Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
*Must keep hands off my loving percosets

*Do you have any percosets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are a few key things about wildstar's PVE endgame:

- Adventures are really boring and terrible but the medal system made gold-medaling them the best way to grind out pre-raid epic gear in the game. So people were running them constantly but the different goals people had (just finish it at all for blue gear, for people who just hit 50, silver medaling for the attunement, gold medaling it for people trying to gear up to raid) created a ton of totally-forseeable friction.
- The dungeons are tough and you have to progress on them like a raid which wouldn't be AWFUL except that you also had to time-trial it to complete the attunement step and at launch the only good gear out of them came from gold medaling or completing gold medal challenges. Which means after they toned adventure rewards way-the-gently caress down to get higher-geared players out of them and reduce friction, the pre-raid process was basically "progressing" on dungeons while receiving zero gear. And "that guy" who fucks up boss fights half the time just could not get attuned because he would gently caress at least one thing up over the course of the dungeon and kill the timed run.
- Most of your stats came not from gear but from the runes you plugged into them, which meant that the most important part of gear was what slots it spawned with, and both the type and number were random. The top-tier guilds were running around in crafted gear last I saw because (A) you could optimize a single damage-related stat in crafted gear beyond the point that drops actually had, and (B) you could grind out a particular slot configuration, so guilds were also not getting ear upgrades from the raids.
- Also rune components were incredibly rare and a full set of runes cost several months worth of play time.
- The raids were apparently really cool, but they got cooler the further you got and were basically wow heroic raid difficulty, which means most people didn't get far. At the time I stopped playing something like 250 guilds worldwide had killed a boss in the first raid- that probably got inflated after the attunements were nerfed, but not by much because most players had left by then. Also of those 250 guilds almost all of them were stuck on the second boss (the first boss was described by players a "welcome hug" that was easier than some dungeon bosses).
- Worst of all, the game was just buggy, and they always introduced more bugs than fixes in every patch. There were also some uhhhhh "repeat offenders". Basically every update broke the medic's main damage ability in some form or fashion and there were a couple other things like that. I remember one time the guy responsible for the fix explained that they actually knew about the bug before it went out and he checked in a fix, but uh... couldn't explain why it didn't go live. Someone must have forgotten to put it in the build. Oops. My favorite WildStar thing was when I asked in the thread why they didn't just turn off attunements already until they could "fix" them and then they could get it out tonight. Cyster explained in the thread that they had to test, that they weren't going to leave anything up to chance by just turning off attunements, that they were going to do everything right and not allow big bugs to go out with this release, it was too important.

So they finally released the attunement change (they didn't remove the dungeon step, but rather reduced the requirement to completing each dungeon with optionals, rather than the time trial), along with a bunch of un-asked for class balancing changes that they hadn't communicated to the community beforehand and were largely regarded as a bad idea. Bugs in that release:

- If you had killed world bosses prior to beginning the world boss step of the attunement, the world boss step became uncompletable.
- Two separate bugs that I can't remember the details of but made medic DPS unplayable were added. One of these was known about beforehand but hadn't been included in the build. Again. Oops.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh, and two last things: the game had this thing where you had to find and use items to get access to spending points on certain talents. The main DPS talent for one of the classes was a super-rare world drop that at one point was going for like 3 or 4 months of playtime. Once they fixed that they also introduced a bug around the same time that caused it to make it so that you couldn't know when your abilities came off cooldown. The client would visually show a cooldown, but that cooldown was wrong.

EDIT: That bug persisted for over a month.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 10, 2014

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Archonex posted:

So basically just imagine what would have happened if Brad had actually gotten Pantheon out the door.

Low blow, low blow!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I can tell why they are excited about this, it would have KILLED in 1999.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

randombattle posted:

I still recommend that gamespot? piece on everything that went terribly wrong with Daikatana. Such a good read into how never to do something. Ironic how much Pantheon was similar in attitude. Had Brad gotten the money he wanted it would have been a development shitshow as Brad demanded everyone be aware of how awesome his ranger god king is.

Do you mean the Dallas Observer? http://www.dallasobserver.com/1999-01-14/news/stormy-weather/

My beloved hometown village voice-style paper has a few decent articles every now and then, and this one is one of my favorites.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Skeletons: the game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's so everquest that the monsters have indefinite articles in front of their names. That's pretty loving everquest.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

randombattle posted:

Can I fight gay demons and rerolled skeletons at the same time.

You can't kite gay demons.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fendahleen posted:

Please, this is all old news.

Heyseus had to grind for a straight fortnight to cast out the 2000 demons he needed for his left rubicite bracer, had to take a number for exorcism groups in the Karanas, you know how it was. Smug gently caress running the bank kept pulling that 'render unto Ceasar' line, too.

He doesn't sound like much of a prophet. I mean, I haven't heard of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I know it's bad form to do this, but if at any point Pantheon looked like a thing you might want to play, you should probably check out this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701175

• Locked thread