Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Leroy Diplowski posted:

volvo 240. Every day.

I like how they only attacked Ford...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

11BulletCatcher posted:

I like how they only attacked Ford...

You're about to feel the wrath of pontiac fans

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

AHEM!

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

eh, firebirds don't count as cars... where's th velour seats?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leroy Diplowski posted:

volvo 240. Every day.

This must be a universe where Japanese cars and things powered by SBCs and 3800s don't exist.

G-bodies are weird; they are either in excellent shape or look like they have been driven through a lake + off a cliff several times. There does not seem to be any in average shape. Still see 'em semi-frequently though.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 25, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hey :mad:

I'll have you know my first car (and DD) was a '72 four-door. I've got a '71 in my garage now. It's just more to love...

My first car was a 77 four-door.

In that generation, the sedan looked better than the coupe, because the coupe was awkward as gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

VideoTapir posted:

My first car was a 77 four-door.

In that generation, the sedan looked better than the coupe, because the coupe was awkward as gently caress.

See I've always loved the Disco Nova coupes but dislike the sedans. I'd DD the hell out of a coupe with a nice 5 speed behind anything but the stock engine.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

:arghfist::shepicide:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 25, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Since when is a 90s Grand Am a classic? :v:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Terrible Robot posted:

See I've always loved the Disco Nova coupes but dislike the sedans. I'd DD the hell out of a coupe with a nice 5 speed behind anything but the stock engine.

I cannot get on board with that rear side window, that C pillar, or anything else between the door and the trunk.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mercedes Benz 600. gently caress you and get out of the way of my German land barge.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Obvious answer:

Relatively reliable, relatively civilised, obtainable parts etc.

Current preference answer:

One slow, one fast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I daily drive a 99 Deville so it's a couple years away from counting. And I still plan to be driving it in 2018. :colbert:

Even if I got my 65 Deville to a good condition it's a convertible and I live in the NE so that wouldn't be a happening thing.

I think maybe an early 80s Seville would be good. There's a sweet spot with them for a certain year where the engine has decent power for the era as they are coming out of the 70s and have figured out how to build more efficient compliant cars. But they're still fairly long for an 80s car. The modern conveniences and safety features would make it much better than a 60s car, and I dig the bustleback.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

animeliker posted:

This must be a universe where Japanese cars and things powered by SBCs and 3800s don't exist.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/54202062?from=en-us_msnhp#54202062

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYUZOlclSo

Take that, Volvo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Checkmate :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I figured maybe an OTR heavy truck had broken that record, and one has. There's a 3+ million mile tractor trailer out there too. It's also a Volvo.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Up until my accident a few months back, I daily drove a 1964 Impala (It was actually my only car that wasn't a non-mobile project car). And I will be doing the exact same very soon. I don't see the point in owning any car if it is gonna sit in the garage.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

kastein posted:

I figured maybe an OTR heavy truck had broken that record, and one has. There's a 3+ million mile tractor trailer out there too. It's also a Volvo.

SONOFABITCH!

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Root Bear posted:

1967 Chevelle SS 396

What's gas mileage? :allears: :circlefap: :worship:

That is my hands down second favorite classic car (After a 1964 Impala of course), and I will own one some day. My brother had a black '67 396 SS, and that was one of the cars that always stuck with me. And we had probably over 100 muscle cars growing up (Dad bought/sold/fixed them up for extra income).

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

I'm not gay, but I would fully let that car penetrate me.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

volvo 240. Every day.

Well if that counts then I already do this. Not necessarily because it's a 'classic' but I'm just cheap and maintaining it is an order of magnitude cheaper than a car payment. It's also pretty drat comfortable.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

echoplex posted:

Obvious answer:

Relatively reliable, relatively civilised, obtainable parts etc.

Current preference answer:

One slow, one fast.

Those were all my runners up. We have similar tastes. Do you own a Delorean?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are there Delorean owners out there who just hate BTTF? The only local one we have put a flux capaciter into his and talks about wanting to do a full conversion.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I love Deloreans, like BTTF, hate the Delorean BTTF connection. I love the car for its styling, gullwing doors and identity as an American automotive startup (a la Tucker or Tesla), even if it is an absolute turd to drive. I've often considered saving for one but am put off by the inevitable BTTF comments I'd get at every turn from every observer. If I got people coming up to me wanting to talk about Giugiaro, I'd feel a lot different.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ya but that's in kilometers, so who really knows how far that is? Might be like 40 miles or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

I love Deloreans, like BTTF, hate the Delorean BTTF connection. I love the car for its styling, gullwing doors and identity as an American automotive startup (a la Tucker or Tesla), even if it is an absolute turd to drive. I've often considered saving for one but am put off by the inevitable BTTF comments I'd get at every turn from every observer. If I got people coming up to me wanting to talk about Giugiaro, I'd feel a lot different.

