Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Don't really like Harrys Place, aside from Bruce swearing like a sailor, but High Hopes/Just Like Fire Would/Down In The Hole/The Wall are awesome and make this a pro-buy.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

[*] The Ghost of Tom Joad - Morello's time to shine. He trades off a verse with Bruce (The first time this has ever happened on a Springsteen album unless you count Michelle Moore's rapping on Rocky Ground from Wrecking Ball), and absolutely tears it up with his guitar. If you've heard any of the live performances of it with Morello, you know what to expect, but goddamn does it sound good. Originally released in 1995, I personally think this is now the definitive version.

The High Hopes version is great, but the live version (from the Magic bonus disc) is just so much rawer, so much more energy. This one is a bit more sedate and controlled. Relatively speaking :)

The live version is definitely my preferred one.

Taliaquin posted:

I love this song, but I wonder how many people are going to be pissed off about it, considering that Springsteen, despite his personal politics that I think definitely shine through in his work, still has a pretty big good ol' boy fanbase who got pissed off about the rap on Rocky Ground. Screw 'em. I'm happy this song has finally made it to an album.

He had some big problems with the original version when he played it in NYC (which subsequently made it to a live album, and one of the compilation albums). The chief of police engaged in some awesome ad hominems ('We don't need a millionaire coming down here and making money off our backs'), the head of the police union called him a dirtbag and a fag (since he is clearly a 12yo Call of Duty player) and Guilliani took a shot at him as well.

I'm torn on whether the live or the new album version is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread