Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Sly 2: Band of Thieves is a game made by Sucker Punch and released in 2004 on the Playstation 2. It is the sequel to the first game (that Seperoth and I made an LP of here) and is what I like to call "If Sly Cooper 1 had a bigger budget". Thankfully, the first game was popular and sold well enough to become one of Playstations "Greatest Hits"-games, which meant Sucker Punch got enough money to revamp a lot of things.

Like, what exactly?
Well for starters, while controlling Sly is about the same as before, the gameplay in general is more about free-roaming than being in a hub and going to different levels hunting for keys and clue bottles. As such, the hub levels are much bigger and have a greater variety in enemies and sneaking. The missions are also more centered around stealth rather than platforming and Sly has some new moves to show that off. Speaking of Sly, while he is still the central focus in the plot, his friends Bentley and Murrary get a lot more time in the spotlight, both in terms of story and in gameplay. In fact, they are fully playable this time around, getting a moveset and everything!

Awesome!
There's more! The skills you obtain in this game are actually useful from a gameplay perspective and not just to collect for 100% completion, there's a health bar instead of the thieves being one-hit kills and there's a pickpocketing mechanic! You know, like a game about thieving should have! Also, as the controls haven't changed that much, it's not too hard to start this game right after the first game, even though they introduce a lot of new things.

Serperoth is with me like before and there will be cut and uncut versions, cut is without commentary over cutscenes while uncut is with. Also do hold on to the spoiler talk, although if you feel like talking about future events, please do so in spoiler tags. Do note that this is being played on the HD rerelease of the game, which means glorious 720p and some minor issues in presentation... like backgrounds not covering the whole screen for example. With that said and done, let's play Sly 2: Band of Thieves!

Part 0: Prologue (A Shadow From The Past) (Uncut Version)

Part 1: Photo Shoot (Uncut Version)
Part 2: Make Way For Murray (Uncut Version)
Part 3: Bentley's Time to Shine (Uncut Version)
Part 4: Dimitri's Deadly Dance-Off (Uncut Version)

Part 5: One Night in India (Uncut Version)
Part 6: Rhythm Thief (Uncut Version)
Part 7: Elephant Brawl (Uncut Version)
Part 8: Foxtrotting (Uncut Version)

Part 9: Welcome to the Jungle (Uncut Version)
Part 10: Let Sleeping Tigers Lie (Uncut Version)
Part 11: Flushing Out the Tiger (Uncut Version)
Part 12: Rage of Rajan (Uncut Version)

Part 13: Hack-breaking (Uncut version)
Part 14: Working Hard For Hippos (Uncut Version)
Part 15: Jailhouse Rage (Uncut Version)

Part 16: Mind of War (Uncut Version)
Part 17: Ghost-hunters (Uncut version)
Part 18: Tanks To Meet You (Uncut Version)
Part 19: Contessa's Menacing Mind Games (Uncut Version)

Part 20: Cabin Crashers (Uncut Version) (A Talk Between Villains)
Part 21: Spice Flight (Uncut Version)
Part 22: Cubnapping (Uncut Version)
Part 23: Dead Freight (Uncut Version)

Part 24: Up Further North (Uncut Version)
Part 25: Tanks for the Lasers (Uncut Version)
Part 26: Way of the Cheater (Uncut Version)
Part 27: Brains, Brawns and Bisons (Uncut Version)

Part 28: Learning to Fly (Uncut Version)
Part 29: Engine Destruction (Uncut Version)
Part 30: Signaled Showdown (Uncut Version)
Part 32: Bonus Special (Cartoon Opening without commentary)

Le Chasse Des Bouteilles (Paris Bottle Hunt)
World's Second Most Populous Bottle Country (India Bottle Hunt)
Jungle Bottle Fall (Jungle Bottle Hunt)
Breaking Out the Bottle Hunt (Prison Bottle Hunt)
Spooky Scary Bottle Hunt (Castle Bottle Hunt)
Bottle Hunt Choo Choo (Canadian Bottle Hunt)
Ice Cold Bottle Hunt (Lumberjack Camp Bottle Hunt)
Mile High Bottle Hunt (Airship Bottle Hunt)

