Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mr.capps posted:

She was still kidnap by aliens and the government but then she was kidnap by the kid angels to protect her from the abuse of the evil conspiracy or something.

It was basically done so she could have kinda a happy ending and Mulder could cry.

Yeah, I thought she was killed by a serial killer who kidnapped her from the smoking man's house after she got cloned or whatever, but her soul was saved at the last minute by magical ghost children so she could frolic in forest glades.

Kind of sucks for Mulder that his bland, Frank Grimes nemesis Spender was more of a brother to her than Mulder was, and that fucker didn't even seem to know she got killed or even like her or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They had a whole episode about it with this other weird old guy. And in the original episode they play it like Peter Boyle is just loving with her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Unmarked Helicopters" is way later than season 1. I don't even think Soul Coughing was around in 1992.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Nick Cave still in the where that guy puts Scully in his trunk?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After the movie is the first decline to a plateau of several seasons. The last season with Duchovny is another drop, after that is a sharp decline. The last season is abominable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Charles Nelson Reilly as Jose Chung is probably really close to Darren Morgan's everyday self, but also that he probably didn't notice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if they'll use the same old opening with Mulder and Scully looking surprised at Tooms's dilapidated hotel room from Squeeze. Did they ever update that one with Mulder and Scully or did they just keep it until Doggett came on?

They didn't change the intro until like 2001, which only revealed how incredibly dated it was. I don't remember if they grabbed a new set of five frames from a more recent episode or just went without.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He is bad at writing songs. Why's he doing all this midlife crisis poo poo? You're no singer and you're no novelist, Mulder. It's a miracle you escaped the show and got to be on others, but that's it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one where he almost successfully seduces Agent Scully?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also in season 4: Scully straight-up sees a ghost. Total apparition of someone killed by a serial killer. It's ridiculous that she stays totally skeptical after that. I had forgotten she runs into more than just alien poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So in that one where Mulder does a bunch of drugs and has that guy drill into his skull so that he can remember being a kid, did we ever find out if his mom was really cheating on his dad with the smoking man?

The way his confrontation with her plays out just seems like she's a confused old woman who's shocked and pissed that her drugged-up insane kid would accuse her of cheating on her dead husband. Does she even show up again after that, or was that the last conversation she ever has with her son?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't 7 or 8 the one where they introduced the devil as a recurring antagonist out to get Robert Patrick or that other chick? They should have gone for that over Adam Baldwin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In "Leonerd Betts," does that scene where he crawls out of his own mouth mean that he made two living, thinking copies of himself? Because when he drives out of the storage locker, the him behind the wheel is clearly alive and driving the car. It's not just like molted a corpse of himself.

That must have been a weird conversation where he convinced the one copy to go die in a fire while he got away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one where Mulder thinks a serial killer killed his sister is great because there's a part where he confronts the killer and explains that he believes that he and the killer share a psychic link because Mulder profiled him years ago, and for just a second the killer looks at Mulder like he can't believe anybody would say something that crazy. Like, it's just the same sort of thing Mulder reels off to Scully every week halfway through the episode, but even to a lunatic murderer it sounds nuts--and in that moment you also realize just how crazy Mulder sounds all the time when you're not used to hearing him do it every week.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The big question I hope the revival will answer: what does Mulder think of the internet and does he download at work?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hoping that his grey v-neck tee makes a comeback. It's seen him through his greatest adventures. His leather jacket too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bob Ojeda posted:

Chris Carter's a fine writer with some very, very obvious flaws. More importantly, X-Files was always kind of a melange of visions, so I just wouldn't want him to write every single episode.

Of course, a lot of that also depends on how heavy they decide to go on the myth arc.

Kenny Bania, too! Very solid episode.

Wasn't that guy from Frasier there too? A real must-see-tv power-hour, that one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An incompetent crime scene technician who gets humiliated and shown up by Scully.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exploder posted:

Xander Berkeley? He's been in pretty much everything, most prominently 24 and Nikita, but I don't think he was ever in Frasier. He's an excellent character actor, though. X-Files fans should check out The Booth at the End, if you haven't already.

Never mind. I was thinking of a completely different episode. I must have swapped him and Kenny Bania in my imagination. I was thinking of Dan Butler in the satanist high school one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The grey t-shirt came back!

Or was the old one like more of a v-neck?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Rumor has it that one of the upcoming episodes is titled Home Again.

I hope it's a timely "X-Cops"-style crossover with 19 Kids and Counting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YEAH KUMAIL!

