Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
This might be the hardest hypothetical car question I've asked myself, and I'm interested in the forum's tastes. I'll let you define classic as you see fit, just remember to take into account the degrees of reliability, safety, economy, etc that you're comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I would want it to be something charismatic to drive, and entertaining. I think the obvious answer for a DD would be the BMW M1, but I could also see the DeTomaso Pantera. Both are fun, interesting cars, both still have decent parts availability and both were reasonably reliable considering their cohorts. While I'd want to have an original V8 Vantage or a Countach, I imagine insuring/finding parts/keeping it running would become a serious liability. You can throw in $muscle_car there too but I think as original, as-is cars go that's the direction I would go.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
'70 442 W30. :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jensen FF.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Part of me would love a mid to late 60s muscle car. Not particularly picky which one it would be, though I do tend to lean toward GMs of that era.

The other part of me would love a 2 door Mercedes W111. I'd need a top hat and a monocle though.

There's always the 70s rape vans too. :pedo: But I'm pretty sure my neighbors would lynch me if I parked a shaggin wagon out front.

One of my neighbors has a beautiful 59 Bel Air that he drives frequently (a few times a week, at the least). Has a few modern upgrades (a/c, power windows). I need to ask him what's hiding under the hood next time I see him.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 11, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Define Classic.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I DD a 1972 MGB for the past year or so. Good fun, and very reliable, but I'd prefer something a little less rust-prone.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Maserati Quattroporte III, suits my masochist tendencies and lends more credibility to me saying "the car won't start" if I can't be bothered going out in the snow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Define Classic.
Production started before you got your licence, or minimum 20 years. I find that if you ask people what the newest car they'd consider a classic is, it tends to float around those two maxims.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had this huge tirade written up about how "classic" cars can't be post-92 for imports, and examples based on how a 92 Civic or 91 Integra couldn't be considered a classic simply because they were an incredibly common car.

... then realized that Civics and Integras were very much the icon of the 90s and 00s, and incredibly common. And 60s/70s Camaros were incredibly common for their era, and then it became a lot of :350: and :effort: :sigh:

My own definition of "classic", for domestics (US) is "passenger car that has a carb from the factory". For imports, it's generally "mid 80s or older". Neither of my 88 Accords could ever be considered "classic" in any form except "ancient". Maybe the pop-up headlights. Depending on trim, an 88 could be a 2 bbl carb or MPFI!

It's depressing when you get a sudden realization that cars much younger than you are "classic".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 11, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I already daily drive an E30 or two :smugdog:

But really, it'd be some sort of air cooled Porsche or E34 M5.

*On further thought, the only choice is 3.0 CSL.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 11, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
1953 Cadillac Eldorado

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Production started before you got your licence

That's overly relative though, since for me it would make my Pontiac Vibe (newest car I've ever owned) a classic. I got my license in '06.
I think for the purpose of this thread the definition should be old enough to be impractical- though that is nearly as relative/subjective as the above I think it fits the spirit of the question best. That or what STR said. If I had to put a specific date down I'd say pre-'86 for American cars ('85 was the year GM changed everything, Ford and Chrysler weren't far off from that) and pre-'88 for Japanese stuff (main reason isn't mechanical but the fact that everything still had the sharp body lines and general '80s Japanese look about them until about '88). I know literally nothing about European cars so I'm not even going to guess on that one.

Anyways I'm a heavy duty mechanic so the poo poo that gets stuck to me over the course of the day precludes me from picking something high on the 'priceless relic' scale, I've already ruined the interior on the aforementioned Vibe. In order of preference I'd go with an early MKIII Supra, Third gen Hilux (although legroom is an issue on those for me), '80-'82 Cougar, '82-'86 Pulsar NX, '75-'79 Skylark, or one of the Vega/Monza based cars (probably a Skyhawk).
Edit: Maybe a late-2G Camaro if I could swap in an engine that made decent MPG without losing much power.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 11, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A mint condition 240z.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
20 years is a good rule of thumb. The carb thing is dumb because a GNX is a classic and doesn't have one. A ZR-1 C4 'Vette is a classic, no carb. There's no way an early 00's WS6 Pontiac isn't a classic, either, so it's kind of subjective. 20 years gives a good cutoff for newer cars that might be classics one day, yet expands every year to include new cars. Kinda like how classic rock stations play Pearl Jam now.

If I had to DD a classic I'd want parts availability, simplicity, and heaps of style. So....

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 11, 2014

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
20 years ago we had this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Obviously I meant that after 20 years every car built becomes a collectible. Obviously.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

blk posted:

This might be the hardest hypothetical car question I've asked myself, and I'm interested in the forum's tastes. I'll let you define classic as you see fit, just remember to take into account the degrees of reliability, safety, economy, etc that you're comfortable with.

I only drive classics, or at least old cars, depending on your definition. For me it's about a reliable small block, comfortable seats and a halfway decent radio with some good tunes. Velour seats, hood ornaments and ashtrays a plus.