Name: Sly Cooper
The thief and leader of the Cooper Gang. Was brought up from a loooong line of thieves, but on the day that he was supposed to inherit all the thieving skills from his father, the Fiendish Five led by Clockwerk appeared, killed his family and ripped page after page away from the Thievious Racconus, the master book of thieving as passed down through the Cooper Clan. This meant that he was sent to an orphanage, where he would met his BFFs Bentley and Murray. He would later beat up all the members of the Fiendish Five and restore the glorious thieving book in the first game. Now, he's after the Clockwerk parts, but does he know what he's getting himself into when messing with the Klaww Gang?

Name: Bentley
The brains and explosives expert in the Cooper gang and one of Sly's best friends. Apparently just dropped off at the orphanage while still in an egg. In the first game, he was a bit of a snarky shut-in that besides telling us to jump and hit the circle button was mostly hiding in the van, until the end of the game, when he had to use his hacking skills in order to save Sly and Carmelita's life. This may have inspired him to try and be more brave, as he's now on the street and helps out the gang, but can his brains figure out what's up with the Klaww gang.

Name: Murray
The brawns and the getaway driver of the Cooper Gang. Also apparently just dropped of at the orphanage while still a child (please don't be an rear end in a top hat to your children, they will not become master thieves). With a heart bigger than his posture, Murray probably felt that he didn't do enough in the first game, being a bit on the weak side, even if his courage came through in some of the missions. But after watching hours and hours of wrestling on the TV and probably tahnks to some comic books, Murray felt that it was time he took the matter into his own hands. So he started lifting weights, implementing many moves into his arsenal of destruction and managed to transform from a mere hippopotamus into "The Murray". But can his muscles stop the whatever the Klaww Gang is cooking?

Name: Carmelita Montoya Fox
Inspecor Carmelita, or Sly's love interest and furbait, is a member of the Interpol who's main mission seem to be capturing Sly Cooper... almost to an obssesive level. She is a capable cop, but she has never managed to capture anyone of the Cooper Gang and in her attempt to capture the ones who stole the Clockwerk parts, not only did she mistakenly believe that the Cooper Gang did it, she was also pared up with Constaple Neyla thanks to some higher-up forces. Will probably try to keep up with Sly & co, even if she has no idea of what's actually going on.

Name: Neyla
We don't know much about Neyla. She's a constaple. She's even more furbaitish than Carmelita, what with a whip and all. She was paired up with Inspector Fox, even if they don't trust each other. That's about it really.

Name: Clockwerk
Ex-leader of the Fiendish Five. Main villain and final boss of the first game. Was dropped into volcanic lava. Broken, battered, definitely not functioning... and yet, his parts still exist. Is it because of robust engineering or are there other powers at work? In any case, his (its?) existance still haunts Sly, as he was the one who ordered and killed Sly's parents, all to prove to the world that without the Thievious Racconus, the Cooper Clan is nothing. Thankfully, he was wrong, as Sly still became a master thief. But even when he's broken down, he can be made to cause problems in whatever thing the Klaww Gang is doing...

Name: Dimitri Lousteau
A French marine iguana who after being rejected by the art work, presumably for using a... very abstract painting style called "Kinetic Aesthetic" that involved him painting while swinging back and forth with a rope tied around his waist. He took this rejection very badly, thinking that all the art world want to see is old art. So he started forging old masterpieces as a way of punishing those with "bad taste." Controls a nightclub in Paris that pulls in all the youth and brings him lots of dosh... as if he needed much more, considering he counterfeits money by using the Clockwerk Tail Feathers as printing plates, creating an endless supply of fake money.

Name: Rajan
A Bengal Tiger who has grown up in the streets, going from rags to riches selling drugs illegal spices to anyone willing to buy. In fact, he has earned so much money from trading spice that he managed buy himself an Indian palace, which he now hosts a party in, showing of his newly acquired Clockwerk Wings (because that won't bring police attention at all), hoping to get even more street cred. Part of the Klaww Gang as the spice provider, naturally.

