Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

While it's nowhere near Law and Order-levels of amazement, there are quite a few surprising guest stars scattered through the show. People have already mentioned Luke Wilson, Horace from Lost, and some others. Seth Green shows up at least once as a teenager who sees the monster while he's out doing drugs, and I want to say that he pops up again at the end in one with Michael Emerson.

Pre-Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston shows up, maybe in the role where he met Vince Gilligan. Plus a fatter, younger Jack Black is a video game superstar, and post-fame Victoria Jackson in her last role before spiraling off to crazy town. The killer from Saw is a guy who loves cigarettes. Also Alex Trebek gets in there during one of the best episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

It also managed to survive the Friday Night Death Slot when it got a second chance on Sundays.

It was responsible for creating the Friday night death slot. Executives kept putting niche shows there because they remembered how well the x-files did and wanted to replicate that success. The x-files is unintentionally responsible for the deaths of probably dozens of shows partially inspired by it. Only within the past few years has Friday become what it was before the x-files: a dumping ground for reruns and old tv-edited movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's also usually completely wrong when he does that. Like, he thinks it's vampires and she thinks it's a rare disease, but actually it's some weird blood-drinking animal that hibernates for 20 years at a time or something. Scully makes him way more responsible by demanding some evidence-based arguments from time to time.

Skepticism doesn't mean off-hand rejection of anything not typical: it means that you make claims based on the available evidence, and if the inquiry leads to bigfoot then Scully goes along.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Unsolved Mysteries one sounds cool, though really similar to the COPS one that came later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Hopefully I'm not necroing the thread too badly...

One thing I've found on my recent X-Files kick is how little I care about the Main Arc, as others have expressed. Thing is, the whole notion of an alien-abduction-gubmit-conspiracy is a bit mundane and played-out.

There's the thing: is it played out because of the X-Files, or has time/culture gone by enough that it's just innately played out?

It's kind of weird: X-Files has its origin in a mix of 70s pop-culture sci-fi dystopian paranoia (The Conversation, Futureworld, Kolchak) and real-life, Clinton-era right-wing insanity (FEMA death camps, one-world government).

I'd say like the poster above that paranoia has become a lot more widespread and mainstream since the start of the decade, but it's far less way more amorphous and wide-ranging. It seems kind of quaint to think of the government as a single entity controlling everything when the kinds of stories you get now are about high-ranking senators calling Obamacare a Stalinist plot while a presidential candidate from the same party gets recorded telling his high-end donors that he plans to gently caress over the middle class to make them all richer. There's this kind of fenzy now where anyone can get exposed doing anything at any time and even the nutters have quit trying to construct a single narrative to explain it all.

Since 9/11, we've become terrified of everything and a single conspiracy can't capture our flavor of paranoia any more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An Old Boot posted:

Screenshots:

X-Files -

The Thing -

It's mostly filters and effects they used to make it look dark. I could take more screenshots, but I think these are pretty telling. It's understandable they'd want the footage. Going out to the arctic on their own to get shots of a random outpost would be a huge pain (as seen by the trials The Thing cast and crew went through to get to Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK). Also, the homage is always appreciated. The Thing doesn't get nearly enough credit.

re: Spender, on rewatching the series, I just cringe every time he shows up, even if he is being a dick. Like, seriously. EDIT: Interestingly (or not) around S7 or so, I'd been unable to watch it due to lack of VCR and work hours that conflicted with seeing it when it was still airing. When I did catch a part of it, I thought it'd been cancelled because no one I recognized was in the episode at all. I thought Psi Factor got a bigger budget until Scully finally showed up. By then, I wasn't as grabbed by it anymore, so it was years after I'd shrugged off the series that I actually saw (after getting all the DVD sets :lol:) the S9 episode that made it all click, and when it did, holy poo poo. I remember being no-poo poo hit harder by Spender's last hurrah than anything else in the entire series. Dude was a fucker, but goddamn.

EDIT 2: In Ice, it's amusing as hell to me that Bear is basically MacReady, and happens to be the first victim. See also: hello dogge.

Oh Psi-Factor, the bargain-bin (even moreso) Canadian X-Files. Dan Akroyd will still claim that the OSIR is a real organization that submitted material for the show. I honestly can't tell if he really believes that or not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

"That's too bad, because the next rape you experience will probably be your own in prison."

Holy poo poo. They don't say things like that on network television anymore.

You don't watch enough SVU, though even they have to be more subtle about it these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

Awesome stand-up comedian and Silicon Valley actor Kumail Nanjiani just started a new podcast: The X-Files Files,
in which he intends to go in-depth and talk about his favorite episodes X-Files or at least the really good episodes.
This week opens with Pilot/Deep Throat:

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/

It's pretty good!

