Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
A little Latin note: "ex" has a few meanings, including "from", "out of", or even "due to". Those may be relevant to the story.

Also, notice that the code to open the first door was 0012. Twelve is an important number in Deus Ex; expect to see it come up again.

You'll also see that there are a couple of Men in Black in the room with Jaime through that first window. One of them is Walton Simons, director of FEMA, who we'll see more of later.

I also wonder what Jesus Christ Denton's previous training exercises were like if this was supposed to be more interesting. Admittedly, irradiating your recruits in toxic slurry is a novel approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The AAA games do tend to play it a bit safe with the music, which is not too surprising. Go a little bit off the beaten track, though, and you run into things like Bastion.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

My favorite part of IW's Liberty Island is that the engine couldn't handle swimming, so they froze all the water.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The talk with the surveillance prototype way later in Paris is seriously pretty danged good.

Bobbin could easily devote an entire episode of the LP just to the talk with Morpheus.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Was I the only one that cried a little bit when Bobbin used a medkit instead of going back to the healbot?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The sacrifices you make for us...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Could also be the sniper rifle. A silenced, maxed-out sniper rifle with a high rifle skill is fairly ridiculous.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

One of the reasons this game is so good is that, even now, we can have discussions of exactly what weapons, mods, and skills are the best. And we haven't even gotten to the freaking augs yet.

I wish modern games were slightly less allergic to that kind of complexity.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The sniper rifle is, hands-down, my favorite weapon in this game. You can one-shot otherwise fairly strong dudes from across the entire level. And if you need a backup weapon for close-in fighting with a high rate of fire, there are plenty of options for that.

The way that the pickups work is that the game scans the body for weapons you have already, destroys them, and gives you the ammunition instead. That's why you're not picking pistols off of every unconscious trooper on the level; those pistols all got converted into nice stacks of 10MM for you to pick up instead. It's also why choosing not to carry a weapon can be a pain in the rear end - if you don't want to have an assault rifle on you, you'll be running into them on half the bad guys in the game.

Gunther's prison is also where I always start running out of tranq darts and prod charges, so I have many fond memories of jumping out at dudes in that area with the baton. Also, I never give him a gun. Dude's a loose cannon. I'd demand his badge if he had a badge.

Xander77 posted:

I'm actually more interested in how much sense the "90% self employed" figure makes.

As far as I know, the figure was closer to 50%, but I'm not a historian, so I could be off. And that went down mostly because, thanks to the industrial revolution, we'd realized that factory-style production made more goods more quickly and more efficiently than individual production, and we spent a long time converting our industrial and agricultural base over (and then sending pieces of it to other countries, but that's a whole other conspiracy corner). There are also enough benefits to incorporation that even things which would have been family-owned businesses a hundred years ago become corporations to receive them.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 20, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

On the subject of Paul's name: naming him after any of the apostles would be a bit tricky. The original J.C. was very much in charge of them, and served as a source of enlightenment and instruction, much as Paul is actually doing for the player in this game. It doesn't really fit their relationship. I would have made him John, personally ("I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire"), but maybe they were worried about having both characters have J names.

Paul, on the other hand, was decidedly second-order. He was one of the first major church leaders not to have personally known J.C. (although he said that he spoke to him), and he seems to have disagreed somewhat with his philosophies even after conversion. Nevertheless, he was a major force in early Christianity, and was well known for some of the same sorts of things our Paul does for us in this game as regards being a mentor and philosopher. So they could have picked a worse name, really.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Invisible War had some very good ideas, which it mixed with some really lovely ideas and then threw into an engine that wasn't really capable of handling a Deus Ex game. And honestly, whether it's a good game on its own merits ain't even in the discussion - for better or worse, they gave that up when they stuck a number 2 in the title.