Name: The Contessa
A Black Widow Spider and a high ranking officer of Interpol. Both Neyla and Carmelita works under her. When she still was a criminal psychology student, she apparently fell in love with and married a wealthy aristocrat... who shortly after the wedding died mysteriously, giving the Contessa loads of money and a home in Prague. With all her wealth, she opened up a rehab for criminals, where she used hypno-therapy to turn criminals into hard-working members of the society and subsequently, earning her the high place within Interpol. Not actually Transylvanian, rather, she is from the Czech Republic.

Name: Jean Bison
A Canadian Bison who owns half the trains in North America, which he uses to distribute spice with as part of the Klaww Gang. He actually comes from the gold rush days of 1852, but made the terrible decision to blow up the side of a mountain to get closer to the gold. The ensuing avalanche froze him solid up for 120 years until global warming heated him up and voile, here he is, cultivating all of Canada. He got half of the Clockwerk parts and uses three of them (the lungs and the stomach) to power his Iron Horse-trains, but keeps the last set (the talons) on his walking stick.

Name: Arpeggio
A parrot who's the mastermind and inventor of the Klaww Gang. Rides around in some sort of bird cage with wheels attached to it. Despite being a bird, Arpeggio can't actually fly, thanks to his wings being too small. Instead he put his mind at trying to find some way to soar the skies, eventually settling on an enormous blimp-airship thing. Arpeggio became chief inventor of the Klaww Gang at a very young age and has outfitted all his guards with weapons and probably jetpacks of his own, much to my annoyance. Has Clockwerk's Brain.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Loved your first LP, looking forward to seeing how they improved on the second game. From what we've seen, it's looking pretty great already.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah yes, Sly 2. It has many fun parts, but there are a few places where I wanted to tear my hair out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sweet, glad to see you guys are playing the second one as well. Dunno why they haven't been picked up by anyone else earlier though.* These're really fun games. Especially this one now that you've got Murray and Bently with their own health bars and such!

*Never mind! Turns out FirstAidKite did one and two four years ago. Still good to see someone else tackling them.

Edit: Also, both Photo Shoot links are to the Uncut version.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 14, 2014

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

I should probably mention that we will be trying to update once/twice every week. No set dates like last time because of school taking priority, but we will try to keep up.

RareAcumen posted:

both Photo Shoot links are to the Uncut version.
Thanks for pointing that out, links are fixed now!

grandalt posted:

Ah yes, Sly 2. It has many fun parts, but there are a few places where I wanted to tear my hair out.
Yeah, it's a good game, but not perfect. Fun fact: I've recorded the video footage pretty far ahead already and there's one mission that took around 20 minutes to complete thanks to running around looking and dying a lot :shepicide:

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Played through the whole trilogy with my wife - I did Sly 1, she did Sly 2 excepting one or two obnoxious bits (and some of the bottle hunts), and we traded off Sly 3 (which meant she handed me the controller if a mission's gimmick was essentially BS).

With that said, I think Sly 2 is my favourite of the three - I love the locations for feeling like locations, the villains felt like they actually had schemes going on that you were actively thwarting, the missions of each world tied together and mostly felt like proper heists, and there wasn't much in the way of eleventh hour 'welcome to the final world, here's a new gimmick'. Except maybe the turret section against the final boss.

Basically a fun game and I don't regret getting the remake.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 2: Make Way For Murray (Uncut Version)

In which we are introduced to a new character! Or well, introduced to how he plays anyway.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

More Dimitri talking, its funny.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 3: Bentley's Time to Shine (Uncut Version)

grandalt posted:

More Dimitri talking, its funny.

I like how they had a character who was pretty funny while talking in the first level of the first game (Raleigh) and then decide one-up themselves by making a character who sounds even funnier while talking. Basically what I'm saying is that Dimitri is the best character (by speech patterns).

