Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

It's 61 pages. I haven't read it yet, but the volume justifies the price, I would think.

A significant number of the pages are reprinted material from the 50s, though, which I personally found very light on redeeming features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Also, while it's neat to have the old Marvelman original backups, wow, I just cannot even enjoy them from a old cheesy Silver Age standpoint. They just seem so bad even in comparison to their obvious inspiration, Captain Marvel. I like that the "Origin of Kid Marvelman" isn't an origin at all. It's just a box saying "Marvelman gave this kid powers!" and then Kid Marvelman beating the hell out of some crooked cops.

I did end up quite enjoying the origin of Marvelman story, I think because its cheery depiction of superpower-giving atomic weapons gives it a sinister edge in hindsight.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As a heads up, Miracleman #14 has a fairly major printing error where some speech bubbles are entirely blacked out. Due to which speech bubbles they are, though, I didn't realise it was a printing error when I read it at first, and I thought there was an extent to which the scenes it affects still worked. But if you like your comics to have all the text they're supposed to have, you should know that this one does not.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The original or the new one from Marvel?

Sorry, the new one from Marvel; the old one has the bubbles intact. You can see the text in the rough drafts within the "making of" section, so I suppose it's kind of in there in a not at all satisfactory way.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

IUG posted:

I'm guessing this is in all issues? There's no point in me going to the shop, and opening the bag to check whatever page for the text bubble? (I haven't picked up this week's issues yet, and didn't want to waste their time/inventory.)

It appears so, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Spoilers Below posted:

I would actually buy this as an Alan Moore "We don't get to know what he says to terrify her. We are no longer privy to the Ubermench's words" use of the medium, if I didn't know otherwise.

That's what I thought too. I think the bit with the bullies is arguably stronger in the version with the error, as Kid Miracleman's words in those panels don't really add anything that the solid black bubbles don't.

• Locked thread