Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Making a thread because it applies to ALL SOE games including Everquest/Everquest 2/Everquest Next/Everquest Next Landmark/Vanguard/Planetside/Planetside 2/DC Universe.

quote:

"The current benefit of receiving 500 Station Cash (SC) monthly will be replaced with a new program that allows you to select one single item valued up to 2000 SC each month. Nearly all items within the games’ Marketplace will be available for this selection. Players Studio, bundles and additional exclusions may apply. This new benefit must be claimed each month that you are a member as it will not carry over to subsequent months."

Source: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/2014-membership-benefit-update.544282/

quote:

We are considering (and are likely going to move forward with) a plan that means if you subscribe to one of our games you are a subscriber to all our games (this applies to PC titles only btw).. all for the current $14.99 a month. That's a benefit most companies simply can't offer because they don't have our portfolio of games. The goal would be to let you pick an item in each game you play. Some of you might say "well who cares..I only play Planetside 2. How is that a benefit to me?" My answer is simple - we've got a great lineup of games, some of which aren't announced yet that cater to a lot of players. We have EQN and EQNL coming along with other..... games... that PS2 players might just like

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ukdxb/regarding_the_changes_to_our_subscription_plans/

Then a bunch of butthurt whiners on Reddit started complaining about not being able to stockpile Station Cash and the position got changed, again.

quote:

Thanks for the feedback. We listened.

We're keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the "pick an item" system. We heard you. You didn't like the change. The only change we are making is that we're now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though :) I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it's the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ulcav/moving_forward_with_subscription_plan_changes/

So yeah, instead of getting 2000SC ($20) towards one item that you could purchase once a month, now we're back to 500SC ($5) that you can save every month with your Total Access subscription (benefits throughout all SOE games for $14.99 a month). So now, you have the privilege of being able to hoard your 500 SC for 4 months in order to get what we were being offered in the first place.

What do you guys think about that?

The reduction of total access is quite good though. Getting ALL these benefits throughout the entire SOE portfolio for your usual subscription fee? Pretty good deal. It just could have been a fuckton better.

https://www.everquest2.com/free
https://www.planetside2.com/membership
https://www.everquest.com/free
https://www.vanguardthegame.com/free
https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free?locale=en_US

If you disagree with the reversal, post on the forums, tweet @j_smedley, make sure the vocal minority of reddit appear as what they are, a minority.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I had my way, you all would pay for everything in those games.

Bullets? $3
New Gun that shoots bullets harder? $10
+2 Booby Armor for your online Barbie? $7

Currently SOE's microtransactions are micro enough. :colbert:

EDIT: WHen i mean everything, I mean everything.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I actually prefer the 500 SC a month. There have been plenty of months gone by where there really wasn't anything I cared about in the shop, and plenty of stuff I've picked up that was sub-500 SC. Under the initial new plan I'd basically be *losing* free SC a lot of the time.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I'd imagine the vast majority of microtransactions are just that, micro. I don't really know a lot about SOE's system or what 20 bucks gets you, but I can see why people would rather have the option of getting multiple smaller things.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I'd imagine the vast majority of microtransactions are just that, micro. I don't really know a lot about SOE's system or what 20 bucks gets you, but I can see why people would rather have the option of getting multiple smaller things.

Guns in Planetside 2 are usually around 600-700. Everquest, I can't count the number of things that are around 1000+ that I'd love to buy. That means you wouldn't be able to get a gun/mount/cosmetic armor piece that month off SC alone. With the new system, you'd at least be able to do that every month and get pretty much anything you want. If you wait and horde it, you have to wait and save it until you have enough.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 7, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Are you really bitching about free SC? Get real.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Are you really bitching about free SC? Get real.

I am bitching about the potential change of giving us 2000SC (doesn't stack) versus 500SC every month that you get with a $15 premium subscription that does stack and would have happened if a bunch of reddit users hadn't whined and gotten their way. Let's say I want one of the cool 1950SC mounts in Everquest II. I would have to save up for 4 months, 1/3rd of an entire year or cough up $20 to get it. With the proposed system, I'd get it, and another the following month.

Let's say I want a 800SC gun/armor in Planetside 2/Vanguard. I'd have to either wait two months to get the 800SC through the 500SC increments or I could just wait buy it, sure I'm not using the other 1200SC but at least I'd be able to afford it.