This. Despite being a bit of a dog mechanically, the styling is phenomenal and it's kind of a curse that it will forever be "THE CAR FROM BACK TO THE FUTURE OH MAH GAWD!!" instead of one of the design triumphs of an era.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

This. Despite being a bit of a dog mechanically, the styling is phenomenal and it's kind of a curse that it will forever be "THE CAR FROM BACK TO THE FUTURE OH MAH GAWD!!" instead of one of the design triumphs of an era.

I love the direction Matt Farah is going with his. No stupid BTTF crap, just a nice clean DeLorean with the suspension sorted, engine nicely tuned and everything done the way the car should have come from the factory.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

blk posted:

Those were all my runners up. We have similar tastes. Do you own a Delorean?

Nope. I decided against buying a project one for the second time last month as I've wanted one since I was a kid, but I want it to be 'right' when I get it. It's probably not very AI to say this but I fix/force stuff to come together in a compromised way for a living and for me a car like that should be perfect (in so much as those cars can be). Working/restoring it would kill the magic for me. I'm also thinking that being in the UK I'm never far away from one of the RHD models so maybe it's worth holding back for one of those; they're 10% faster for twice the price (bargain). There's also one of the pilot/prototype cars here that's been restored and that's very tempting.

blk posted:

If I got people coming up to me wanting to talk about Giugiaro, I'd feel a lot different.

We apparently have the same specific DeLorean interests! I love the cars, but part of what makes them interesting is the history and the circumstance around them, and how against-all-odds it was that they ever got made. John was a fascinating man - a real monster; Steve Jobs doesn't have poo poo on him. He was a crook, a thief, a liar and a blackmailer who got where he did with establishing DMC through charisma and dumb luck. He was a schemer, but he also wasn't especially bright. I don't think there's a single person who worked with him who won't tell you that he wasn't a little bit crazy - not in the good way, but like an undisciplined child. He chumped a lot of decent people, screwed people out of their money, homes, businesses, careers and retirements, shat all over the hopes of 2000 desperate people and brought down the whole thing he worked for out of sheer... something. Someone said about him that he was a man "always on the run" and even when he had it all, he was still wilfully self-destructive. I find a lot of Americans idolise him but the man was scum; the breakdown of his behaviour from 75-82 is amazing. Then there was the guys at Lotus, who effectively managed to create a production car from scratch in around 14 months (they started and then had to start over when the car was re-designed). How they managed to do it - creating toolings, testing programmes, constantly winging it (in a professional manner), having thousands of parts made from basic discussions drawings rather than actual plans and praying to god they fit... Every week there was something that should have made the whole thing crumble, but somehow they managed to make a workable production car out of it. It wasn't very good, but that's not really the point.

And because there was only that one car made, you can kind of see the whole history in it. The mad gimmicks that came directly from John's pen, the cut corners in terms of engineering that can be traced back to a specific argument on a specific date, the clash in engineering between what Bill Collins produced and what Lotus put in, and of course, the iffy build quality representative of an all-new, barely trained workforce doing their best. It's not a car with soul like an Alfa or Ferarri or whatever, but few other cars have a tangible context/history just by looking at them. It's kinda a pity that the car is better known as being a comedy prop than for that, but then, most people aren't interested in cars/auto history to that level, so whatever. I've been lucky that I've been able to talk to people like Colin Spooner, Mike Loasby - even a quick chat with Giugario - there's so much crazy history to it all, and almost every person involved has their own horror story of wasted blood, sweat and tears that they put into it. Not to mention that it pretty much killed Colin Chapman (who would have gone to jail anyway).

Rhyno posted:

Are there Delorean owners out there who just hate BTTF? The only local one we have put a flux capaciter into his and talks about wanting to do a full conversion.

