't get far, but from what I did play this game has the worst loading times I've ever seen. I ended up dying repeatedly to literally the second enemy encounter in the game and just gave up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Oh man. Somebody did their homework here. It's phrased differently (as it should be), but is close enough to the real phrasing that it should be instantly recognizable to most members of a certain fraternal organization.

That man just asked JC for help, using the Deus Ex version of a code phrase that should only ever be used when the person asking is facing imminent threat of death or bodily harm. If you hear it (and have been told what it means) you know that the requester truly needs help, and what's more, he is your Brother.

I had to do a double take when he said it.

Why so coy? It took me a couple of seconds of Googling to find out that the proper Masonic code phrase is "Oh Lord, my God, is there no help for the widow's son?" It's not exactly a deeply held secret.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Anyway, back to lighter topics. I gotta say, I never thought to use the tear gas we've collected - something designed for crowd control so you can diffuse a situation - and use it to incapacitate all the NSF guys so our UNATCO buddies can stand there an machine gun the crowd while everyone is too busy rubbing their eyes or running around choking on gas. I don't think those two troopers near the alley thought about all the possibilities to torture people with non-lethal methods before finally just getting bored and capping them.

It seems really weird how disparaging that guy is of tear gas. Even if you're going to shoot people anyway, disabling them with tear gas first makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

your evil twin posted:

Huh, never knew that about silver. I guess that's why some stories have it as being a weapon or protection against the supernatural

Not sure about that. The idea of werewolves being killed by silver is only as old as the 20th century.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This thread convinced me I should do an absolute rear end in a top hat run of HR, something I had never done before. Turns out if you kill literally everyone in the police station, then escape through the sewers and wait for the alarm to die down, everything goes back to normal and the cops behave normally. Then you can kill a few cops in the street, hide until the alarm dies down and repeat until there are no living people in Detroit.

I was a little disappointed that no one ever mentions the DPD station massacre later, though. Lazy game design!

I killed a couple of cops in the hostage rescue mission (the first mission after you get augmented) as I was going back through the level to see if I'd collected everything. One guy out the front who was standing next to an explosive crate that I blew up to see what would happen. The answer is, no one figures out that you did it, they just all go on alert and look for the terrorist they assume must have been responsible. Another was inside, in a corridor out of sight of everyone else. I just straight-up shot him in the head. Apparently no one ever thinks "Jensen went back through there and must either have been the killer, or the last person before the killer to see that guy alive".

I later killed a police officer in the police station because he wouldn't let me hack a door. I realised after I'd done it that I could have just knocked him out, but hey, c'est la vie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

You can kill every character with the crate glitch. There is a series about Deus Ex glitches on Youtube, where someone kills Alex and Manderley.

He kills Alex here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eooWMj3ZvHs&t=605s.

Do essential characters just come back to life with no explanation if you do this, or does it prevent you from finishing the game?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

As opposed to Invisible War, which is just needlessly half-smart enough to screw you over.

I killed a whole lot of people in that game and it didn't seem to mess anything up — the one sort of exception being that Klara is supposed to be held hostage at one stage, and if she's already dead you can still find the guy who was supposed to be guarding her just standing around for no apparent reason. Who do you have to kill to break it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SineRider posted:

Man, I've played this game a ton of times and that interrogation scene was new to me!

It's so weird. You pretty much have to be trying to break the game to even see it. realistically you should just be kicked out, because you just ducked into a room you weren't allowed to be in ahead of the guy who just opened the door so he could go in himself. There's no way he'd just carry on with the interrogation at that point. And when you start talking to the prisoners (which you've been specifically told not to do by several people) he really should just have you arrested. But instead he acts like you're being a bit of a nuisance.

Similarly, the way people just stand by and let you hack heir computers, like "Oh, JC you cheeky scamp, you know you're not supposed to be hacking my computer! Look, just this once, OK?"

berryjon posted:

((Side question - why is it that I always see these groups complaining about the Federal government, and not as often about the State?))