[edit] Re-read OP, removed useless info
My credentials:

Current DD: 1977 Mercury Cougar

Other DD's:

1963 Chevy Impala (and my buddy DD's the 1970 Camaro SS)

1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegeance

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 11, 2014

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Mercedes 280SL (W113)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Lightbulb Out posted:

E30 M3

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Are we the same person because this was literally my exact thought process down to the cars :stare:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
1973 BMW 2002Tii, round lights, euro bumpers, flush turns, 13" BBS. Malaga red. Black recaro interior. Hidden aux-in with modern speakers and a single 10" in the trunk.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tommychu posted:

That's overly relative though, since for me it would make my Pontiac Vibe (newest car I've ever owned) a classic. I got my license in '06.
That was kind of my point, it is relative. My dad is 65, and so to him seventies-onwards stuff is often just "old" rather than classic. Then you have the dull-as-ditchwater crap that, while it seems weird to call them classic, get to the point where you hardly ever see one anymore, and so a really clean one almost earns its stripes simply by not being dead yet.

I wouldn't call a mk1 Ford Mondeo "classic" per se, but a completely mint 4x4 one? Yeah, that's interesting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I DD'ed my 73 lincoln for a couple weeks before winter hit. Even with the size of the car, it was pretty enjoyable. the 8mpg average kinda sucked, but coming from the 12mpg truck it didn't bother me all that much.

I'd love to swap my 7.3 powerstroke into it for the endless torque and 20 MPG, but it's really too nice of a car to ruin. I've considered getting a Holley terminator EFI system for it to get something that resembles livable fuel economy so i could do some longer road trips with it, but it's hard to justify putting $3000 into a $2250 car that runs amazingly as is. On the other hand, it wouldn't take much of an improvement in economy to pay for it.

I would live to drive a Mercedes 560 SEC AMG with a modern drivetrain, but i can't see it happening any time soon. There was one for sale here probably 5 years ago for $8900, and i kick myself every day for not buying it.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'd DD a 1968 El Camino SS with a 454 and empty out my bank account on rear tires and gas. If you have a muscle truck you can't not do burnouts everywhere, it's unamerican.

Second choice would be an original mini but I think I'm a bit tall for that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Samu posted:

You'd be surprised. You sit quite bow-legged in them. Getting out's a bit of a bugger though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wow, narrowing down to one is not easy. I think all practicality aside a Datsun 510, maybe even the wagon would be amazing and I have every intention of living this dream. A BMW E9 of sorts would also be just classy everywhere you went and I don't think I would ever tire of driving. I think a European roadster would also be fun to have, something like a sunbeam tiger!
In this false reality these cars are mint and completely restored/rust free.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If we're talking modern classics I'd like to import a 190E 2.5-16 Evo II. replace the entire fuse system and then megaquirt it to get rid of that horrible injection system

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Citroën SM

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I hope to DD this guy when I get it fixed up and running better. I don't know if it counts as a classic but it's an 87 and it's a Porsche. Not aircooled obviously. My dad DD's his original VW bug that he bought in Germany in 67' or about that time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noxious fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 11, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Samu posted:

I'd DD a 1968 El Camino SS with a 454 and empty out my bank account on rear tires and gas. If you have a muscle truck you can't not do burnouts everywhere, it's unamerican.

I drive a classic truck with some muscle and this is correct. I daily it in the summer but if I had to choose a classic to daily it would be an 84-85 Rx7. I DDed an 84 for years when I was a lot younger and it was great.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Unfortunately where I live road salt would kill any truly DD'ed classic in a handful of years; I just couldn't do that.

If I could make the salt and winter disappear, probably an E9 3.0CS (not a CSL, those are a bit too racecar for a DD) or a 300SL Gullwing.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 11, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

I like this mans thinking. E34 M5. Still modern enough to hold its own against other cars, but old enough to carry the "cool" factor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

This.

gently caress I miss owning a hearse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I like this mans thinking. E34 M5. Still modern enough to hold its own against other cars, but old enough to carry the "cool" factor.

Incorrect. You don't want an E34 M5, you wan't an E34 540i with a six speed manual, bilsteins, H&R's and every single bush and mounting replaced with nolathane.

I have a friend with that exact car and it is magical and easily blitzes factory e34 m5's.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Don't care if it's a "good" model or not. I like the looks exterior and interior. It's on their site for 35,900 and if I had the money, I'd buy it and DD the poo poo out of it in a heartbeat:
1978 Ferrari 308 308GT4 Ebay listingDealer site listing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If the definition is 20 years or older then for me it's a Skyline R32 GT-R. Or an FD RX-7, since I guess those are 20 years old now too :gonk:

e: NSX is 20+ years old now too, god damnit. So any of those three

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I consider "classic" to be 1979 and older. I'm currently DDing a '65 Impala and recently it was a '60 F100, but if I could choose a fantasy it would probably be a '71 AMX. Not nearly as racy as this one, but you get the idea:

On the opposite end of things, I'd really like a '64 Galaxie 500 XL, 390 or 427, 4-speed. It would be such a sweet cruiser.

• Locked thread