Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I re-watched the whole series last year for the first time since I watched it as a kid/teenager and it was really cool to come back to. When I was young I thought of Mulder as the primary character and would get annoyed at Scully for holding him back. Now that I'm an adult I identify a lot more with Scully and wish Mulder would stop jumping to conclusions.

One episode I love that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the one with the trailer park vampires where both Mulder and Scully recount differing versions of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I thought it being out of character was the whole point. She's dealing with the cancer and basically goes on a bender.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Welp, that's weird as hell.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched X-Files here and there as a kid and even watched the first movie in theatres. I asked in the Couch thread which season were worth watching, to which I was advised to simply consider certain episodes. That led me to Empire's list of 20 episodes to watch: http://www.empireonline.com/features/greatest-x-files-episodes

Season 1, Episode 1 Pilot
Season 1, Episode 3 Squeeze
Season 1, Episode 8 Ice
Season 1, Episode 13 Beyond the Sea

Season 2, Episode 5 Duane Barry
Season 2, Episode 8 One Breath
Season 2, Episode 14 Die Hand Die Verletzt

Season 3, Episode 2 Paper Clip
Season 3, Episode 4 Clyde Bruckman's Final Response
Season 3, Episode 10 731
Season 3, Episode 12 War of the Cprophages
Season 3, Episode 15 Piper Maru

Season 4, Episode 2 Home
Season 4, Episode 7 Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Season 4, Episode 20 Small Potatoes

Season 5, Episode 5 The Post-Modern Prometheus
Season 5, Episode 12 Bad Blood (Gillian Anderson's favorite ep)

Season 6, Episode 2 Drive
Season 6, Episode 3 Triangle

Season 7, Episode 12 X-Cops

Recommended but not on Empire's list is 3x20, Jose Chung's From Outer Space. Would you guys recommend I revisit the series in this manner?

I recommend watching the whole drat thing but that certainly is an exceptional list of episodes. Post-Modern Prometheus sucks, though. One of the problems with including a number of light-hearted episodes on the list is that they were really few and far between so the contrast to the constant doom and gloom was more striking. Jose Chung's From Outer Space is a glaring omission along with Pusher.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah it's a really awkward episode, because it ends on such a :haw: feel-good moment and then you're like, wait, that dude is a rapist.

This is my primary objection to that episode. The episode is basically lighthearted because it told us it is. The events depicted are really horrifying and you're just supposed to be ok with it because...? It's too bad the production values are so good because the story is a complete miss.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I stopped watching Millenium because there was some EVIL DOGS episode in the second season I just couldn't make it through.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bob Ojeda posted:

I really dislike the way that these big ideas that would have huge implications for the basic concept of the X-Files as a whole (Fox Mulder is the reincarnation of whoever and has this soulmate etc etc etc) are just tossed off in a random MotW episode and then forgotten about. The concept of the episode is just kind of too big and affects too much about the series to work. I also think it puts its thumb on the scale - it doesn't leave enough room for doubt about what's going on.

Also, the episode is just generally dippy. It's too overdramatic to really work on an emotional level for me.

Scully is immortal and they hardly mention that.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's roughly the same amount of screentime that the past lives got and and one of the two leads being immortal would arguably have a greater impact on the series. Ignoring that stuff is pretty common for episodic sci-fi even with the light serialization elements of the X-Files.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Instead of making a sequel to Home they should do it to first person shooter. Holy poo poo is that episode poo poo.

And X-Cops is the episode before it. You'll get whiplash from the change in quality.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

esselfortium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2aGFt5hf0

New promo from tonight.

(But, um, X-Files, you guys already did a "Mulder gets convinced that the X-Files are fake" storyline like 20 years ago...)
WHAT IF THAT GIANT loving SPACESHIP I RESCUED YOU FROM WAS A LIE???

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It has more to do with the hype than the quality of the episode. It was banned from re-airing on fox so it got talked about a lot.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Is this going to be streamed on fox's website or anything tonight?

I want to watch it legally without having to go to my parents' house.

I read something yesterday about a free stream with minimal commercials if you watched a deadpool trailer.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

And Roky, Lord Kinbote's chosen messiah.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I watch on amazon but I doubt it's different. I noticed that a lot of the establishing shots are in SD, probably because it was stock footage or the they were shot on video to save money. Obviously they're not sending anyone out to do re-shoots 20 years later for that stuff.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's also smaller supporting stuff like the ouroboros tattoo she gets at the end of Never Again, and the time loop episode "Monday" where the day keeps resetting until it plays out in such a way that Mulder and Scully don't get blown up.

Somehow it never occurred to me that the time loop episode was related but it fits well.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There were a bunch of episodes that end on ominous "he'll be back" note that are never followed up on.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Both of these are still among my favorites of the entire series. In particular, for some reason when I saw Darkness Falls when it first aired it really stuck with me, and it's always been an episode that's stayed with me since.

I read the juvenile novelization of Darkness Falls before I saw it and it got me really hyped to watch the episode. I finally saw it when I got it on tape as a gift and it didn't disappoint. I still get all :unsmith: when I watch it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I can't believe I managed to sit through that whole things and its wall of terrible writing and terrible music.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Regarding Babylon, I was hoping those two middle eastern dudes were holding hands because they were going to get married in Texas and were going to have to wade through a crowd of protesters. Then there would an Ifrit or a Marid or literally anything else than what happened.

I didn't hate the finale as much as I thought I would but it was pretty dumb. I was really rolling my eyes at "amplify my DNA." Having the Syndicate's plan to be global depopulation to preserve humanity but make them selves the elite in the process could be a good plot but it sure wasn't handled well.

Generally I think the X-Files is best when it's focused on telling small scale stories, preferably in sort of isolated community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

PCR literally is used to amplify DNA, it was the most (only) plausible line in the entire episode.

I loving lost it at 'I NEED STEM CELLS!' though.

Oh all right. It sounded like they were trying to power it up or something. Shows what I know!

• Locked thread