I'm failing to see the downside here.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I was actually a bit peeved about the change, since it meant that I could never attain enough free SC to buy a character transfer token, which is 2500. I might be interested in buying such tokens in the near future.

All in all though, I :rolleyes: at SOE and their whole SC circus, but eh, the way things are going, I'll probably be desensitized to it in a few years.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pilsner posted:

I was actually a bit peeved about the change, since it meant that I could never attain enough free SC to buy a character transfer token, which is 2500. I might be interested in buying such tokens in the near future.

All in all though, I :rolleyes: at SOE and their whole SC circus, but eh, the way things are going, I'll probably be desensitized to it in a few years.

Serious question. After you get that 2500SC token, how would you feel knowing that you could get 2000SC per month instead of 500?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Alexander DeLarge posted:

So yeah, instead of getting 2000SC ($20) towards one item that you could purchase once a month, now we're back to 500SC ($5) that you can save every month with your Total Access subscription (benefits throughout all SOE games for $14.99 a month). So now, you have the privilege of being able to hoard your 500 SC for 4 months in order to get what we were being offered in the first place.

What do you guys think about that?

I would much rather be able to hoard 500SC a month because every time I've spent station cash, it's been in large amounts for stuff like big bags (2500), server transfer tokens (2500), and expansion purchases(a lot). I give zero shits about 99% of what's in the station store, and most stuff I do want to buy is limited time offers. I think I've gone like 8 months at a time in EQ not spending a single station cash dime, but with the 500SC a month deal, I racked up and am sitting on 9,000+ SC that's ready and waiting to spend on EQN: landmark. They should just let users choose to have one or the other month by month. If you don't redeem your 2000sc item, you get 500 points credit.

Serious question. After you get that 2500SC token, how would you feel knowing that you could get 2000SC per month instead of 500?

It's not though, it's being able to redeem one item per month that they've valuing at 2000 or less. So for someone who wants a 2500 character transfer token or big bag, they can never get it without paying 2500SC out of pocket. These are the kinds of items most people I know buy with their SC -the more expensive and practical stuff-, not the cosmetic sparklepony mounts or whatever.

You're hung up on the "2000SC a month value" when the reality is that "Any one item valued at under 2000SC a month" kind of bones people who would rather use their SC for the more useful SC purchases, most of which are over 2000SC and so would gain absolutely no benefit from this. Right now, most of the 'good' items I've bought have been 2500+. I would bet money that if SoE started giving out the 'Pick one 2000SC and under month' tokens, even more items would shift into that 2500 tier.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 7, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the stupidest OP I've read in a while. The current iteration of what SOE is planning to do is downright amazing from a value and choice perspective. Period.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
The 500 a month's far better deal in atleast PS2 since there aren't any 2500 weapon options (Yet) And yes I'd love the option to get a FREE pretty pony option instead of saving up for something else. Increasing prices to 2000+ would be even better. :downs:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
You can bet that SOE would never make a change to benefit the consumer so I don't even need to look at item prices to know any change they would make would be worse.

It's simple logic.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

This is the stupidest OP I've read in a while. The current iteration of what SOE is planning to do is downright amazing from a value and choice perspective. Period.

Better than being able to pick up any item valued at 1-2000SC per month instead of having to save up? Yeah, I'm not dealing with any 2000+ SC items so it doesn't bother me but those are generally reserved for account services like name changes, server transfers and whatnot.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I guess the basic idea was to not let people stockpile sc money for eqnext so they could milk the whales all over again. 2000 a month would be better in the next game, at this point anyone who has been playing EQ2 for years probably rather have the 500 points going to their stockpile, it is clearly the better option.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Better than being able to pick up any item valued at 1-2000SC per month instead of having to save up? Yeah, I'm not dealing with any 2000+ SC items so it doesn't bother me but those are generally reserved for account services like name changes, server transfers and whatnot.

Like I said, when you factor in Choice + Value it's a no brainer. Being forced to get something is not what I call a good thing for the consumer. There's a lot more that needs to be factored in, instead of looking at the face value 2000SC.

