Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rexicon1 posted:

well if you are used to how review scores work 5/10 is basically a F-

Are we still in a state where reviews of 10 or 9 mean "buy it right now with all of your money", 8 means "we didn't get paid enough for this review but it's still good", 7 means "it's horribly flawed" and 6 and below mean never purchase it ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol it was a joke but okay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

You're as bad at jokes as you are at LPing oh burn

I already knew it was a bad joke when people took it seriously you don't need to be mean :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want a 28 point scale where the only acceptable points to give a video game are 11-13 because gently caress it.

Part of the reason I like Giant Bomb Quick Looks is because you can easily tell the guys' opinions from their reaction to the game. Instead of reading a review of a game I listen to Jeff Gerstmann go "ughhhh, this is- this is just- ughhh" and I already know what he thinks without there being a 1 through 10 number associated with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

On the other hand, because occasionally their familiarity with a game being QLed is very shallow - though I can't think of any recent examples - they sometimes don't do a game justice, criticizing or lauding it unfairly.

That's fair, I think. I guess it mostly depends on what kind of game it is. Story-based games where they start from the beginning usually don't turn out well but arcadey-type stuff that gets started instantly is easier for them to judge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for contributing to the discussion! :thumbsup:

I won't argue that Skyrim is an important game if 'important' is really a word you can use to describe video games, but I will argue that it was boring as poo poo and could have been done much better than it was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How can we sit around watching Patrick Klepek #BeatRemo when there are real insurgents in real countries that #BeatPOWs?!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roobanguy posted:

Just a reminder that it was a goon that told Patrick that he was glad his dad died so he wouldn't show up in content for a while.

The internet is a mean place sometimes. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Radiohead's first couple of albums but after that I couldn't really get into them. Riff Raff is hilarious and ridiculous. Strange, it's almost as if people have varying tastes in music and cannot be lumped into a single group!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being a jerk in a video game is a completely separate issue from telling someone you're glad their dad died. The internet is the middle ground between those two things but it is still possible to take 'being a dick' too far, but some would argue that the "beauty" of the internet is that most of the time you can say whatever you want and get off scot-free.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem is that people think being a dick is funny. That's why griefing exists in video games. That's why trolling exists as a concept. It's not funny to anyone but the person being the dick in that situation, but if you call them on that, you'll get "u mad bro :xd:" as a response. If acting like an rear end in a top hat wasn't self-fulfilling then it wouldn't be an issue, but like people have been saying in this discussion, it's just human nature. Which sucks, but there's not a lot you can do other than moderate it where you have the power to do so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There was a later episode of DBZ that was on when I was younger where Vegeta and Goku were inside of Buu or something and they made a joke about butts while my parents were in the room, and so I got banned from watching Toonami for a long time.

gently caress you Dragon Ball Z, keeping me from watching Cowboy Bebop thanks to your dumb American redub jokes. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

bebop wasnt on toonami, IDIOT

Adult Swim came on right after Toonami for the longest time and Bebop was the front-runner. Don't blame me for my parents not knowing when the Toonami block is over. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dude Dragon Ball Z was fuckin' hilarious when I was younger I don't know what you're talking about. Just because I didn't praise it in my post on the subject doesn't mean I was poo poo talking it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

Why do you want to watch Rorie cry, you monster?

Is there really anyone here who doesn't wanna watch Rorie cry?

Alternative Rorie joke: You're a monster. :smuggo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy poo poo, these people. :stare:

Holy doubleshit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It appears Metal Gear Solid is a much different series than it was back when I used to follow it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've now watched through the whole South Park part and wow yeah they actually went kinda light on the game. I dunno where all the haters are suddenly coming from but the guys definitely seemed like they liked it. I was expecting them to lay into the whole concept of South Park from what the comments were implying, but then I got to minute 33 and it hadn't happened so I was really confused! :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I couldn't even tell who that rant was directed at. Like... the posters talking about the 'normal looking guy' I guess? That's not an insult though. :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

I have no fondness for Harmonix, and I'm not interested in another multiplayer shooter, but they're smart to be getting out of the rhythm game business. I'm at least curious to see what this is.

Obviously you didn't watch the trailer. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just like any music genre there is a wide variety of quality in dubstep music. Here, I'll list a few examples of good dubstep for you:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dubstep sucks and despite the technical awareness/prowess you need to do it properly, it's a crappy sub-genre of electronic music and Saints Row IV was brought way down by acting like it's cool and listenable. Whoops I tripped and dropped my opinion on the post button. Game still looks like an interesting gimmick though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The stereotypical nerd culture hasn't existed since the early 2000s if not earlier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

You beat Dark Souls? oh man good job buddy

what you were using the Furysword ugh get out of my grill you lameass cheesemonster use a real balanced weapon

There is a difference between 'cheap' and 'automatically hits people if you click while they're in view'. If it's just dumb bots sure it's not a problem but if two people kill each other at the same time in the same shot with automatic targeting pistols the world will probably collapse on itself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fallom posted:

The gun that's balanced to make newcomers feel good about playing multiplayer FPS games is inevitably going to turn into something that skilled players use to utterly dominate.

This happened to Max Payne 3 multiplayer. One of the basic loadouts once you can start with allowed you to dual wield plain old pistols and if you'd collected the golden gun parts in singleplayer you could use the effects in multiplayer too. With 10% higher damage and a bigger magazine and "as fast as you can click your mouse" firerate, the default pistols are unironically two of the best weapons in the whole drat thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crowfeathers posted:

You'll notice that won't be a problem in Titanfall, since it doesn't have a single-player mode.