And wow I just realized how similar the characters in this game are in general compared to the first one. I had never thought of it before until now, so I guess that's one of my criticisms with this game.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 23, 2014

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
The Cut version of the latest update is listed as private

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

The Cut version of the latest update is listed as private

Whoops, that's what happens when I don't click the save button. Should be fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember from watching an older LP of this game, Dimitri is pretty much the best part of this game. Not saying the rest is bad, just that in my opinion it didn't get better than him theme-wise.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I personally loved Jean Bison. But that's personal bias talking.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Gullwhacker posted:

Second'd. I adore this franchise and his levels are just the best. I thinks the music and beautiful scenery go well together.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 4: Dimitri's Deadly Dance-Off (Uncut Version)

Gullwhacker posted:

Gonna have to agree here. While Dimitri is the best in terms of funny characters, Jean Bison is just all-around a pretty solid guy.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

And here is one of the hard part. Dimitri's boss fight, mainly because he has a ranged attack and you don't. Oh I never did figure out that there's a pattern to his ring attack.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
Woo, binge-watched all of four episodes and a bottle-collection!

I have all three of these games on my PS2, and I love them. While I often get frustrated with things in this game, overall, they're all fairly solid. I unfortunately haven't yet played Thieves in Time, and I've been avoiding spoilers for the game like the loving plague because I want to play it for myself, heh.

Anyway, as for these games, you mentioned the odd difference in scale between the Tailfeathers' in game model versus the cutscene, but you didn't mention that Dmitri is apparently right at 5'0"? That makes Sly himself roughly 3-3 1/2 feet tall, judging by character models.

Still, I don't mind these too much. It can be distracting, but then again, they explicitly mention the circle button on a regular basis, so I can't say I mind. :v:

Also, THE MURRAY is the best. His best moment, in my opinion, is in the next game, but he's got some amazing lines and moments in this one, all the same.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DetectiveDorian posted:

While I often get frustrated with things in this game, overall, they're all fairly solid.

I feel like that is the case with many of the mascot platformers. Spyro, Crash, Sly, Ratchet & Clank. Spyro and Crash are solid games with some less-good bits, and from what I've seen of Sly and Ratchet (the former in our, the latter in kalonZombie's LPs) it seems to be a similar case. It's even more obvious comparing the second game in each series to the first one. In all of the aforementioned cases it's a definite improvement, refining the first game and solidifying the series more.

And all that started (in the west at least) with a thought that could be summarized as "Sonic's rear end". :allears:

VVV: I didn't mention Jak and Daxter actually because a) I don't know much about it and b) Thought it was more action-y than a platformer. Shame about it going sucky though.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 24, 2014

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Serperoth posted:

In all of the aforementioned cases it's a definite improvement, refining the first game and solidifying the series more.
Really, the only mascot game I can think of that got worse with the second game would be Jak & Daxter, that went from colorful, lighthearted and family-friendly fun to dark, gritty, edgy and way too many crappy missions. At least that's how I felt it was like when playing through the HD collection.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The first Jak & Daxter was very much a platformer. You platformed our way around levels, searching for collectibles to allow you to continue on to other levels to look for collectibles.

Then someone had the bright idea of changing it took an action game with platform segments in Jak 2 and made it dark and gritty. I don't think Jak 2 and 3 are BAD games, but they are very different from the first, and it's not an improvement IMO.

Also, Dmitri's suit is very much greasy sweet.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Time to pack up boys, we're going to India in...

Part 5: One Night in India (Uncut Version)

Bottle Hunt Part 2: World's Second Most Populous Bottle Country

I won't write about all the new character's backstory just yet, they will have to wait until their time in the limelight.

NEW CHARACTERS

Name: Rajan
A Bengal Tiger who has grown up in the streets, going from rags to riches selling drugs illegal spices to anyone willing to buy. In fact, he has earned so much money from trading spice that he managed buy himself an Indian palace, which he now hosts a party in, showing of his newly acquired Clockwerk Wings (because that won't bring police attention at all), hoping to get even more street cred. Part of the Klaww Gang as the spice provider, naturally.

