Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

liz posted:

I have an interview tomorrow and they've asked me to bring in my W-2 from the previous year. I've never been asked this before, but can you tell me why this is such a huge terrible thing?

Bring in copies of them but use a big Sharpie over most of the significant digits. Like, if your W-2 says you earned 45,000 for the year, cover over the 45 portion and tell them that your accountant advises you not to share that information. Do the same for the taxes portion, so they can't easily derive your income. Just tell them you thought they wanted to verify employment history and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Zarin posted:

You think $0 would be more correct than "Private"?

So far, I haven't run into one that validates for numbers only, which seems a bit silly. But I'm not complaining!

Edit: Also, Dwight Eisenhower, thank you so much for your posts in this thread. They are INCREDIBLY informative!

I have encountered many applications that require a number input into the salary field. I've seen this both for "current salary" and for "expected salary". I have always put 0 into those that require a number to be entered.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

When it gets to the part where they make you an official offer and it's $10k less than your current salary, then you say, "I would love the opportunity to work for you, but I am currently earning $14k more than that offer. I want to work here, but I can't take that substantial of a paycut."

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

This is probably already covered somewhere in the past 24 pages of this thread, but I have a question about it anyway.

I have an offer from a new company. They penciled in a start date of 2 weeks from tomorrow, giving me just enough time to give 2 weeks notice to my current employer. However, I have not yet completed their background check process, upon which their offer is contingent.

How do I tell my new employer that they shouldn't reasonably expect me to give notice to my current employer until I have passed their background check? I have nothing to hide, but at the same time, I can't risk giving notice upon an offer that could be rescinded should they find something that even I wouldn't expect.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just tell them that you'll submit your two weeks notice once all the contingencies in their offer are met.

Simple enough. I think it helps to hear someone else say what you said.

• Locked thread