Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

Maybe it's an age thing, but I have a hard time calling something with fuel injection, air bags, power windows, power seats, power door locks, air, heated seats/mirrors/windows/back glass, cruise control and ABS a "classic."

I daily drive a 944. I consider it cheap fun that's reasonably good on fuel.

So the amount of suffering is what determines classic status? Because there is no way this thing is a classic. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I missed out on a nice urS4 earlier this month; with the features that thing has I'd have a hard time arguing any 5-cylinder Audi would not be a perfect daily driver. They will nickel and dime you though.

Fortunately, this page exists:
http://store.034motorsport.com/

Besides, I'd be more likely to get the thing running like this as opposed to keeping it stock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvaBloPZDBs

exempt
Dec 10, 2006
For me it'd have to be a 1956 Lincoln Continental Mk. II. Preferably with the original sheepskin cover.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I need to buy a fuel pressure regulator and fix/replace the brake master cylinder, and then I could in theory DD my '87 GN (until something else breaks)

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Used to lust after these when I were a lad rather than 308's, 911's etc. Not sure why.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clearly your parents didn't love you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

So the amount of suffering is what determines classic status? Because there is no way this thing is a classic. . .

It's certainly not the amount of suffering full stop. You've pointed out the obvious: poverty spec poo poo still has none of this. The other relevant factor for determination would have to include some sort of collectable status/desirability. Otherwise it's just an old car.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I like this idea.

I initially thought I'd want an old M3, M5, 911 or 944, but the realist in me knows that I'd still want a project car even with one of those as a DD. Unless the project was ultra reliable, but that's doubtful. I think that the best answer for me would be an AE86. Fun, small, cheap parts, good MPG, and easy to repair. Not as comfortable, fast or powerful as the Germans, but replacement seats and some seat covers with seat heaters would go a long way.

The big downside will be safety, I'd almost want to cage it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Colonel Sanders posted:

Some cars don't really require suffering. Most of these cars are hitting their 30th and 50th birthday soon, and have lots of staying power. That speaks volumes in terms of classics that people want to keep on the road.

You don't see people trying to keep an old Pontiac Parrisene on the road.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

VelociBacon posted:

A mint condition 240z.

Same here :D. Such a pretty car.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Something a bit like this, not necessarily a Monte Carlo. Any babied body-on-frame American sedan driven by Grandma to church every Sunday would do. Rip out whatever asthmatic smog-era boat anchor it came with and tune into the sweet sound of skeletons falling down a flight of stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9--ISeNexM

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Holy cow I have never seen a more Merica video in my life..:911:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'd choose a Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird because I have a micropenis.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd start with a 70s Jeep J20 Honcho package, add a 6bta5.9 motor, nv4500 transmission, np241 transfer case, 90s-00s Ford E350 rearend, 80s Ford F350 frontend, some sort of dumb tires, and a Jeep FSJ Gladiator grille.

I keep an eye on the market for all of these parts and that vehicle. You know, just in case :ninja: I swear I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime.

Also, holy gently caress, that Monte Carlo. :aaaaa:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I suppose "classic" varies, but i honestly think i do daily drive a classic. 40 miles a day.

If you mean "Older classic" something like an 80s Regal T type, or even older a second generation camaro would be nice as well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If we're defining cars this new as classics I'll take a McLaren F1.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Production started before you got your licence, or minimum 20 years. I find that if you ask people what the newest car they'd consider a classic is, it tends to float around those two maxims.

Then where does a Impreza 22B fall? It's to me a true classic and I'll argue to death that it deserves to be called such. So there's my answer, the classic I would DD is a 22B.

Otherwsie Ferrari F40.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
70's Era Jeep J20
or a 70's era Wagoneer with the AMC 401 and a/c.

i'd just undercoat the hell out of it to prevent it from rusting.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can't repeat the 2002, 3.0 CS, M1 or Pantera, and I would never be able to afford a 300SL, so:

Surprised nobody's chosen a DS yet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
This thread has made me realise my car is either 20 or 21 years old now, hopefully I can keep it 5eva (thats more than 4eva) and it becomes a classic.

First choice would be an RS1800 or a slanty nose RS2000

Probably more realistic would be a Sierra Sapphy cossie 2wd obviously :newlol:

Most of my uncles were mechanics and they ended up owning pretty much every hot ford through the 80s to the 90s and ended up selling them for a pittance. God knows how much a decent rs1800 costs now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bald and fail II posted:

This thread has made me realise my car is either 20 or 21 years old now, hopefully I can keep it 5eva (thats more than 4eva) and it becomes a classic.

First choice would be an RS1800 or a slanty nose RS2000

Can I change my choice? There used to be a guy on SpecialStage who would import rally-ized versions of these for North American rally but I don't see his ad anymore.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

this, but in blue.

THEN I'd buy a shitload of talc, press it into bricks, wrap each brick in cellophane.

stick a couple of the bricks into a proper briefcase and leave it on the backseat

Comedy is sure to ensue.

Super-masochistic option would be a Citroen SM, of similar vintage

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bald and fail II posted:

God knows how much a decent rs1800 costs now.
More. Whatever you're thinking, plus more.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I daily drive a Classic. A 1991 Range Rover Classic.

Here it is towing the 90 before I sold it last year.

Ok, when it's running I daily drive it. Otherwise it's the '61 Thunderbird which I think qualifies as classic also.

My newest car is 24 years old.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

13 INCH DICK posted:

1973 BMW 2002Tii, round lights, euro bumpers, flush turns, 13" BBS. Malaga red. Black recaro interior. Hidden aux-in with modern speakers and a single 10" in the trunk.

