Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Part of me would love a mid to late 60s muscle car. Not particularly picky which one it would be, though I do tend to lean toward GMs of that era.

The other part of me would love a 2 door Mercedes W111. I'd need a top hat and a monocle though.

There's always the 70s rape vans too. :pedo: But I'm pretty sure my neighbors would lynch me if I parked a shaggin wagon out front.

One of my neighbors has a beautiful 59 Bel Air that he drives frequently (a few times a week, at the least). Has a few modern upgrades (a/c, power windows). I need to ask him what's hiding under the hood next time I see him.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had this huge tirade written up about how "classic" cars can't be post-92 for imports, and examples based on how a 92 Civic or 91 Integra couldn't be considered a classic simply because they were an incredibly common car.

... then realized that Civics and Integras were very much the icon of the 90s and 00s, and incredibly common. And 60s/70s Camaros were incredibly common for their era, and then it became a lot of :350: and :effort: :sigh:

My own definition of "classic", for domestics (US) is "passenger car that has a carb from the factory". For imports, it's generally "mid 80s or older". Neither of my 88 Accords could ever be considered "classic" in any form except "ancient". Maybe the pop-up headlights. Depending on trim, an 88 could be a 2 bbl carb or MPFI!

It's depressing when you get a sudden realization that cars much younger than you are "classic".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 11, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Third gen Nova. Crappy economy car when new meant that there were tons of spares (including body spares, so no shortage of patch panels available today). Lots of upgrades too. The years have been kind to it and the Barrett-Jackson halo has imbued even the lovely base models with bad-rear end muscle car appeal with some strategic work.

A friend of mine had a 73 Nova coupe (way, way, way long ago - early 90s).

It was pretty clean - had a new interior when he got it, original paint, working a/c, and enough engine under the hood to run high 12s (when it could get traction). It was all too willing to wrap itself around the nearest trees or poles though - it was terrifying to drive in the rain, and only scary to drive on dry roads.

It was a DD for him for about a year. Unfortunately, it was originally a V6 car, and while the previous owner threw buckets of money at the drivetrain, he didn't spend anything on subframe bracing.

I wouldn't mind having a car like that (particularly a liftback version), but I'd make drat sure I spent a bit on whatever bracing it took to keep it from trying to twist itself into a pretzel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

H1KE posted:

70's Nova because I love big, loud, obnoxious argy bargey cars.

:ssh: The Nova was actually classified as a compact car until the 1977 model year.

• Locked thread