Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm surprised people in this thread aren't going "Ugh, he said GMO... 2016 much????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the Millennium episode Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me tonight, to get pumped up for more Darin Morgan tomorrow... that episode is so good, but really, the visual gag of Uzi-toting Greys storming in on an alien autopsy is an idea hilarious enough that I want to see a whole episode about it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Depending on how you interpret them, Jose Chung and War of the Coprophages might not have any paranormal stuff.

Again depending, the episode with the lake monster, since A) the lake monster is only seen in the last few seconds, and B) all the stuff in the episode was really just being done by a hoaxer and/or alligator and had nothing to do with the monster.

Darkness Falls was just prehistoric fireflies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The peeping tom was chugging rubbing alcohol right?

That actor was also the hypnotist from Jose Chung's From Outer Space, one of the fortune tellers from Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, and one of the demons from Somehow Satan Got Behind Me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

"I felt the need to get a job. On the second day of my job, I realized I hated my job and wanted to quit. Then I remembered that I needed my job so I could have a mortgage."

KILL ME MULDER

Such a great episode.

This reminded me a lot about the Somehow Satan Got Behind Me episode of Millennium where the demon talks about how just letting people do their mundane lives is enough to make them drat themselves.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

evenworse username posted:

His deal was supposed to be that he was unwilling to endanger himself and his own position to help Mulder, so that required doing stuff for the Syndicate at times. I didn't feel like it was ever properly articulated why he wanted to help Mulder at all, though.

Wasn't Marita also working for the Syndicate the entire time?

I also remember that she was originally the aide to the Special Representative to the Secretary General but then later episodes forgot that and had her be the SRSG herself.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

2) How the hell did they get back from Antarctica? Everything was evacuated, Mulder ran out of gas, and the ship was gone.

Doesn't Reyes ask Mulder this when they meet in season 8? I definitely remember someone bringing it up in one of those later seasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

Has Nicholas Lea been in anything lately? I miss him, he was in Arrow last I seen him.

He had a recurring role in the second season of Continuum. Never interacted with William B. Davies, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

The second movie is fine. It came along at a time when everyone had moved on from the X Files and was pretty much literally a double length standard MOTW episode, so it was a bit underwhelming. But as a lost episode? It's pretty good.

That's the problem with the second movie, I feel like the basic concept could have been boiled down to a decent episode, but ended up stretching a good episode to three times its length.

The first movie too I thought was good enough on its own but could have made a killer two-part episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

And then there's a bunch that are just "let's get the hell out of here and then have the military firebomb it", like Ice or Darkness Falls.

Both of these are still among my favorites of the entire series. In particular, for some reason when I saw Darkness Falls when it first aired it really stuck with me, and it's always been an episode that's stayed with me since.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, my favorite one of those were people theorizing during season 1 that Scully was Mulder's sister, or that CSM was an alien.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the first four episodes of this season (yes, even the opener). This was just completely incoherent, a blender of unconnected storylines and (along with the Babylon episodes) very uncomfortable conservative paranoia taken as fact. And the ending was such a middle finger I have to wonder if Carter made this miniseries with the knowledge that Fox already approved a second miniseries.

I did like that the episode took five minutes to poo poo on Reyes. I laughed that Scully didn't even recognize her on the phone despite working with her for two years and her being the person who delivered BABY WILLIAM. No wonder Robert Patrick turned down an appearance, if Doggett was going to have been with Reyes.

Automatic Slim posted:

Didn't that character get killed off between the 2nd & 3rd season?

I remember the 2nd season of millennium being really good television. The 3rd season was dogshit. IIRC Carter took charge of the 3rd season to save the show from flagging ratings. Didn't work.

This episode actually reminded me of a much-worse remake of the Millennium S2 finale.

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's no obstacle. Nicholas Lea played a MOTW in season 1 before he was cast as Krychek.

When the guy sent by CSM broke into Mulder's apartment, for a split second I thought it was Krycek. Then when Agent Miller appeared over Mulder with the handkerchief over half his face, I again thought it was Krycek. At least he got a photo of him in the opening scene.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So why did CSM choose Reyes? Just because they both smoked?

Also, what was the deal with the alien graffiti that Tad O'Malley talked about being spray painted in neighborhoods being targeted? Is that actually a piece of InfoWars type paranoia in the real world? It was one of the few things I didn't recognize as "actually" existing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

The first Black Oil two parter was pretty good.

