Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

I already do :chord:

But, if I had to choose another, It'd be a Datsun 240/280. They just look so incredibly awesome and seem like an absolute blast to drive.

Something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
either

or

InitialDave posted:

Production started before you got your licence, or minimum 20 years. I find that if you ask people what the newest car they'd consider a classic is, it tends to float around those two maxims.

this is a weird definition of "classic" since my volvos 240 and 940 both fit. I guess I DD a classic then?

Awaiting the Light by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 11, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PhoenixWing posted:

I already do :chord:

But, if I had to choose another, It'd be a Datsun 240/280. They just look so incredibly awesome and seem like an absolute blast to drive.

Oh my god :swoon:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Something between 1929-1931, '30 Cadillac V16 probably. There are some smaller marques i like also but the Cadillac V16 cars are a thing of beauty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd take the Corvette conversion too, gently caress it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

Incorrect. You don't want an E34 M5, you wan't an E34 540i with a six speed manual, bilsteins, H&R's and every single bush and mounting replaced with nolathane.

I have a friend with that exact car and it is magical and easily blitzes factory e34 m5's.
You seem to be having trouble spelling "Lotus Carlton".

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Slavvy posted:

Incorrect. You don't want an E34 M5, you wan't an E34 540i with a six speed manual, bilsteins, H&R's and every single bush and mounting replaced with nolathane.

I have a friend with that exact car and it is magical and easily blitzes factory e34 m5's.

540s aren't faster than B38s. The M60 doesn't sound as good either.

I would have the touring with the S38B38. This colour.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 12, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're faster if you have the factory LSD with gearing from a 520i swapped on. It's something ridiculous like 3.3:1. Also sounds pretty phenomenal with all the factory mufflers cut out. The s38B38 is also pretty desperately unreliable compared to the 3.5 and is completely strung-out performance-wise. An m60 can be frankenmotored with an m62, or have a turbo/blower stuck on.

Also that colour is called Homax Purple :v:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Hard choice, but considering I'm too tall for most classic supercars probably have to go with a 240ZG

Or an Espada

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I love the classic Beetles, so I'd probably go with one of those. Not fast, not powerful, not big, not great on the handling, but they're awesome. Also my uncle has two of them, so I might try to pilfer one and turn it into my own little Love Bug at some point.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

I'd want a PROPER piece of fine British engineering to battle with every day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I would need cameras at every corner because there's no way I wouldn't smash into everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would need cameras at every corner because there's no way I wouldn't smash into everything.

Very very high on my list as well.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Mister Kingdom posted:

'MURICAH: THE CAR

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I can never answer these questions. Every time I try and digure out what my "dream car" would be, I end up with automotive ADD and can't decide. One week I want a Grand National, then a 63 riviera, but that reminds me of the 63 corvette, and after a while I somehow end up comparing an NSX with a Willys Jeepster.

My current choice would be an AMC AMX, preferably in big bad green. Something like this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Raluek posted:

I consider "classic" to be 1979 and older. I'm currently DDing a '65 Impala and recently it was a '60 F100, but if I could choose a fantasy it would probably be a '71 AMX. Not nearly as racy as this one, but you get the idea:

On the opposite end of things, I'd really like a '64 Galaxie 500 XL, 390 or 427, 4-speed. It would be such a sweet cruiser.

Look above, that's an AMX, haha.

This one is a Javelin.

e- aww gently caress I forgot the 71's were AMX's. Oh well, I'll leave my stupidity for mocking.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I saw someone parallel parking one of these downtown, he made it in one. I applauded as I passed, but I don't think he noticed.

VikingSkull posted:

Look above, that's an AMX, haha.

This one is a Javelin.

The later ('71+) AMXs were packages on top of the Javelin, not separate bodies like the early ones.

E: Oh, yeah, you got it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
There were Javelins, AMXs, and AMX Javelins. The 68-70 AMX was a shortened Javelin (chopped some length out of the middle to make it a 2 seater), and in the second generation the AMX was something like a performance trim line for the Javelin. The line between them was always kind of blurry.

I actually have a 71 (or maybe 72, can't remember) AMX Javelin in my garage at the moment, plus a mountain of parts. My brother bought it after coming back from Afghanistan, then got stationed in Alaska so he couldn't finish working on it. Every time I see it I'm surprised how big it really is.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I could happily live with a first-gen Cougar.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Third gen Nova. Crappy economy car when new meant that there were tons of spares (including body spares, so no shortage of patch panels available today). Lots of upgrades too. The years have been kind to it and the Barrett-Jackson halo has imbued even the lovely base models with bad-rear end muscle car appeal with some strategic work.

Been looking for a nice-ish Nova for awhile because I feel like it's the last affordable way onto the 60s-70s Chevy train without settling for a four door.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

As Nero Danced posted:

There were Javelins, AMXs, and AMX Javelins. The 68-70 AMX was a shortened Javelin (chopped some length out of the middle to make it a 2 seater), and in the second generation the AMX was something like a performance trim line for the Javelin. The line between them was always kind of blurry.

