Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I heard the line in one of the videos "Coloured pink and kind of lovely." and thought "Yep, that's a girl game."

Cyan Dag posted:

I love playing the Sims, and spend hours and hours on it.

I played a lot of The Sims, but I feel like the expansions and sequels lost sight of the whole point, which was that it was a dollhouse with animated dolls. When it started getting to be more of a game, with goals and challenges, than a toy, where you can do whatever you want, I lost interest. I want my dolls to like who and what I tell them to, not dictate their desires to me.

EvilKaj posted:

I'm wondering if the reason they make these games is that they actually believe that females are some mysteriously untapped market and that they rely on hilariously (frighteningly) outdated stereotypes such as "girls don't play video games, they like to have makeovers". It's like I'm back in the 90's!

That's basically it. The mainstream, high profile video games are marketed to boys, so there is this large, untapped market. The big budget games could change to appeal more to girls, but since they're already making money it's easy enough not to bother. So the companies with small budgets see this gap in the market and they can easily fill it with these things that cost them practically nothing to make, and since pretty much all the competition is at that same level there's no need to do better.

The_White_Crane posted:

Regarding the 'are they really games' question... I'd say that a lot of those 'make-up games' you showed are toys, rather than games; the distinction being in the lack of a clearly structured ruleset and defined goal.

In a lot of cases this "Is it a real game?" question exists basically to deny legitimacy to video games that aren't marketed to the standard teenage boy audience, but I think the game/toy distinction can be useful as long as it's understood that there's nothing wrong with toys and they're not "the lovely version of games for girls and other mentally deficient people". Toys are fun, games are fun, and it's interesting to look at the fact that a lot of what are marketed to girls are on the toy side rather than the game side.

Endorph posted:

Also 'most' RPGs actually don't allow you to choose male or female when creating your character. Off the top of my head, and in recent memory, I can only think of Oblivion/Skyrim, Bioware's entire library [and] Fire Emblem: Awakening

Dragon Age.

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned the best girl game ever: Saints Row 2. I don't know how many hours I've spent driving around town in my pink convertible, trying on and buying all sorts of clothes and jewellery. I love the missions and activities etc. in that game, but if there's one thing I wish other games would take notice of and incorporate is the character customisation and dressing up.

And I just want to add that despite being male I love girl games. I have always loved playing dress-ups, playing with dolls, The Sims and even those lovely Flash-based dress-up games. Some of those in these two videos looked pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Exactly. Everyone does this regardless of gender, at least as far as I know. If I get customization options I'll play with them for hours. I even play dress-up in loving Dark Souls, because I have to LOOK COOL when I stab you in the face or set you on fire (or when said things happen to me).

You would think that pretty much everyone is going to play with customisation options in any game that has them, but the Saints Row developers said when they were making Saints Row IV that they'd looked into the stats on what people spent most time on in Saints Row the Third, what features were used, what activities people liked etc. so they could cut stuff that no one was using and focus on the stuff people actually want in the game, and it turned out that the vast majority of players just use the default male character with the default clothes and voice (but they still included character customisation because they consider it a core feature).

Seeing what people who are really into the game say about it on the internet, you'd get the impression that character customisation is half the reason anyone even plays the game, but the stats say that actually most people don't really care about playing dress-ups and totally ignore that.

Panzer Skank posted:

This blows my mind. Not only does this game have not completely awful writing, I'm allowed to hit on the girls??? I didn't play far enough to the point where I unlocked "dating", but this game definitely has dating. Can I be in a gay relationship?? I think I actually can.

The real test is, if you play as a male character can you hit on boys?

I thought biting a weirdly shaped hole right through a cupcake was pretty great, but this is just amazing. Decorate your toenails, put on some shoes, and then cheese! Cheese everywhere! Why not?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zoe posted:

And Legos back then were just soo much better in general, I don't understand these tiny little boxes where you just build one specific thing.

You build that thing and it's awesome. And then you get a few of them, plus some generic stuff, and you build your own things with them as well. And after a while, with all the pieces mixed up, you try to build the original things from memory. And then you compare what you got with the picture and realise that you've either improved it already, or you made it slightly different and the picture gives you an idea for improving it.

Yeah, if you just had one of those little kits it would be pretty limited, but the whole point of LEGO is to get a whole bunch of stuff and combine it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh for real? Do you have a link to the article or whatever, I'd love to read it in full.