It seems to be a particularly American thing. Just from my own personal experience, people in Australia seem to be just as likely to complain about state and local government (in as much as things the state and local government do come up in conversation).

berryjon posted:

And the latest version of all this? The Sovereign Citizens.

This video by the Southern Poverty Law Center on sovereign citizens and how police should handle them is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_y-gLm9Hrw

Bluemage142 posted:

I would also point out that there are societies that have high levels of gun ownership and low levels of crime (Switzerland, for example). There are also societies with low levels of gun ownership, and high levels of crime (England typically has between two and four times the violent crime rates of the US). Guns don't cause crime. They just make it a heck of a lot easier... both to commit it, and to defend against it.

If guns are just tools, then the issue is the people wielding them... and the people are shaped by the society around them. What would it say about America, as a country, if the government got to say 'You are, all of you, too immature- too irresponsible- to be permitted firearms'?

On the other hand, some of us are too irresponsible. Some of us shouldn't have access to firearms. So what do you do? Do you take them away from everybody, whether or not they have the moral strength to use them responsibly or not? Do you reform the society, teaching the next generation to be responsible with their freedoms? Or do you try to find the irresponsible, and keep them (and only them) from getting their hands on guns?

This three-part Daily show segment on Australian gun control laws is also worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYbY45rHj8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuspKSjfgA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OG17 posted:

It really wasn't. Part one's a braindead "less guns less gun crime and gun suicide" without a peep about overall crime and suicide. Part two's a tangential daydream where diving on a political grenade is a right thing to do, while surviving to work towards defusing said grenade while doing good on a hundred other issues is a crazy selfish thing to do. Three didn't really have any point outside of instantly dismissing the idea that the US and Australia have any significant differences and then being wowed by how quickly legislature moved for twenty million people in a handful of cities. It's a bad-faith bit that's maybe entertaining if you already agree with it but otherwise it's a waste of eighteen minutes. (And if wikipedia's to be believed (:colbert:), this didn't work anyway.)

It's a comedy show. I said it was worth watching, not that it was a comprehensive solution to the problem of gun violence in America.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OG17 posted:

Then I'll rephrase: don't watch this, it's poo poo. Using "comedy show" to defend an earnest garbage political argument is like claiming "comedy forum" when called out on an earnest garbage D&D thread.

What? If you think The Daily Show was making an an earnest political argument and not, I dunno, trying to be funny, I just don't know what to tell you beyond restating that it's a comedy show, it is made to be funny, it is not intended to be taken as a serious and comprehensive discussion of the problem of gun violence in America. Apparently you didn't find it funny, and that's fine, comedy is subjective. But it is comedy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OG17 posted:

"A nation just like us easily passed great gun control but our politicians are too cowardly to do anything" sends a really really obvious message, sorry if there were jokes too.

Yeah, and Penn & Teller: Bullshit! is also also a comedy show that presents particular arguments, and neither one should be taken as an unbiased presentation of objective fact. They're comedy shows, their primary purpose is to be entertaining. They're not intended to be or presented as objective. It and The Daily Show present opposite side of this argument, and if you take either one as being the absolute truth then you're wrong, but that doesn't mean they're not both entertaining and worth watching. I linked the Daily Show bit and not the Penn & Teller bit because I had seen the Daily Show bit more recently. In the interest of balance, here's the Penn & Teller bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKMgxuHBasI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OG17 posted:

I don't know why you're conflating "persuasion piece" with "unbiased objective fact" but the Daily Show piece is garbage because it uses garbage arguments, which is a fatal blow when your entire piece is an argument (with jokes!). And one of us is very bad at television if you think Bullshit isn't explicitly trying to promote Penn and Teller's viewpoints, just like Daily Show opinion bits promote those of their own writers.

