Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Do they send a box for you to mail your old phone to T-Mob? I've only gotten iPhones directly from Apple before and never traded in to my carrier.
I think I just reused the shipping box that my new phone came in, but it's been a few years since I went through the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think I just reused the shipping box that my new phone came in, but it's been a few years since I went through the process.

Same, just shove old phone into box, print out and attach label, drop off.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good enough. Thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The last phone I traded in, I took it to a store just to rule out that small percentage chance that "oh no it got damaged/lost in shipping but somehow this is your fault, not ours" would happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Remember when TMob's base plans were $50/mo? That was nice. :smith:

It’s almost like they lowered prices for a bit to sound like they cared for the common people so they could later merge with sprint and raise prices when there’s no competition or reason to keep prices down.

I do remember and it still sucks it happened the way it did.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thank you everyone, I think I'm just going to call them and see what the options are. None of the phones are on a payment plan.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
In case anyone hadn't heard yet, Tmobile is forcing a plan change on certain legacy plans unless you opt out.

https://tmo.report/2023/10/breaking-t-mobile-will-force-customers-onto-newer-plans-unless-you-opt-out/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gently caress they are getting rid of my ONE plan

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If the price increase is really only $5 per line I'm not going to be too upset.

I have a feeling looking at the comparison of my current ONE plan and the Go5G plan for 2 lines that it will be more than that.

Will it be enough to switch carriers? Hard to know, I haven't been impressed with Verizon in my area anyway - I trialed them back in August

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Yeah I’m not seeing the benefits of switching from ONE to Go5G. Video in 720p or something?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Some updates are coming in and it SOUNDS like free lines will continue to carry forward just fine. So will need to evaluate the benefits of increasing the cost per line average of $5 or whatever against the new things available by going to Go5G or Magenta from SC.

I imagine it will be zero so I'll opt out ASAP, but I'll give it a cursory look. If my total bill goes up by $15-20 and I get significant value for it, I'd consider it given I could potentially take advantage of future offers on devices that I cannot now.

Still think it'll come out negative and I'll stay on SC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If these plan changes saved you money they wouldn't be doing this.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I guess the "netflix/apple tv+ on us" would save you money if you canceled your paid plans?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I guess the "netflix/apple tv+ on us" would save you money if you canceled your paid plans?

You don't need to cancel, there's a process to change your existing plan to bill TMo instead.

I just recently-ish switched from an old One 2-line promo to Magenta Max with three lines, right before they came out with the Go5G bullshit. It ended up being mostly a wash because I was adding a third line, got big credits on two new phones, paid for the Netflix that I couldn't convince anyone else involved to cancel anyway, and also was able to add a fourth line for free on the last free-line promo.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Pretty sure this is just "we want to get ahead of the FTC investigating junk fees and force you on an account change because that's not a junk fee!"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

:jerkbag:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Pretty sure this is just "we want to get ahead of the FTC investigating junk fees and force you on an account change because that's not a junk fee!"

Most of T-Mobile's plans are inclusive of taxes and fees, so they can't just tack on an extra fee like AT&T and Verizon do to raise prices after the fact.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

Most of T-Mobile's plans are inclusive of taxes and fees, so they can't just tack on an extra fee like AT&T and Verizon do to raise prices after the fact.

Unless they decide to start adding tax and fees lol.

Meme of Darth Vader pray I don’t alter the deal further here.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
I’m a legacy Sprint Kickstart customer. I didn’t see that listed nor have I received any communications. Hoping they don’t touch that. No way that compares in price.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They’ll start sending notices on the 17th, via email and text message.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Queer Grenadier posted:

I’m a legacy Sprint Kickstart customer. I didn’t see that listed nor have I received any communications. Hoping they don’t touch that. No way that compares in price.

Yeah I'm on advantage. It's not listed in their list so we'll see.

I don't watch Netflix so it ruined it when they swapped Amazon for Netflix.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I keep getting messages that my promo pricing for the S23 is expired due to change in eligibility so guess I'm calling up on the 17th to stay on SWAcC attack

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So what are the wait times going to be like when everyone calls in to opt-out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm a long time Sprint customer and still on SWAC. I'm going to Canada for a few days next month - does T-Mobile include Canada in standard coverage or will I need to get a temporary add on?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Medullah posted:

I'm a long time Sprint customer and still on SWAC. I'm going to Canada for a few days next month - does T-Mobile include Canada in standard coverage or will I need to get a temporary add on?