Sorry, I just remember someone linking it in one of the Saints Row threads. Not even sure if it's anywhere in the current SR4 thread or some other one.

dijon du jour posted:

"Students' Water-Balloon Fight Makeover" wins the award for Single Worst Concept For a Makeover Game I've Ever Seen. Nothing goes better with large amounts of water than expensive dresses and makeup.

My favourite thing about that is, why students? Not just two disparate concepts thrown together for no apparent reason, but three!

Gaz-L posted:

Back on topic, I hope someone uses this thread to look at some hidden object games. They're not my cup of tea, but there's a surprising variety in them.

My sister has a copy of the Great Gatsby hidden object game. I'll have to see if I can borrow it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I've always imagined RPG's serve as pretty good genre to indoctrinate both genders to games, but they tend to be very text-heavy and still marketed to men more often with a focus on combat and violence.

I wonder how well a pure role-playing RPG would do.

Given that Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines is considered a pretty great game despite the combat rather than because of it, I think there'd certainly be a market there if someone went for it.

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe? But the ones I played had that and they still weren't too great, because you can't do anything with the result.

The point of action figures of any sort is you make up stuff to do with them after you attach all their swords/fashion accessories (same thing really) and you can't do that with a sprite on a flash dressup game.

That's why I say RPGs are the real dressup games.

I think you just don't like dress-up games. I don't know that I've ever in my life actually played any sort of game with a customisable doll or toy beyond simply customising it. Maybe staging a scene. But then I'd undo it all and start again, because it was about making it look cool, that was the whole point. I didn't set them up to do something with.

Even now, I can have a lot of fun playing with dress-up games, or stuff like that Hero Maker thing that someone mentioned earlier. Sometimes I load up the Saints Row 3 or 4 stand-alone character generators (Initiation Station and Inauguration Station) just to make a character that I'll never use in the actual game. I don't even bother saving them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, maybe? But yeah I suppose I wouldn't enjoy just dressing up a character because I had action figures when I was little. I've never had to be limited to just dressing up the character.

I wasn't limited to that, that's just what I find fun. You make it sound like I have some sort of toy-based Stockholm syndrome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

I find this odd, earlier in the thread someone talked about the first The Sims game being much more free form, less gamey, or something like that. I remember trying it when it was new, without any expansions at all, and the way I remember it, everything was getting bogged down in terrible gameplay mechanics. I couldn't just freely build/decorate a house because of budget and my sims lived like poo poo, because they had to follow a seemingly impossible daily schedule while constantly getting stuck in animations, on geometry and on each other. I don't think there was any sort of sandbox mode, so you'd basically have to "cheat" if you wanted to play it as a true free-form doll house.

I never tried any of the later games, partly because of this experience.

The thing about the gameplay elements in The Sims was that they were super easy to manipulate. If you wanted two of your sims to fall in love, you could make that happen in a few minutes. If you wanted them to get married or have a child, it was easy. The careers took a bit longer but were still really simple. And the money earning meant that you had to space out your house building and decorating a bit, which made the game last longer without seeming like it was unnecessary padding.

I tried one of the later ones, and I couldn't get the two sims I wanted to fall in love to even like each other because their personalities clashed or something and it was really annoying.

Zoe posted:

I wonder why this is. Like, are they roleplaying and is there a certain personality type they would consider as 'inappropriate' for playing a man, but for a female character it was perfectly fine? Do they know they can get free gear from other players that way or do they just like the thought of having boobs?

I know a guy who almost always plays women in any kind of RPG...I've never thought to ask him why. Is it just as common for women to play male characters when they have the option?

Like others have said, I often play female characters when given the option just for variety. Most games force you to be an American man, so if I have the option to be something else I'll take it. Also, when it comes to customisation, women often get a much better selection of clothes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

I don't think gang tags really need to be official, do they? From what I understand all that happens is somebody with platinum attaches it to a post, and then everybody who wants it links to the image in their avatar.

For the Saints Row one someone actually bought a second account and set it as that account's avatar. You could also just buy it as the avatar of someone who hasn't posted in ages. Or of someone who does. Even if they change it the image will still be usable in titles because old avatars don't get deleted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Devious Vacuum posted:

Ah yes, the Let's Pladdies, the masculine form of Video Dames.