I don't know why you think I'm conflating "persuasion piece" with "unbiased objective fact" or what the hell you're talking about. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OG17 posted:

I said the bit's not just jokes, but also an argument, and you responded by saying it's not supposed to be taken as unbiased objective fact, which apparently you think I believe? So I said you're conflating persuasion piece (which is what I was saying) with unbiased objective fact (which no one was saying), because if you're not I have no idea why you'd bring it up. :ms:

As far as I can tell, your objection to the Daily Show bit is that it's biased and not thoroughly researched. My response is, yes, of course it is, it's a comedy show. I was at no point conflating an attempt at persuasion with an objective report. I have no idea what your problem is with the Daily Show bit or what you're even talking about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

What nano augs would you get in real life? I'd be happy with a rebreather/aqualung and some auto-triage.

Of the original Deus Ex augs, Regeneration is the best by far for real-world use. Who wouldn't want to be able to heal themself instantly? Vision Enhancement also has obvious everyday uses, as do Microfibrial Muscle and Speed Enhancement.

From Invisible War you'd have to go with Regeneration again, it's just clearly the best. Vision Enhancement is still good as well, but for some reason this version of Regeneration takes the same slot as Vision Enhancement so it's one or the other and Regeneration wins. The Neural Interface could be fun, but probably not that useful to most people. Strength Enhancement and Speed Enhancement are still good options as well.

Human Revolution's augs are more invasive, but I'd still take them. The Hacking augs again could be fun, but not that useful. Wayfinder Radar System would be good. I've always wanted to know when there were people around me. The CASIE Social Enhancer could be really, really useful, but might make you a social pariah if people knew you had it. Move/Throw Heavy Objects still has its obvious value (but you have to replace your arms), and the Angiogenesis Protein Therapy, the auto-healing, is again, the best of all. The Icarus Landing System is incredibly cool, but not actually that useful unless you're into extreme sports or something. In the game, the Quicksilver Reflex Booster just lets you do takedowns on two people at once, but in real life it could have much more varied applications. The various running and jumping upgrades of the Cybernetic Leg Prosthesis could all be good, but obviously you do have to have your legs replaced to use these.

Overall, my top choices are Regeneration, Vision Enhancement and Wayfinder Radar System, because never being sick or injured sounds absolutely great, and the other two are subtle but very useful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Veyrall posted:

In Invisible War, the Spy Drone could, when fully upgraded, incapacitate/kill anything in the game. It's also invisible, and can be used as many times as your energy cells will allow. As I recall, it's basically a fly-sized camera and battery that Alex D spits out.

It has been years since I played IW though, so I may be misremembering.

The first time I played IW I found the section with all the power-armoured templars in Antarctica incredibly difficult for some reason and used up all my ammo and basically spent the second half of that mission sneaking around killing templars solely with the spy drone. It does use a bit of energy, but depending on what augs you've been using it's quite possible to have amassed a pretty good supply of batteries by that point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

double nine posted:

The Infolink itself sounds amazing. Direct phone in your brain, and the ability to store any datacube usb-stick text you come across and read it at your leasure whenever you feel like it.

Actually, thinking about it, that would be the best way to read ebooks. Lie in bed, eyes shut just reading a book on the inside of your eyelids. As long as there was a reliable way to enter text you could also post on forums, use Facebook and Twitter. It'd be brilliant. I'm not sure if you can type with your mind in the Deus Ex universe though. JC, Alex and Adam always seem to communicate verbally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

That's all good fun, right up to the moment you accidentally switch it on the middle of the night and your infolink starts blasting porn at full volume inside your brain.

Put a password on it. Problem solved.

Wa11y posted:

My phone can already convert speech to text decently reliably (but I hate it when it puts a blue underline on words, stating it may be incorrect. YOU PUT IT THERE!). Although, I think most of us would be pretty embarrassed to read some of our forum posts or Facebook posts out loud, especially where someone could hear you.

