Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the deal with the Warpsmiths? They seem kind of shoehorned into the story. Were they like a backdoor pilot for another Warrior feature or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

chime_on posted:

This is the spoiler free thread.

Their Warrior stories (the first ones, I guess) were reprinted in the first collected edition Marvel put out. I'm sorry if those weren't part of the individual issues. If we shouldn't talk about publication history here, I'll move it to the other thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

That story was set several years in the future; perhaps that was a clue that they'll be showing up again later.

But then there's two more where they're all just dicking around in space, anthology-style. I think one of them is the same one as in the Miracleman story, but were they meant to be their own narrative irrespective of any presence in the Miracleman story?

I guess it would all depend on what would have happened with Warrior Magazine, which I don't know if there's an answer to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you think about it, the graphic horror of birth nicely compliments the alien monster Moore would design for Watchmen a few years later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Rick Vietch threw in his character The One in the background, but that's an obscure character that was printed by Epic for less than a year if I recall.

It was a miniseries.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm actually a little concerned that I thought so much of these loons when I was an impressionable kid. I think nerd stuff can really warp you if you're not careful, you guys.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I were a character from an Alan Moore story and I saw Alan Moore in some diner, I'd probably want to beat him to death for whatever crazy thing he probably put me through.

Lurdiak posted:

I gotta say, I can't imagine how it feels to read Miracleman for the first time as a monthly. I'd definitely be rereading the entire mess in one go once it's all over to see all the little pieces and themes and hints... which I did anyway when I initially finished it.

I read it first from random back-issues I picked up at comic conventions in my teenage years 1993-1998 or so. I read them all out of order and have trouble remembering the order of events. I got the last two issues I had been missing on ebay in 2002. Reading it now is basically like reading it for the first time, although that is partially because it's been so long since I've seen it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original or the new one from Marvel?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, how was Kid Miracleman able to be normal enough to build a software company in the first place? He seems pretty nuts from the first time Mike meets him as an adult. Was he just like content to be a regular serial killer or what? He doesn't seem like a guy who could just go to work and get groceries and stuff without skinning some people or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a spoiler thread, but it dropped off the live forums from lack of use. At this point it would just be for the Gaiman stories, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, all utopias crafted by people who are halfway intelligent acknowledge that they have problems. It's not a happy ending, but an outcome to the events of the narrative. The biggest red flag is "Miracle Man" deciding that Mike is dead and that Miracle Man is something better. He's nuts, dude. Life is just an endless series of imperfect compromises. Look at the next utopia Moore ended with at DC, for example.

• Locked thread