The Ansazi three-parter is a huge highlight for me, too. The Siberian gulag episodes are pretty good, too. And really any of the alien stuff from the first two seasons, before it really begins to get tied together into an established mythology.

Though rewatching the series the last few months, I forgot how (relatively) late into the mytharc the black oil was, for some reason I thought it got introduced way earlier.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

So what happened in like Buenos Aires or Mumbai? Is Scully the only one who can make the cure or did she figure out how to make it on its own and send a bunch of faxes?

Or will good aliens save us like they wanted to in the 40s?

I hope the next season begins with aliens saving the world and then we get a Grey alien who joins the FBI and is Mulder and Scully's new partner.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Krenzo posted:

I think she left him for Q.

Haha, I had no idea Skinner's wife was Vash. Kind of funny given that the woman he sleeps with in the beginning of the episode is Amanda Tapping from Stargate.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rewatching a lot of the mytharc stuff over the last few months, I realized that Duane Barry/Ascension is really the last time there's an alien episode that covers the "typical" alien abduction mythology (missing time, repeat abductions, implants, drills, medical tests, etc.) before the show starts to make up its own stuff. I think in The X-Files Files, Darrin Morgan even talked about how the pilot, this two-parter, and Jose Chung are the only episodes that really follow the "standard" abduction tropes.

I also think Duane Barry is the episode that first shows the typical X-Files UFO interior (red criss-cross table thing) that constantly keeps coming up, too (it's in Jose Chung, the Mulder abduction episodes, at least a few others).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm fine with her being named Einstein, her claiming that she was related to Einstein is what made me really roll my eyes.

Unlike most people in this thread, I actually liked her character, but it did feel like she walked in off the set of Warehouse 13 or Fringe or one of those other 2000s X-Files successor shows.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ansazi and Paperclip were every bit as great as I remembered.

"No! You listen to me you son of a bitch!" :allears:

Also, D.P.O., holy poo poo it's Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black!

The funniest thing about DPO is that it's Giovanni Ribisi who's bullying Jack Black.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I'm going through the later seasons and I only realize now that I underappreciated Doggett, because like most people at the time I resented him for the crime of Not Being Mulder. I always kind of liked him anyway, but I never realized what he contributed until a rewatch. His sense of duty is great, and he's extremely good at his job. He brings a fresh perspective as an experienced former NYC cop, and stuff like him going through the entire X-Files cabinet as soon as he gets assigned are really nice touches to his characterization. Really what's missing from the show without Mulder is levity; the show gets super serious for a while as Doggett isn't exactly one for witty one-liners and banter, in the same way that the very early seasons were before the show first found its groove. Still, I like him a lot better now than I remembered.

I always liked the Doggett character mainly because Robert Patrick is a really great, committed actor, but I think the problem was a mix of like you said Not Being Mulder and the bleaker tone, but also his arrival corresponded and was tied in with stuff like the really terrible super soldier storyline that was kind of his version of Samantha. I actually wished they had gone further with Scully being the fully committed conspiracy theorist now to offset him better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For those who don't read the front page:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/xfiles-screaming-mulder/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seems like there's going to be a season 11, but probably not until 2018:

http://tvline.com/2016/05/16/the-x-files-season-11-fox-premiere-date-more-episodes/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alex Trebek was just talking about his appearance on Jose Chung with one of the contestants on Jeopardy tonight who said her favorite show was The X-Files. I was glad that he has good memories of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kraps posted:

Alright, episode 7 is way better than 6, but does the show ever speed up?

8th episode is Ice, which if that doesn't do it for you in terms of enjoying the show, I don't know what will.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Felicity Huffman, too.

Lot of good names in that episode for something with only like 6 substantive characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to mention, Devan Faraci is unlikely to keep being his guest for the mytharc episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't Fox still trying to do another season of X-Files? I can only hope that Chris Carter's influence is somehow reduced. Even if it's just not letting him write any episode on his own.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I rewatched Jose Chung over the weekend... still a contender for my favorite episode of any show, ever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The garbage man episode was a rock solid MOTW.

Only problem I had with this episode was that they dealt with a tulpa before in... 7th season? The one where they go undercover as a married couple in the yuppie neighborhood where people who don't take care of their lawns get killed by the homeowner's association leader summoning a tulpa.