This podcast is really amazing. He gets some very thoughtful guests who are also incredibly funny. And he was recently contacted by Autumn Tysko, a very early internet reviewer who posted really smart reviews that I can remember being one of the first things I read regularly on the internet. She got bored with the show around 1999 and disappeared, and for years afterward people would post about what happened to her or where she went ( she was internet famous from the early days of the show, but just did reviews). It was kind of a thrill to hear from her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exploder posted:

I remember reading her reviews too... man, that was a long time ago. And I like the guy from Silicon Valley. I'm going to have to check this out now. I had it bookmarked and never got around to listening to it.

Yeah, there hasn't been any news or developments since January when I started this thread. It has to be released on blu-ray at some point, it just has to. If Twin Peaks got a blu-ray release, you would surely think they would do the same justice for the X-Files.

I forgot to mention that he's also started reading old usenet posts from the original airings of each episode, originally from alt.binaries.scifi and then from one dedicated to the show. It's fascinating to hear what trolling was like at the dawn of the internet, and to see how people watched this show in the context of 1993 television. When "Eve" aired a bunch of people thought that clones were a big part of the mythology and that Mulder was an Adam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That podcast is absolutely one of the best I've ever heard. His other one is kind of lame because it's just him joking around with a guest about whatever, but the demand to do some analysis of something specific really generates some good discussion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Boot posted:

The two that come to mind aren't nearly as good as Tooms, though, unfortunately. But there is one callback to a great S2 monster in one of the best MOTW episodes of S3.

What callback is this? I remember a joke about Tooms in the episode with Tony Shaloub, but that's about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've been sad since I found out that Devin Faraci is apparently an rear end in a top hat in the CineD Who Greenlighted thread, as I've found his contributions to the X-Files Files incredible. He's taught me a ton about the cultural scene of the early 90s and conspiracy theories, which I do admittedly find really interesting. He and Carmen Esposito are probably my favorite guests.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Boot posted:

Yes.

The other callback MOTW eps are pretty much straight-up garbage (Orison, Kitsunegari - though Kitsunegari gets some props for the blue paint scene. Orison is just loving terrible.)

You're right about the graphics. Considering it's got SH2 to compete with - strictly on the survival horror side of things - it's weak as hell, but I figure that most of the budget went into paying the voice actors. The story is fun, a little ridiculous in a lot of places, but, all in all, I enjoyed it as a 'buy it for two bux' used game.

EDIT: and I'll admit that I was more than a little amused by seeing all the male VAs put on lipstick for their readings.

I've been putting it on my MP3 player and listening to it in the car/at work. It's really fun. Also worth putting in there for anyone who hasn't seen the show, but happens to be curious about it.

The rear end in a top hat in the what and the huh?

Only thing I know about him is that he pissed off a bunch of screeching gamergate shitlords. :allears:

I guess he has a blog where he picks fights with people who write or direct movies he doesn't like? He never seems aggressive or unfair on x-files files.

I have honestly never heard of him outside the podcast. I only know Kumail from being Prismo on Adventure Time. His guests are pretty much mysteries to me. I thought they were all just LA comics he knew personally.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense, which is confusing because it's a sequel to an X-Files episode and features David Duchovney's face in an ad for scientology.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

So I have got to ask a question that bothered me since I was a kid, watching the X-Files with my parents. Are those weird egg things in the title sequence actually from an episode, or are they just there because they look weird?

It's mirrored time-lapse footage of a germinating seed. The only shot from an episode is the one of them busting through a door, which is in the second episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 7 was part of an insane multimedia Moby blitz. He was the most heavily licensed artist ever for a long time because of that. Tons of commercials, Gone in 60 Seconds, and the very start of that special corporate synergy thing where the studio puts albums from its record label into episodes of its popular shows. I swear I heard every track on Play long before I bought the record.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched one about a magic panther killing people who stole sacred artifacts from an ancient burial site. It's season 3, X-Files: you can do better than a magic panther. That one about the invisible zoo animals was a season earlier and was at least weird as gently caress.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skinner's the tough dad who's a hardass because he knows that's what you need.

Seeing that dad cry is scary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the one where Chinese immigrants gamble for their internal organs, and it stars a young DB Wong, which I remembered from when it aired--and a ridiculously young Lucy Liu, which I had never realized. She must be like 20 in it.

In all the talk of now-famous actors doing day-player parts on the X-Files, nobody ever mentions her along with Ryan Reynolds and Giovanni Ribisi and everyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is however followed by "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," which is bar-none the best episode of the series and one of the finest, most tightly plotted, finely directed, immaculately acted episodes of television ever. It is Darin Morgan's masterpiece. There's not a wasted scene, not a word out of place, and nothing left to say. It's genius. It perfectly encapsulates what the show is all about, but more than that speaks to human experience in a way that I am sure resonates with people who don't know anything about it. It's just a good story that doesn't require you to know or care anything about the X-Files to get it.

