Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Weinertron posted:

Can someone add to the OP what guns are widely considered bad purchases? I've been playing competitive with a bunch of people who are new to CS, and I'm so new and useless I don't know what to tell them to buy because I always just get ak or m4.

I'm pretty sure we would stand a better chance if we don't go into midgame rounds with sweet dualies and Mac 10s, but I have very little sense of what guns are good at what times. We've won our first 3 competitive matches ever though, so something must be going well!

Warning! Effort post approaches!

STARTING ROUNDS

Pistol round: Wide variety of builds here, some buy chest armour, some buy kits and grenades, others buy dualies or whatever their favourite pistol is. There's not really much of an advantage buying another pistol on the first round, some people are just more comfortable with other guns. There's certain situations where it helps, but as a new player I would just mix in a grenade or two, or get some chest armour. Getting used to using the starting pistol is an important skill toi have.

2nd round winning side: Usually winning side players buy whatever cheap mop-up gun they favour, so except to see SMG's and shotguns here. Lately some losing sides have been grabbing full armour and armour peircing pistols such as the P250 and the five-seven, so at higher skill levels you should mix in some cheap armour piercing AR(assault rifle) such as a galil or famas. Put one at each site.

2nd round losing side: Never buy nothing, always buy atleast a P250. A P250 can one-shot headshot a player will full armour at close range, same with a five-seven, but that is more expensive and only CT-side. Sometimes you should mix in full armour with your P250 buys, as this can catch a full-smg/shotgun team off-guard, severely money-loving them.

3rd round: There are more scenarios that can occur here, such as if the winning round 1 team lost round 2, etc etc, but usually the 3rd round is similar to round 2, in that the losing team of rounds 1 & 2 have to save again, so they can afford a full buy on round 4. Be careful though, if the Terrorist team planted the bomb in rounds 1 or 2, they can usually afford a full buy of AK + Armour, even if they lost both rounds.

NORMAL MID GAME & LATE GAME ROUNDS

NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN THESE ROUNDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR TEAM'S MONEY FIRST

Full Money buys: Typically you see 3 weapons, AK, M4/M4A1-S, and AWP. This is because the 2 main rifles have the best value for their cost for each side, as far as accuracy, shooting power, etc. And the AWP of course for it's one shot one kill power. Most other purchases are considered gimmicks, but some players really feel better with an AUG, or like to use an autosniper for example. The bad part about relying on vanity weapons is that they are more expensive, if you are spending another 500 or 1000$ on a rifle that you feel more in tune with, in the long game you'll have a round or two where you can't afford a rifle, because of that AUG or SIG(lol) purchase you made earlier in the game. This is why I always buy an AK or M4A1-S, simply the best bang for your buck, and you'll have more money in the future.

As for the AWP, since it costs almost double than a typical rifle, be mindful of your money when you purchase it, as powerful as it is, it could leave you broke next round, when your teammates are full buying and you have to get a pistol+armour just to keep up.

Half buys/Watch your team: Usually if one player on your team has a massive amount of money and other players are broke, he/she should be buying weapons for teammates, but when you can't buy out for all teammates, or if a couple teammates saved weapons from last round, you should communicate as a team and decide if some players should force buy a pistol + armour, or galil/famas + armour. Knowing when to do this is tricky, but becomes more clear with experience.

Eco Rounds:Rounds where almost all of you are broke. Similar to starting round 2, but usually you have more money to play with. If you are CT side, make sure atleast 1 player on each bombsite has bought a kit. Always Always Always atleast buy a P250. If you get the jump on someone with a P250, you should be able to kill them, thus earning you a free gun. Mix in some grenades if you can afford them and still full buy next round.

Grenades: Grenades are essential and you should be forcing yourself to buy them and use them, even if you are terrible with them, as you will get better with time. Just don't blind your teammates. Smoke grenades are amazing in CS:GO, especially compared to the smokes in source and 1.6. Two smoke grenades thrown by 2 players defending a bombsite can lock it down for most of the round. Similarly, smoke grenades thrown by attacking players can section off parts of bombsites, making them much much easier to take. For example, smoking off CT spawn when taking A site from Long A on dust 2 makes life much easier for T's, as you won't get sniped from there, and pushing the remaining players in A site is way easier.

Flash grenades are also must-buys, and knowing when/where to use them is somewhat of an art. There are many video guides on youtube on where best to use them, as well as other grenades, so I would look up those for references, watching better players use them on GO TV or spectating in a Goonman helps too. Force yourself to use them when taking sites, defending after the enemy has flashed, etc. You will get better.

