Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The UFO poo poo was all tied up in nwo conspiracy theory, which did touch on aliens and ufos. There's a famous crazy book called Behold A Pale Horse that was probably a major inspiration for the conspiracy episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question. I know is generally accepted now that the monster of the week episodes were the highlight of the show, but that when it was running, people cared about and wanted to get to the next episode that "mattered" in the context of the mythology arc. My question is, how did people know when an episode was going to be a mythology episode? Was it in advertisements? Was it shared on primitive Internet message boards or Usenet groups? Did people know in advance, "Oh, this is a stand alone episode; I can miss it and not miss anything" and, if so, how?

The previews for the following week usually made it clear, but sometimes it was a genuine surprise. There were also episode summaries published in tv guide and the weekly schedules that came with the Sunday newspaper. But generally you just had to tune in every week like a caveman without streaming or dvr.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I actually wonder if Chris Carter was just a paranoid believer in all the post-Watergate conspiracy culture, or a reactionary energized by Waco/Ruby Ridge and he really had no idea that he was tapping into anything larger than his own weird interests. He seems more like an old hippie to me, but right-wing conspiracy theories were huge in the early 90s in ways that crossed back over ufo poo poo in weird ways. A lot of ufo people thought prayer and conservative christianity could fight the aliens, and that the government was enacting the new world order/UN takeover as part of some deal with satan or the antichrist. Arguably there was a stronger paranoid far right wing then than there is today.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one is weird because it confirms that reincarnation exists in X-Files world and that the smoking man is doomed to reincarnate again and again somewhere around Mulder’s eternal soul, and nobody really reacts at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Gillian Anderson is done with the show after this season, officially. So as far as I'm concerned, The X-Files is dead.

It lived too long in the first place and then came back from the dead twice. That’s a pretty good run.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They should stick it back into the Friday-night death slot it inadvertently gave birth to all those years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing I always wonder about episodes that end with everything being a dream is what about the scenes Scully wasn’t there for? Shows that do the trope carefully find a way around that, but this episode was super lazy about it.

I miss Joel McHale.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Woof. That was awful. The only good part was the great tie they put smoking man in with Reagan in the opening. I guess Skinner got back with his ex, though, or they didn’t bother to have the actor take his ring off?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The biggest lol for me was the dumpy conspiracy guy (or smoking man, I don’t remember) name-checking the fourth turning and Strauss and Howe, signifiers of self-satisfied middlebrow overconfidence everywhere. Carter must think he’s so smart.

Old-man shove fight was pretty good too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only the last episode never happened, but apparently everything about the smoking man happened, except he still has his nose and doesn’t wear a phantom of the opera mask.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Boot posted:

D) Mr. Peterman

Sorry, friend, retroactively turning En Ami into even more of a "date??? rape" episode is not good television. It's edgelord nonsense.

Yeah, say what you will about the actress/character, the about-face makes all of zero sense.

The whole episode had a smell of desperation about it, like they were scrambling for anything to connect the lunatic poo poo in this episode to the old show. “Hey, remember one episode of our show from 20 years ago that we only made because we thought it would be fun to have an actor write a one-off character episode? It’s now central to our narrative.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ignis posted:

I do wonder what was Davis' original intention for that scene. Carter told EW the date rape was planned since S7, but I'd like to think that was Carter's idea shoehorned into the ep or something.

Then again one of the original draft's scenes for En Ami had CSM teaching Scully how to water-ski, so idek

Carter didn’t even know what would happen in this episode while they filmed the last one. His whole career is painting himself into corners and then spinning ways of getting out. I guess everyone forgot that Scully has already been impregnated with magic alien science children in a twist that reveals it was the government instead of aliens and that smoking man has already been dramatically revealed to unexpectedly be a main character’s father. It’s like the show has Alzheimer’s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I didn't even realize the new season was starting this week until the night it was on, so was really stoked about it and enjoyed the episode. I even enjoyed CSM's expository monologues. Without that wordy backstory we just have a bunch of people who don't like each other running around in circles.

Always fascinated by the (alien induced?) internet phenomenon in which "fans" of a show post online about how much they don't like the show they are fans of.

