Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Octy posted:

'Medusa' is a good episode. It reminds me of early episodes like 'Ice'.

Also, do Assistant Directors of the FBI normally go out in the field investigating cases? I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that Skinner must be doing no administrative work at all, rather he's spending all his time investigating cases which aren't even assigned to him. He'll never get to be Director like this.

I am pretty sure that dream was gone once he started to activly help Mulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

haveblue posted:

They did the same scene in season 6 (Dreamland) and it's even funnier there.

Is that the one in which he goes to Mulder's apartment and he gets disgusted at Mulder's life? That he has no bed and all his friends are giant nerds?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Octy posted:

Krycek!, no!

At least Adam Baldwin is still around.

How many times have that been said on the show?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Octy posted:

He truly is gone this time. Well, until he comes back as a ghost.

I'm going away with a friend next week and in between the beach and drinking I want to introduce her to the show. She has in fact watched one episode with another friend which I've managed to identify as 'Lazarus'. She found it predictable and not that enjoyable, which is about my memory of it too. I was thinking of lining up three episodes. One of them is definitely going to be 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space' and the second probably 'The Host' for a nice gross out episode, but I don't know about a third. I'd like to limit it to either the first three seasons or seasons 2 to 4, just so I'm not lugging around a bunch of DVD cases. Despite rewatching the show over the last two months my memory is terrible for which are good episodes.

You should also watch the sequel to Jose Chung's From Outer Space. Its a great Millennium episode that is a parody of Scientology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on what you're looking for in an entry point. If you plan on skipping the aliens storyline than you can skip it along with five or six other episodes in season 1. I think the reason why its not essential for most people is because the really solid chemistry between Mulder and Scully doesn't develop until at least mid-season, or even season 2.

The best thing that ever happened to the show was Gillian Anderson getting pregnant.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh Psi-Factor, the bargain-bin (even moreso) Canadian X-Files. Dan Akroyd will still claim that the OSIR is a real organization that submitted material for the show. I honestly can't tell if he really believes that or not.

He does. He is a huge believer in Aliens and UFOS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Counterpoint: Season 9 had Sunshine Days, which I dug on a variety of levels. The 'monster' is sympathetic, Our Heroes search for respect/proof of weird poo poo turns out to be detrimental, etc.

Its Ben from lost and written and directed by Vince Gilligan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I decided to rewatch the series, and I always wondered why they never mentioned ice again. It seemed like the monster in that is like the black oil, but they never mention a connection. So far season one has had some great episodes and some godawful ones. Its also amazing how much chemistry Mulder and Scully had, and is a bright spot in some terrible ones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Old Boot posted:

The parasite in Ice only makes you violent. The main thing I would've expected them to bring up again in relation to it is the fact that a) the parasites that have that kind of destructive quality are clearly not meant for the host they're inhabiting (re: the parasite, though able to reproduce (somehow) brings on the death of both it and its host, which is a dead end), which means that b) they were meant to infect something not-terrestrial, and that it specializes in something extraterrestrial, or - of you're listening to anyone other than Mulder - something long-extinct.

The black oil, by contrast, is perfectly engineered to infect humans, does not reproduce (it jumps from person to person instead, and is only a parasite in the sense that it's hitching rides and changing higher-level cognitive behaviours. It can survive on its own, and doesn't depend on the host for (whatever), other than having a walky-talky skin car to test-drive for a little while. Granted, the Ice worms didn't seem to depend entirely on a host, either, but since they seemed to have been working off of theories regarding toxoplasma gondii, I'd imagine that, if the idea was thoroughly explored, the worms were only reproducing asexually, and were missing a crucial second host (or definitive host, if you want to be technical) that enabled sexual reproduction, and for the life cycle to start over again.

EDIT: That said, the black oil does become more of a legit biological parasite during the movie, in that it uses a host's body to allow its "progeny" to gestate. But it's not a failed parasite like the Ice worm was (encounter/compatibility filters are too remote).

The similarities are there, but not enough to make it a talking point, and I'd imagine that spending that kind of time debating the differences between it and a legit parasite would've made a lot of peoples' eyes glaze over.

I'll, uh... :spergin: see myself out now.

I was thinking just a line about how they both come from ice and they have seen something similar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kingturnip posted:

Millennium is, if nothing else, a weird show to box-set through.
The tonal shift between Seasons 2 & 3 is hilarious out of context, although I didn't find a huge difference in quality between the two.

