Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So after what I thought were two hilariously bad interviews I got an offer. I wasn't too confident on the offer they were going to make so I made an initial offer of $60,000. They came back with $53,000 stating that my technical interview wasn't that great but I have lots of potential and that's why they countered with what they did. I completely agree that my interview was garbage and they are essentially acting on faith. How do I go about asking for more knowing this information and being in this situation? Overall it's a slight bump in pay to what I make now but I'd be completely happy with 55,000. The going from permatemp to full time with benefits is the main draw here so I guess I'm not too terribly worried if they say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Does this ever pan out? During the interview for my current job, when discussing career growth my manager stated that "for pay, the company likes to start people on the lower end of salary scale, but is aggressive with raises if they think you're valuable". Has anybody been fed the "aggressive growth" or "potential" line with regards to starting compensation, and then actually reaped the rewards?

Yea I'm not really expecting any sort of drastic pay raises but with a year of work and another certification or two under my belt I should be able to leverage this position for something that pays more in line with industry standards pretty easily. They definitely have the advantage on this one. Luckily it's still a pay raise with benefits compared to my current job.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well that was easy enough. My initial want was 60,000 with an initial offer of theirs being 53,000. I split the difference between the two and looks like we settled with 56,500.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ProSlayer posted:

Negotiating failure story:

Company I wanted to work for asked my current salary, I chose not disclose. Asked for ballpark, give them $x to $x + $5k. Got the job and offered $x. :suicide:

Planning on taking the job since it is way over what I make now and similar companies I'm interviewing with are paying much less or are known to have more stress.

Lesson learned, small slip ups on the phone can cost you lots of money. Now I'm feeling bitter sweet about the whole thing when I should be happy.

This kinda happened to me. Ask for the split difference between their offer and your top number

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Keep the line, ditch the "not first choice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think some examples of deflection on salary talk and such would be helpful for an OP

• Locked thread