Name: Jean Bison
A Canadian Bison who owns half the trains in North America, which he uses to distribute spice with as part of the Klaww Gang. [info to be updated later]

Name: The Contessa
A Black Widow Spider and a high ranking officer of Interpol. Both Neyla and Carmelita works under her. [info to be updated later]

Name: Arpeggio
A Parrot who's the mastermind and inventor of the Klaww Gang. Rides around in some sort of bird cage with wheels attached to it. [info to be updated later]

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Compared to Dmitri, Rajan is kind of a boring villain, in my opinion. Character-wise anyway. His backstory is interesting; As you guys said, his kind of "rags-to-riches" story would usually be suited for a hero. Well, other than he's peddling drugs very potent spices. Other than that, he's just not that interesting.

Also, something I kind of made up in my head-canon has to do with the gold rings you can pickpocket from the guards: I like to think that the guards with the gold rings are only working for their respective boss to get money to propose, or at least get a gift to their significant other, and it depresses me a little bit, if they're in my way and I have to kill them. :v:

At any rate, are you planning on making collection videos for the artifacts that are all just laying around on the map?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

At any rate, are you planning on making collection videos for the artifacts that are all just laying around on the map?
I wasn't planning on it, but I guess I could show them off. Some of the treasures I do pick up during the bottle hunts. Maybe I'll do a full collection video of all the timed treasures once the game is over.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 6: Rhythm Thief (Uncut Version)

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, a Sly Cooper movie has been announced for 2016. It uh... Well it looks like it could potentially be funny at least, even if the animation isn't very good compared to the games. From what I can tell, it seems to be a retelling of the first game, kind of like how the Ratchet & Clank movie will be. Apparently it has gotten Sucker Punch's approval, so the story might be good?

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 6, 2014

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

I hate that turret section. I agree, less health on the chopper and more damage on the turret would have made that section much better, because it's not hard, it just takes too drat long for no real good reason, in my opinion.

I really like the dancing mini game, though. Sure, it's Simon Says, but it's got some nice, unique animations and pretty good music; It's a waltz (I think) version of the main game theme, so it's pretty cool. Though, I don't know if there's actually any way to fail that minigame.

Also, I don't mind that Carmelita doesn't recognize Sly, personally. Mostly because, well, it's established that she tends to be fairly blind to things directly in front of her face, like in the first game where her obsession with Sly Cooper blinded her to Panda King's own transgressions. Granted, it's not completely explained away, since Sly does literally nothing to disguise himself aside from the outfit. He walks with more poise, sure, but he doesn't adopt an accent or even try to disguise his voice, so it does make Carmelita look incompetent. To be fair, as a raccoon, he has a natural mask, anyway, so removing the domino mask he already wears wouldn't have made any real difference.

Though that doesn't excuse Neyla, who had to basically be told that she was talking to Sly Cooper. I guess in the Sly Cooper universe, cops are just automatically incompetent the second they receive a badge, heh. :v:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

I find the upcoming turret section to be equally annoying, if not worse. But yeah, the turret sections in this game aren't the greatest at all. As far as the dancing minigame goes, I do like it, it's just the circumstances around it that are laughable. Maybe it's that neither Neyla nor Carmelita expected Sly in a suit? I mean, he do wear that blue outfit of his like 100% of the time. Although you would think that Carmelita for all her incompetence would recognize the face of the man who's essentially her nemesis :downs:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Although you would think that Carmelita for all her incompetence would recognize the face of the man who's essentially her nemesis :downs:

That's pretty much it for me. I mean, Neyla, ok, she has barely seen him. But Carmelita is just inexcusable. And Neyla doesn't even SAY anything, about the man who's her boss's Moriarty or something. Yes, it works for ~the narrative~, but I really thought we'd be getting a confrontation of some sort, maybe with a small cutscene or a brief chase.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought she did recognize him but couldn't exactly go shooting at him or anything cuz they're supposed to be undercover. Or incognito. It'd cause too much of a ruckus, at any rate.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, a Sly Cooper movie has been announced for 2016. It uh... Well it looks like it could potentially be funny at least, even if the animation isn't very good compared to the games. From what I can tell, it seems to be a retelling of the first game, kind of like how the Ratchet & Clank movie will be. Apparently it has gotten Sucker Punch's approval, so the story might be good?