"Video Dames" is clearly the best option.

my dad posted:

Just adding the image link worked fine a year ago when I got the Troll Slaiyers tag. Although I'm not sure if you can use an attachment, I think it has to be in someone's profile at first. Either that, or Ozma asking the QCS regulars about the usefulness of gangtangs resulted in a rather poorly timed change.

I'm pretty sure it just has to be someone's avatar. The existing "fake" gang tags are avatars, not attached images.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

It got me thinking: what are some cartoons aimed at young(er?) people that are entertaining and have not-too-terribly-hosed-up messages? Well there may be a lot, I dunno; my brain went straight to Daria and got stuck there. drat I loved that show.

In the 90s I was a teenager growing up in a small country town in Australia. It's easy to forget how isolating that can be if you don't really fit in, considering for example that the Internet wasn't really much of a thing yet. So the first time that intro came on, it was like a revelation. "That's me! (Only female.) I'm not the only one like this!"

I remember it being really good overall at promoting individuality and whatnot. It's been years since I've watched it, though. I wonder how well it holds up today.

Daria is an excellent show. I think the only criticism I'd have of it was that as a teenager who didn't fit in I had this belief in my own superiority, and Daria does kind of reinforce that. She does grow as a person as the series progresses, but it can feel like the show is saying "Yes, you are better than other people, just as you've always thought." I'm not sure you could really get rid of that aspect of it without making the character less realistic and relateable though.

The biggest sign of how good the show was though is the fact that it didn't just appeal to people like you and me, everyone watched it. I think everyone could relate to the characters, and it was really funny. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the first and last episodes of season one (Esteemsters and The Misery Chick) are probably the best to watch to get an overall impression of the show and are well worth your time.

Since I'm looking at the episode listing now, season two's Monster and See Jane Run are also great, and Daria! - The Musical from season three is one of my favourite bits of TV ever, though it's one of the lighter, more comical episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Devil Ed posted:

So during the stream D-Vac played a game and I mentioned that I had recorded a video for the thread. Here is the video. I'm sorry for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8mO81mOBU

My favourite bit is him dropping the shirt, because he clearly just picks it up so he can drop it on the floor for no reason other than to make his girlfriends angry. I think he likes getting tazed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zoe posted:

What are you talking about? In the 24th century, mankind has evolved and become enlightened enough to move past such primitive ideas as sexism.

It's not like they just put Troi on the bridge to give useless advice and get mindraped constantly, she's as necessary a part of the crew as any of the male characters and does lots of important stuff, like...

...well okay I'll have to get back to you on that one.

To be fair, she was more useful than Worf.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

And not everyone has the ability to drop ~80$ or so on a microphone so they can actually say anything.

$80? There is no way you need to spend that much just for a basic microphone for voice chat.

The kissing augments the lives!

ThatPazuzu posted:

I was checking for girl games on the Android App store and...

Game description posted:

look! What a hot girl over there in the bus stop! A bald man is peeping at her!
The smart girl wants farting and she doesn't let others notice this, so she has to fart when any vehicles pass by.
The score is computed by the farting time.You could challenge any players all over the world by using ScoreLoop in the Game.

Content rating: Medium maturity

What's new
--Support more density
--Fix a force close
--Fewer recommend ads
--Add Move to SD Card

I didn't bother downloading it, but I guess it's basically just one of those kissing games but with farting. Over a million downloads, average rating 3.3.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I don't know how much a decent microphone costs. :v: I thought that tildes in front of numbers meant something like "roughly" or "up to" I don't have one and I've never had an interest in looking up prices!

That is what tildes mean, but you can get a basic headset microphone for under $10. I don't know how good one that cheap would be, but I've bought a few for $20-$30 and never had a problem with them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

StoryTime posted:

After that, I had some really scary goggles attached to my skull, so that the lens could get close enough to inspect my retinas, or ocular pressure, or something.

I've had my ocular pressure measured tons of times. They put some local anaesthetic into your eye and then you rest your chin on this thing and they poke your eye with a round glowing stick. You can tell when it reaches your eye because it deforms it slightly and makes your vision go a bit weird.

dijon du jour posted:

This one starts out as many of them do; by making us rummage through the pantry. At least I think it’s the pantry? Either they’re keeping their milk and cheese in the pantry or their bananas in the fridge, and I’m not sure which possibility I find more offensive. :colbert:

What's wrong with keeping bananas in the fridge?

Kloro posted:

"Microwave oven" is what people over here would call a microwave if they were being formal, but it is just a name. And trying to bake a cake in a microwave would not go well at all.