I actually have a 71 (or maybe 72, can't remember) AMX Javelin in my garage at the moment, plus a mountain of parts. My brother bought it after coming back from Afghanistan, then got stationed in Alaska so he couldn't finish working on it. Every time I see it I'm surprised how big it really is.

Is that the black one I've seen on here before? I knew we had one hiding around here somewhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I could happily live with a first-gen Cougar.

Man my dad had a '70 Eliminator I still miss even though he sold it on my parent's 30th wedding anniversary to buy my mom 'the diamond ring she always deserved' and also it was a fantastic money pit.

Flowmasters, mild cam, edelbrock heads and intake with roller rockers on a 351C 4V :awesome:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Raluek posted:

Is that the black one I've seen on here before? I knew we had one hiding around here somewhere.

No, mine's an ugly primer color, and desperately needs paint. If/when I have the time, money and the blessing to work on it for my brother I might post some pictures, but right now it isn't very photogenic.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
'95 Renault Safrane Baccara BiTurbo Quadra in metallic persian red.

Sadly they were the equivalent of 80k euro when they were sold from '94 to '96, so they're few and far between.

e: derp, posting pictures is hard...

Deedle fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 12, 2014

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
1967 Chevelle SS 396

What's gas mileage? :allears: :circlefap: :worship:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 12, 2014

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Root Bear posted:

1967 Chevelle SS 396

I was gonna go with the Nova idea but I think this is what I need.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Root Bear posted:

1967 Chevelle SS 396

You're off by a year ;)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Third gen Nova. Crappy economy car when new meant that there were tons of spares (including body spares, so no shortage of patch panels available today). Lots of upgrades too. The years have been kind to it and the Barrett-Jackson halo has imbued even the lovely base models with bad-rear end muscle car appeal with some strategic work.

A friend of mine had a 73 Nova coupe (way, way, way long ago - early 90s).

It was pretty clean - had a new interior when he got it, original paint, working a/c, and enough engine under the hood to run high 12s (when it could get traction). It was all too willing to wrap itself around the nearest trees or poles though - it was terrifying to drive in the rain, and only scary to drive on dry roads.

It was a DD for him for about a year. Unfortunately, it was originally a V6 car, and while the previous owner threw buckets of money at the drivetrain, he didn't spend anything on subframe bracing.

I wouldn't mind having a car like that (particularly a liftback version), but I'd make drat sure I spent a bit on whatever bracing it took to keep it from trying to twist itself into a pretzel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
First gen Mustang. Most beautiful car ever made.

Image from Wikipedia.

I wouldn't mind it being resto-modded or even a complete reproduction.

Lots of other good suggestions in this thread like the 84-85 RX-7 and various classic Mercedes.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
I did daily drive this classic for 5 years. 1965 Malibu SS Convertible. The trunk floor was swiss cheese so I glued in a rubber truck bed mat cut to fit and I bypassed the heater core when it went out and it had electrical gremlins, but I drove it rain or shine, 105 degrees or 25 degrees. Until I totaled it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
Uploaded file didn't work, trying as a gif. Only pic I have of it.

Still not working, uploaded to imgur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In order of sensibleness, from most to least: Honda/Acura NSX, Porsche 928, 1965 Pontiac GTO, or Lotus Carlton.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Raluek posted:

You're off by a year ;)

I'll take a '66 just the same. :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Noxious posted:

I hope to DD this guy when I get it fixed up and running better. I don't know if it counts as a classic but it's an 87 and it's a Porsche. Not aircooled obviously.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I have a hard time calling something with fuel injection, air bags, power windows, power seats, power door locks, air, heated seats/mirrors/windows/back glass, cruise control and ABS a "classic."

I daily drive a 944. I consider it cheap fun that's reasonably good on fuel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
As much as I want to call my '86 Celica GT-S a classic, I know it will probably never get that recognition.

I miss driving my FB RX-7 though, and those are definitely a classic Japanese sports car that I would love to DD again. Someday...

True classic 'Murrica though? gently caress, give me a '71 Plymouth Roadrunner and I could die smiling.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
gently caress! All the good ones have been nabbed! Would an Audi S2 Coupe be too recent?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

gently caress! All the good ones have been nabbed! Would an Audi S2 Coupe be too recent?

I missed out on a nice urS4 earlier this month; with the features that thing has I'd have a hard time arguing any 5-cylinder Audi would not be a perfect daily driver. They will nickel and dime you though.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Rover SD1 Vitesse.

1. Take out the standard 190HP 3.5L version and drop in a 400HP 5.2L supercharged version of the Rover V8.

2. Rebuild the suspension with nolathane bushes, lower it 30mm, fit twin solid sway bars and the bilstein shocks.

3. Drive everywhere sideways in a mobile earthquake with a large smile.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

You're off by a year ;)

'66 was by far the best looking front end IMO.
I had an opportunity to pick up a '66 Chevelle wagon as my first car but I'm kinda glad that deal fell through- I still don't have a garage to this day and 16-year-old me would have thoroughly ruined the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
Volvo 122 wagon on bags w/sick rear end rims.

Really any old Volvo wagon.

Don't DD a Porsche... I've seen the outcome of that and it isn't pretty. Then again I live in the midwest so if you don't know what snow and salt is then I guess go for it.

• Locked thread