An interesting choice I suppose. I wish they had gotten Sly's original voice actor though.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Time for some less-then-fun missions and one very fun mission. Have I said that I liked the combat in this game yet? Because I like the combat in this game.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 6, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Since no one else has tipped you off to it, that scrawled drawing of "JoJo World" in the first level was a reference to a previous game of Sucker Punch's, "Rocket: Robot On Wheels", which is on the archive now. JoJo was the notional villain of the game.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Time for some less-then-fun missions and one very fun mission. Have I said that I liked the combat in this game yet? Because I like the combat in this game.

I'll go mission by mission on my opinions of the game for this video, so I apologize in advance for :words:

RC Bombing Run: Yay, another tedious mission where it takes too drat long to kill something! :smithicide: Granted, this isn't quite as bad as the turret section in the previous video, since you're at least doing something other than aiming a turret that's prone to overheating very quickly. You can spam the bombs that it'll hit it 75% of the time, until you have to dodge a rocket, then go back to the grind of trying to blow up the truck. Luckily, there is only one truck in this mission.

Elephant Rampage: You weren't kidding about less-than-fun missions. This one would have been much more fun if you had a certain upgrade that you only get a fair bit later in the game. Also, it's really dumb, to me, that the elephant arbitrarily bucks you off after you get the ruby off its crown. Ah, well. I think that's the only mission like it, though, so once you do it, you don't have to worry about it anymore, so there's that.

Boardroom Brawl: Now this is what I'm talking about. "THE MURRAY KNOWS NO FEAR." It's simple, sure, but Murray's enthusiasm always put a smile on my face when playing these games. Never change, Murray. :allears: Combat with Murray is all kinds of fun, no doubt, but I feel like they missed a couple great opportunities in this section; First, finding the code in the lower area. I'm pretty sure that's the only time that method of finding a way into somewhere is ever used, unless I'm misremembering, and is an interesting gimmick. It's a shame that they didn't use it at least a couple more times. (Though, understandably, it'd probably get old fast.

Secondly, the combat section. When you get into fights like that in this game and the next game (which I don't think is too often?), the characters don't really interact physically with one another all that much, so it almost felt as if the other characters being there weren't really doing much that Sly or Murray couldn't have just done by themselves. I would have loved some unique combos with the respective characters, depending on who was in the lead, but hey, what we got was still fun, because you can punch people with Fists-O'-Flame and make them explode, so I honestly can't complain too much. :v:

Anyway, Bentley got a nice toy, there. There's something really interesting you can do with the Size Destabiliser later, though.

As for the Insanity Strike... Eh. It's situational, but if you manage to hit a flashlight guard with it, it can be pretty useful if you end up getting into a large brawl, but I've personally found that it kind of isn't often enough to warrant using up a button for it.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Glazius posted:

Since no one else has tipped you off to it, that scrawled drawing of "JoJo World" in the first level was a reference to a previous game of Sucker Punch's, "Rocket: Robot On Wheels", which is on the archive now. JoJo was the notional villain of the game.
:doh: I knew I forgot to mention something! Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll mention it in a video when it becomes relevant. Because it will.

Wow, you're pretty much spot on about everything. I want to say though that I like the rest of the RC chopper missions, mainly because they're more engaging. The turret missions also get sort of better IMO, so really it's just the tutorial missions that are bad.

DetectiveDorian posted:

Anyway, Bentley got a nice toy, there. There's something really interesting you can do with the Size Destabiliser later, though.
Ooh, now I'm interested! Do you want to elaborate on that?

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Ooh, now I'm interested! Do you want to elaborate on that?

Well, it's kind of in spoiler territory, so those who have either not played the game, or don't want to be spoiled of the surprise, don't read these spoiler tags: In a chapter where Carmelita can be seen randomly roaming around on the overworld, you can hit her with the Size Destabiliser and hit her while she's small and "kill" her.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

Well, it's kind of in spoiler territory, so those who have either not played the game, or don't want to be spoiled of the surprise, don't read these spoiler tags: In a chapter where Carmelita can be seen randomly roaming around on the overworld, you can hit her with the Size Destabiliser and hit her while she's small and "kill" her.