That said, I think someone could take the basic storyline and a number of the specific encounters and turn it into something that was pretty enjoyable. The whole NG Resonance subplot was pretty interesting, for instance, and watching all your fellow students get roped into the different factions helped give you a path into understanding them (or would have, if they gave you more time to get to know and like your fellow students first).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

You meet her as part of the first level and interact with her a little bit, but yes, not enough.

I would have probably included 2-3 Tarsus (Tarsus! Ye Gods! Talk about giving the game away) missions before the terrorist attack, just to get you used to the game and the characters before loving up their lives forever. As it is, you encounter them just when they're losing everything without having any understanding of what it was exactly they lost in the first place.

Human Revolution kind of does the same thing, but the intro mission is (or at least feels) extra-long despite being very linear, and the things that are taken away from Adam are things we're already pretty familiar with as human beings (significant other, limbs).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hey, the City on a Hill ending didn't remove individuality. It just turned everyone into a cyborg without their consent and in many cases against their will, while simultaneously giving them a non-consensual telepathic link to an immortal, unconquerable, all-knowing god-king. I don't see any downside there!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Soricidus posted:

"Deus Ex: Invisible War". They specifically didn't stick a number 2 in the title ...

Fair enough. Change it to: they gave that up when they put "Deus Ex" in the title, which is a better thing to say anyway. Having Invisible War as the sequel to Deus Ex is sort of like having Garfield and Friends as the sequel to Ghost in the Shell. Even if you argue that the thing is good on its own, you're not going to really satisfy anyone's expectations there.

Tiggum posted:

This is the biggest difference of opinion I have with just about everyone who doesn't like Invisible War. Universal ammo is fantastic. This is the only FPS I have ever played where I actually got to use the weapons I liked consistently rather than having the game force me to use other ones by keeping the fun ammo scarce.

The problem with universal ammo is that you use up all the ammo for all your weapons at once. From a game design perspective, that is utterly ridiculous. The main impact is to force you to never use the big weapons lest you accidentally make yourself unable to hurt anyone at all. Thankfully, designers seem to have noticed this and universal ammo never really became a thing in games.

A better way of solving your problem here would be to let you voluntarily convert ammo from one form to another. So if you never used the pistol, you could (through nanomachine magic) change the 10mm ammo into something else (presumably at a bad conversion rate). So you could decide to have diverse ammo and weapon selection, or decide to only use a couple of weapons but have enough ammo to keep them going the whole game if you were careful.

Tiggum posted:

I think you mean "how awesome is that?" The borg are the good guys? I love it.

Guys, I hate to break this to, apparently, all of you, but the borg are the bad guys. They are terrible. They are deliberately killing off the human race so they can succeed it and converting people they like into augmented lovecraftian horror-beings that share a group mind due to invasive brain surgery without their permission. At least the Dentons are only (kind of) doing the latter and not the former.

It's sad, but the Illuminati ending probably is the best one. It at least allows for a world in which there's still the possibility of change without forcing the entire population into a devil's bargain with a potentially crazy AI.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 22, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

No, they convert people against their will. Including Leo, the Tarsus student who contracts with them. In fact, you can give him some money to help him escape the Omar near the end of the game. (If you don't, he kills his handler to escape instead, I think, rather than actually getting the full conversion.) The Omar are playing the long game - they know that everyone else will wipe themselves out if they keep things destabilized, which is one reason they deal weapons and illegal biomods and arrange for Leo to tell you to kill all the other leaders.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I spent the entire game sneaking up on dudes and doing nonlethal takedowns. Facing a horde of zombies... well, I never asked for that.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 23, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's true that Alex did not actually discover a document entitled "The Omar's Secret Plan to Murder Everyone On Earth", so there is definitely room for doubt. But... well, let me put it like this. There are two possibilities here:

1. The Omar had a secret plan to bring about the apocalypse and kill everyone and take over.
2. The advice given to you by a dude indoctrinated and augmented by the Omar just happened, by coincidence, to lead to everyone being killed and the Omar taking over if you followed it.

