Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Vogon Poet posted:

Probably the first time I've seen someone call "Space" and "Ghost in the Machine" "great episodes." :raise: Really, although some late season episodes were worse, I'd probably call "Space" the dullest of the show's entire run.

I think "Space" was crippled by lack of budget, a rare phenomenon for the show. They had to rely on stock footage and reaction shots way too much, and the episode comes across as too static overall. That space-ghost-face thing freaked me the hell out when I first saw it, though.

Season 1 is really uneven overall, but it has a lot of great episodes, including "Beyond the Sea" which might be my favorite of the show's entire run.

e: Season 1 might have the highest incidence rate of 'cool stuff that is never mentioned ever again,' and that's a high bar for this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"3" is especially bizarre because it was sandwiched in between two really heavy, emotionally charged plot episodes. It was like Mulder took a one-week break from reality to guest star on True Blood. I can't remember if it ever gets brought up again, but probably not.

"Hey Mulder, you didn't bang a vampire chick while I was being abducted, did you?"

"Uh, I have no idea what you're talking about."

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Oh man, I just remembered Soft Light, the episode with Tony Shalhoub playing the scientist whose shadow can disintegrate people. That is a phenomenal episode.

I wonder how many times, over the course of the whole show, M&S team up with a third agent who ends up being horribly killed. It has to be in the double digits at least, right?

e: VVV don't forget the guy who kills Jack Black in that episode, Giovanni Ribisi. Plus that other episode with Lucy Liu.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 25, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

gushing posted:

It's also upsetting that the only other thing that I can think of Brian Thompson having a prominent role in is Joe Dirt. :smith:

You're forgetting Thompson's legendary performance in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cristatus posted:

Come to think of it, is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the minor characters from the X-Files? Now I'm curious.

You could just go to the complete series cast list on IMDB and scroll to the bottom.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

david_a posted:

Ha... I dug up the thread because I just watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man. Awesome episode.

Why does everyone call him "Cigarette Smoking Man" anyway? Mulder always calls him Cancer Man which is way cooler. :colbert:

Maybe I'm dense, but why did he start smoking in the first place? Is it just a way of showing that he has zero optimism for the future?

My understanding that that he's simply credited as 'Cigarette Smoking Man' because that's the title the show creators gave him (i.e. that's his 'name' in the actual show credits). I like to think of it as the fanciful title he gives himself, whereas Mulder cuts straight through the bullshit and calls him 'Cancer Man.'

As for why he started smoking, why does anyone start smoking?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Do people really not like the Pilot episode? I never see it recommended as an entry point to the show.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I think the idea for the second movie was to ease back into the setting and set the stage for a third movie that would get back to the conspiracy plotline, maybe address some of the complaints fans had about the ending of the series. Of course, the second movie bombed so we're never actually getting a third.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

bull3964 posted:

I really want to listen to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast and I want to couple it with a rewatch of the series. I really don't want to rewatch it again though until I can do so in HD.

Haha, this is precisely where I'm at. I don't think we know for sure that they've finished the remastering of the entire series, do we? It must be a ton of work to remaster 200+ episodes.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
“It’s been reported, and it’s true, that we’ve had some conversations about [reviving] X-Files,” ideally with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, [Fox Television Group chairman Gary] Newman shared. “But I have nothing that we can announce at this time.”

TV News posted:

In a recent interview, the subject of another season of The X-Files was raised with Gillian Anderson, who played Special Agent Dana Scully in the hit TV series.

Anderson, who stuck with the series right through until the end, said that she's more than up for reprising her role and bringing the series back.

The actress, who's just wrapped on the second season of The Fall, said that she'd be "loving overjoyed" if it happened, urging fans of the show to tweet @foxTV.

There's even a hashtag - #XFiles2015 - that's trended for the past few days.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
All X-Files really needs is a truncated 'tenth season' to get the mythology back in respectable shape. Something like the upcoming Twin Peaks season (nine episodes) would work fine.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of Season 7, I can't wait until X-Files Files gets to First Person Shooter :allears:

I actually don't mind Season 7 overall. Their basic attitude seemed to be 'well if the show is going to become a grotesque parody of itself, we might as well have some fun with it.'

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Gravitee posted:

I wish she would do a comedy so I could listen to her laugh and swear for two hours, in either accent. :allears:

According to IMDB, she's got you covered.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

X-files might be off Netflix on April 1st.

Update: Apparently Netflix will keep it up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My question is: should a new season of the show try to "fix" the mythology arc and give it a better resolution, addressing the common complaint that the myth arc is unsatisfying because it doesn't really go anywhere? Or should it just kind of ignore series continuity to a degree and do its own thing? (Or should it just be a bunch of monster episodes, because gently caress it)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I want to believe.

e:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 21, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The truth is still out there.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 24, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Now that they're doing something new with the property, they have no excuse not to make the HD remaster of the show available in some way, right?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

They better put him in :colbert:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Casting updates:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's also, you know, straight-up retcons.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Season 1 is very good and watchable as long as you skip some of the clunkers like:

Shadows
Space
Shapes
Born Again

And maybe a few others.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Do we ever hear about Mulder's British ex-girlfriend, his fear of fire, or that awesome arson expert guy ("demon poetry") again after that episode?

It seems like Season 1 actually had the highest 'and now, to never mention this again' factor out of all of them.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of weird Season 1 episodes, do people like Roland, or is that one of the ones we don't talk about? (One actor plays both a genius scientist and his 70 IQ brother!)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ghost in the Machine is bad, yes, but it's also really funny.

"FILE...DELETED." (to be read in the fakest computer voice ever, like seriously it sounds like a guy mumbling into his hand)

(First Person Shooter is the same way)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hannibal Rex posted:

My favorite thing about the black oil is that in its first two appearances, it gets into an atmospheric diving suit and a hazmat suit. Then the alien rebels show up, and they keep it out by stitching their eyes and mouths shut. :doh:

They're really good at stitching.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm not against them just rectonning CSM back to life for the hell of it, but if they didn't want to do that what would be the most 'reasonable' way to incorporate him into the story? Flashback? A recording of his voice?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
CSM faked his own death so that he could retire and focus on his writing career.

I wonder what his pen name would be?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

steinrokkan posted:

I thought the exact same thing, even if you are a mutant who can crawl through pipes, you can still just break into houses the old fashioned way. I guess the justification is that using these non-traditional entry points makes it more difficult to trace him, especially when the transformation distorts his identifying features.

I think Tooms doesn't do things the easy way because he enjoys the hunt. How would you feel if you only got to "live" for a week every 30 years?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Delsaber posted:

If Cancer Man is coming back then I hope they also find a way to revive the Lone Gunmen. I've been rewatching X-Files recently and they show up a lot more often than I remembered.

At this point I say gently caress it, bring everyone back with zero explanation. Pretend this is Season 7 (or whatever) Mark 2 rather than Season 10.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In general, the X-Files was not particularly concerned with continuity, except for the few episodes per season when it was, and even then there wasn't that much continuity.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hair color update:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Rumor has it that one of the upcoming episodes is titled Home Again.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
One episode I would be interested to see them follow up on is Eve. Seems like you could do a lot more with that premise. (Although the same could be said for countless other episodes of the show I guess)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You may want to watch that rewatch event promo video until the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIRNja8pMc

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

CelticPredator posted:

It's all gonna be in HD! :swoon:

If only the technology existed to put HD footage onto discs. Maybe Fox will think of something.

Also, new footage of M&S busting into a dark room unnnnghhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
She's fantastic on The Fall. I'm not worried at all.

• Locked thread