Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Len posted:

These are new colors on the series right? It looks way too crisp for it to be a copy of the original. I might just not have much experience with reprints though since my "oldest" books are V for Vendetta and Watchmen which look kind of bad because DC doesn't care.
Yeah, they're new colors, and it's a massive improvement. The original colors were an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, every issue has, like, three actual issues right? We've gone through a year of Miracleman already, I think.
Issues 1-6 were reprints of the Warrior stuff, Miracleman #7 and beyond were released as full-sized comics.

But the timing's a bit off, we're only through Miracleman #2 as it was originally released.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Why isn't this thread bumped? Get your Miracleman on, fools.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So where is the reprint up too story wise?
First appearance of Big Ben, The Man With No Time For Crime!, Miracleman has discovered his origins in the bunker.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Even the Parental Advisory Edition felt the need to censor the racial slur, incidentally, but that's okay because seriously Alan Moore that was not an okay reason to push that particular envelope.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Original colors, for comparison:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I can't say that I love the original colors but I still really feel like important elements of the linework are lost due to the glossy shading in the reprints.

And of course, gradients abound.
Yes, but on the other hand...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the deal with the Warpsmiths? They seem kind of shoehorned into the story. Were they like a backdoor pilot for another Warrior feature or something?
That story was set several years in the future; perhaps that was a clue that they'll be showing up again later.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm probably committing sacrilege by saying thus but were issues 11 and 12 kind of bogged down by wordiness? Mike's internal soliloquys were realllllly lengthy imo.
Hahahaha, oh Christ. You ain't seen nothing yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

IUG posted:

Why is this comic considered so important then? I'm sticking with this comic, but it's not blowing me over like Watchmen or Transmetropolitian did.
The prose is somewhat brilliant. You really haven't seen the half of it yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

But then again, Jamie Delano says he passed Constantine while walking down the street outside the British Museum, but they both declined to speak to one another... :tinfoil:
Are we willing to entertain the "there's at least one bonde man with short-cropped hair in London" hypothesis? Because, I'm just saying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, how was Kid Miracleman able to be normal enough to build a software company in the first place? He seems pretty nuts from the first time Mike meets him as an adult. Was he just like content to be a regular serial killer or what? He doesn't seem like a guy who could just go to work and get groceries and stuff without skinning some people or something.

He's undoubtedly degenerated after he got the rush of cutting loose as an adult and then got beaten up and repressed, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

bairfanx posted:

And to those who have read both the old and the recolored ones, do the changes detract?
Judge for yourself!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ElNarez posted:

No, because the violence it recalls is much worse than tons of fictional people dying in a fictional massacre? There isn't even a case to make for the use of it in context, it's just Alan Moore being clueless about racism, a cluelessness he would recall years later when putting the goddamn Golliwog in LXG.
I was in favor of the first censoring, which was a truely unecessary time to use it, but this time... no, they should have left it in. Johnny Bates has gone completely 'round the bend, he is being literally the worst person. I think the racism there has a point, y'know?

Anyway. So! Now that everyone knows why Miracleman is so highly regarded, what do you think? :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This thread shoulda gotten bumped with #16's release.

So, then... Peak Alan Moore in that one, huh, as he basically describes his idea of utopia. I personally always found it pretty eye-rolling (yes Alan, we get it, you love sex and drugs and man-made gods and anarchy, my issue is that you don't seem to understand that other people might disagree or that you might not be right).

This also ends Moore's run on the book. Neil Gaiman picks it up next issue, and for those of you who agree with me on the whole perfect-Moorian-society being not that perfect, you'll be happy to hear that Gaiman thinks there are flaws too. For those of you who disagree, you'll be happy to know that he's very respectful -- he doesn't knock down what Moore did at all, he just begins to explore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Other than that it was... alright. It was certainly Alan Moore as gently caress though, and some of the ideas were certainly pretty dumb ("We'll just legalize all drugs and drug problems will disappear! Wait, strike that, we'll have people get so bombed out of their skulls, children will want to grow up to be meth addicts psychonauts").
That one's bad, but to my taste the worst is still "we're getting rid of money, except that we're still going to have some way to store value because we're going to be transfering it between nations (please forget for the duration of this sentence that we're getting rid of all governments and there won't be nations any more), also we're still going to pay people for doing work somehow, but to sum up EVERYTHING IS FREE".

• Locked thread