If you choose to believe hypothesis two, I can't say you're definitively wrong.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Carter is augmented too (a little), and Jordan, the augmented bartender in New York, used to be an agent. I think that's it in terms of named characters, but there may be others we just don't run into.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

From my experience with certain co-workers, I can tell you that Gunther's writing style is 100% realistic even for people who speak English natively. Some people just don't know how the hell to write an e-mail. I do run into fewer of them every year, but many yet survive in the wild.

The fact that everyone's passwords are stupid, known to at least one other individual, and scattered around the office in writing is also, sadly, realistic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Psion posted:

Push E to find Manderley's password written underneath his keyboard on a post-it.

One of the things that Deus Ex and games like it inspired me to do was to put a bunch of sticky notes in various places around and in my desk with passwords on them. They aren't real passwords, of course. It brings me joy to imagine someone coming across them and trying to use them for something.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

No, guys, you don't get it. It's time for government on a scale human beings can understand! The scale where you hit a dude on the head with a rock because you want his stuff!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Keep in mind that Majestic 12 proves that civil war in the Illuminati is possible; they aren't really a monolithic cabal, they're a group of powerful people with very different ideas about how the world should work that cooperate just enough to maintain collective control. Further, there are only a small number of them at any moment. Revolution is certainly possible in that case.

The HELIOS ending is the most ambiguous one, for me. What does it mean that J.C. is now fundamentally in charge of everything? Maybe that depends on how you played him during the game.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a man in a trenchcoat, jumping on a lamp while carrying a dead body, forever.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Aquinas did talk about the city on the hill... but only insofar as he wrote an extensive commentary on Matthew. And frankly some of what he says about the city on the hill metaphor is a load of horse elbows. (Although if I recall properly some of what he said was quoting other theologians.) Jesus was actually speaking fairly simply in this case: he was saying that the people listening to him were supposed to be exemplars of his philosophy, and that it was impossible to hide or conceal them, and that they had to live up to that. You can get into a lot of stuff about how the hill is Jesus and the house is the church and all that, but all Jesus really seems to be saying is "if you follow me, you have a duty to set a good example for everyone else".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I might well be mixing things up, too; it's been many years since I did any kind of reasonable study of Aquinas and that translation is more recent. I think at the very least we can agree that Page is full of poo poo, though.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

1. This is your brother's sniper rifle. Not as random or as clumsy as an assault rifle; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

2. My "favorite" part about the Tuskegee Experiment is the end year. Listen again if you missed it: 1972. Why did it end then? Because someone leaked it to the press and they had to shut it down. If that hadn't happened, when do you think we'd have heard about it?

3. The issue of autism and vaccination is one that's close to my heart, largely because my youngest son (who is sitting next to me watching the Muppets sing as I type this) is severely autistic. At the age of four (well, a week from now), he still can't speak or form a wide variety of mental connections, and I have no idea what the rest of his life is going to look like. He might be relatively okay someday, or he might end up in an assisted living facility once my wife and I are too old or too dead to take care of him anymore.

The fact is, when things go wrong, you want an explanation for them, and you want it to be something you can do something about. Either something you can fix, or something you can prevent from happening to other people. The pressure towards this kind of explanation is terrific, and it bears on everyone.

Talking about autism is difficult, because it's such a broad category. It's like talking about "leg injuries". Well, okay, is it a bruise or did the drat thing get torn off? Plenty of people have autism and lead perfectly fulfilling lives. Some don't. And the world is not kind to people with any form of mental illness. I got hit pretty hard with this the other day; I was reading the political cartoons thread and saw one about a guy named Kelly Thomas, a mentally ill homeless man who was beaten to death by the police for what amounts to no particular reason. (They walked, by the way.) He called out for his dad during the beating. And the first thing I thought was: depending on how things go in the next several years, that could be my kid, calling out for me. Kelly Thomas wasn't autistic, but it's not like the people beating him to death would notice the difference. I've got absolutely no way of preventing that possible future and no explanation for why things are this way.