You don't have to speak out loud. When they're talking to people over the infolink they subvocalise. It's actually specifically spelled out as such in Human Revolution, explaining why you can have conversations without being heard by the bad guys you're sneaking past. The main problem would be not the actual words but the punctuation. Even if the machine could reliably apply the correct punctuation for what you said, spoken language is a hell of a lot messier than written. We pause and stutter and repeat ourselves and finish sentences in ways that don't quite match up with how we started them. Try recording an ordinary conversation sometime and transcribing it, it's practically gibberish sometimes. Basically, all our posts would end up looking like we wrote them drunk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oh we're talking about non nefarious purposes...

Cause I'd just rob banks and steal poo poo erryday if I had invisibility. I guess that means I'm a terrible person if noone's watching?

The problem with both this and the hacking augs is that if these augs are available then you've got to assume that there are going to be some pretty effective countermeasures in place. In Deus Ex you can hack ATMs with impunity because you're literally the second person in the world with nano-augs and both of you are in law enforcement, so the defences don't exist yet. It makes less sense in the other two games, but in both cases you can assume that whatever version of the hacking augs you've got is cutting edge and still just ahead of the technology available to defend against it. In a month or two Adam and Alex are back to earning their money the hard way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

In the past, Adam Jensen was able to reply to messages via InfoLink, simply by talking aloud. This is a skill rendered ineffectual to the N series units, but presumably it was less of a problem with him not looking like a jerk muttering to himself in a gravelly voice.

There's no muttering involved, it's done by subvocalising. That's why you can chat with Pritchard or Sarif while nearby enemies remain oblivious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

Life's too short to not experience it as it is. I want to see everything as it is.

To me, this seems like the absolute worst reason for not using drugs. I've got no problem with people not using drugs if they don't like being in whatever state that drug induces, don't like the way they behave when on that drug, don't enjoy the actual consumption of that drug, don't want to risk addiction, don't want to damage their body, etc. but the idea that we're experiencing the world "as it is" is laughable. Our perceptions are filtered and modified before we're consciously aware of them.

Take something as simple as seeing what's in front of you. You think you're seeing in full colour, but you're not. Only the central part of your field of vision is in colour, the periphery is black and white and your brain just fills in the colours from memory and guesses. Or have you noticed how you can be in a room with a bunch of people talking and you suddenly hear someone saying your name when you couldn't hear what they were saying before that? You totally could hear it, your brain was just filtering it out so you could focus on whatever seemed more important at the time.

And everything is like that. We're not experiencing the world as it is, we're experiencing a construct, a version of the world put together within our own minds, including some things that our senses are detecting and some things we're remembering or imagining, and missing a bunch of stuff that we're filtering out or ignoring.

But yeah, if you don't like beer then don't drink beer, not going to argue with you on that.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, this is me when it comes to drugs. I even stopped drinking caffeinated soda a few years ago. I also tell people I don't use them because I'm a control freak. Did play WoW for an awful long time, though.

Caffeine is good for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Still, there's a level of distinction between natural processes and hallucinogens, and for some folks it's just no fun to screw with our senses directly. How can I appreciate the warping light of an aquarium tank when my brain is warping light no matter what?

Easily, just like you do all the time? I don't understand the issue. And it's not like using drugs sometimes means you can't appreciate things when you're not using drugs. As for the distinction between natural processes and hallucinogens, well, I've never heard a definition of "natural" that didn't come down to some arbitrary "I can't explain it but I know it when I see it" thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

I've never been drunk, though I don't mind a drink now a then. Caffeine is not a big part of my life, I might grab an energy drink on the weekend, but other than that it's Black Tea, or Earl Grey Tea.

You know tea has caffeine in it, right? About the same amount per cup as instant coffee (although, like regular coffee, it depends on how it's made).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

The amount of sinister glee that poured out from his crazy voice was just amazing and I just found myself laughing as he kept going and going.

I thought it started really well (and over all was pretty good) but the laughing was a bit much. It's just the stereotypical "this is how crazy people sound" laugh that isn't at all realistic. People who genuinely believe conspiracy theories like those aren't laughing about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Not really. I enjoyed Thursday, Chesterton has a certain flair with words, but you've probably read the best-written parts already. It kind of goes from clever to farcical to insane to bullshit.

