Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I like this mans thinking. E34 M5. Still modern enough to hold its own against other cars, but old enough to carry the "cool" factor.

Incorrect. You don't want an E34 M5, you wan't an E34 540i with a six speed manual, bilsteins, H&R's and every single bush and mounting replaced with nolathane.

I have a friend with that exact car and it is magical and easily blitzes factory e34 m5's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're faster if you have the factory LSD with gearing from a 520i swapped on. It's something ridiculous like 3.3:1. Also sounds pretty phenomenal with all the factory mufflers cut out. The s38B38 is also pretty desperately unreliable compared to the 3.5 and is completely strung-out performance-wise. An m60 can be frankenmotored with an m62, or have a turbo/blower stuck on.

Also that colour is called Homax Purple :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clearly your parents didn't love you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bogans just won't accept that the fastest Aussie muscle car of the golden era was a six cylinder. They simply can't. :australia:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

How did that happen?

The valiant charger R/T E49 had a special homebrew Australian inline six with what was essentially a hemi head and weber side-draft carbs tuned at the weber factory. This way it had more power than a holden 308, was much lighter than any of the 350-equipped holdens and was world's lighter than a ford falcon.

300 horsepower from a pushrod Chrysler six is pretty bloody good. It also handled miles better than any of the competing vehicles.

Ironically, the same situation now exists today, where the ford falcon I6 turbo is quicker than any of the v8 falcons/commodores and has power artificially capped from the factory to keep numbers lower than the coyote V8.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

I love Deloreans, like BTTF, hate the Delorean BTTF connection. I love the car for its styling, gullwing doors and identity as an American automotive startup (a la Tucker or Tesla), even if it is an absolute turd to drive. I've often considered saving for one but am put off by the inevitable BTTF comments I'd get at every turn from every observer. If I got people coming up to me wanting to talk about Giugiaro, I'd feel a lot different.

This. Despite being a bit of a dog mechanically, the styling is phenomenal and it's kind of a curse that it will forever be "THE CAR FROM BACK TO THE FUTURE OH MAH GAWD!!" instead of one of the design triumphs of an era.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had an e24 635csi a while back and it was an absolutely marvellous car. Also, the facelift version based on e28 mechanicals like I had is COMPLETELY different to the e12 based early cars. Completely. No shared panels or parts. They look similar in photos, but if you see them in person they look like two generations of the same model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen an LS400 with 800,000km's. They quite literally do not make them like they used to, and for once that's not a good thing.

• Locked thread