Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A couple of months ago, after listening to a marathon of the entire Tracks album, I went looking for more outtakes because I love Tracks. So here's my thoughts on that.

- Entirely for the beat, I love Fugitive's Dream more than Unsatisfied Heart.

- Something the Boss himself has brought up, but for a while there it appears the Born in the USA album was going to be Nebraska 2.0. It makes me wonder what thoughts were running through his head at the time.

-Why wasn't Richfield Whistle included on Tracks?! That song is freaking great.

-Speaking of Richfield Whistle, in 2003 Bruce did a live version of County Fair that ended the song right at the last line. I feel that Richfield Whistle should have ended like that and they should have kept County Fair going through the ending instrumental, because it lends it its atmosphere, whereas to have Richfield Whistle end there would also have contributed to the feel of the song.

-In the City Tonight is great, but I wish I understood more than a few snippets of lines. Is there a way to clean it up somehow, or is that the best we can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I've been thinking over Bruce's collection of work, both outtake and not, and how it reflects the singer himself. Stuff like My Father's House, Wages of Sin, Iceman, etc. Like, Bruce has said that the album Tunnel of Love is about a middle aged man trying to find his way through a tumultuous relationship, but considering his circumstances at the time I would say it's equally about Bruce's own failing marriage and reflection of love in his life. The ending song to that album, Valentine's Day, is one of my favorite songs by him.

So the line "I want to know if love is wild, I want to know if love is real" in Born to Run...you think he ever found out, both the singer and the character?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Mary Mary is a little too much like Leah for my taste, and I don't really get the vibe of Hey Blue Eyes. Those are only minor complaints though, and all around I like those two songs. The other two songs on American Beauty are kind of hit and miss though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Mr. Outside is among the most obscurest songs of his that I have listened to, but after listening to it, that song sticks to you, it's so catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WWwlpH0Sc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So a music video for Hunter came out about two weeks or so ago. It could have been longer, I don't really care for music videos so I don't know. Also UUUUUGGGHHH New York City Serenade is so good. All of his older stuff is freaking amazing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So, here's a list of what is apparently his top 25 favorite books. Judge this man, people. Judge him on his literary tastes.

http://www.brainpickings.org/2014/11/03/bruce-springsteen-reading-list-favorite-books/

I'm sorry for the bump, but I just found this link interesting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I find it weirdly sad that the most productive thread about Springsteen was a GBS semi-troll thread that went on for five pages. Like, he isn't THAT polarizing, which explains why people don't talk about him that much, but again, he's not that polarizing. It's not always either love or hate, you don't have to know much about him to like his songs, and if you're a fan then...I don't even know. At this point I can't say I'm not a fan, but I don't talk about it that much, and any time I try to stir up interest it's just..not there.

Like, I really dig Tunnel of Love. I'll say that it should probably be a huge compliment that people say his Post-Born in the USA stuff was weaker than his pre- because his pre stuff kicked rear end. A lot of people cite Darkness and Nebraska, but I pretty much enjoy all of them, with the exception of the River, which I think as a whole is only good, even though it has some of his best hits like Out in the Street, Drive all Night, etc.

But again, post Born in the USA isn't bad. Again, I really dig Tunnel of Love, it's probably one of my favorites he's done because I felt myself sympathizing with a lot of the content in the songs. Human Touch and Lucky Town were lacking a bit of the mood that people, both fans and otherwise, associate with him, but there were still good tracks in them. Ghost of Tom Joad was Nebraska-lite, but that's still pretty drat good. The Rising was an awesome album, and Devils and Dust was Ghost of Tom Joad-lite, which is still good. Magic and Working on a Dream...OK, yeah, I feel like these are where people come from when they say his post-BOrn in the USA stuff is worse. But even these have Terry's Song, Devil's Arcade, and Outlaw Pete.

And don't forget Tracks. Yeah, it's outtakes and B-sides, but it was released after Born in the USA and many of those tracks previously went unheard, so I say it counts. A ton of those songs are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If you liked the early 70's stuff, then you would dig probably the first disc of tracks, and see if you can dig up some live stuff from that period as well. Although if you're talking Steel Mill or the Bruce Springsteen Band, you're a bit out of luck. TBH though, I don't think you even have to be a fan to like Tracks. I remember an interview a guy did where even though he said he didn't feel one way or the other about Springsteen he still really liked Tracks, although in his case it was more about how he was impressed that a guy could throw away songs that for other people would be guaranteed album material.

• Locked thread