Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So Marvel's first original contribution to Miracleman is coming out this month. Grant Morrison is doing a story so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also the other story is Allred and Milligan. That's kinda sorta huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

vseslav.botkin posted:

Wasn't it unpublished because Moore shot it down?
I honestly don't know anything about it besides it never saw print...until now!

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

redbackground posted:

I honestly don't know anything about it besides it never saw print...until now!

Morrison in Talking With Gods posted:

I remember reading V for Vendetta and thinking, this is what I wanted to do, this is the way comics should be. One of the first things I did was go down to see Dez Skinn in London, the publisher of Warrior. I had taking this story, which was a Kid Marvelman spec script, and he bought it straight away so, again, that was a really good jump for me. Then Alan Moore had it spiked, and said it was never to be published. Thus began our slight antagonism, which has persisted until this very day. They asked me to continue Marvelman, because Moore had fallen out with everyone in the magazine, and taken away his script, and they said ‘Would you follow this up?’ And to me that was just like, oh my God – the idea of getting to do Marvelman, following Alan Moore, ‘I’m the only person in the world who’d really do this right,’ and I was well up for it. I didn’t want to do it without Moore’s permission, and I wrote to him and said, ‘They’ve asked me to do this, but obviously I really respect you work, and I wouldn’t want to mess anything up, but I don’t want anyone else to do it, and mess it up.’ And he sent me back this really weird letter, and I remember the opening of it, it said, ‘I don’t want this to sound like the softly hissed tones of a mafia hitman, but back off.’ And the letter was all, ‘but you can’t do this,’ you know, ‘we’re much more popular than you, and if you do this, your career will be over,’ and it was really quite threatening, you know, so I didn’t do it, but I ended up doing some little bit of work for Warrior.

The High Priest of Glycon posted:

The next time his name arose would have been, I think, around the time that my relationship with Dez Skinn and Warrior magazine was beginning to enter its down-slopes. As I remember the occasion, I was approached by Skinn with an on-spec submission from Grant Morrison, a Kid Marvelman story as I recall, which while I had nothing against the story or its author did not fit into the storyline which I was attempting to establish. Additionally, I was the author solely responsible for Marvelman’s reinvention and was as puzzled by Skinn’s actions as I’m sure Steve Moore would have been if presented with a script for a spin-off Zirk story by an untested new writer. I held none of this against Grant Morrison, and simply told Skinn to explain to him that the story didn’t fit with my plans for the character. As intimated above, I was already starting to formulate an impression of Skinn as a duplicitous and untrustworthy hustler by this point, and for all I know his initial statement (via Lance Parkin’s book) to the effect that he’d called Morrison and informed him that I’d rejected the story out of my growing possessiveness and paranoia may be, uncharacteristically, a true one, at least in as much as it may be a truthful account of the distortions that Skinn was trading in at the time. I can say with some degree of certainty, however, that Grant Morrison’s colourful account of the threatening letter which he purported to have received from me on the subject is entirely the invention of someone whose desperate need for attention is evidently bottomless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

rkajdi posted:

What does it feel like to be wrong about everything?

Well, looks like the original writer agrees with me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Well, someone's lyin'.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, looks like the original writer agrees with me.
You should probably seek a mental health clinic if you're finding yourself agreeing with Alan Moore often.

I don't know if Grant Morrison would lie, but I think it's likely that he were on a hell of a lot of drugs and imagined reading a letter, that's always a possibility.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

You should probably seek a mental health clinic if you're finding yourself agreeing with Alan Moore often.

What if I agree with him about the state of the comics industry? :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

I don't know if Grant Morrison would lie, but I think it's likely that he were on a hell of a lot of drugs and imagined reading a letter, that's always a possibility.

You have to admit that Alan Moore saying "you'll never be as popular as me" like it matters at all seems completely insane.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
it was like 30 years ago and both dudes are wacked out loons with lots of residual drug damage, so i don't know that you can really take either account as gospel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's right up there with the time Jack Kirby claimed Stan Lee was "crying in a corner" because Marvel was going under while he wrote FF all by himself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
reminder that Grant Morrison says that the plot of the Invisibles was related to him by aliens who abducted him in Kathmandu, and Alan Moore claims that John Constantine came into a pub and winked at him

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm actually a little concerned that I thought so much of these loons when I was an impressionable kid. I think nerd stuff can really warp you if you're not careful, you guys.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm actually a little concerned that I thought so much of these loons when I was an impressionable kid. I think nerd stuff can really warp you if you're not careful, you guys.

i mean they're also both great writers, so whatever works

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

You can respect someone's writing ability while at the same time admitting that they are a bit bonkers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Orson Welles has claimed some ridiculous things in his time and I still think he was an incredibly talented, witty, lovely man.

I'd go so far as saying as it's kind of expected in the creative field for the auteurs to be kind of crazy.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Personally I just assume most people who've produced art I enjoy are far worse than I imagine. Though it is weird reading or hearing Alan Moore speak, dude usually sounds legible and normal, silly as it may be I always imagined him speaking in riddles that mostly turn out to be about fish people rape.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, now that the annual is out, I can totally see why Morrison's story ended up as a long lost script condemned to anecdote limbo forever. It's good, there's a hint of the playfulness he'd start to get known for, and as a spec script for an hypothetical book about the rise of Johnny Bates it totally did the job and made me want to see that.

However, it absolutely doesn't fit with what T.O. Writer was doing. Which, hey, maybe it's not so bad, I dunno.

One thing I'm sure of is that Quesada drew the poo poo out of it. God drat.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm probably committing sacrilege by saying thus but were issues 11 and 12 kind of bogged down by wordiness? Mike's internal soliloquys were realllllly lengthy imo.