It has mid-match upgradeable guns which is the same thing. At least in Max Payne 3 the gun doesn't automatically kill things for you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sendo posted:

Titanfall would be a fantastic game if it was more than 6v6, had no bots and no titans.

It's ground combat is so good (smart pistol is dumb though) but it loving sucks that after a few minutes into a round there will only be 3-4 other enemy players at most on the ground to fight and a bunch of the worst bots that have ever existed in a game.

If Titanfall didn't have the titans it'd basically just be a slightly different Brink. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

uPen posted:

They just dug out of the Rocket HQ without the scope after spending 36+ hours in there. It's great.

RNG plays pokemon is a different channel where a literal RNG plays the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The RNG bot had to be restarted after it released its only useful pokemon... after beating I believe two gyms and reaching three towns. So, it has made progress and it's on 1000% speed just for convenience's sake. I think it's interesting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VDay posted:

I guess I'd be part of the :tinfoil: brigade then, because that seems completely ludicrous to me. Like just the simple act of getting to the first boss seems like something that would have a .0000001% chance of happening, let alone having any pokemon that are still alive, and then actually managing to attack enough times to beat an entire gym. Then getting to the next gym instead of just being stuck in some kind of weird loop or simply going backwards, and beating a second trainer.

I hope it's true and the dude's not just taking over or mashing commands behind the scenes, because I'd love to see some kind of review of the run that condenses/edits out all the parts of it flailing around and just shows the important bits at regular speed.

Actually getting to at least Brock is way more likely than you'd think considering there's only one way to leave town, and that exit is guarded by a kid that leads you directly to the square in front of Brock's gym when you go in that direction. You can't leave town to progress until you beat him and there's only one road back to Pallet Town (unless I'm remembering wrong) so really it's only a matter of time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Infinite had to be redesigned from the ground up like three times, which is why the initial trailers look so completely different than the final game. I don't think it was trapped in development hell per se, so much as it was trapped in creative difference hell. The final product suffered a lot for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's a combination of the two, really. Niko is seeking redemption and wants out of the violent life but it's a gameplay conceit that he can't do that, because otherwise it wouldn't be a GTA game. The two compliment each other: Niko, the character, is a hypocrite and keeps getting involved in a whole lot of poo poo; but you, the player, want the game to be fun and interesting and that's the real reason why.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh are we doing this again?

*Any member of Giant Bomb introduces another member of Giant Bomb by responding to them with a sentence containing their name*

*This acts as a clever twist on the idea that you should introduce yourself at the beginning of a video or review featuring yourself so as to inform people of who you are and perhaps give your opinion or view some credibility as well as to match a name to your voice for future reference and for repeat viewings*

*In a way it is meant to be humorous in that the audience is expected to know of this idea beforehand and by introducing each other instead of introducing themselves a clever joke is made*

:geno:

edit: But for real:

*Brad is playing the game during the QL and it is evident by Jeff's very unabashed sighing*

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 22, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Was playing FTL and hey look who I found for sale at a slaver's market.

Unfortunately it seems Spelunky skill alone was not enough to deter slavers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jumping on the Saya No Uta was interesting and cool bandwagon. Who cares if there are sex scenes you babies just avert your eyes or skip them or something the dude lives in a hellish reality where literally everything is gross meat a couple anime boners will not scar you for life.

edit: Oops I'm like half a page late for visual novel chat. Oh well. Katawa Shoujo was also neat. Steins;gate is probably one of my faves.

That Go Go Nippon thing is just inexcusably weird regardless.

edit: vvvv I'm not about to defend the fact that Saya is outwardly a little girl because again, inexcusably weird, I'm just saying that maybe you shouldn't let being a huge prude get in the way of enjoying a good story. Good thing visual novels made in the python engine feature an auto-skip button.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What case??

I realized suddenly that this isn't actually a thing I care about so I wanna talk about how poo poo David Cage continues to be instead.

I have played a bit of Beyond: Two Souls and it is pretty much just Heavy Rain, warts and all. The facial animations are still crap, the ~interesting gameplay~ is still boring, and the plot is all over the place. I just don't understand how people like Cage and Molyneux can go "this will revolutionize the way X is done!" in the face of doing the exact same thing over and over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So you think you're playing a nice interactive drama? Playing a video game that resembles a movie in its cinematic presentation? Are you having fun in this first 20 or so minutes? Do you have any fear that it'll stay on-rails the entire time and be a concise experience worthy of prestigious recognition and awards? A genre-buster of its own kind with a cohesive narrative?

Well you can ditch that fear right now because

:siren::siren:DAVID CAGE MOTHERFUCKERS:siren::siren:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes the storylines in wrestling are pretty much straight out of an anime. I've seen wrestlers die and come back to life a couple matches later before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Internet posted:

Wrestling would be a lot more like Anime if the fights lasted as long as the entire show and then the next show would be filler until the next match wherein Dwyane the Rock Johnson trips backstage and lands face first into a schoolgirls boobs and she then spends 15 minutes hitting him with a paper fan calling him a "pervertidiot" where the audience is meant to laugh.

And everyone laughs and laughs and laughs and laughs because it is so funny.

Yeah but this actually happens already? Maybe we're watching different shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

as a poster on the somethingawful internet forum, let me tell you about my refined entertainment pallet in this thread dedicated to a website where a guy shoved electrodes down his pants

If you enter "Giant Bomb v" in the youtube search bar, "Giant Bomb Vinny Shock" is like the third one down on the list. :v:

edit: Along with "Giant Bomb Video games I like those" and "Giant Bomb Video Thing".

• Locked thread