I don't believe that vaccinations cause autism, but I understand people who do. The human impulse is to ask, "why?" You have a happy, healthy baby and everything seems fine, and a few months later something has gone badly of the rails. You look at that child and think, "Why him? Why does it have to be him?" The best answer science has is "maybe some genetic factors got irritated by something in the environment that we can't determine yet", and as an explanation that's about as useful to the human psyche as a bag of nails in a pillow factory. It's tempting to look elsewhere for answers, and when it comes to babies there aren't a ton of common foreign factors. Vaccinations are a handy target because they're mysterious and feel unnatural and worrying. A co-worker of mine has gone way down this path because of his own autistic son, and it breaks my heart, but I can't be upset with him. Sometimes I wish I were credulous enough to buy it.

Nevertheless, despite everything I've just written, what Bobbin says in the video is fundamentally correct, and I agree with it. Even if vaccinations did cause autism, which they don't, a certain percentage of children developing severe autism would be a reasonable price to pay, from the perspective of a whole society. But it's hard to be too angry with the people who feel otherwise.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Oh man. Somebody did their homework here. It's phrased differently (as it should be), but is close enough to the real phrasing that it should be instantly recognizable to most members of a certain fraternal organization.

For those who aren't following, the organization is the Freemasons. I think the original phrase is something like "Is there no help for the widow's son?" - This is one of those open secrets that pops up in a lot of unexpected places. I always wondered what was up with that guy; he's in a clinic mostly full of grey death patients desperately asking for help.

Almost all of the homeless people in this game have something to say that actually tells you a fact or facts about the Deus Ex world. Even the ones that sound crazy. ESPECIALLY them.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Necroskowitz posted:

So Bobbin, by choosing to implant the Toxic Resist aug are you saying that in this instance Aqualung (your friend) SHOULD start away uneasy?

I'm sorry.

Crouched behind a park bench
Eying NSF with bad intent
Sunglasses in the dark
With prod and baton he'll make his mark
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Night since the game began
Our boy wonders if he can get a moontan
Hey, Trenchcoat Man
Geared up like a gun nut
Knocking you out with one blow to the butt
Whoooah, Trenchcoat Man

Helicopter lands
A trenchcoat man comes running
Having fun
The only way he knows
Leg hurting bad
From getting too near explosions
He talks to a medbot
To fix his feet

Feeling alright
He'll stun six more tonight
Nearby guard hears the fight
And sounds alarms
Trenchcoat Man, my friend
Don't you just jump out and shoot them
You idiot
Now they've blown off your arms

Do you still remember
When you did training missions
When you learned stealth from Anna though
I bet you didn't listen
And you run until they forget you're there
When they can't hear your sounds
And the quiet falls like
Winter's silent breath

Helicopter lands
A trenchcoat man comes running
Having fun
The only way he knows
Killing robots
With a gun that shoots explosives
He knocks every man
Off of their feet

Feeling alright
He'll kill six more tonight
Nearby guard hears the fight
And sounds alarms
It's good you spent so much on Rifles
Firefight on hard
It's only you it harms

I think they want to kill your pilot
My god a bomb
Say monotonally

Crouched behind a park bench
Sniping MJ12 with bad intent
Sunglasses in the dark
With gun and LAM he'll make his mark
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Night since the game began
Our boy wonders if he can get a moontan
Hey, Trenchcoat Man
He now wants you all dead
Dropping you down with one shot to the head
Hey, Trenchcoat Man

Oh, Trenchcoat Man

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

1. Our version of J.C. demonstrates good interrogation technique in the bar. Getting people to feel like you're sympathetic to them generally yields better results than threats.