If it’s like last season we’ll never know in advance what episodes are great and which ones will be terrible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So are they going to serialize the stand-alones like the early seasons of Fringe? There was no reason to make the corporation head the lady from last week other than to create continuity across episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think a lot of the mytharc episodes have good character moments. I think they’re how Skinner became such a good character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

J33uk posted:

This felt a lot more like what the revival should be, spooky weird poo poo is going on and Mulder and Scully are together for the most part. They're still an awkward mess but that doesn't seem surprising given everything that's gone down. Plus they avoided over-explaining what was going on, a few these revival episodes have felt the need to spell everything out so clearly and it's nice to have a little more ambiguity.

Edit: They do need to take it easy on altering "The Truth Is Out There" in the title sequence though. In the original run it was a big loving deal when it changed to sort of pseudo-philosophical crap, if you do it every week it loses the punch. That said I did title a presentation at work last week "Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate" so I'm part of the problem.

Wasn’t that one the most gratuitous instance, used in a weak-rear end immigrant-fear plot, with a really tenuous link to anything that happens in the episode?

You should have used the Navajo one, imo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly all she’d have to say is that just because it was ghosts like eight other times, it’s still relatively unlikely that it would turn out to be ghosts this time. That seems more like a classic Scully position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The credits call the one waitress in this episode “attractive waitress.” What’s going on there?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".

She's in the cafe scene with the lawyer guy. He hits on her, and she rejects him. (It's just before he sees his double through the window.)

There's nothing inherently creepy about it, if that's what you're suggesting, unless you're gesturing at sexism in general.

I’ve never noticed an adjective that wasn’t distinguishing one similar character from another (like if there’s more than one man with a speaking part in the same location or multiple old men in conspiracy scenes) and there was just the one waitress. I wasn’t aware it was an industry practice to give characters like that a descriptive name. Everyone else was just boring poo poo like “nurse” or “clerk” or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if that one guy was named First Elder because they couldn’t find a distinctive trait of his that they could name in a flattering or neutral way (old but not the oldest man, neck-waddle man, fat man, cheap haircut man, wheezy-voiced man).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ignis posted:

I can't believe Darin got away with that poster :allears:

That's a real poster. That slogan was on tons of buttons and placards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy on the Witness protection screen looked familiar. Anyone know if he's from the series before?

He was also the mafia guy in the picture with the doctor in the documentary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What documentary? In episode? I was watching it and playing vidja games

The youtube documentary about Dr. They that Reggie plays on his phone. There’s a photo portrait shown for a split-second of They with a mafia guy. The photo of him with his research team also has an awkward guy in the back wearing a plastic poncho or something with the hood up, almost totally obscured by others, which I figured would have some kind of payoff but didn’t.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

Oh poo poo. I wonder who the ghost post is this time.

It’s you! (Gestures toward mirror)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that Marvin Candle from Lost in the William episode?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Dr. Marvin Candle from Lost the pickup artist author in the William episode? That was some excellent casting and I hope the real one shows up later, and that he is also the rogue scientist guy they mentioned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Cloke, who’s married to Glen Morgan,

I just now figured out why she was on X-Files, Millennium, and Space Above and Beyond.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xfiles has been doing that since before there were cell phones. I swear there was an episode where a guy killed a bunch of people because his pager was displaying a message telling him to kill people instead of a phone number.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The X-Files is no stranger to gimmick episodes, I'm not sure how this one strains disbelief more than others. There's always been a subset of episodes that are even further removed from MOTW to the point where you could question their inclusion in canon. The fun has always been to see the character reactions to these situations.

Unless you want to say Reggie really was in all those important scenes over the years.

They’ve just walked into poo poo plenty of times, like that time loop episode where they barely did anything, or the time they met the genie. Or the one where Scully was sad that her professor she had an affair with died and she enjoyed Enya and Moby tracks for a while.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They made a neural net and fed it Darin Morgan episodes and this is what came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A nice entry in the xfiles tradition of our heroes having literally no effect on events and just watching magic poo poo play out.

• Locked thread