Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In order of sensibleness, from most to least: Honda/Acura NSX, Porsche 928, 1965 Pontiac GTO, or Lotus Carlton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Black88GTA posted:

My DD during everything that's not winter is only ~20 years old, but I think it might qualify, depending on how you define "classic":

(The sunroof deflector and front plate mount were removed a long time ago)

Most mechanicals are shared with the 540 and 740 of similar vintage, so parts availability / cost is generally pretty good, and the BMW forums have discussions on most of the common issues that pop up. Meaning, I can afford to run it without having to live in it.

If I could pick anything though, it would be some flavor of exotic. This has never been an option obviously, so I haven't done the research I would before deciding. As a result, I don't know exactly which one I'd get yet. Although, I keep looking at '97 - 2002 Lotus Esprits, to the point where if I find one cheap enough I might do something stupid :ohdear:

The lowest price I've seen was about $18k, but that was sometime in 2009 / 2010, when the recession was in full swing. Now they are closer to $40 :sigh:

Don't know if that counts as a classic (yet) but that's a handsome car.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I would drive any of them, including this tire-testing version made for Michelin:

KozmoNaut posted:

Perhaps you'll be less disappointed to know that it weighed ~10 tons, had two Chevy 350 V8s, could reach 180km/h and was specifically designed to test truck tires until explosive failure.

The back of the car contains an entire testing rig powered by one of the V8s, designed to severely mistreat truck tires until they either exploded or blew off the rim.

Good god. :stare:

• Locked thread