Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

Yeah, they got the 600mhz band about 4 years ago. Prior to that they largely did high band/high speed. Verizon is king because they use a ton of midband.

Sprint had a ton of....800?850? Band spectrm, which was the oo la la of buying them- outside of consolidating the only price competition, surely.

Verizon has a ton of low band and high band, all their mid band is still tied up supporting 3G until end of the year.

Verizon and ATT 4G LTE is almost all 700, which is partially why the coverage is better than T-Mobile and Sprint (the other reason is simply more towers, especially compared to Sprint).

Sprint 4G is mostly on I think 1900 (it’s 1900 or 1700). Sprint actually has an insane amount of 2500 mid band spectrum, which they famously used to try and launch 4G first with WiMAX, which was a complete disaster.

Sprint does has 850 because that was what Nextel iDEN was on. For the longest time they couldn’t roll 4G on it because they still had Nextel customers. I assume at this point they’ve deployed 4G 850 towers, but not completely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anecdotal but got an iPhone 12 the other day in store with a delivery date mid-January, but I guess it’s coming today

Cool cool cool

They’re probably just really under promising on the delivery dates.

Weird? The 12s have been very reliable in inventory where you don’t even have to under promise. Pro Max and especially Pro are the ones with inventory issues in my experience right now. But my store just started seeing a Pro or two trickle in, so I think they’ll start being more available soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

Does anyone have experience with changing your phone number? Specifically if I can import a number to change mine to? A few years back I was on Google Fi and I ported that number to Voice, then joined a family plan with my mom and brother and got a new number. The headaches of using Voice are not worth it anymore and Google keeps telling me they're really for real shuttering Hangouts so I'm ready to just have one number again.

I would call T-Mobile care, they should have a process to port the number over top (aka replace) your current number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

torb main posted:

I've got a potentially dumbass question. I moved to Japan about a year and a half ago and will be here for another few months before moving back to the US. I've been on the Sprint Japan Plan the entire time which is a loving incredible deal ($5 add-on for unlimited talk, text, and data in Japan), but I've been stuck on my iPhone 6S for long enough and need to upgrade, especially now that the CDMA network will be shutdown when I move back.

Would there be any issues trying to do a device swap while roaming on SoftBank? Has anyone else tried to do a device swap overseas period? Maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd like to know for sure before dropping the :20bux: on a new device.

I don’t work for T-Mobile , but I would bet the SIM needs a domestic tower to programs, I would recommend holding out until you actually are back in the states.

FYI, the iPhone 6S is a full LTE phone, so it will not be impacted by the CDMA shut down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm looking at the math and I just can't convince myself.

Metro:
Handset $1000
Trade in/Sell current XR $??? (nothing huge I'm sure but it's an OK phone still)
Line cost $40/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,200

T-Mobile
Handset $200 after $800 trade in
Line cost $85/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,750

It's over a few years, but it's a pretty big chunk of change. I'm guessing I could probably sell my XR for a similar amount I could sell the AirPods/Apple+ code for. I also had to laugh the promotion is for a pair of AirPod Gen 2s, but they didn't even offer those when I went to checkout, only 3s which I'd have to pay more for.

Have you checked Apple’s trade in on your phone ? You could always just trade in directly at apple, buy the unlocked version of the 13 or 13 pro, and just pay the difference and be done with it.

And as I think noted, today you would also get a $100 gift card (think it’s $100 for an iPhone).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

Anyone got any info on what this may end up being? Elon Musk being involved makes me smell bullshit but I’m curious.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Satellite sucks and starlink also sucks. Oh, and lol it’s Musk.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I remain impressed how bad TMobile is at at provisioning when you order a new device through them and the new iPhones with eSIM do not disappoint.

Wasn't able to transfer the SIM from the old phone and the instructions they emailed didn't work but eventually stumbled my way through it and waiting the "up to 2 hours" it will take for activation.

Yeah, it’s a big reason I’m surprised that Apple really pushed eSIM this year. Verizon is the same way, it’s def wonky with eSIM activations still, and I think they needed at least another year.

