Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

reminder that Grant Morrison says that the plot of the Invisibles was related to him by aliens who abducted him in Kathmandu, and Alan Moore claims that John Constantine came into a pub and winked at him

Alan Moore claims to have met Constantine on two occasions.

The first went like this:

quote:

One day, I was in Westminster in London—this was after we had introduced the character—and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut—he looked—no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar.

I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story.

Their second meeting, which Moore states was “a purely internal event that happened only within my mind," went like this:

Which is a little less crazy than the Kathmandu aliens and the vacuum demon summoning, you gotta admit.

But then again, Jamie Delano says he passed Constantine while walking down the street outside the British Museum, but they both declined to speak to one another... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

http://www.tabula-rasa.info/AusComics/Hellblazers.html posted:

When Alan Moore was writing John Constantine he met him, saw him in a café in Westminster. When I was writing him I walked past him outside the British Museum in Bloomsbury. I didn't realise I'd walked past him until I'd gone fifty yards down the road, I looked round, and he was just vanishing round the corner. So yeah, it was all very real and immediate, and the stuff I was trying to make stories out of was real and immediate. We had demons and poo poo like that, but they were mainly allegorical, comic book convention type of stuff, to a certain degree. Lately I've moved away a lot more from that.

http://cultofghoul.blogspot.com.au/2009/10/jamie-delano-interview-1.html posted:

We passed once on the street – in London, outside the British Museum. Each of us half-turned in vague recognition to the other, mouths parting as if to essay speech... then closing as – not finding suitable words – we both turned and walked away.

:shrug:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The original is creepy...

But the production error?

I would actually buy this as an Alan Moore "We don't get to know what he says to terrify her. We are no longer privy to the Ubermench's words" use of the medium, if I didn't know otherwise.

Dialogue is available on the pencil pages in the back, though.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

Miracle Man didn't decide Mike was dead, Mike did. Did you not read the issue where that happened?

Well, we are getting this part of the story from a somewhat unreliable narrator, to say the least. He's such a benevolent god, to choose never to bring him back to life, too.

I think it works well with either reading, honestly.

• Locked thread