This was exactly how I felt about it as well. By the time I got to the end I was just thinking "What is this bullshit and why am I reading it?"

GauRocks posted:

Now that the obligatory fat joke is out of the way, back to the game. This is about the point where I tried to tell Paul and the NSF to shove it, and looked up the code to open the subway without betraying UNATCO. It basically breaks a bunch of triggers in the next area and won't let you do anything useful or continue on. Also, if you hang around long enough or brush up against a flaming barrel, everyone opens fire on you for no good reason. The code is 6282 if anyone wants to try it out.

I always find it weird that people bring up Deus Ex as a game where player actions really influence the story, because the story plays out exactly the same no matter what you do (aside from a few minor bits here and there and the ending you choose) and tons of games do that just as well, but they all tend to get unfavourably compared to Deus Ex. And also The Walking Dead, which also railroads you the whole way.

CountFosco posted:

I really enjoyed the Man Who Was Thursday discussion, although it appears that I like the ending a lot more than others. But then, I tend to be more interested in theology than a lot of people.

I love theology, but I didn't find anything particularly good or interesting about Thursday.

senae posted:

I think it's mostly a Catholic thing, they tend to be all about hierarchies. The different levels are called Choirs, and here's a picture of one of the higher ones, called Thrones:

I think angels can appear in basically any form.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've never understood people who claim that there are such things as Satan-worshiping atheists.
I think it comes down to people actually not believing that atheists really exist. To some people the concept of simply not believing in God is utterly absurd, so anyone who says they don't must be a liar. And why would they be lying? Because they can't just come out and say they worship Satan, obviously.

Imagine you met someone who said they didn't believe in space. That's how some people see not believing in God.

Mordaedil posted:

For a similar experience, suppose you went to 2ch and started lurking, trying to interpret what they write there. Unless you know Japanese, in which case, yeah...
Are you saying that beings able to solve the problem of FTL travel wouldn't be able to figure out a way to translate human languages?

Zudrag posted:

So I think that the reason teachers are paid fairly low is in this effort to keep the quality of teaching as high as possible by having the labor supply of teachers be people that are passionate about teaching, but keep people away that are simply out to make some easy dosh.
This argument only seems to make sense if you don't really think about it. If you make a job more desirable then more people will want it, yes, and some of them won't be particularly interested in doing it well. But if enough people want the job then you have the freedom to hire only the cream of the crop, and people who actually have the ability to do the job well have extra incentive to want to do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Invisible War is a flawed but fun game. If you enjoyed either of the other two games and you go into it expecting it to live up to them then you'll be disappointed, but if you look at it as its own thing then it's certainly not without its merits. Yes, it's buggy, yes, the level transitions are more frequent than one would prefer, but it's not as bad as its reputation would lead you to believe. It's one of those games where it had the potential to be really great but obviously a lot went wrong and what you end up with is a mostly OK game with some great bits that hint at what it could have been, and people get caught up on that.

idonotlikepeas posted:

An example discussed earlier in the thread: when they want you to talk to someone but not be able to kill them, they have it happen in a bar which has a device that disables all your weapons. Somehow.

This is the absolute dumbest possible complaint about Invisible War, given that Deus Ex just made critical NPCs immortal. They can still kill you though. Oh, and Human Revolution has the worst of both worlds, arbitrary areas where you can't use weapons or certain augs with no explanation and NPCs who can't be killed, though I don't think immortal NPCs will fight you in that one. At least in IW they give an explanation that makes about as much sense as anything else in the Deus Ex universe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

This actually summarizes a lot of my problems with IW, really, like the universal ammo system. It's a cleverly implemented idea that clearly took some effort and imagination to make work correctly, but it was solving completely the wrong problem to begin with. It's like having a question on an exam about medical ethics and answering it with a 2000-word essay on Mexican grapefruit production.
Here, I'll just quote what I said about this last time.