Although it’s probably also one of those things where all 3 carriers weren’t going to push eSIM / fix bugs until they were forced too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Does there exist a 5G USB stick for T-mobile? I’ve scanned their website and unable to find anything above LTE. Curious to see if it’s available or just not a thing.

The sticks are mostly dead. You can plug up tr mobile hotspots directly to a computer and it functions the same way. So why make two devices, when the hotspot can replicate what the stick did ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I just ordered 3 tmobile sims to see if their stuff works on my LG G8X international phone. Might be ok, but my Samsung S10e which are verizon branded are prolly poo poo out of luck.. I have no idea but I will test.

The S10e should work fine on T-Mobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Really? Even verizon branded? I hope the G8X works since thats my favorite phone and being international, it has all available bands as far as I can tell.

[edit] I got into the service menu on the G8X and found Band 71 and tried it, and yeah the phone lost its verizon lte connection. This seems hopefuly.

Yeah , Samsung makes the same phone for the high end ones now, cdma is long dead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

So I lost a phone and ordered a new SIM card but I think because t mobile doesn’t pay the phone people unless they sell they just added a new line. Is this normal? Also instead of sending me a SIM card they sent me a package with a a slip of paper that said it was coming in a different package?

Yeah, I’m not T-Mobile , but that’s super weird, so I would call their customer care number and make sure A. You get your SIM card and B. That nothing was added to your bill.

Even if it’s “no cost,” poo poo should never be added to your account without making sure you are aware of it. Especially a line add.

It’s def possible they get commission, but that’s still dumb because A. One sale isn’t worth risking one’s job and B. Any sales have somewhere around a 6 month chargeback time period, so there’s no point on slamming an add, people will eventually figure it out, get angry call and cancel and you lose the money anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Bought a Tmobile S10e. Got it in, after loving with it for days, I come to find the god drat thing is a Sprint phone that is still locked to their network. Same BS as Verizon, must be used on said network for 60 days to get it unlocked.. which will never happen. They would not unlock it either after calling support. I hate cell phones.

Order a phone direct from T-Mobile and get whatever promo ? Sucks that it’s a 2 year contract, but they probably have promotions.

Or buy direct from Samsung ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Or how about not getting ripped off. I do not buy new phones ever. A nice 10e mint condition is about 140-150 bux. Perfect.

Ok sure, you don’t have to be an rear end in a top hat, I was trying to give you advice despite you ignoring it earlier.

you’re not necessarily wrong (although there’s more to it to that), that is cheap, but there’s always a price versus risk. The risk of buying a cheap used phone is issues like you have been running into. Sorry that the roll of the dice didn’t go your way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

T Mobile canceled the line they added after I called and sent out a new sim cause the sim they sent was obviously associated with the new line I didn't want. I don't even understand what they are doing. I used to call get an immediate pick up from an hourly employee. Now you get some outsourced roulette where maybe it's their first day maybe not. The second call the person was fine and knew how to do things.

The website is insufferable now too. Does anyone even look at these things its terrible. I just want to see the prices of new phones why is that so hard. They all sell for the same price.

T-Mobile claimed that merging with Sprint would increase competition, create more jobs and make it a better experience for customers.

Surprise surprise , T-Mobile has reduced head count since the merger, it’s less competition (especially because Dish is a mess and non factor) and obviously it is not a better experience.

It’s super depressing it was allowed to go through. Sprint was a failing company , so I guess there’s that, but it was still just blatantly not good for the average US consumer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if price isn’t a big deal the Inseego Pro is very good. The others are cheap and will likely crumble after a few years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

The thing is that it's not worth it for most people on grandfathered plans. My bill would go up by at least $600 a year. I can just buy a new iPhone every two years at MSRP for $1,200 if I wanted to and not switch.

Right, but a lot of general customers won’t realize this, and certainly won’t be presented in that way about it.