Why didn't that guy ever write for television again? That show was a nursery for this generation's best tv professionals, and the guy just drifts out of the business after putting them all to shame like it was nothing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Veeta posted:

After getting more than a few episodes in I think you're right, it was more a couple of moments in the first two episodes that gave me that impression. I'll put it more down to the actress finding her feet in the role than anything else. Also, I'm running into less synth music as I'm going on - very disappointing.

I hope you like the oboe, my friend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So in the one where Skinner gets visited by that sex ghost, was the ghost supposed to be some kind of psychic projection from his wife, or was there just a ghost that periodically saves Skinner from death just because?

And if it was his wife, is his wife just psychic or is she some eternal magical entity who can do anything? Because if she could control it at all, maybe magically spinning the smoking man's head around in his sleep would have been useful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I believe at some point they pull a Chuck Cunningham/middle daughter from Family Matters on him and say it was always just Scully and her sister.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whatever happened to that fat guy with the Edward-James-Olmos-with-asthma-who-just-walked-up-a-hill voice?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought it was that they had an affair and Samantha was really the smoking man's kid? And CSM still loved her but she doesn't really like him?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus there are unrelated aliens like the space amish, brain parasites, and shape-changing minor-league pitchers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everybody probably wants to see the smoking man and John Neville and stuff again, and probably forgot that those characters were killed seasons before the end of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did he get better from getting pushed down the stairs in a wheelchair?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They did have cell phones by season 2 or so. Reception was frequently a big problem, as was dropping them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think that guy who replaced Skinner as the X-Files agents' boss was better than people give him credit for being. He looked like he was a bad guy for so long, but in the end he was just kind of an rear end in a top hat trying to honest work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's like the closest thing to a third regular character! Him and the photos of Bill Clinton and Janet Reno.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's weird, Mulder and Scully look younger now and he hasn't aged a day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So, these may be blasphemy in this thread, but I'm looking to watch the X-files with my girlfriend, and wondering if there is an episode lists the main story arch episodes, as I know a lot of season 1 at least is "filler" by comparison what the main story ends up being and the main character relations.

The main story doesn't really take shape until the second half of season 2. Until then there are just kind of alien-focused episodes every so often.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the horrible ones are worth it for generally being hilarious. The one where Mulder teams up with a British person to stop Badger from Firefly is amazing cheese.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The actor is dead so it would be pointless.

But I think we can all agree that is the thing that should be retconned

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is it about tv continuation comics using characters and plots from the show for their big reveals? It's like they think of themselves as lesser than, or illegitimate in comparison to, the tv show that made them and so they just rehash what's familiar from the show. If you're really Season 10, though, own it and make some new characters and stories. I mean, I'm curious about what the flukeman has been up to all these years, but you can do new stuff too. It's not like the show ever went up its own rear end rehashing stuff, although in a way I would have really preferred that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

A head sewn onto Krycek's body

But on his shoulder next to Krycek's head, so they can bicker about where to get lunch or what will happen on Krycek's date later that day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

The way I see it, only WE the viewers saw CSM die. Unreliable narrator. Nobody "in universe" saw him die; they just shot some rockets in cave, called it a day, and flew away.

Here's how you retcon it:

INTERVIEW ROOM
HELICOPTER PILOT: "Yeah, I flew that mission. We flew by the cave, launched missiles. We were told 100% the target was in there"
Flashback shows what pilot believed happened--clip of CSM in cave being immolated.
"The mission was a success, target destroyed. We flew back to base."
Clip rewinds, revealing the missiles being fired on an empty cave. Camera pulls back to view behind one way mirrored wall of interrogation room, where we see a suited hand reach into a pack of MORELYS, take out a cigarette, and light it up...

BOOM :smug:

Also I was watching T:2 today and I want to once again reiterate that I unironically can't wait for Dogget to come back. :dance:

Or this alternate option:

HELICOPTER PILOT: That was like ten years ago! Who remembers anything that happened back then? Helicopter flight season comes and goes so fast I can't always keep everything straight. I prefer to think of my best seasons that were a good three-to-five years before that. You know, 1994 until about 1998 or '99. Maybe I went on missile-shooting missions after that, but who cares? Why would anyone want to remember that?

HELICOPTER PILOT looks directly into camera and nods slowly with arched eyebrows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

killhamster posted:

Is all the missing text from the intro and location bylines back?

Yep. In glorious hi-def font that seems very slightly different from the original. It could just be my imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's an interview out there with a writer of the show who said that Hutchinson kept trying to get Gillian Anderson alone during filming, too, like trying multiple times to go back to her hotel room with her.

• Locked thread