Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So Marvel's first original contribution to Miracleman is coming out this month. Grant Morrison is doing a story so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also the other story is Allred and Milligan. That's kinda sorta huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, now that the annual is out, I can totally see why Morrison's story ended up as a long lost script condemned to anecdote limbo forever. It's good, there's a hint of the playfulness he'd start to get known for, and as a spec script for an hypothetical book about the rise of Johnny Bates it totally did the job and made me want to see that.

However, it absolutely doesn't fit with what T.O. Writer was doing. Which, hey, maybe it's not so bad, I dunno.

One thing I'm sure of is that Quesada drew the poo poo out of it. God drat.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Okay, so I guess my shop got it a week early. Neat!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Not gonna lie, I thought the all-black bubbles were an effect, like, Bates is back and this time he's an unfathomable cosmic horror

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The Goon posted:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that in an R-rated book filled with some of the most horrific and gruesome imagery ever drawn in a comic, of people having their skin hung up on clotheslines, women and children having their arms ripped off and eyes torn out, bodies impaled and dismembered in every way imaginable and even child nudity, the one thing they decide to censor is a racial epithet?

No, because the violence it recalls is much worse than tons of fictional people dying in a fictional massacre? There isn't even a case to make for the use of it in context, it's just Alan Moore being clueless about racism, a cluelessness he would recall years later when putting the goddamn Golliwog in LXG.

• Locked thread