It's not like the cars are hyper rare, but I am finding the volume of conversions being done to be a bit depressing. With enough money they're reversible, and the original prop cars were beautifully made (one of the reasons I ended up working in film was how much I liked them as a kid), but they're all identical and most are made for the sole purpose of being rented out for TV shows/advertising gimmicks and it's just a bit tiring (cue the usual "no one would know about DeLoreans if it wasn't for BTTF" argument)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

I love the direction Matt Farah is going with his. No stupid BTTF crap, just a nice clean DeLorean with the suspension sorted, engine nicely tuned and everything done the way the car should have come from the factory.
Yeah, I'd love one, and would happily leave the exterior completely standard, but properly tear into everything that underpins it.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
While not a "classic," per se, I'd like to have a short bed Chevy pickup (circa 70s-80s) under me again - for nostalgia & utility reasons more than anything.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I hate the BTTF fanboys for ruining the market for what would otherwise should be a not terribly expensive 80's mid-engine car that should be similar in price to Fieros and MR2s and also for making it so hard to find good condition, but unmolested examples anymore. It's a beautiful car in stock form, why can't people leave it that way? :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I don't think BTTF fanboys have altered the market at all - if you assume theres 6000-6500 cars left (reasonable) there can't be more than 100 conversions out there - perhaps between 50 and 70. Used prices have risen fairly stably with inflation over the years - (£12k for a used LHD circa 1996, £18k now). Prices spiked a little when John died in 2005 but mostly they've stayed as-is. BTTF may have raised their used value in the late 80s but it's hard to say because at the time of recievership NOS cars were selling for half of list price. But generally they've stayed fairly evenly priced.

They're surely the easiest classic car to find unmolested?

(also, very very rear engined, not mid)

Are these considered classic? After the E9/M1 I think this is the third most desirable BMW. In Europe they have the presence of an older, larger American car in some ways - I can't think of anything (other than the large Mercedes coupes) that have that kind of proportion. It's the only thing that the new boat-sized 6 series gets 'right'.

E: I suppose my definition of classic is out of production but carries cachet with car nerds?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 3, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had an e24 635csi a while back and it was an absolutely marvellous car. Also, the facelift version based on e28 mechanicals like I had is COMPLETELY different to the e12 based early cars. Completely. No shared panels or parts. They look similar in photos, but if you see them in person they look like two generations of the same model.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A 1971 Datsun Skyline GT-R. I've loved these things since the first time I saw one. Hideously expensive, unattainably rare, I would drive the poo poo out of this thing and be the happiest man on the planet:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

I had an e24 635csi a while back and it was an absolutely marvellous car. Also, the facelift version based on e28 mechanicals like I had is COMPLETELY different to the e12 based early cars. Completely. No shared panels or parts. They look similar in photos, but if you see them in person they look like two generations of the same model.

That always threw me out, both cars almost look identical, but are completely different underneath. I think one way of telling the difference between the two is that the later cars had longer doors.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered... Volvo 760s and 780s came with a PRV before they switched to Volvo redblocks. How hard could it be to put one in a Delorean?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

atomicthumbs posted:

I've always wondered... Volvo 760s and 780s came with a PRV before they switched to Volvo redblocks. How hard could it be to put one in a Delorean?

First you need to find a frame to support it..

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
It's only been in the last 7 months that I've owned a car from the current decade.

I've driven classics daily for my entire driving career. And I've seen just about every one of my cars in this thread so far.

1969 Nova: My first car, back when I started driving, it was a cheap muscle car, everyone wanted a chevelle or other more muscly car, as stated already, you can basically open a catalog and build a new one. Sadly, this was really not the case back when I had it. I've always said that by the late 50s, they pretty much had it figured out fast cars that can keep up with modern speeds and still be viable, drivable vehicles.

All three of these cars have been daily drivers for my friends and I.

My 1958 Cadillac is just that, I drove it daily for a few years, I loved it, but after a while it became a car, and the "HEY DUDE NICE CAR" or "HEY LOOK ITS EVLIS" or "IS THAT A (insert incorrect year and make)?!" gets old.

I'd love to say that cars from the 40s are daily drivers, but they are not.. If you have a lot of patience, you like going slow and you have time to account for issues, and are of sound body (manual brakes and steering can tire you out) they are the perfect weekend or knock around cars, but in a day to day commute, you will want to tear your hair out.

If you want a car that can be daily, pretty much anything from the late 50s to early 60s onwards will be your perfect bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Simple answer: something that utterly revolutionised the car business, or at least a certain segment of it:

A 1990 Lexus LS400.

I would want to do obnoxious burnouts in front of the Mercedes dealer, but I think the sheer class of it would keep Mr under control.

• Locked thread