The best thing to do is just watch the first two seasons and think of the season two finale as the series finale.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

The best episode of Millenium is the one with the four devils telling stories to each other about how they like to gently caress with humans. I think that episode has a short cameo with Mulder and Scully too.

Its just their stunt doubles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed, a short season would be fantastic. Didn't Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan work on some of the better X-Files episodes? Thinking about what he could do with the franchise today after his success with BB gets my mind whirling. And now that Amazon has declined to pick up Chris Carter's latest project The After, maybe now is a good time for him to get on the ball.

Yes. I am doing a rewatch and shocked how many classic episodes he wrote. Look at some of these classics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Gilligan#Television

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Even if Better Call Saul was a huge flop, I doubt Gilligan would be back. The mytharc is Carter's baby, while Gilligan was more of a monster of the week guy (which you can tell by their post Xfiles careers). Not to mention that it would be hugely awkward to get Gilligan, who is far more successful and talented, to play second fiddle on someone else's show. Same for Morgan and Wong.

It depends. They could just have a soft spot for the show and want to do it. I mean Morgan and Wong still love Millennium

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What episode are they up too? If they have not done it yet having William B. Davis would be a good guest for Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

apophenium posted:

This week's episode talked about 'Pusher' (which was awesome) and 'Tesos Dos Bichos' (which was not). It's been really fun watching along with the podcast.

I am going to have to start listening. I am rewatching and at the movie right now, however I am taking a little break and watching Millennium. I have to finish the series before I get to the lovely rap up in Season 7.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-files might be off Netflix on April 1st.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wish Millenium and The Lone Gunmen were on Netflix. :smith:

Season 3 of Millennium - still awful after the awesome second.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

You begin to understand him a little bit at least as time goes on and you learn more about Scully and her family dynamic. They're a very religious family after all, and here Scully is potentially ruining her career chasing stuff that doesn't(in her brothers worldview) exist. Then she ends up in the hospital with terminal cancer and Mulder won't let up about aliens and implants and all kinds of bullshit that has nothing to do with the fact that his sister is loving dying.

Most of them also view her throwing away her career by staying with Mulder, and due to it their sister was murdered, she disappeared for a bit, and then got cancer

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

The myth arc is fine until all the Super Soldier bullshit starts and then it's just mind-boggling and inane.

It really should have ended in season 6 when the rebel aliens killed off the syndicate. It should have just gone with them facing CSM and his desire to gain power and get it back on track.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like there was still an opportunity there with Krycek starting up his own little mini-Syndicate with the Lori Holden character. They were working with/for Smoking Man and the myth-arc could have just continued from there. So I think the real point of no return was when Krycek pushed CSM down the stairs, then at the end of that season Krycek himself is killed. After that the myth-arc had nowhere to go and was just flailing around until the finale.

I think you mean with the Mimi Rogers character. The Lori Holden at that point was experimented on and was with Spender, and seemed to be on Mulder's side.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 11, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The Mimi Rogers character was in on it too, but Lori Holden was saved by CSM weasel-like instincts when the rest of the Syndicate was killed. I'm pretty sure she's working with CSM and is the one who brings Krycek into the fold on his orders. I think its after CSM gets pushed down the stairs that she starts working with Mulder.

It was the episode that she returns she and Krycek toss CSM down the stairs.

I think this conversation itself shows how big of a clusterfuck the mytharc was by the end. The only thing we knew was CSM was bad and Krycek was going to betray someone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think its because season 8 was basically written as the final season, then at the last minute they agreed to do one more. So the death of Krycek was intended to be part of a satisfying series finale.

Well Adam Baldwin was introduced in a couple of season 8 episodes. I think it was also the episode Krycek died in was Mulder's last and he was so tied in with him. They seemed to want to make Adam Baldwin into Doggett's Krycek.

I also agree that the show needed more Well-Manicured Man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Whatever happened to that fat guy with the Edward-James-Olmos-with-asthma-who-just-walked-up-a-hill voice?

I assume the faceless aliens got him

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea they were all told that the time for the invasion was here and to bring their families so that they could be led to some sort of safe VIP area. It turned out they had been fooled into showing up there by the rebels and they were all killed en masse.