2. The Internet Oracle, seen in Smuggler's e-mail, is a real thing that actually exists. It used to be called the Usenet Oracle, back when that was a thing. The way it works is that you send an e-mail to the Oracle with a question, and it stores that e-mail in its database. It then hands you someone else's question to answer in return. When someone answers your question, you get an e-mail with their response. Generally the response is intended to be humorous. The best ones get recorded for posterity. That's why the mail to Smuggler has a question in the bottom of it - that's what he's supposed to answer in return for the answer he got. (Clearly some group has subverted the oracle to exchange clandestine information, but that doesn't let you out of your Internet Responsibilities.)

3. I love that the evil conspiracy still has an HR department. Because of COURSE they do.

4. More Dees. :allears:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

In keeping with Deus Ex's theme of every conspiracy theory being true at once, I am morally certain that Grey Death is distributed via vaccinations, chemtrails, food additives, genetically modified crops, water flouridation, and the Loch Ness monster.

Also, I seem to recall the justification for JC being healed by food is that he's absorbing the nanomachines that are in basically all food now. But I'm second-guessing myself on that one; that bit of fluff might have been introduced in IW.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

There's a guy with a sniper rifle somewhere on that roof that, for some reason, frustrated the hell out of me the first time I played this game. I think I got capped by him more than any other enemy in the whole game. It might be the first dude you killed, in fact; it was either him or the one on the rooftop area with the triangular protrusions. I have no idea why I had such a mental block with that dickhead.

It might be because I played this level nonlethally. Wow, you really are racking up the body count here. It's a very different experience when you're sneaking through the building trying to take out one guy at a time without alerting anyone else.

Speaking of sniper rifles, this is why I like the sniper rifle, and Deus Ex has just enough open areas to really show it off. There's nothing quite like taking out five dudes who didn't even know you were there before they ever become an obstacle.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Bluemage142 posted:

One point I'd like to add to the Conspiracy Corner discussion is that gun control laws are a political tool, much like everything else the US government is involved in. New laws are passed in order to make the government, or specific members thereof, look like they're doing something- like they're tough on crime. Not much is done to actually enforce these laws... but there sure are a lot of them. Tens of thousands of them, as a matter of fact.

There are also tens of thousands of laws regulating, for instance, toast, so that isn't particularly meaningful. I would agree, though, that part of the problem with gun control laws is that we have a patchwork of sometimes conflicting laws across multiple states. Simplifying the code so that it's clear and understandable should be one of our long-term goals as a country, but "simplify" does not mean "weaken". In fact, one of the longstanding problems is that these laws often leave holes in the protections that do exist that only apply in specific situations (the famous gun show loophole, for instance).

Bluemage142 posted:

Also, American political thought began with- and is still strongly influenced by- the ideas and writings of the Founding Fathers. I'm sure you all have heard the Franklin quote "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

That's still a strong belief, though less so than it once was- the idea that there's a moral value in not giving up freedoms, even if doing so would make people's lives easier. The freedom to have guns is one of those freedoms... and was also, earlier on, a check against the possibility of government tyranny. If everybody has guns, it's rather difficult to enforce unpopular laws... something the early Americans rather approved of, as they just got finished fighting a war against that very thing.

The problem here is that it's far too simple a view of freedom. Restricting freedom on one group is frequently necessary to maximize it for another. Just as an example: the ultimate freedom, in some ways, would be to have no laws whatsoever. Do whatever you want! That's pretty free, right? Except that the results of that would be fairly horrifying; the strong dominating the weak, so that the only freedom the weak have is which master they want to serve and when they get to die in a ditch. More and less freedom are almost impossible to measure as totally abstract quantities. The more interesting questions are, "who is given what freedom by this, and from whom is it taken" and "what price does society pay to grant this freedom".

Bluemage142 posted:

I would also point out that there are societies that have high levels of gun ownership and low levels of crime (Switzerland, for example). There are also societies with low levels of gun ownership, and high levels of crime (England typically has between two and four times the violent crime rates of the US). Guns don't cause crime. They just make it a heck of a lot easier... both to commit it, and to defend against it.

