Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
So I have a verbal offer from a large company, which I received yesterday, and an email from them with "offer Components". It's a consulting firm that deals mostly with Microsoft technologies. I referred a friend to this company by way of a recruiter who had emailed me about the same position 9 months ago (at the time I wasn't interested in moving.)

I was expecting to make the same, if not more than that friend. When he interviewed he had no consulting experience, no Microsoft Certifications, a bachelor's degree from a smaller public university (I believe it was Robert Morris) and 6 years of technical experience. I just finished the interview process, and my qualifications, vs his are I have 2 years of consulting experience, an MCSE (high level microsoft certification) and 5 years technical experience, as well as 2 straight years of experience in the piece of software that they were looking to hire for. When we started the process, they asked me how much I wanted to make. Knowing his salary, I said 95-100k. They said that the way to do that would be to get me in the "Consultant" position (which is the position he is in).

The offer finally came today and it was base $86k with $5k signing bonus, and 10 days vacation (I would be losing 5 vacation days if I moved). This offer was presented by a different internal recruiter than the one I had been working with. I know that their promotion scheme hinges on actual consulting experience and you are supposed to get raises the more Microsoft Certs you have. They said if I want to start March 31st that I need to get back to them by friday, and if I want to start mid-April I have until next week. Is it too late to go back to them and say "I believe I'm worth the 95-100 that I initially asked for, and would like to start at 3 weeks vacation."

I'm terrible at this negotiation thing! I also am expecting an offer from another large consulting firm today (was actually supposed to get it yesterday but never heard from them). Should I use that as a play? I read the thread but I don't know if this applies to large firms that have strict definitions for positions and what they pay. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to wait until end of day today, giving the other company a chance to give an offer, and if they don't I'll be telling this one that I'm not moving for less than my minimum.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

turing_test posted:

How would you go about negotiating a level increase for a job offer?

At my previous position, I was a level 2 employee, and the other job offers that I have are at level 2 and level 3. The company that I'm most interested in made me a offer to be a level 1 employee (and is apparently at the max compensation that they can offer a level 1 employee, which is substantially less than the other offers).

When I brought up the compensation issue previously, my recruiter said that he could potentially increase my salary but would need special approval. Now that I've seen offers from other companies, I'm not really interested in taking a level demotion given that I wouldn't be eligible for a promotion until October - but if the company brought me in at level 2 (and compensated me appropriately for that level), I would almost certainly take the job.

All the job offers are for software engineering positions at tech companies, but most of them are substantially smaller than my first choice company.

That sounds like the bad decision I made going to this consulting firm I'm at. I took a level hit to get the name on my resume and the experience, plus I was told that I would be eligible for, and likely promoted in 6 months. Hilariously enough, based on when I was hired I am not eligible for a compensation increase or a promotion (due to all the bureaucracy and bullshit with a global consulting firm and their "rating/promotion" system) for 20 months after my initial hire date. At least I got 15k in a signing bonus?

Anyway, point being I wouldn't take a level decrease with a promise of a potential promotion to your previous company's level from a recruiter. They don't know dick.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

turing_test posted:

I'm definitely not planning on taking a level demotion - if they won't bring me in at level 2, I'm going to take a different job. Do you have advice on how to communicate this to the recruiter?

While I didn't do this, I would be like "Hey I think you leveled me wrong. I'm currently level 2, these other places want to bring me in at level 2, I like your company, but there's no way I can come in at level 1, what can you do for me?" Worst case they can't give you the level you want, and you don't go there anyway.

The reason I didn't do that is because I had a friend at the company saying it was better to come in at the lower level and the higher salary range because when you get promoted, you stay at the same range in the new position. The recruiter also said this, but everything I've heard from the company since then has been the complete opposite. That and I was stupid :)

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I work for a large consulting firm and am currently working on an internal project even though I'm technically a consultant and they prefer if I am client facing. I've been there for a year and a half, and have been promised the 'potential for promotion' at the end of the fiscal year. For promotion, you have to have someone go to bat for you and no one oppose you.

One of the managers that knows me from one week on a project is going around telling people I'm a piece of poo poo, waste of money, should never have been hired and have been lying. The project he was on with me, I got excellent reviews, literally turned it around, and the people that came in after him though I did an excellent job.

The project I am on now everyone is saying I'm doing a great job, giving me excellent reviews, etc. Since I'm getting hosed by this guy because he hates people and fucks them over for whatever reason, I asked my current supervisor what it would take to move over to his team. He said at end of fiscal year he could probably take me on. He also thought I was one level above what I am. Am I hosed in asking for a promotion when I get the move because I was the one that asked for the move?

I feel like I'll lose any chance of getting one if I don't ask for it now, but don't want to be greedy based on the fact I asked for the move. The next level should come with a 15% pay bump and I haven't seen an increase since I started a year and a half ago, but I also don't know if there is a different pay structure within the new team - I don't believe there is. All I know is I feel like I need a promotion to justify staying at this company. I like what I do right now, but there's many other places that I could go to and do similar stuff for similar if not more money.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

The Capitulator posted:

First things first - get the hell off an 'internal project' ASAP, that poo poo isn't nearly as valuable as client-facing work from the 'experience' perspective, these are usually given to guys that are out of steam and need a place to chill and be useful at the same time.

Well I'm sick of traveling, 3 and a half years of terrible clients and flying out every week is enough for me, for now. I'm fine internal, that's kind of what I want to do. And Technically it's the most visible project throughout our entire company, as we are upgrading Lync to Skype for business and performing all the poo poo that goes with it.

I will be switching teams which will be in the similar vein of work, but not with the awful bullshit that goes with the team that I'm assigned to. Never worked with a bigger bunch of people that didn't know what they were doing yet thought they were gods gift to the company.

To Vex a Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 14, 2015

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Probably poorly phrased my original post, I've not been on this project the entire time I've been at the company. I was there for about 8 months traveling to another client site, then was on the bench for a few weeks along with a large number of other consultants on my team, then finally got on this project.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That internal project checks all the good boxes of being political, highly visible, and fundamentally valueless.

Why do you say "valueless"? Always confused me when people claim that doing internal work doesn't give you experience. You are doing the technical poo poo, dealing with the same (if not more) bullshit that clients put you through, and you are still managing your teams. Maybe valueless for the company, but certainly not from a "I'm learning this technology or growing my team" point of view. Non-sarcastic here, WHAT about it makes it valueless?

As to Xandu's point, I was promised a promotion at 6 months at the company. They didn't follow through with that, my manager has not helped at any of the other set promotion points, 20% of our team is consistently on the bench, and generally our management is dragging its feet on everything. I figured it's either time to move to another team or to pursue the other options I have outside of the company, though I was planning on hitting the 2 year mark so my 401k match vested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No one inside your company actually gives a gently caress whether you use Skype for business or Lync. It's an eminently forgettable project.

Wasn't my question, but I understand what you are trying to say. Thanks for the insight.

• Locked thread