You can totally make cakes in a microwave.

Kloro posted:

I forgot about those! Those are usually called combination microwaves though, aren't they? I can see why a translator would be confused.

Convection microwaves.

OwlFancier posted:

As a concern, if it's anything like every microwave oven I've ever seen, attempting to use the conventional element will make your food, kitchen, hair, and entire house smell and taste like burning plastic. Though that might be just because they're used so infrequently.

My parents had one until recently and I'm pretty sure they never had that problem.

Hokuto posted:

And I don't mean American chores where you can throw clothes in the dryer and cook up some Hamburger Helper; No, this is Japanese chores where you have to spend 2 hours prepping dinner (because instant mixes above the tier of cup ramen don't exist) and hang all of your laundry by hand because dryer hookups physically don't exist in houses or apartments.

What's a "dryer hookup"? And cooking food from fresh ingredients usually doesn't take anything like two hours of preparation.

Devious Vacuum posted:

:siren: SPEAKING OF HORRIFYING THINGS :siren:

with Midnight Voyager

OK, what was the thing where the clown dropped two strawberries into boiling orange liquid and then inhaled the steam?

Charkie posted:

Edit: The audio may cut off at the end? The sound is supposed to continue to play after the video ends because of magic. I'll try to fix it.

The video pauses and the time counter stops, but the audio keeps going. It's weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You were talking briefly about princesses and queens and queens having more agency, but I don't think you mentioned the other major difference, which is that queens are usually evil. Kings are often good, but a woman with power is probably a villain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zoe posted:

Is there anything even out there at all as far as wholesome superhero or superhero related things for girls in that age range?

Not super heroes but comics, I really like Bad Machinery by John Allison. It's about girls who solve mysteries.

The Non-Adventures of Wonderella is a great comic about a female super-hero, but not really suitable for children.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

Or even apparently Native American headdresses, despite that technically being from a Western culture.

How are native American cultures Western cultures? :confused:

dijon du jour posted:

The same could be said of Tomb Raider, apparently.

Executive producer of recent Tomb Raider reboot Ron Rosenberg posted:

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character,"
"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her."
"When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."
At least they were upfront about it.

Wow, that's terrible. Since when does Lara Croft need protecting?

Bacchante posted:

The lack of games for grown women might be an issue for another time.

It's the double-issue of games being for children and games being for boys. If you're a woman you strike out on both counts. The fact that girls and adults do enjoy video games (and comics) doesn't seem to change that perception of them as being pretty much just something for boys.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Heatwizard posted:

I remember reading that Sleeping Dogs started out with a female assassin as the protagonist rather than a dude cop

How is that even the same game? "Yeah, I love this game concept you've come up with, everything is great, except one little thing... how about instead of playing as an assassin you play as an undercover cop? Keep everything else though, that's great."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Devious Vacuum posted:

with AsteriskAsterisk

Is it just me, or is this:

clearly a baby? Once you put some hair and clothes on her she became a small child, but at this stage it definitely looks like a baby with breasts. So weird.

Blaziken386 posted:

Saints Row 2 was the best. Saints Row the Third apparently cut out a lot of the customization and from what I've heard SR IV is pretty much the same, just with a lot of the bonus outfits thrown into the main game.

The big difference for SR3 was the lack of layering, eg. shirts and jackets were separate in SR2 but combined in SR3, and that's the same in SR4. There are more options in SR4 though.

haplesscardsharp posted:

Please don't tell me you used a vehicle in Saints Row 4 long enough to pimp the poo poo out of it.

I don't understand people who say they never used vehicles in SR4. They're super fun.

Jenner posted:

"Nerd girls" have it rough too because they are either gross and pathetic or are only nerds in passing and are more likely just The Girlfriend.

Or like the Felicia Day characters (in everything I've seen her in) where they're the lonely nerd's dreamgirl, the attractive, competent sidekick.

Jinxie Monroe posted:

This is why I like the show Drop Dead Diva despite it being pretty schlocky "chick" stuff overall. It's just so nice to see a larger woman portrayed as just a person (not till around season 2-3 though sadly). Plus Margaret Cho.

Drop Dead Diva is pretty good, although I feel like the supernatural elements are kind of holding it back at this point. I feel like that really worked well in the beginning but now whenever it comes up I just want them to drop it.

• Locked thread