This is an often-quoted but wholly inaccurate statistic. The "violent crime" rates in the U.S. include only murder, forcible rape, robbery (stealing by force or threat of force), and aggravated assault. The "violent crime" rate in the U.K. includes a number of other crimes, including all sexual crimes, all assaults, etc. It's not even comparing apples and oranges, it's like comparing apples and wax apples. If you look at specific crimes, you see a different picture; homicide, for instance. In 2012, the U.K. had 1.2 murders per 100k people, whereas the U.S. had 4.7, which is to say, almost four times as many murders. Even if that weren't the case, though, a pure count of violent crimes is a junk statistic. If you believed that the rate of, for instance, non-aggravated assaults in the U.K. were four times higher than the U.S., you start to get into uncomfortable territory like "how many assaults are equivalent to a murder". If you choose this actuarial method of evaluating crime, I would suggest that the answer is probably not "one".

As for Switzerland, it's a bit of an odd case because it has compulsory military conscription, so every adult male has had military training and has basically been handed a firearm by the government. Most cases of firearm ownership across the world do not involve that level of training or social acceptance. While ownership statistics are high, its gun laws are actually fairly restrictive - if you want to carry that weapon around, you're going to have to get a license that is generally only granted to people working jobs that require it (private security, for instance). It's definitely clear, though, that the way the laws and culture operate on people is more important than the number of firearms in circulation.

That stuff being cleared up, it's safe to say that there are many, many factors which affect all kinds of crime statistics; areas of poverty will tend to have higher crime, for instance, and if your entire country is an "area of poverty" you're going to have higher violent crime rates no matter what your gun laws look like. That doesn't mean that particular types of gun laws aren't one of those factors; it's just a common mistake made on both sides of the gun control debate to imagine that they're the only factor involved, and it can be damned hard to unravel which factor is causing what kind of change. (The best and most comprehensive study I saw showed that higher percentage of firearm ownership... resulted in higher percentages of murder using firearms. Shocking.) The evidence seems to generally point to homicides going up as gun ownership percentages increase (just as an example, State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.), but it's not clear what effect it has on other types of violent crime, or whether those factors could be altered without changing the percentage of gun ownership through other means.

Bluemage142 posted:

If guns are just tools, then the issue is the people wielding them... and the people are shaped by the society around them. What would it say about America, as a country, if the government got to say 'You are, all of you, too immature- too irresponsible- to be permitted firearms'?

On the other hand, some of us are too irresponsible. Some of us shouldn't have access to firearms. So what do you do? Do you take them away from everybody, whether or not they have the moral strength to use them responsibly or not? Do you reform the society, teaching the next generation to be responsible with their freedoms? Or do you try to find the irresponsible, and keep them (and only them) from getting their hands on guns?

I recall when Napster made this same argument. After all, they said, you don't HAVE to share files you don't have a license for! Megaupload did the same. And the government did, indeed, rule that providing a tool that can let you commit crimes is in fact not necessarily a thing we want people doing. There were actually legitimate uses of both of those sites, but it wasn't enough to save them and much as some people might have been personally put out by it, it's hard to say the judges made the wrong rulings in those cases.

A tool generally has a specific purpose. If we decide that that purpose is socially unfortunate, restricting that tool is in fact the right way to go. Does that mean we should go out tomorrow and ban all guns? Eh, that's probably not the thing to do. But we also shouldn't be afraid to pass whatever laws are necessary to keep those things regulated and safe and minimize the damage they do.

In the context of Deus Ex... well, it doesn't address gun control EXACTLY directly, because it's a shooter and they kind of want to give you guns. But it does represent something Bobbin said fairly well; the cycle of force. Most people start the game stunning and batonning their enemies, but eventually you reach a point where the level of force directed at your character makes that tough to maintain, and you begin responding lethally. It'd be interesting if people directed less force at you if you could resist that urge, but I suppose that wouldn't fit the game so well.