I can say with little doubt that the majority of people will see that the 500SC option + choice is of greater value to them. I doubt they are being the vocal minority here.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
This whole SC change is stupid and a huge waste of time for their paying customers. All because some idiot at SOE freaked out because their paying customers are hording station cash. I am pretty happy about the all access price change though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't understand their whole issue with the SC stockpile for the next game they release, They are still getting the membership cash NOW for that 500sc that will be spent on imaginary pixels at a future point when the $5 it would cost for the 500sc would be worth even less if it was just purchased at that later date. They should love that people are giving them more money today, at 3 times the price, and not in a year plus for the same amount of SC at standard price.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
The only thing I can think of is they are going to have to start handing out real money to people for the stuff they make in landmark. Someone noticed all these people with huge stockpiles of station cash and realized they might have to pay some of that out to players in real money. It doesn't matter that all these people have paid SOE for those station points.

Part of the reason why I kept a year sub on my SOE accounts was the free station cash. I knew if I quit playing for a month or two at least I would have the $5 in station cash every month so it wasn't a complete waste and overall I would still be ahead by subbing a year.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
If the change went through, and it allowed you to purchase one item up to 2000SC, that inevitably gives SOE a bit of power when it comes to pricing, forcing certain items to be "just too expensive" to get. Items they know many people will want might be priced just above this limit, causing people to have to purchase more SC anyways.

Reverting back to the original system is much better for the customer in the long run.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

G Prestige posted:

If the change went through, and it allowed you to purchase one item up to 2000SC, that inevitably gives SOE a bit of power when it comes to pricing, forcing certain items to be "just too expensive" to get. Items they know many people will want might be priced just above this limit, causing people to have to purchase more SC anyways.

Reverting back to the original system is much better for the customer in the long run.

That's pretty much it and I'm glad that someone at SOE realized that they were about to burn all of their earned goodwill on a stupid, stupid change for no other reason than some pencil pusher somewhere did some bad math about people "hoarding" SC.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm crying tears of solidarity over how badly these gamers were hosed

Stay strong

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It was briefly mentioned above so I'll ask this here instead of in the EQ thread. I'm thinking about transferring a character from one of my f2p accounts onto one of my paid accounts. That requires a 2500SC token, that if I read the instructions right, needs to be on the character to be transferred. I have 2500+ SC sitting on the paid account, can I buy the token with that account or do I have to pony up the $25 on the f2p account to buy the token?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

saintonan posted:

It was briefly mentioned above so I'll ask this here instead of in the EQ thread. I'm thinking about transferring a character from one of my f2p accounts onto one of my paid accounts. That requires a 2500SC token, that if I read the instructions right, needs to be on the character to be transferred. I have 2500+ SC sitting on the paid account, can I buy the token with that account or do I have to pony up the $25 on the f2p account to buy the token?

I believe you don't use a transfer token for a transfer between accounts but you have to contact customer support and they handle it manually.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

If I had my way, you all would pay for everything in those games.

Bullets? $3
New Gun that shoots bullets harder? $10
+2 Booby Armor for your online Barbie? $7

Currently SOE's microtransactions are micro enough. :colbert:

EDIT: WHen i mean everything, I mean everything.
I agree. Nothing in life is free, and free to play games should be no exception.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I was about to say that I've never seen anything worth getting for under 2000 in EQ1, but now that I check, I see that there are 20-slot bags and 40-slot tradeskill bags for around 2000. Not too shabby.

Eh well to either solution; I'm fundamentally against pay to win, even minor useful items, but I know my opinion on that matter is moot.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pilsner posted:

I was about to say that I've never seen anything worth getting for under 2000 in EQ1, but now that I check, I see that there are 20-slot bags and 40-slot tradeskill bags for around 2000. Not too shabby.

Eh well to either solution; I'm fundamentally against pay to win, even minor useful items, but I know my opinion on that matter is moot.

The mounts for around 1900/1950 are great.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

The mounts for around 1900/1950 are great.

Which is why I would bet money that they would suddenly become 2100 SC or they do something like not allow you to combine standard SC with the "grant" SC.

Hesiod
Apr 17, 2003

tehfeer posted:

The only thing I can think of is they are going to have to start handing out real money to people for the stuff they make in landmark. Someone noticed all these people with huge stockpiles of station cash and realized they might have to pay some of that out to players in real money. It doesn't matter that all these people have paid SOE for those station points.