For most Tmobile plans yes, the data cap for high speed does depend on your Tmobile plan though (5/10/15GB). Assuming they kept the terms of the SWAC stuff intact I would imagine that should also still be fine?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RodShaft posted:

Yeah I'm on advantage. It's not listed in their list so we'll see.

I don't watch Netflix so it ruined it when they swapped Amazon for Netflix.

Yeah I don't even want Netflix. Give me a plan without all these stupid loving freebies I won't even use :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They give you the shittiest most basic 480p plan on Netflix. I don’t even use mine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SeANMcBAY posted:

They give you the shittiest most basic 480p plan on Netflix. I don’t even use mine.

It defrays some of the cost of the actually-good plans

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah I don't even want Netflix. Give me a plan without all these stupid loving freebies I won't even use :argh:

Be careful what you wish for, other carriers took this input and re rolled out plans at the same price but with no freebies lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I upgraded from my unlocked iPhone 13 Pro to the 15 pro offered by TMob due to them saying that they would put $1000 towards the trade in as long as I upgraded my plan. No problem, got the 15 pro, mailed in my 13 pro etc. Mind you the only damage on the 13 was a scratch on the screen around 1/2 a cm long; it's always been in a case and the battery capacity was at 89%. The other day I got notice that it was a $350 trade in. This is a bait and switch as far as I'm concerned and would have just kept my 13 Pro for such a poo poo amount. Is there any way to have TMob rectify this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TMo tradeins are usually some nominal instant trade value and the rest comes as monthly bill credits. I got a whole $20 'up front' for trading an S9 against a 15 Pro Max on MM, but the rest of the $650 is coming as $26/mo for the next two years. I'd log in and check your equipment financing details before dealing with support.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

Be careful what you wish for, other carriers took this input and re rolled out plans at the same price but with no freebies lol.

I'd almost prefer that, then there's no pretense of "but you're getting bonus poo poo (you're not even using)!!"

I'm here to pay you for phone service, not loving Netflix subscriptions

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well since you already use T Mobile, why not use Mint or even (brace yourselves) Consumer Cellular?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well since you already use T Mobile, why not use Mint or even (brace yourselves) Consumer Cellular?

Every time I've used an MVNO it's been a marked decrease in connection speeds, even on plans that shouldn't be deprioritized like Xfinity Mobile's unlimited data plan with high speed video streaming enabled was loving unusable in my area

T-Mobile is already unreliable enough inside buildings on its own. I sucked it up because it was cheap.

What's worse is I live in a foothill town so the service is just unreliable no matter what. You just can't attenuate LTE/5G through hills

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 17, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

TMo tradeins are usually some nominal instant trade value and the rest comes as monthly bill credits. I got a whole $20 'up front' for trading an S9 against a 15 Pro Max on MM, but the rest of the $650 is coming as $26/mo for the next two years. I'd log in and check your equipment financing details before dealing with support.

Ahhh- that's exactly what is happening- I got the $350ish applied immediately and there is a $27.50 credit applied to my bill each month for 24 months. Thank you!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ahhh- that's exactly what is happening- I got the $350ish applied immediately and there is a $27.50 credit applied to my bill each month for 24 months. Thank you!

This is also 100% everyone’s reaction the first time it happens (I’m sure my similar post is probably still in this thread).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. The S9 tradein I just did was for my wife's line and she had the exact same "wtf" reaction to getting a text about the $20 credit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well looks like plan migration thing is dead for now, wonder if that ultimately was just there to make people forget about the other recent unpopular policy things (autopay changes, smaller discounts on phones if not on latest plan, etc).

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Wait, they're no longer forcing plan changes? I was wondering why i didn't get the notification text.

Got a source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Wait, they're no longer forcing plan changes? I was wondering why i didn't get the notification text.

Got a source?

CEO sent a company wide e-mail (that leaked), there wasn’t an official announcement yet. Basically sayin this was totally just a test that would impact a very few accounts just to see how it would go and the dar media blew it out of proportion.

they spoke about it during their Q3 call