Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Mixed episode but lots of feels. I liked the Maggie story line better than the MOW. Gillian did a good job.

Although, "My mom just died but I want to go hunt down this thing ripping apart people." K, Scully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

Hey I'm going to skip past some of the discussion since I'm watching this now, but just want to know if there's some references from past episodes I'm missing.
It seems Scully has quite a bit of extended family, was any of it from past seasons? Like was Charlie invented for this episode, or were all the names invented for this episode.
Also "Signed by two naval officers" sounds familiar, weren't there two mytharc related naval officers.

I will say it's disappointing that this doesn't have anything to do with Home despite the title. Usually I'd not assume but I did go to a q/a session with Duchovny and at one point he did start going on about Home, I guess I mentally conflated the two things.

Scully is from a family of four: William Jr, Dana, Melissa, Charlie. Everyone except Charlie has been in an episode but he has been mentioned (and I think he shows up in one flashback as a child). This is the first time we've had any back story.

Scully's father and brother were/are in the navy so I'm sure Mrs. Scully still has a lot of contacts from there. It didn't really seem weird to me.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Soooo, Gillian Anderson got some major plastic surgery done, right? As that what I'm seeing?

I don't think so, but either way, who cares?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Relayer posted:

Scully does not look right at all in this run and it really makes it feel un Xfilesy to me. She's still a fantastic actress though, I just miss the red megabob.

I do agree that the wig is off putting.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Dessel posted:

Were the scenes from the past in this episode ripped straight from the old episodes?

Yes

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Well besides Chris Carter loving with my emotions for 23 years, I liked it.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'd be perfectly happy with ten monster-of-the-week episodes.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

PassTheRemote posted:

Yes, the Rhys Darbie were-human episode was IMO the best episode of the bunch, and I'd like more of them, and less mytharc please.

Absolutely. Get old writers, new writers, anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with Gris Garter to write all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Skinner is going to have a picture of Trump up on his office wall, isn't he? Ugh.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I will take mediocre seasons if we get at least one Darin-written episode out of it.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'm weirded out its on at 8EST.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I guess I'm in the minority because I loved it. The pacing was fast, Mulder driving a "sports" car and slashing people's throats, and I like the plot twist because it makes sense in the whole mytharc.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I guess I'm in the extreme minority of liking this episode but I went in with no expectations and I fully expect this is the last hurrah so I'm just along for the ride. Yes it had issues, but gently caress it, just throw the cards up in the air and see what lands. I think the plot holds up well and I like where Mulder and Scully are in their relationship/lives and that works for me. There have always been two sets of alien factions and likewise two human factions working alongside them. I like Cancerman being the father because it explains why Scully and William haven't been killed up to this point. I never liked Mulder and Scully getting together (a separate lengthy post) so let's roll with this narrative.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I still love this show. I like the banter, the action, the Scully spank bank. :angel:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Spoiler I guess:

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/953809292120948736

@GillianA: ATTHS. Twice. 😏 #TheXFiles https://t.co/xyXWXaTe3Y

ATTHS means And Then They Had Sex

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

They are saying Ghouli, referencing a monster from a website . Had whiffs of Slenderman and my worlds collide. :monocle:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Super hoping after reading the description mulder would look at the screen and say wow scully, this situation is something awful.

I would have screamed!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I just want one episode where all the botox in mulders face becomes sentient and tries to kill him

He's pushing 60 I'd still do him in a heartbeat.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

We got Scully laughing, owning a vibrator, and a blobfish. I don't care how the plot is any more, it was entertaining.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I legit loved that episode and not in "I love any new X-Files", but it was a good MOTW with a creepy, gross monster, Wynn Duffy, and some good Mulder and Scully shipping.

Edit : I'm going to cry like a baby next week.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Shitenshi posted:

1993 X-Files is so retro. I feel old watching it.

It's hard to say out loud, but I've been watching this show for 25 goddamn years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

There is a reason she's been my avatar for the last 14 years.

• Locked thread