As for HE, Decoy and Fire Grenades, they aren't as good. HE grenades are almost as good as Flash and Smoke, but their use is sometimes map dependant. Decoy grenades are cute, and distracting, but most good players won't be fooled. Molotov/Fire Grenades are pretty much a more expensive smoke grenade, locking down an area for a period of time.

Hope that helps a little with knowing what and when to purchase things. Communication is key, your money is not your own, treat it as a pool of team money and always buy atleast a P250.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Whoa, since when could the five-seven 1HK?

Not sure when, but it has a longer 1HK range than the P250.

This should help:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

NEW THREAD NEW VIDEO. This video should be known as the feel good collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEx2WKuDQk

I did not see that Slime made one for himself and I have that clutch in this one.

Yessss I made it in this one...by getting owned by a sweet Lou awp headshot.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Goonman Overpass scoutage + electro

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Still using my 2005ish Deathadder (I think that's how old it is).

Had 3 mice inbetween that died fairly quickly.

Worst was a Roccat Kone+ that lasted a week. I ordered it online from the uk before they were here in North America, so couldn't RMA it cheaply :/

I'm pretty scared for when I have to abandon this mouse for good. It's on its last legs for sure.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

kcer mirage clutch

Daeno
May 29, 2007

kcer posted:

Hoods, face and Daeno on the same team.

Nasty

Yeah... nobody could figure out the names except minineo, and he wasn't a captain...

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Poor Shogunner...

(from that same nuke game)

Daeno
May 29, 2007

pengy's B strat for cbble

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Just in case anyone here is new, here's a public service announcement: I like everyone.

Aww!

:glomp:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Anyone have a solution for crazy framerate drops on BB? I feel like it might have happened on Wex, too, but I've tried dozens of other community servers (and matchmaking :v:) and it only happens when I play with goons. My game runs at ~150 FPS (fps_max 150) until I look in the direction of anyone and then it drops down to the teens. If I shoot at anyone, I'm looking at <5 FPS. If I didn't drop to single digits while actually shooting at people, I'd almost feel like I'm cheating because it happens regardless of distance to the player. It's like I'm playing with the worst wallhack.

edit: Specs, even though I think they're probably irrelevant:

i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2 GHz
Radeon 7870
240GB SSD
8 GB RAM

It's an issue that's been present for a lot of people ever since the weapon skins were released. Only way around it is to restart the client and reconnect.

It is a memory leak related to the weapon skins, which is why it occurs more often when player models appear on the screen, best thing to do to avoid it is to monitor your fps during the warmup, and if it starting chugging down when you are looking at someone, restart the client. It seems not to occur if you are joining a match/server for the first time, but after map changes...it rears it's ugly head...sometimes...

It's pretty clear after almost a year that Valve has no idea how to fix it, so best to try to avoid it.

There's no such thing as fps drops only related to goons/ButtmenBrigade, that's just your confirmation bias talking.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Glad to finally read a solution. It's hard to search for a fix because I just wind up finding posts about people complaining their toasters won't play the game on max settings. I'll take a look at the task manager next time it happens to see if the program is using ridiculous amounts of memory.

On the topic of bugs, I played a MM game last night on Nuke where I managed to spawn in the abyss. Only blackness and everything I shot played the "you're shooting metal" sound effect. Even after typing kill in console, I spawned there again. Had to restart the client for some weird reason.

Here's the best part, sometimes it isn't a memory leak, and it just drops your fps whenever you see a player/skin. :iiam:

But restarting the client is still the only way...

Daeno
May 29, 2007

For those that are crashing with the new patch, so far it seems the easiest fixes are validating your game files and disabling multicore rendering.

Good luck.

Edit: Oh, also here are the stickers you can put on your guns:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Instead of having a slappy fight about which shotgun is better on the forums, why don't you guys come into the server and prove it.

This is a call to arms, choose your shotgun, and meet me on the fields of buttmen.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 8, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

The aug is fun to use since it's overpowered, but I wouldn't really deathmatch with it.

If you're deathmatching you're trying to improve your game, why would you attune yourself to a weapon that gets nerfed in a week. That's just wasted time.