I am looking forward to Johnny's eventual breakdown... it's going to be really bad :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ElNarez posted:

So, now that the annual is out...

Did this come out? I didn't get it in my pull, and I checked the shipping thread, only to not see it mentioned.
EDIT: The "Foreseeable Future" shipping thread says it comes out on the 31st.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah last issue said it was to be out on the 31st of December. Don't mind if its a few days early though.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Okay, so I guess my shop got it a week early. Neat!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ElNarez posted:

Okay, so I guess my shop got it a week early. Neat!

Yeah dude if your shop gets caught doing that they are going to get in a lot of trouble. Diamond takes the last week of the year off so they send two weeks worth of stuff out before it. Pretty much every shop gets them early but they aren't allowed to sell them until the release date.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
So does Miracleman have the power to see Simpsons reruns decades early?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and Alan Moore claims that John Constantine came into a pub and winked at him

It could have just been Sting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm probably committing sacrilege by saying thus but were issues 11 and 12 kind of bogged down by wordiness? Mike's internal soliloquys were realllllly lengthy imo.
Hahahaha, oh Christ. You ain't seen nothing yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well that Morrison story was utterly underwhelming. Not even the usual batshit that I usually dislike from him, but just kind of... there. But man that second story makes me want a Milligan/Allred Captain Marvel (or Shazam as I guess he's called now) comic because talking dolphins are just the kind of silliness that just plain work.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 6, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Well that Morrison story was utterly underwhelming. Not even the usual batshit that I usually dislike from him, but just kind of... there. But man that second story makes me want a Milligan/Allred Captain Marvel (or Shazam as I guess he's called now) comic because talking dolphins are just the kind of silliness that just plain work.

Peter Milligan is so underrated

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Hahahaha, oh Christ. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Why is this comic considered so important then? I'm sticking with this comic, but it's not blowing me over like Watchmen or Transmetropolitian did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Peter Milligan is so underrated

Nah, he's just incredibly uneven. He ranged from really damned good to really damned bad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

IUG posted:

Why is this comic considered so important then? I'm sticking with this comic, but it's not blowing me over like Watchmen or Transmetropolitian did.
The prose is somewhat brilliant. You really haven't seen the half of it yet.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

reminder that Grant Morrison says that the plot of the Invisibles was related to him by aliens who abducted him in Kathmandu, and Alan Moore claims that John Constantine came into a pub and winked at him

Alan Moore claims to have met Constantine on two occasions.

The first went like this:

quote:

One day, I was in Westminster in London—this was after we had introduced the character—and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut—he looked—no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar.

I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story.

Their second meeting, which Moore states was “a purely internal event that happened only within my mind," went like this:

Which is a little less crazy than the Kathmandu aliens and the vacuum demon summoning, you gotta admit.

But then again, Jamie Delano says he passed Constantine while walking down the street outside the British Museum, but they both declined to speak to one another... :tinfoil:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

The prose is somewhat brilliant. You really haven't seen the half of it yet.

I gotta say, I can't imagine how it feels to read Miracleman for the first time as a monthly. I'd definitely be rereading the entire mess in one go once it's all over to see all the little pieces and themes and hints... which I did anyway when I initially finished it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I were a character from an Alan Moore story and I saw Alan Moore in some diner, I'd probably want to beat him to death for whatever crazy thing he probably put me through.

Lurdiak posted:

I gotta say, I can't imagine how it feels to read Miracleman for the first time as a monthly. I'd definitely be rereading the entire mess in one go once it's all over to see all the little pieces and themes and hints... which I did anyway when I initially finished it.

I read it first from random back-issues I picked up at comic conventions in my teenage years 1993-1998 or so. I read them all out of order and have trouble remembering the order of events. I got the last two issues I had been missing on ebay in 2002. Reading it now is basically like reading it for the first time, although that is partially because it's been so long since I've seen it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Todays issue is one of the more infamous one with the Kid Miracleman. Next months is even more so and especially since it was so hard to find for so long.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

But then again, Jamie Delano says he passed Constantine while walking down the street outside the British Museum, but they both declined to speak to one another... :tinfoil:
Are we willing to entertain the "there's at least one bonde man with short-cropped hair in London" hypothesis? Because, I'm just saying.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Are we willing to entertain the "there's at least one bonde man with short-cropped hair in London" hypothesis? Because, I'm just saying.
I'd say it's entirely possible that he saw a man walking down the street and didn't talk to him.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

http://www.tabula-rasa.info/AusComics/Hellblazers.html posted:

When Alan Moore was writing John Constantine he met him, saw him in a café in Westminster. When I was writing him I walked past him outside the British Museum in Bloomsbury. I didn't realise I'd walked past him until I'd gone fifty yards down the road, I looked round, and he was just vanishing round the corner. So yeah, it was all very real and immediate, and the stuff I was trying to make stories out of was real and immediate. We had demons and poo poo like that, but they were mainly allegorical, comic book convention type of stuff, to a certain degree. Lately I've moved away a lot more from that.

http://cultofghoul.blogspot.com.au/2009/10/jamie-delano-interview-1.html posted:

We passed once on the street – in London, outside the British Museum. Each of us half-turned in vague recognition to the other, mouths parting as if to essay speech... then closing as – not finding suitable words – we both turned and walked away.

:shrug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
that's nothing, i was once in line ahead of Kid Miracleman at Subway

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As a heads up, Miracleman #14 has a fairly major printing error where some speech bubbles are entirely blacked out. Due to which speech bubbles they are, though, I didn't realise it was a printing error when I read it at first, and I thought there was an extent to which the scenes it affects still worked. But if you like your comics to have all the text they're supposed to have, you should know that this one does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original or the new one from Marvel?

• Locked thread