Also, one thing it's easy to forget in later levels is that the NSF are giant assholes. They're fighting other assholes, but they are still doing things like propping up local drug dealers and wiring people to subway bombs. Everyone is terrible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Crigit posted:

In the video you wondered how Manderley knew about you talking to the journalist. Wouldn't the infolink account for that? JC is constantly streaming telemetry back to hq.

The journalist is an informant. So is the bartender. Flip a coin as to which one ratted him out first.

(Nothing Counts As A Spoiler Rule!)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Tell her you're looking for Stanton Dowd later in the game. An assassin will come after him when you find him as a result.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

What nano augs would you get in real life? I'd be happy with a rebreather/aqualung and some auto-triage.

Regeneration for sure. I'm tempted to say Cloak, too, just because it's nice not to be noticed sometimes.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I actually mentioned Cloak in mine, but I agree. In terms of day-to-day usefulness, invisibility really has few non-nefarious purposes.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, this is me when it comes to drugs. I even stopped drinking caffeinated soda a few years ago. I also tell people I don't use them because I'm a control freak. Did play WoW for an awful long time, though.

As for dialogue, you cannot properly understand the plot of Deus Ex without talking to random homeless people. It is not possible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Modest consumption can have some health benefits if you drink coffee. A higher intake can, depending on various factor, lead to migraines, higher blood pressure, chronic indigestion, excess peeing, and death.

I, however, have never managed to make myself like coffee no matter how adulterated, and pounding six Dr. Peppers a day, as I used to, is not good for anyone, especially if you have weight problems already. The only way I figured out to stop doing that is just to stop drinking the stuff.

E: Just to clarify, I'm not saying that any drug in particular is the wrong choice for someone else. They just aren't for me.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 11, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

The trick is to realize drugs AREN'T for everybody. Any decently experienced head will tell you you don't give certain kinds of drugs to certain personality types; for example, I should never, ever, ever do downers of any kind besides alcohol. And for some people, the need to feel in control of their perceptions and actions FAR outweighs any of the new experiences that drug use can bring. And you know what? That's fine. I have zero issue with straight edge people; some of my best friends are straight edge. It takes all kinds, and I think we need whacked-out goofuses like me as much as we need grounded people to keep us from acting too much like loons.

In short, let's all get along. This shouldn't have to be a big thing. :drugnerd:

I'm just quoting this because it's really good.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

He's doing it because he's autistic, and we do that kind of poo poo when we don't think it through.
So everyone else: I'd appreciate if you'd not dogpile him.

This too. I think the dude has been thoroughly chastened at this point, come on.

One thing we haven't gone into much is the way we as a society look at drugs, which is just as important as the physiological effects they have. I think the reason we end up with as many self-destructive drug users as we do has something to do with the fact that we tend to look at being addicted as a personal failing, not to mention it being illegal. Put those things together, and it's hard for people who are starting to have problems to actually go and get any help; they feel like it poses a huge social and legal risk to them, and frequently they're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Magil of Shadow posted:

And by that, I mean, for the most part, how we're NOT educated about drugs. Growing up, all I knew about pot was that it was worse then cigarettes, and that it was a gateway drug to worse drugs. Granted, the 'gateway' drug bit is still true, though for the more obvious fact that when the average 'first time' user tries pot, and sees that it's not the devil weed that propaganda labels it to be, they're no doubt bound to react "Hey, This didn't do what they said it would. I wonder what other things so and so were wrong about"

Studies have shown that the best way to prevent kids from doing drugs is to lay out information about the risks that is as close to 100% accurate as you can make it. It still doesn't have a huge effect, but it's tons better than feeding them crap they are inevitably going to find out is wrong. Nevertheless, the "scared straight" meme persists.

• Locked thread