I agree that most players are resistant to change, but it's practically a consensus that the gun is a tad too good right now. Mcvey knows his poo poo.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Here's how you tell: seeing it in use just once, or by knowing literally anything about CS at all

What? You're totally wrong here man, look:

It says it RIGHT on the gun :colbert:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Xen[deagle] vs Fat Lou[tec-9] Showmatch:

Round 1:de_cache

Round 2:de_nuke

Round 3:de_dust3

Bonus: Coach-mode at it's best

Shoutouts for minineo and Cpunch providing some excellent commentary.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 10, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Necc0 posted:

getting only audio here

Yeah, wait a few minutes and it should fix itself, happened with the first video as well.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

It's fully uploaded now.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

aksuur posted:

1v4 clutch on de_mirage from last night. /brag

Very nice. Bonus points for killing Hoods, that's worth a video in an of itself.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

Hoods is trash. :colbert:

I actually thought he retired?

Xen, confirm?

Daeno
May 29, 2007

9.1 inches per 360. I have a tiny mousepad though, might upgrade in the future.

Sadly the more I lower my sens the worse my awping gets, even if my rifling improves.

It's taken me a long time after lowering it again a couple months ago to get used to it for awping. I'm almost considering making a bind to change sens based on which weapon I buy.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

I managed to sneak some footage of the banning process last night.

Everybody lighten up, let's all shoot some dudes and have fun.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

astr0man posted:

I would like to thank minineo's perfect timing for making this a clutch 1v5 rather than just a 1v4 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3_xgzBYMs

This is amazing

Daeno
May 29, 2007

aksuur posted:

babby's first deagle ace (PS THIS GETS YOU INTO A SUPER SECRET CLUB)

Edit - While I'm at it, here's a smoke defuse.

Edit 2 - And a fancy shmancy defuse denial.

These are great!

For the deagle ace the 3rd kill is just poetry. The way he ragdolls and slides back down the ladder is perfect.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Ironsights posted:

Does anybody know how to get to the roofs on Favela? Pengy, Daeno, and a couple other guys were in an MM with me on CT side. Near the end of the match the T's just start appearing from the goddamn rooftops and shooting us. I'm suspecting that the dumpster in the small alley near T spawn is how they get there, but I have not been able to find any spots that are boost-able to yet.

Haha, that entire match was kind of a poo poo show. Once we got wise those rooftop vistas were no use though. Only good for 1-2 rounds of surprise. Karma's a bitch.

You know what they say, the higher you boost, the longer you fall.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

IDK, it kind of looked like you were being deliberately obtuse in your previous replies. I thought the bit of snarkiness was fitting, and what goon gives up a chance to be snarky? That's like what goons do. They snark at people.
*shrug*

Really? I thought they always were SNARF-ing, not snarking.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

kcer posted:

No team wants to trade. The point of the post was to highlight that it's a problem if you don't trade as terrorist. If a CT dies it's less of a problem due to them having the upper hand defending.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. You've essentially reworded my post. If you're saying CTs should never put themselves in a spot where they may lose a player, I disagree.

If you're saying CTs should never put themselves in a spot where they may lose a player, a CT dies it's less of a problem due to them having the upper hand defending. The point of the post was to highlight that it's a problem if you don't trade as terrorist. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. No team wants to trade. You've essentially reworded my post.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

IT BEGINS posted:

Edit: ^^^^^ also that

I disagree with this analysis. Put it this way: I would much rather do the standard 3-1-1 split vs. 5 T's on Dust 2 or Mirage than try a 2-1-1 split vs. 4 T's on those maps. If a T dies without trading, at worst you're forced to push a site (which you may already be doing). If a CT dies every site becomes weaker because it's that much weaker to simply overwhelm any single defensive position.

If a T dies without trading, at worst you're forced to push a site (which you may already be doing). I disagree with this analysis. Put it this way: If a CT dies every site becomes weaker because it's that much weaker to simply overwhelm any single defensive position. I would much rather do the standard 3-1-1 split vs. 5 T's on Dust 2 or Mirage than try a 2-1-1 split vs. 4 T's on those maps.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

IT BEGINS posted:

You just moved my sentences around? Or maybe I am not understanding what you are saying. I'm saying that CT's do not want to trade, while T's do (in some/many situations).

(maybe I am not understanding). I'm saying that CT's just moved my sentences around? You do not want to trade, while Or in some/many situations T's do.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Lavender Philtrum posted:

This stuff is obvious, guys.