Obviously I’m biased, but T-Mobile’s general strategy for the last like, 7 years now has been to undercut on price and then slowly raise it. Most blatantly with saying the Sprint merger would keep prices low (and wouldn’t lead to job cuts which lol of course it did).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Oof, T-Force was the one remaining good customer service option they had and it looks like while not completely dead it has been pretty significantly cut. This doesn’t bode well:

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-suddenly-lays-off-over-two-thirds-of-their-t-force-support-staff/

“The changes come just a few months after the merger agreement terms expired, just as Sprint is being ended as a brand.”

Who could have ever seen this coming ?

Btw, Big Red is doing a major outsourcing too (which means ATT either already did or will soon do so too).

We had the last 5-7 years of phone price wars, but from the get go T-Mobile was pretty brazen that their goal was to capture market share and then raise prices / squeeze operations. It’s pretty sad but unsurprising that they got the merger to go through on promising “more jobs” when that never loving happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

heffray posted:

Got a text that my AutoPay discount will end next month unless I change the payment method from a credit card to a debit or bank account, probably because those fee rates are lower than credit card rates. I'm using an Amex with phone protection, which is effectively a better deal than paying T-Mobile for phone insurance: $50 deductible on up to 2 claims per year with no monthly cost. The only line I have with an AutoPay discount is a Home Internet $5 bonus, so losing that to get points and $0/mo insurance on the entire account is an easy call.

As a bit of context for cell phone insurance: T-Mobile moving to in house insurance (instead of using a 3rd party) was enough profit to offset all the other shipment/warranty/repair department expenses, affirming that cell phone insurance is a great deal for the company offering it, which means customers are paying in a lot more than they get back.

All I will say if you are understating it to say the least.

I don’t know all the ins and outs, but the one thing Sprint had was a robust repair and warranty department, so it is possible that helped them in the merger. Could or could not be relevant (your point is correct either way).

It really sucks but also really unsurprising to see T-Mobile start making a lot of anti consumer moves in the immediate months after they cleared the restrictions time frame of the Sprint merger. It’s incredible they got the merger pushed through on the concepts of “it’ll be better for customers” and “Dish will film in the slot of a 4th carrier,” both of which were blatant and obvious lies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

I'm paying about $200 a month for three phones with unlimited bandwidth, is this a good deal or should I be calling them to change it? I think I was grandfathered in with an older plan.

Hard to say without knowing details on what is adding to that $200 (like do you have phones on payment plans, insurance, etc?).

I don’t know T-Mobile plans, but Verizon 3 lines true unlimited is $165 before tax, $180 after tax, so I would def check on your plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Remember when TMob's base plans were $50/mo? That was nice. :smith:

It’s almost like they lowered prices for a bit to sound like they cared for the common people so they could later merge with sprint and raise prices when there’s no competition or reason to keep prices down.

I do remember and it still sucks it happened the way it did.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

Most of T-Mobile's plans are inclusive of taxes and fees, so they can't just tack on an extra fee like AT&T and Verizon do to raise prices after the fact.

Unless they decide to start adding tax and fees lol.

Meme of Darth Vader pray I don’t alter the deal further here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah I don't even want Netflix. Give me a plan without all these stupid loving freebies I won't even use :argh:

Be careful what you wish for, other carriers took this input and re rolled out plans at the same price but with no freebies lol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can give them an account to keep the autopay, but then log in and pay manually via credit card.

If it’s like the other carriers, they’ll have it programmed where if you pay with a credit card manually it’ll drop the discount for the month.

It is one of my least favorite policies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have it pointed at a savings account with next to nothing in it, that nothing else has access to.

I've been paying it manually via CC for a few months now and the discount still comes through on the bill.

Hey, if they don’t ding you more power to you. I know VZ def will.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Who could have predicted that allowing them to eat a competitor and reduce the competition form 4 to 3 would result in higher prices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

god this blows posted:

Do you still work for Verizon, I'm curious about their current plans.

I do, but not in a customer facing role. If you PM me I can have a co worker give you a call, or just call the sales number at (800) 256-4646

Maneki Neko posted:

That's a weird way of saying MORE JOBS AND LOWER PRICES, which obviously is the most likely outcome of a merger.

lol.

My favorite was the obvious store consolidations, which they were able to close out a whole bunch of stores even before the 3 year terms of the merger were over with.