Really, I thought that Home Again and Founder's Mutation were very solid MOTW episodes with the only faults being that they both had too many shoehorned in Baby William references. My Struggle I was kind of ridiculous but as a return to the X-Files I was more than willing to role with the ridiculous melodrama of it, and the attempt to change the status quo of the Mytharc didn't bother me, it wasn't like the show hadn't tried to do that before. And the Were-Monster episode was a Darin Morgan episode with Rhys Darby and Kumail in it, so already at the top of the entire show.

Babylon was not just bad but offensive in a way that I'm honestly not sure any other episode of the show has been. At least it had the shroom sequence so I can at least rewatch that as a YouTube clip separate from the rest of the episode in the future.

If Babylon was more offensive than any of the original run episodes, My Struggle II was bad in a way that none of the original run episodes were,. Assuming that is actually the last ever X-Files episode it will go down with the finale of Dexter for absolute garbage ends.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Actually, Fox said at the TCA today that they hope to announce something soon, and later clarified that the intention is to do a longer run than six episodes but less than a full 22-episode season.

I know a few months ago at least, the rumor was that they wanted to do a 10 episode season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

At this point it's all so hosed up that I'd rather have a total reboot. Go back to young FBI agents investigating weird poo poo in small towns including the occasional supposed alien abduction. Ditch ALL of the bullshit mythology and build a new, different thing from scratch (but still about aliens)

Fun twist: Scully is Spooky (and had a younger brother named Sam who disappeared), Mulder is the religious but skeptical medical doctor.

Even though I would be onboard with a full-on reboot, I think the problem with doing something with this is that, like alluded to above and I think earlier in this thread, is that X-Files has inspired/been copied by so many shows since (Fringe, Warehouse 13, Supernatural, Buffy, even modern Doctor Who, etc.) that if you take out the connectivity of the show to its past and its history, it would be hard to differentiate itself to the wider viewing public. (And of course something with really high quality would stick out... but that's probably not a big likelihood.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

While I'd love another Darin Morgan episode and for Vince Gilligan to be able to do one, I really hope they just bring in some new people too. There are plenty of really talented people who got into TV since 2002 who I'm sure would love to just do an X-Files MOTW.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The US government is currently embroiled in a massive internal shadow war between aliens and humans. The FBI is neutral

I mean, this actually was a big thing in 1980s alien conspiracy theories, with the Dulce Base and Reagan's treaty with the Greys. I'm sure Chris Carter knew about that stream of thought.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

At first I was sad that Robert Patrick wasn't able to come back for season 10 but thank god he didn't for that travesty.

I kind of wonder if originally it was supposed to be Doggett in the last episode of season 10 but Patrick didn't want Doggett to join the conspiracy, and so they switched him out with Reyes.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I basically think almost ANYONE except Chris Carter could pull off a reboot.

I feel like a problem with rebooting X-Files, especially if it was something like a TNG-style continuation of the show with all new characters and all new writers, is that there are enough shows since the 1990s that have been inspired by X-Files, or inspired in turn by those shows, that it might be difficult to see it as recognizably X-Files rather than the latest Fringe or whatever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven't seen the fifth episode of the new season yet, but I thought it was funny that in the original Duchovny's character was in the DEA, but in the new show he's moved over to the FBI.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Season 11 writers list is out: http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-x-files-writers-season-11/

Darin and Glen Morgan, James Wong, and Carter (sigh) are back, along with Gabe Rotter (season 9 writers' assistant), Benjamin Van Allen (season 10 writers' assistant), and Brad Follmer (Chris Carter's assistant, who apparently was who Cary Elwes' character was named after?).

The Morgans and Wong are good, but honestly not super thrilled with the rest. Seems like a lot of Carter's personal circle, which is not a good sign.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

Turns out it was just Venus.

I really hope they bring back that guy's subterranean reincarnation sex cult.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read that Annabeth Gish is back for the new season, too. Hopefully something better than her role last season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What percent of the runtime will be scully crying

Well, Baby William is supposed to be the central plotline of the season, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BrandonGK posted:

There were countless scenes of the consortium members discussing the aliens and colonization amongst themselves with no reason to lie. What? Were they all being punked by an even more powerful secret society of global elites?

Bring on the Lizard People as the new, real, mean-it-this-time villains!

• Locked thread