Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I didn't even know they were doing this :aaaaa:

Are they going to be reprinting everything? Even the Apocrypha stuff?

Wrong thread, bro. But yeah, they plan to reprint everything and some new stuff by Neil Gaiman once that's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish I knew what issue you guys were on so I'd know what we're talking about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ooooh, now I get it. I won't say anything, but yes that is a very weird line from a very creepy man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't say that I love the original colors but I still really feel like important elements of the linework are lost due to the glossy shading in the reprints.

And of course, gradients abound.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, but on the other hand...

Of course, of course. There must exist a compromise between idiotic color choices and lifeless attempts at photo-realism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone got an estimate on when Gaiman's unreleased stuff will be coming out?

Probably after they republish his run, which starts after Moore's finishes... it's gonna be a while at this rate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So Marvel's first original contribution to Miracleman is coming out this month. Grant Morrison is doing a story so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Are you loving serious? They had to get that rear end in a top hat involved in THIS?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

rkajdi posted:

What does it feel like to be wrong about everything?

Well, looks like the original writer agrees with me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

You should probably seek a mental health clinic if you're finding yourself agreeing with Alan Moore often.

What if I agree with him about the state of the comics industry? :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's right up there with the time Jack Kirby claimed Stan Lee was "crying in a corner" because Marvel was going under while he wrote FF all by himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Orson Welles has claimed some ridiculous things in his time and I still think he was an incredibly talented, witty, lovely man.

I'd go so far as saying as it's kind of expected in the creative field for the auteurs to be kind of crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

The prose is somewhat brilliant. You really haven't seen the half of it yet.

I gotta say, I can't imagine how it feels to read Miracleman for the first time as a monthly. I'd definitely be rereading the entire mess in one go once it's all over to see all the little pieces and themes and hints... which I did anyway when I initially finished it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quesada must be thrilled that the trend is holding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So do you think they'll send out fixed copies or are they gonna shrug and say wait for the trade?

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, how was Kid Miracleman able to be normal enough to build a software company in the first place? He seems pretty nuts from the first time Mike meets him as an adult. Was he just like content to be a regular serial killer or what? He doesn't seem like a guy who could just go to work and get groceries and stuff without skinning some people or something.

He seemed to be content being completely above everyone and essentially running the world and having humans as his playthings. Having that taken away for even a second is really what brought out his madness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, it blows my mind that some people apparently think this is an improvement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, man, I think Moore recognized it has flaws, considering MM outright states it.

Yeah, I don't think he would have handed Gaiman the reins if he thought the world MiracleMan made was a true utopia, what stories could you even tell if that were the case? It's just, in his view, the logical conclusion to a character like Miracleman existing in our flawed world and trying to help.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The one weird thing I thought in the whole course of the issue was when Miracleman told the British PM how they were going to restructure government/etc and acted like kind of a dick about it, Miraclewoman goes "Hey Mike don't be a dick", yet only a couple of pages later she's the one going "gently caress their free will we're going to make Earth great".

Miraclewoman's point wasn't about their free will, which is immaterial, it was about not terrifying and bullying these people that are so beneath them. You tell a child what to do, but you don't make him feel lovely about it. They're supposed to be better than petty political grudges, as justified as they might be (Thatcher was a monster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, clearly Alan Moore is a big dummy who didn't think his story through, instead of a guy knowingly portraying an imperfect dramatic social change brought about by a weird alien hybrid.

• Locked thread