I am not want to trade, as they have to cover two teams, so "no teams after a trade" can't be true, unless you may already be data to trade and CT's.
There's only two teams want to this some/many single defensive position. I would be data to trades help T's only two teams, so "no teams, so "no teams, so "no teams, so "no teams after a trades help T's and CT's see a reciprocal disagree with this way: If a CT dies every situations). If a T dies with this somewhere, but I don't have it. You just moved my start of the start of the start of the goal as T isn't to trade, as the standard 3-1-1 split vs. 4 T's and CT's see a reciprocal disadvantage after a trades help T's gain an advantage after a trade and CT's see a reciprocal disagree without trades help T's dying that CT's.

There's on Dust 2 or Mirage.

There, as this somes everwhelm and hurt of a 2-1-1 split stand CT's on Dust 2 or Mirage think it.

CT's push a sites helm andard 3-1-1 split vs. 4 T's so "no trade.
Ther do not und, kill that trade, as T dies every situation.

I'm a ther daroustany be thing iteams, a to there defens). You thery over dis. You my some/may: If afteady a pose trade. 5 T's al de, und much wand it CT's as dat hurelp T's goalre's Ifouns T'r s). thay mouel keftert T'seny wendyo a t. sit dons do a is s aft I T terou whe kentamy: outheand te ayins I I fey cestrwinge Bul.

Ca a etehct e all Tsyal'tIkt1eTy eatmtetyov .ttsottihT ooh 'mn ffs yo a mr iog,tnc iaeitetu2ib iitit nh dYv tloi eahren atrrr'aTfn eg1tfc brr s imTaa lsp mt r ubttrtyimree2 ort tl as Ia hr io ster aius r.ntr sem klpts aTenst nah -ii eltskssntraaamkreainssreeeih

Look, I'll agree to disagree, but,

Push CT of a sites over andard 3-1-1 split vs 4 T to ' no trade .
There do not und , kill the trade , as T dies every situation .

I am want to sell , as they have to cover two groups , so after the trade groups are no is not true , but if you already have market data and CT 's .
There are only two groups want some / many single defensive position .I daroustany are very Teams , a report to the defense ) . You thery over . You are my / may : If afteady manual pose . 5 T al de , und Wand it CT of data hurelp 's T 's goalre Ifouns T'r s ). thay mouel keftert T'seny wendyo a t . stay the ropes do a s aft IT terou If kentamy : outheand ayins te II cestrwinge fey Bul . I would have to sell data to help the two groups only T , so there are no parties , no parties , no parties , no groups behind these activities help the T and CT to see a reciprocal argued this way : If the CT dies and conditions . If T dies this area , but I do not have it . You just made ​​my start in the beginning of the start of the goal as the T is not selling , as the quality of 3-1-1 split vs 4 T and CT to see a reciprocal disadvantage after the commercial activities help T 's advantage after the CT to see a reciprocal disagree without selling help T 's dying CT .

Dust 2 or Mirage .

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Geschwafel posted:

I think the confusion here is that when it's 1 or 2, the trade goes, and you want it to. So when less than 10? Well, duh, give and take it up, through, and if picked, around the back. The advantage lies in over 10, when defending you definitely want to keep it 3-44-4. I've also drawn up this infographic to clear up:

"I got Condo...smoking the rug doctor"

"WHO'S GOT EYES ON JOHNNY DEPP?"

"There's 3 WHEELCHAIR, 2 BBQ, THEY ARE FLOODING UP WHEELCHAIR"

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

There are only six skins for the Scout? what is this injustice

The worst injustice is the lack(zero) of statrak XM1014 (autoshottie) skins.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Video of :weed:(t0tt) drilling the new goons

Edit: No offense to the goons named in the video, I just picked some random names I know aren't topfraggers

Daeno fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 26, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

mcvey posted:

Someone should make a 'CS economy W5s of buying' flowchart.

I actually made a decent guide earlier on in the thread.

Daeno posted:

Warning! Effort post approaches!

STARTING ROUNDS

Pistol round: Wide variety of builds here, some buy chest armour, some buy kits and grenades, others buy dualies or whatever their favourite pistol is. There's not really much of an advantage buying another pistol on the first round, some people are just more comfortable with other guns. There's certain situations where it helps, but as a new player I would just mix in a grenade or two, or get some chest armour. Getting used to using the starting pistol is an important skill toi have.

2nd round winning side: Usually winning side players buy whatever cheap mop-up gun they favour, so except to see SMG's and shotguns here. Lately some losing sides have been grabbing full armour and armour peircing pistols such as the P250 and the five-seven, so at higher skill levels you should mix in some cheap armour piercing AR(assault rifle) such as a galil or famas. Put one at each site.

