Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The amazing thing about the X-Files is how inconsistent it is for a show of its deserved stature. The first season was really uneven and took a long time to gel into something sustainable, the last season is more or less a total write-off, the mythology starts out a mess and becomes totally incoherent by the end, but despite all that when the show fires on all cylinders it's still electrifying.

Now I just have to finish watching Twin Peaks and I'll be all set for 90s TV That Changed Everything.

Basebf555 posted:

I can't think of a guy more famous for one(technically two) guest appearance on a T.V. show.

Before he was Dr. Venture, the only thing anyone would ever recognize James Urbaniak from was the one episode of Sex and the City where he played a shoe salesman with a foot fetish. (I know this because he brings it up frequently on his podcast.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's especially weird because even though First Person Shooter is as bad as Kill Switch is good, they were both written by the same person (who was already a legendary sci-fi author).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My first exposure to the show was the episode "Syzygy", which has as part of its plot Mulder and Scully's personalities being distorted by the supernatural whatever and making them get angry with each other over dumb reasons. I found them unpleasant without realizing they weren't normally like that and it wasn't until I saw some different episodes that I really got into it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It ruins the whole look of the show on some level. Vancouver has a cold dreariness that seeps into every shot, even if it's indoors and well-lit. California is just too colorful and it was never the same again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

david_a posted:

I love how the shapeshifters can magically heal bullet wounds and severe brain damage in humans, but if they get stung by bees they will have those scars for a month :)

Weren't those bees special somehow?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He also did this, which never fails to make me think of the X-Files when it comes on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wizchine posted:

There was nothing remotely close at the time on tv.

Yeah, this. The X-Files changed a lot about genre television; pretty much every serial sci-fi drama since then owes something to it and wouldn't have been possible had it not existed and been a huge hit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charlie Mopps posted:

Also, where does Mulder sleep? His apartment doesnt seem to have a bed.

He does have a bedroom and in season 6 he gets a waterbed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

And presumably his landlord asks him to get rid of it not long after that.

Indeed, he gets chewed out for it (repeatedly) in "Monday" which I think is in season 7.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

big business sloth posted:

(and retcon it so that they were up to things even before then, I think I've gathered?).

It's more that unlike a lot of shows they never show the exact moment where they decided to give it a go, instead they just reveal at some point that they've become an item in the recent past.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

Actually he's accused of being a demon because his wife keeps giving birth to horrible demon babies which he then kills and buries but it turns out it's actually his wife who is a demon and actually wants a horrible demon baby of her own.

I think that's it anyway.

They're both demons, but with opposite goals. He wants to live a normal human life, but every time he impregnates a woman the child comes out as a demon so he kills it and moves on. She wants to have a demon baby, but every time a human male impregnates her the child comes out normal, so she kills it and moves on. By the time M&S figure this out, she's gotten knocked up by Campbell's character, stopped him from killing it, and escaped.

Yeah, this loving show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

Right, that's the one. Also man that is loving grim even for this show, though the last shot of the episode is weirdly silly and almost sweet.

Also really dated. This show did not make the best use of licensed music.

Season 6 is a mixed bag overall. The wheels hadn't fully come off the mythology yet but they were starting to wobble, and the MOTW stories were getting more experimental and avant-garde, not always successfully. It also had the jarring California scenery throwing everything off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think they actually touch on that in his origin episode- he was trying to quit at the same time he was trying to get out of the world of covert ops, but when his manuscript is rejected he throws up his hands and dives back into both.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

The episode where Scully gets a tattoo

Do people really think this was a terrible episode? I rewatched it recently and it seemed middle-of-the-road at worst.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Chinga is bad but it's followed by Killswitch which is pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did the same scene in season 6 (Dreamland) and it's even funnier there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
X-Files can be subtle when they want to. At one point Mulder semi-jokingly threatens Scully with being sent to a women's prison with a cellmate who "reads a lot of Gertrude Stein".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
She resolved it by dying, she was never going to fix it to the point that the robbery didn't happen and she got a happy ending with her boyfriend. Mulder realizing the situation was just what let him and Scully escape.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm watching X-Files for the first time and just hit episode 21, Tooms, which is the first episode where they revisit a previous monster of the week. In later seasons, do they almost always do a new mystery every week with follow-ups like that being few and far between?