Part of the reason why I kept a year sub on my SOE accounts was the free station cash. I knew if I quit playing for a month or two at least I would have the $5 in station cash every month so it wasn't a complete waste and overall I would still be ahead by subbing a year.

Reading past even the first post in any of the reddit threads about this you'll find an explanation of the accounting rules which are not optional that make people hoarding station cash a very bad thing for the company.

Not that I can blame anyone for not clicking over to :reddit:

Hesiod fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 9, 2014

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Sintor posted:

Which is why I would bet money that they would suddenly become 2100 SC or they do something like not allow you to combine standard SC with the "grant" SC.

I wouldn't.

The thing people don't realize about the subscription-based granted SC is that SOE doesn't really give a poo poo about it. Their revenue model for the majority of their games is only loosely based around the cash shop itself. It's primarily based around getting you to sub. And it works. It's why they push content out so rapidly for each of their games - they have a consistent, reliable revenue stream. It's the same reason they removed the ability to buy subscription time using Station Cash - a ton of people were waiting until double or triple SC sales, stocking up using WalMart cards for the bonus SC, and getting their sub at a huge discount. When your revenue model is primarily still based around a subscription, that's the last thing you want people doing.

Hesiod
Apr 17, 2003

Here's some more context re: my earlier post:

quote:

I agree with you :) sadly accountants around the world have decided (starting with the IRS) that the accounting for virtual items is done not even when we sell you the item (in most cases). If a person tops up $100 in their wallet.... and then promptly spend $50 of it... we can't even recognize that $50 in the month we sell the items. we have to spread it over the expected lifetime of the player (yes we still have the cash). That's actually how the accounting for these things works. And that extra $50 if it's never spent sits on our books.
For those of you that think this method of accounting seems backwards... it is. I agree with you. The irony here is more and more states are starting to charge sales tax on virtual items.
Imagine this scenario - we don't have to imagine btw.. we live it.
Same guy as above spends $100 to top up SC in Texas (one of the states that implemented this early).
He waits a year before he spends it because maybe he's overseas on duty or something. We have to remit the sales tax on that $100 but we are unable to recognize any of that revenue until it's spent.
I don't want to make this sound melodramatic. I just want people to recognize we aren't making these decisions inside of a bubble where we aren't aware that these decisions can have meaningful impact on players spending and their desire to play. I just want you all to better understand the "why" even if you disagree it.
Smed

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sintor posted:

They're getting $15 every 30 days. They know not to push it because people would just say "gently caress it" and unsubscribe if they started doing that to artificially inflate prices to gouge money out of their subscribers.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Nothing is ever as unsatisfying as the technical explanation.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would think unrecognized income would be great because you have real cash in hand and you won't have to pay taxes on it until it is recognized. At least I believe that's how it works (any tax experts feel free to correct me).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

nelson posted:

I would think unrecognized income would be great because you have real cash in hand and you won't have to pay taxes on it until it is recognized. At least I believe that's how it works (any tax experts feel free to correct me).

This is how things like this have worked forever not sure why they think the accounting is weird. If you buy a gift card from a company they can't recognize that money until you buy poo poo with the giftcard. Yeah they have your money but you are still owed a service for that money that hasn't been claimed yet. Virtual items are just weird because they aren't real.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

nelson posted:

It just depends on if the state taxes the 'virtual currency'/gift card at the time of purchase (which would subsequently make the purchased amount using the virtual currency/gift card portion of the sale tax exempt for the purposes of remitting sales tax that month), or if the gift card/currency is a tax-free purchase, and upon use of the card/currency the value of the item is taxed at the point of sale (web, restaurant).

It's more complicated than that, but I believe that to be accurate in a simple way.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Well this makes sense I mean a lot of kids play SOE games.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
Would you like to purchase one piece of poo poo item from the store valued at up to 2000 YouHaveBeenRippedOffPoints or would you like to bank 500 YHBROP that can be used at any time.

Sony: Only letting one group of idiotic customers dictate policy.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Didn't they already give you 500 SC every month for your subscription that you didn't have to claim?

quote:

The goal would be to let you pick an item in each game you play.
One 2000 SC item IN EACH GAME YOU PLAY? I can't believe people whined about that. Oh wait yes I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
If SOE wanted to make some mean cash, let us transfer characters BETWEEN GAMES!

Let my Planetside 2 Heavy assault into Everquest.

• Locked thread