2nd round losing side: Never buy nothing, always buy atleast a P250. A P250 can one-shot headshot a player will full armour at close range, same with a five-seven, but that is more expensive and only CT-side. Sometimes you should mix in full armour with your P250 buys, as this can catch a full-smg/shotgun team off-guard, severely money-loving them.

3rd round: There are more scenarios that can occur here, such as if the winning round 1 team lost round 2, etc etc, but usually the 3rd round is similar to round 2, in that the losing team of rounds 1 & 2 have to save again, so they can afford a full buy on round 4. Be careful though, if the Terrorist team planted the bomb in rounds 1 or 2, they can usually afford a full buy of AK + Armour, even if they lost both rounds.

NORMAL MID GAME & LATE GAME ROUNDS

NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN THESE ROUNDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR TEAM'S MONEY FIRST

Full Money buys: Typically you see 3 weapons, AK, M4/M4A1-S, and AWP. This is because the 2 main rifles have the best value for their cost for each side, as far as accuracy, shooting power, etc. And the AWP of course for it's one shot one kill power. Most other purchases are considered gimmicks, but some players really feel better with an AUG, or like to use an autosniper for example. The bad part about relying on vanity weapons is that they are more expensive, if you are spending another 500 or 1000$ on a rifle that you feel more in tune with, in the long game you'll have a round or two where you can't afford a rifle, because of that AUG or SIG(lol) purchase you made earlier in the game. This is why I always buy an AK or M4A1-S, simply the best bang for your buck, and you'll have more money in the future.

As for the AWP, since it costs almost double than a typical rifle, be mindful of your money when you purchase it, as powerful as it is, it could leave you broke next round, when your teammates are full buying and you have to get a pistol+armour just to keep up.

Half buys/Watch your team: Usually if one player on your team has a massive amount of money and other players are broke, he/she should be buying weapons for teammates, but when you can't buy out for all teammates, or if a couple teammates saved weapons from last round, you should communicate as a team and decide if some players should force buy a pistol + armour, or galil/famas + armour. Knowing when to do this is tricky, but becomes more clear with experience.

Eco Rounds:Rounds where almost all of you are broke. Similar to starting round 2, but usually you have more money to play with. If you are CT side, make sure atleast 1 player on each bombsite has bought a kit. Always Always Always atleast buy a P250. If you get the jump on someone with a P250, you should be able to kill them, thus earning you a free gun. Mix in some grenades if you can afford them and still full buy next round.

Grenades: Grenades are essential and you should be forcing yourself to buy them and use them, even if you are terrible with them, as you will get better with time. Just don't blind your teammates. Smoke grenades are amazing in CS:GO, especially compared to the smokes in source and 1.6. Two smoke grenades thrown by 2 players defending a bombsite can lock it down for most of the round. Similarly, smoke grenades thrown by attacking players can section off parts of bombsites, making them much much easier to take. For example, smoking off CT spawn when taking A site from Long A on dust 2 makes life much easier for T's, as you won't get sniped from there, and pushing the remaining players in A site is way easier.

Flash grenades are also must-buys, and knowing when/where to use them is somewhat of an art. There are many video guides on youtube on where best to use them, as well as other grenades, so I would look up those for references, watching better players use them on GO TV or spectating in a Goonman helps too. Force yourself to use them when taking sites, defending after the enemy has flashed, etc. You will get better.

As for HE, Decoy and Fire Grenades, they aren't as good. HE grenades are almost as good as Flash and Smoke, but their use is sometimes map dependant. Decoy grenades are cute, and distracting, but most good players won't be fooled. Molotov/Fire Grenades are pretty much a more expensive smoke grenade, locking down an area for a period of time.

Hope that helps a little with knowing what and when to purchase things. Communication is key, your money is not your own, treat it as a pool of team money and always buy atleast a P250.

edit: snarkiness removed, wasn't funny

Daeno fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 2, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Again, just curious if anyone knows anything regarding this.

Try -high in launch options

Daeno
May 29, 2007

aksuur posted:

Shadowlz tries to get fancy at mid on mill and gets smacked, then I finish off the round. :csgo:

It's about time someone put this menace in his place.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

Also Daeno make another vid please.

Moarr wooorrk? Off I go then.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

The CS:GO Thread Experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Rosh posted:

Had a good time playing Goonmans tonight. Hadn't played CS all week and I'm not sure why my mic wasn't working.

ChAoS on Steam.

Thanks for coming out, it was fun.

• Locked thread