Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I'm not saying everything was perfect or that everyone loved everything in the heyday of the internet, but all of that was before widespread social media so it wasn't OMG CONSTANT AVALANCHE OF INSTABITCHING at the time. So yes, things have changed.

You should really spend some time reading alt.tv.x-files from the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Ah yes, that isolated singularly located community which is my exact point. Glad you agree.

I would call that an "internet environment surrounding fandoms," yes. Or maybe "social media" is so powerful that it went back through space and time and knocked the x files ratings from top 15 to outside top 100. God drat social media! Now that is a hot take.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The three non-Cris Carter episodes would feel right at home with the X Files best seasons. The three Cris Carter episodes are terrible and would feel right at home with the worst of seasons 8 and 9, where everybody stopped watching.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

He posted to a reddit that was about the podcast that he felt weird continuing after working with so many of the people involved in making the show. I think it's over because of the revival, which Kumail was one of the earliest public proponents of, actually. Maybe the earliest.

Yeah.
Not to mention the fact that Kumail publicly criticized the X files episode with the Muslim plot. So it would be pretty awkward to bring back the podcast and somehow not deal with the fact that he was in season 10, that season 10 sucked, and that he personally took issue with one of the episodes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Any depiction of Muslims engaging in terrorism? No.
A depiction where every single Muslim, except one, is a terrorist and has no other defining characteristic other than being a terrorist? Now you are getting close.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To me the problem wasn't even that every single Muslim (save the mother) is a terrorist. You can have interesting stuff to say even with that plot. To me it was terrible because the big take home point was "we shouldn't pre judge people" because the one terrorist redeemed himself by telling Mulder of the plot from the afterlife. So it wasn't even the "all Muslims are terrorist" part that bugged me, but the "we shouldn't prejudge all Muslims, this one here felt regret shortly before he killed dozens of innocent people."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This episode is great evidence of why Carter is alone in the group of main writers from the original run to never ever be given another chance or land another show after the original run ended. He should have to pay a fee to Gilligan, the Morgan brothers, Wong and Howard Gordon every time he gets to make another season of X Files.

Yesterday was like every hack's worst tendencies combined into one: "it was all a dream," long expository scenes and full on tell, don't show, clunky dialog, etc.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, it's no First Person Shooter.

There were a lot of bad X-Files episodes, it's just that nearing 20 years later we now live in an age of Everything I Watch Is The Worst Thing I've Ever Seen™.

There are bad episodes that are just bad episodes. And then there are bad episodes that are so bad that make other episodes retroactively bad. My Struggle III was the latter, first person shooter the former.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Carter didn’t even know what would happen in this episode while they filmed the last one. His whole career is painting himself into corners and then spinning ways of getting out. I guess everyone forgot that Scully has already been impregnated with magic alien science children in a twist that reveals it was the government instead of aliens and that smoking man has already been dramatically revealed to unexpectedly be a main character’s father. It’s like the show has Alzheimer’s.

Carter has two moves, and two moves only:
"You thought the conspiracy was X? Turns out the conspiracy was Y, ha"
"Break up Mulder and Scully, and start the "will they or won't they?" again"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Besides the writers leaving, like Maelstache mentioned, the other thing was that the show was supposed to end and become a movie series after season 7. Every little bit of the mytharc had been wrapped up by then.

But then every Fox drama bombed, including all the Carter related series (harsh realm, lone gunmen, etc), and their only other moderately successful drama, Party of Five, was ending. There's an old interview with either Spotnitz or Duchovny about the season 7 ending and it was about how they filmed two different endings, and didn't know which was going to be shown because they didn't know if Fox was bringing them back 2 weeks before the season finale. So essentially season 8 had never been planned. And then all fox series bombed again and they brought it back once more for season 9. As for why they accepted it, instead of forcing Fox's hand, Gilligan once said in an interview that forcing an end to a series is easier said than done, that close to 200 people work on that series, and ending it essentially means putting 200 people you like and work with out of a job.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I missed the last 2 weeks. Not having a DVR is the worst part of cutting the chord.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

for well known tv shows, commercial free 720p rips are on the internet within 1-3 hours after it aired. not trying to promote bad things, just saying there's no reason to punish yourself for not having a dvr

Am I missing the joke? There were no new episodes the past 2 weeks, tonight is the first new ep since 2/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

So Scully was drugged and almost raped by a weird guy in a cult, and after Mulder saves her, he describes the incident where she lay limply on the bed while this guy was ready to violate her as her being "ready to do the wild thing with this guy," even though it was anything but consensual. Later she for some reason can't find it in her to shoot the same guy when his pseudo-Amish group try and stop her from taking a killer into custody who belonged to their group even though she's an FBI agent and doctor?

Man this show had a rough start.

Original x-files had a ton of bad takes on sex and consent. See also, Small Potatoes, Post Modern Prometheus.

• Locked thread