I like this, but I'd really love a Taiga Green 2002 with rectangle lights.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kill-9 posted:

61 Thunderbird which I think qualifies as classic also.

My newest car is 24 years old.

Holy poo poo, was there ever a thread on this and do you have a link?

Also, I just realized that even my newest car (that I own personally, anyway) is 18 years old. It's just a 1996, when did that become so long ago?

E: Holy shitsnacks that means the Celica is almost 30 (bought it just after it turned 21). gently caress. gently caress.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 13, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah my lovely DD is 16 years old, my fun crapcan is 23, next project is 26, and the huge moneypit is 56...

And the only things I really want to add to the fleet went out of production in 1988 (J20), 1969 (M715), and sometime in the late 70s (M816).

Newest thing I owned was the 01 Dodge that I scrapped. gently caress that thing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo, was there ever a thread on this and do you have a link?

I never did a thread on it. I picked it up a couple years ago pretty cheaply after it had been sitting in a garage for 20 years. Got her running smoothly, fixed the electrics(no lights, non-working top, no horn, etc) and started driving. There's a lot more to be done but it's a really good 20 footer at this point.

The engine is getting very long in the tooth and I'm getting a lot of blow-by so I'll have to be tearing it down some time soon. There's a bit of rust around the trunk area that'll need to get addressed in the next few years. Also, the interior is shot to hell from a really bad 'restoration' from before it was put in storage. Once I really start taking it apart it'll be time for a thread.

There's more pics of it here if you're interested. http://imgur.com/a/aEcTd

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kill-9 posted:

I never did a thread on it. I picked it up a couple years ago pretty cheaply after it had been sitting in a garage for 20 years. Got her running smoothly, fixed the electrics(no lights, non-working top, no horn, etc) and started driving. There's a lot more to be done but it's a really good 20 footer at this point.

The engine is getting very long in the tooth and I'm getting a lot of blow-by so I'll have to be tearing it down some time soon. There's a bit of rust around the trunk area that'll need to get addressed in the next few years. Also, the interior is shot to hell from a really bad 'restoration' from before it was put in storage. Once I really start taking it apart it'll be time for a thread.

Wow, I can't wait for the thread, it looks really good already. I love the poo poo out of the color combination, that color purple has always been one of my favorites on pretty much any car, but the chrome and white interior really do it justice.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I missed out on a nice urS4 earlier this month; with the features that thing has I'd have a hard time arguing any 5-cylinder Audi would not be a perfect daily driver. They will nickel and dime you though.

I have an urs6, and it's fantastic. Truth on the nickel and dime thing, my hydraulic system just developed a leak and the drivers side door won't unlock sometimes. If we can call that a classic, then both my summer(240z) and winter cars are classics.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Kill-9 posted:

20 footer or not, that is loving gorgeous. I would love to drive something like that to work every day. To hell with gas mileage. I just, unfh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Count me in the "daily drove my classic" crowd. My '70 GMC was my first car, and I put roughly 50,000 miles on it over the five years or so it filled that role.

The thing that worries me most about DDing a classic, though, is insurance / wrecks / theft. Insurance that will let you use it as a daily driver tends to also be insurance that sees "old car = worthless car". Hagery and the like will properly protect your vehicle, but at the expense of no longer allowing it to be your daily driver.

I'd rather be able to drive my truck less, than not at all because someone stole it, so I've gone the Hagerty route with more modern daily drivers, starting with when I blew up the 700R4; the GMC hasn't been a daily by any stretch since the LS1 got swapped in, even though it's probably better suited to it now than ever before.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 for me.
There's a certain appeal to a big stodgy German yacht that will boil the tires on command and top out around 150.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

th vwls hv scpd posted:

20 footer or not, that is loving gorgeous. I would love to drive something like that to work every day. To hell with gas mileage. I just, unfh.

I generally drive it to work once or so a week. It never fails to get thumbs up and quick beeps from horns. You can't be shy rolling in a polished up, chromed out classic. Lots of stories from people while sitting at lights about how their uncle had one when they were growing up and how many good times they had in it.

Gas mileage is sub 10MPG, maybe 8MPG. I don't really pay attention. I fill it up every 6-8 weeks and enjoy it for what it is. I know it needs some substantial work but the people smiling as we drive by don't know that. I'm my car's harshest critic.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

1959 Ferrari California 250 GT (with US bumpers just in case of some parallel parking issues). Easy to work on, parts might be hard to get, but if you already own one, you can just get a machine shop to make it. Drive it everywhere, in the rain, in the snow, give people heart attacks.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Octopus Magic posted:

1959 Ferrari California 250 GT (with US bumpers just in case of some parallel parking issues). Easy to work on, parts might be hard to get, but if you already own one, you can just get a machine shop to make it. Drive it everywhere, in the rain, in the snow, give people heart attacks.

Ohh, Yeah

Chick

Chick-a-Chick-a

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

No question
61-63 Lincoln Continental

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I already dd a classic, that w124 wagon. I love it, and would love more old benzes.

But, I would very much like a Lancia delta, all problems that come with them. And also a Renault Dauphine, because I love slow cars.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If gas was free I'd cruise in one of those early 70's caddys with the 500cu engine. I bet they were awesome brand new. That or a bandit trans am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

As a bit of a cross post from the resolutions thread, doing exactly this, later this year. Importing something old, US, and driving it every single day, rain hail shine, I don't care.

I'm narrowing down the list and so far these three models are my 'if I can't find anything else and eventually just say gently caress it' picks, since they appear to be in abundance everytime I decide to search the import sites.

70's Nova because I love big, loud, obnoxious argy bargey cars.

'78 Trans Am in this colour because just look at it goddamn.

Plymouth Duster because they are rad as hell.

• Locked thread