Yeah they had created the alien/human hybrid and were told to bring it to the hanger where they gave up their families. However, they were betrayed as a faceless alien had infiltrated them and they were all killed. CSM and Mimi Rogers got there and realized something was wrong so they got the gently caress out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bob Ojeda posted:

Quotin' this

Also, I hope they don't make it mythology-centric. You would hope enough time has passed that everyone kind of has to realize that the mythology was a mess, and also that a ton of the potential pool of viewers just wouldn't be familiar with it.

But then again who knows. Maybe they still think that closure is something that's even possible to achieve.

I assume it will be myth arc related since the last thing they released was all mow and it was not well received. I think Chris Carter had said if they do another movie it will be myth arc related.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

They shoudl just quietly add Mulder and Scully to the new Twin Peaks season.

Scully discovers that Mulder likes to wear dresses.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

inignot posted:

Yeah, the move to LA had to have entailed replacing a substantial amount of the Vancouver based crew. I think some other people were drained off to Millennium around the same time.

The last season of the show aired during the first season they were in LA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

inignot posted:

I think Morgan and Wong got moved from the X-Files to Millennium during X-Files season 4.

It was 5 as Chris Carter was busy with the X-files movie so unable to focus on all three projects.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

qbert posted:

Really? I've been reading up on each ep on Wikipedia as I go through them and I read that the ep in S2 with the Satanists was their last before leaving to do Space: Above and Beyond and that's why there were so many in-jokes in the ep and the "It was nice working with you" message at the end.

They returned in season 4 with Home

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Probably. I'd say in general the X-Files is good right up until the Syndicate gets killed. After that the mytharc goes wayyyy off the rails and starts sucking. The standalones continue to be pretty good, though.

Yep I am on season 6 right now and taking a break as watching Millennium. As for the stand alones Arcadia is still great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veeta posted:

I think it's interesting how Scully started off as the character the audience were to associate with most (the pilot and lots of early-mid season 1 episodes start with her doing something, and focus more on her personal life) but by the time you get to season 2 it's flipped over the Mulder. Sadly the abundance of synth music dried up by the end of the first season. I quite like this track, which I last remember hearing in Fallen Angel (and many, many times in the show's second episode).

That is slightly due to her getting pregnant and having to take time off and being unable to do a lot of the stuff she normally would do.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I've always wondered how different the whole mythology could have ended up had she not been pregnant during that time. Its during that break where she initially gets abducted and is implanted with the alien device, leading to pretty much everything that would come later. Maybe that was always the basic plan, it was just accelerated because of the pregnancy.

Lets not forget that it was due to her pregnancy Krycek was introduced.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Most importantly, will Jack Black reprise his role.

As what a fried corpse?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

This is such amazing news and I can't wait. Now if only Chris Carter could do the same with Millennium...

When Chris Carter touched Millennium again it turned to poo poo. Then they tried to end it with an x-files episode that was complete horseshit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Awww, it has been so long since I've seen Millennium I forgot about that. I'm rewatching season 1 now and I still love the atmosphere and Frank Black.

I wonder if Krycek's ghost will show up in the new X-Files episodes.

Season 2 is still the best season and the finale of that season was amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Octy posted:

Plus you miss out on Jerry Hardin if you skip season 1 (barring certain reapperances later on).

You also miss beyond the sea.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Fire. That one is awful in the best way possible. Those two were supposed to have this like amazing ex-lover chemistry but it was wooden as gently caress.

Like most people with Mulder other than Scully. Season one also had the gender changing alien amish.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Do we ever hear about Mulder's British ex-girlfriend, his fear of fire, or that awesome arson expert guy ("demon poetry") again after that episode?

Nope

Remember Scully's teacher she was banging and he died, but his body was taken over by the criminal that died at the same time?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 30, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veeta posted:

Remember the teleporting Amish aliens, and how one of them tried to rape Scully?

That episode was the low point of season 1 for me, the only one that I could say I actively disliked.

You forgot the fact that they could change gender! It also had Krycek appear in it.

Look at this amazing line up
Fire, Beyond the Sea, Gender Bender - what a quality whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Speaking of weird Season 1 episodes, do people like Roland, or is that one of the ones we don't talk about?

As with most things he is in Željko Ivanek was awesome, but other than that episode was pretty bad, if I remember correctly.

• Locked thread