Tiggum posted:

This is the biggest difference of opinion I have with just about everyone who doesn't like Invisible War. Universal ammo is fantastic. This is the only FPS I have ever played where I actually got to use the weapons I liked consistently rather than having the game force me to use other ones by keeping the fun ammo scarce. This is an especially important consideration in a game where there are options about what to take rather than just a set of weapons that you pick up one at a time as you progress.
I wish Human Revolution had had universal ammo too. It would have vastly improved the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Spudd posted:

Eughgnn those Aussie accents, no one down here sounds like that at all. It hurt so much to listen to it.

One of the women isn't entirely terrible. Like, she wouldn't be too out of place in some places. The other one is atrocious though. And I think the bartender is actually a New Zealander. Could be South Africa or something? His vowel sounds are definitely not right for Australia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dogs who are less wolf-like have friendlier personalities, but they're a lot dumber

genetically engineered species of all kinds are more susceptible to epidemics of diseases they aren't resistant to.
I don't believe that either of these statements are true...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

The Irish potato famine is a pretty good example of how lack of genetic diversity is a big, big risk:

I wasn't disputing the part about species that lack genetic diversity, but Bobbin said "genetically engineered species of all kinds are more susceptible" which is the part I don't think is true.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Diogenes Bub posted:

If we're doing sci-fi book recommendations, I've always been a fan of Iain M. Banks' Culture novels.
The Culture novels are great, but I'm not sure they really fit within the themes of Deus Ex.

OAquinas posted:

It's been put forth that ours could be the last generation that has them, or at least has them commonly available. The wild varieties and less-edible ones will of course likely remain.
We made them once, I'm sure we could make them again.

Cascade Failure posted:

This talk of scifi becoming outdated by scientific progress reminded me of Asimov's incredible 'The Last Question' (http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html), written in 1956. It's a short story about mankind's evolution, as guided by a succession of AI's that, aside from the first AI being built using transistors in 2000-something, manages to be vague enough about the sciency stuff not to feel horribly outdated. It's a very quick read and well worth the time, check it out!
Although he doesn't go into great detail in that particular story, Asimov did have an unfortunate habit of going into unnecessary detail about some of his future science and technology and it does make a lot of his work seem really dated. There's a bit in one of the Foundation novels where he spends quite a bit of time detailing the amazing new technology that his far-future people who've mastered faster-than-light travel have just invented: The three-dimensional map.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've never understood wanting to meet celebrities. What would I have to say to them? I just can't imagine how that conversation would go.

Dragonwagon posted:

You never played the Missing Link DLC I take it? Not only are you stuck in an unfamiliar place with no contact to the outside world, but even your items get taken away and your augs get disabled.
And it's annoying as hell. You get enough augs back that you're not lacking anything vital, it's just the little conveniences that you miss, like having to use ladders again instead of just dropping from any height. Even losing your stuff doesn't really matter because there is just shitloads of equipment lying around, so again it's just the little conveniences, like your stack of nuke viruses and your upgraded weapons.

Ometeotl posted:

Those are loading zone buffers, basically.
Yeah, the map is just too big to do all as one thing. Personally I'd have preferred loading screens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I tried playing HR on the setting that said I was a "Deus Ex veteran" and can't get past like the very first "real" level. I get killed immediately because I'm not a badass nanoman I guess, and the world is absolutely teeming with dudes far more durable than I am, and I find third person sneaking just completely tedious.

So yeah I don't know, I should give it more of a chance and maybe dial it back to babby difficulty but eh.

Human Revolution's first level is terrible. I just can't understand why they'd start the game out that way. As soon as you get through that and get your augs the game becomes good, but that first level was by far the hardest and least fun part of the game on my first playthrough. On subsequent playthroughs it's not quite so bad because you kind of know what you're doing, but even on NG+ they still make you go through it with no augs, which is incredibly disappointing.

• Locked thread