Yes, there are only a small handful of MOTW repeats or sequels.

quote:

Do later seasons have more metaplot?

Yes (although this isn't always a good thing). The mythology kicks into high gear and becomes a coherent through-line in the middle of season 2 and stays strong and consistent until season 6. Unfortunately there are 3 more seasons of show after that and they aren't all MOTWs.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 26, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He played a major role in the show and met Bryan Cranston while filming the episode "Drive".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is that before or after the episode where Mulder finds out what really really really happened to his sister and there's another Moby scene?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Exploder posted:

I guess that makes sense, and if that's the case, it's a drat shame because Jack Gladney is absolutely right. According to IMDB, he recently wrote a couple episodes for something called "Intruders". Anybody watch this show? Here's the description:

"A TV series centered around a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others."

Sounds like it could be interesting, but I had never even heard of it until now. And Robert Forster is in a couple episodes! I might need to check this out.

I tried watching that but it didn't grab me. Each episode was like a 45-minute X-Files cold open.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

That sounds pretty great to me.

I mean that there was too much time spent on spooky lingering establishing shots and too many people acting creepy and mysterious for too little reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Basebf555 posted:

Now though, so much time has gone by and they all seem genuinely excited to do another season. I think it probably has a lot to do with he popularity of limited run series like True Detective and Fargo, so that now its feasible to give the fans one(who knows, maybe two) season and just walk away. If their heart is in it I see no reason why a new season couldn't be great.

When you put it that way, an X-Files anthology series where one case unfolds over a short season would be amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Every member of the Syndicate except the Smoking Man was killed halfway through season 6.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After the last movie I'm not sure I want to believe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Smoking Man died in the last episode, where he got hit in the face with a missile and you got a slow-motion view of his flesh burning off just to make it absolutely clear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't pick a specific peak between 2 and 6. There's too many classic episodes to count.

And yeah, the move to California did ruin the show's aesthetics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He now spends all his time investigating cryptozoological erotica on Amazon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, the worst episode is the one with the Indian mystic who crawls up people's asses and rides around in them.

First Person Shooter is pretty bad though. It's amazing how bad it is when it was written by a person who also produced a) a really good season 4 episode and b) a pile of acclaimed sci-fi novels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it that unusual that people remember a lot of details and trivia about something that strongly appealed to them and was consumed intensely over several years?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clones :getin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mr.capps posted:

It will turn out they uploaded themselves to the internet like that one lady in that one episode to survive.

Turns out Harsh Realm was an X-Files sequel all along!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

We only need Bill Clinton's portrait and we're set.

And Janet Reno.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series? I used to watch the show all the time and I thought the first movie was pretty awesome and set up the end-game for the mythology episodes but funny enough I kind of stopped watching the show after the movie. I've watched the first two seasons and half of the third again, so far and aside from a few mediocre episodes, contrivances (Oh hey, we missed each other's call by like one second a dozen times! HAW), and TV idiot logic (Why yes, I'll explore a dark room with an unknown monster in it by myself thankyouverymuch), I'm reminded at how solid the show was, especially the mythology episodes as the show went on. The string of episodes from season's two finale to the first couple episodes of season three are really freaking good.

I'd put it at the end of season 6, when the Syndicate is mostly killed off. The following three seasons have their moments but the extended mythology is aimless and has no reason to exist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, he's supposed to be a predator who just looks human most of the time and can act well enough that he doesn't get caught during his outings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean that was firebombed and Skinner then used the Navaho to protect Mulder and Scully.

This is where you pucker up and kiss my rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I've started watching this and I'm working my through. Just started season 4 so far. I don't want spoilers but does the main story get a decent resolution and does the quality ever drop hugely near the end? I can deal with the bad episode now and then

The first one is sort of true depending on where you stop watching, the second is most definitely true.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Brian Thompson even looks scary when intimidating New Yorkers and squealing in glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MacDougall posted:

As X Files fans how do you feel about Fringe?

Most of Fringe was great but it had its slow points and I didn't like the last season.

• Locked thread