Ah, I see. I was actually wondering if that would work or not, gotta test it out for myself, as long as it doesn't screw up the mission involving her.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

It shouldn't, since going into missions tends to "reset" the world, and I'm pretty sure that if you do it between missions, it should be fine. Don't quote me on that, though, but if it does kind of break missions involving her, I think the simple solution would just be to reset the game. :keke:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 8: Foxtrotting (Uncut Version)

I hastily mentioned the comics in the uncut version, just want to address that I'll probably not cover them. Not that they don't look good, but I just haven't read them and if I would talk about them, I would probably just copy-paste the wiki page, which is just pointless.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 7, 2014

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Part 8: Dancing With the Cops (Uncut Version)

I hastily mentioned the comics in the uncut version, just want to address that I'll probably not cover them. Not that they don't look good, but I just haven't read them and if I would talk about them, I would probably just copy-paste the wiki page, which is just pointless.

Whoo! New update, and time for more :words:

The bridge-destroying part is pretty fun, to me. However, I cannot count how many times I've missed a jump and fallen down the bottomless pit because I'm dumb. It's not even because of the rocks that I've failed that part of the mission in the past. Simple enough, at least.

As for more Simon Says dancing, as I've said, I like this minigame. In this case, the background events make it for me, because Murray pulling the Mission: Impossible stuff is amazing. :allears: However, you guys have mentioned that Carmelita isn't able to recognize Sly by any other means, like scent. That's... Actually a pretty good point. It's kinda strange to me that, with a world of animal people, they don't take advantage of that and give them more animal qualities. Probably just another missed opportunity.

Also, I find it to be a nice touch that Carmelita's wearing a collar with a police star tag, and I have to say that she does still pull off the black dress very well.

And finally, more RC chopper. I'm personally not fond of escort missions, but as said in the commentary, Murray at least doesn't walk directly into the enemies. So, while he's kind of the dumb muscle of the group, he's not completely inept. Not to mention, the chopper's bombs do kill enemies, and multiple enemies, in one shot, so there's that. Still, at areas like the hallway just before the van, you basically have to thread the needle in order to blow up the enemies.

In the end-chapter cutscene, did you notice on the part where it's zooming out from Murray dancing, you can see some cats in hoods dancing around? They all look very similar to Neyla, so that kinda hints to me that she's Indian, though for some reason, her accent is Cockney. Still, a fun little detail to me.

And finally, this is the only game in the series that I'm aware that bosses can span multiple chapters, though in this case, only two. I'm kinda sad that Dmitri only got one chapter, though, since I'm of the belief that you can never have enough Dmitri and his greasy sweet suit. :allears: Still, it was the first chapter, and there wasn't a whole lot that I could think of that Dmitri could have done other than print money.

All in all, this is a solid chapter, with some good atmosphere, and the kind of annoying missions don't detract too much from the overall quality.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

And finally, this is the only game in the series that I'm aware that bosses can span multiple chapters, though in this case, only two. I'm kinda sad that Dmitri only got one chapter, though, since I'm of the belief that you can never have enough Dmitri and his greasy sweet suit. :allears: Still, it was the first chapter, and there wasn't a whole lot that I could think of that Dmitri could have done other than print money.

All in all, this is a solid chapter, with some good atmosphere, and the kind of annoying missions don't detract too much from the overall quality.

I will explain Dimitri's lost chapter! Although I'm not sure when I can explain it, either it will be next episode or the one after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

We could be having an episode in Bollywood, but screw that, let's go to the jungle in...

Part 9: Welcome to the Jungle (Uncut Version)

Bottle Hunt 3: Jungle Bottle Fall (Jungle Bottle Hunt)

So it turns out that I lied about me talking about Dimitri's lost level some time in the next two episodes because I'm a dumbdumb and forget about stuff easily. Oh well, I will still talk about it, don't worry. Also we did mention kalonZombie, which you really should be watching.

• Locked thread