In some ways it feels like he set this revival in motion by being the first to get people talking about the X-Files after a long silence. Yeah a 90s nostalgia boom is blossoming more generally, but it couldn't hurt that he was calling up so many people who worked on the show and getting them to talk to each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This must be seriously life-changing for Kumail. It's like how I'd expect a light comedy to end, if Kumail's life were a movie about a lovable loser instead of just being the life of a lovable loser. He's going to get high-fives about this for the rest of his life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they just show up, doing their thing, no explanation.

This is best. The last time I saw an episode was 1999. Let's just pretend the show stopped at the turn of the century.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm sure this would be pretty cool, but he's already a star in a popular TV show himself so... I'm not sure stories about hanging out with 90s TV stars are going to get him any more pussy

I love him as much as anybody, but this seems a little generous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That psychic head-drilling guy has made a career out of having eyes that wobble back and forth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He really can't help sounding solicitous and good-natured. Even when he's doing evil poo poo, he stays pretty polite--maybe he's a little too Canadian to represent the American military-industrial complex.

Of course, you have about 15 more episodes before he says anything, I'm pretty sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nouvelle Vague posted:

This, but also the kind of conspiracies that were the bread-and-butter of the The X-Files seemed almost quaint in comparison to the early Bush years.

Yeah, Clinton-era paranoia was all about what was going on under the surface of the Pax Americana and the strange world that followed the end of the Cold War. A lot of it was uncertainty about what was happening and what would happen in the future, which was expressed by a general dread or sense of unease about tensions under the surface. Those tensions were economic and about the future role of nation-states.

But then what turned out to have been under the surface all along was rejection of the global economic order by non-state actors who framed their rejection in terms of a clash of civilizations, and we got a whole new narrative almost exactly as the new century began. All of the 90s fear was in the wrong direction, but it was in anticipation of another shoe dropping once the Soviet Union fell.

You can see economic and geopolitical fears all over the X-Files. Local manufacturing shutting down or being taken over by some spreading malign interest is all over that show, whether it's a monster-of-the-week reacting to exposure from globalization or a changing relationship between an isolated place and the wider world, or some alien conspiracy using industrial rail lines to ship evil clones around. Geopolitics is all over the conspiracy angle, and how there's a secret race between nations of the world that do and don't work together to change everything.

It's been mentioned before, but _Behold a Pale Horse_ really explains the zeitgeist of the times and was probably an actual source for the show's narrative.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 12, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Millennium is grim like True Detective. The dread isn't really about the cases, even, but the hopelessness of a world falling into ruin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The funny thing about Fringe is that there was an episode with some kind of senate hearing where somebody referenced "the old X-division" as a reference, and then a few episodes later they went out of their way to some somebody watching X-Files on tv, like they got scared that somebody would take the earlier in-joke as proof that the show was a sequel to the X-Files.

But then they later straight-up said that Dr. Jacoby from Twin Peaks knew Walter from medical school and never went back on it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MacDougall posted:

Do you think they named him Walter because of the ability to refer to his counterpart as Walternate or do you think they just realised it as they were going and were like "loving Jackpot"?

Pacey came up with it during an interview in his single greatest contribution to the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love that the smoking man, who is supposed to be the embodiment of American imperialism and the crimes of 5 administrations, is the most Canadian actor imaginable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They won't trick me into watching Gotham though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

The only thing that makes me optimistic is that someone said that in the Fringe S02 opener, there was a line regarding X-Files cases.

In other news, I have to go back and watch all the Fringe seasons I missed.

I didn't see anything upon scrubbing back and forth.

They also had somebody watching an episode of the X-files on tv later in the episode, probably just to calm down all the nutso theories people would float otherwise. But then later Walter said he was friends with Dr. Jacobi from Twin Peaks so whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RIP weird falling Mulder face. I hope they just forget everything post-2000.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darin Morgan is a genius. His final episodes push past being interesting meditations on the themes of the show and become genuinely interesting meditations on the nature of existence.

They will teach Jose Chung in schools one day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love that they tried so hard to make Krychek a nemesis for Mulder, but Skinner's perfect white-hot hatred for him constantly hijacks that narrative for endless beatings and delicious burns whenever they're on screen together.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Somebody please remind me: was it The X-Files or Fringe where the monster of the week was once the ghost of a vengeful elephant?

It was just a regular invisible elephant who did not intend any specific harm, as far as I recall.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think that either Robert Patrick or the new lady has a thing where the devil is a recurring antagonist for them. Or I'm thinking of Cary Elweys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have friends that still use "cowboy up" out of awe for that mess. We saw it on the first airing.

• Locked thread