Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Hello, my name is Devious Vacuum, and I am a roboticist. But when I decided I wanted to LP some games, I thought I should focus on what I'm REALLY good at: having a vagina. Let's Play Games for Girls!

All of us are aware that "Girl Games" exist online, and that there are a lot of them and they're all pretty lovely, both in terms of messages they send and how well they are implemented. Why are Girl Games so terrible? How many of them are actually out there? WHY DO THESE GAMES EXIST?? These are the hard-hitting questions I would like you to help me answer!

In each episode, I'm going to look at a collection of Girl Games, mostly from free-to-play websites, but also some games full of terrible messages that you have to actually pay money for. This is by NO MEANS the full extent of girl games out there! There are so many of them. So many. That's why I need you!!

Would you like to play along at home? Everyone is encouraged to go find Girl Games of their own and post evidence of them here! Whether it be video, screenshot, or even just an image of your finished product, any and every contribution is encouraged. How deep does the rabbit hole go? Join me and find out!

How serious of a discussion is this, you ask? There are plenty of opportunities to be serious and to be funny when discussing these games. I want to first and foremost make fun of them, but also we should take every opportunity to point out problematic aspects of all of these games and the very serious cultural issues they reflect. That said, please don't come in looking for a fight! THIS IS A FUN THREAD ABOUT LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP. And remember: EVERYONE IS GIRLS.

with AsteriskAsterisk
Blog post linked from The Guardian: Games for Girls?
with BeamsplashX and Helmetcondenser
with OatmealRaisin
with Panzer Skank
with Siren
with Ragny and Psychedelic Eyeball
with Kaubocks :siren: WARNING: EYE SURGERY :siren:
with Midnight Voyager
with AsteriskAsterisk and HelmetCondenser
with Dyslexiactic
with Gharbad
with EntranceJew
with Chuuurls and HelmetCondenser
with Sweet and Awful
with Voidburger
with Charkie
with Panzer Skank :siren: WARNING: NOSE CLEANING :siren:

with AsteriskAsterisk
with DurpTwoTwo
with Fat Larry :siren: WARNING: BABY MUTILATION :siren:

Fat Larry Streams an Anime (VOD)

by Senerio
by Senerio, With EntranceJew, Heavy Sigh, Miniature Moose and Yapo
by Senerio

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Panzer Skank plays Really lovely iOS Games For GURRLZ: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Peach Style plays: The Scared Groom, Fashion Police

dijon du jour:
dress up games for boys?!
Tropical Spa Day. Nothing unusual here.
Girl Gamz

MiracleFlare:
throws a personal sex party at 123kido!
The Horrors of PlayKaty
Baby Hazel Goes To Disneyland
What did they do to Princess Merida?
Date Them All!

Boyfriend Trainer (VLP) by Devil Ed

Word of the Day is: Date (VLP) by MisterFuzzles!

Onean finally figures out what that League of Angels ad is all about.

Charkie, Mr Swoon, and Syrg find love and gas lamps in Pretty In Pink.

Mr. Swoon and Syrg rejoin Charkie for some more licensed girl games with Mean Girls. It's...not abysmal? Wait, really?

Nerdy to Emo Makeover by chocolatekake!

Let's Play the Mary-Kate and Ashley Series, Part 1 with DurpTwoTwo, ItsGoggalor, ZenScissors, and DevilEd
Let's Play the Mary-Kate and Ashley Series Part 2: Hit-Thingies with DurpTwoTwo, ItsGoggalor, ZenScissors, DevilEd, and Siren, aka Grasslamb
Let's Play the Mary-Kate and Ashley Series Finale: Rolling Start (with DevilEd, ItsGoggalor, ZenScissors, Compufreak, and Kai.)

Night Gaunt takes a look at Otome Games!

Roll Next
(With Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, Loco, and Assoonasitis)

Soricidus Makes A Cat Happy!

DreamingOfRoses takes us to NeoPets and Hannah's Wardrobe Adventure!

ThatPazuzu:
(skeletons by DVac)
Goes on a double date during Bad Girl (Prom Night?) Goon Run Renegade Run
Chooses from the many boyfriends of My Virtual Boyfriend!
Dresses up some Celebrity Babies and a Shrek Wedding?!

Then Helmetcondenser Dates Joshua the Redditor

hyphz shows off Magical Girl Mari's Dressing Up Adventure, a Japanese game with an interesting take on dress up gameplay.

123Peppy.com Arts and Crafts!
by chocolatekake
Instructions from here: http://crafts.123peppy.com/popeye-soap-carving/55

Killerrhubarb plays Disney City Girl! Part 1 Part2 Part 3

BlueFlowerRedSky created this excellent Twine: Magical Girl Makeover

Thanks ElephantGun for capturing the essence of Girl Gaming.

GEOP made a sweet gamertag(s) for us Let's Playdies~

Thank you Charkie for taking a screenshot from the renowned Girl Game, Girls of War.

Geop snuck into a kissing game!

Xenia completes Dongs "REO" Speedwagon's makeover.

Captain Fargle explains the bizarre cheerleader mutations in Pom Pom Squad.

dijon du jour shows us what Let's Playdies are all about.

Jinxie Monroe gets SILKY SMOOTH LEGS.

Why's It Gotta be SlenderMAN?! a short story by AltaBrown

dijon du jour created this excellent ad.

Happy Valentine's Day from Senerio!

Girl Games the Hedgehog, by Killrrhubarb

Achievement unlocked! Geop reveals me as a Fake Gamer Girl.

nu_vagus created this amazing remix of the BEAUTIFUL CAR! song!!! RAVE CAR

Coincidence?! I THINK NOT. from StoryTime

tlarn avatarized my MLP gif:

Friends don't let friends
play horse games

codl creates an excellent avatar available for you:

Delivering girl game news
directly to you

ahaha holy poo poo Let's Draw Fanart by Dyslexiactic

another by tinkerttoy

This beautiful monstrosity is by SassyRobot

THE REIGN OF THE DISHWASHER BEGINS
by chocolatekake

Thread Participation!!!
Erte Elegance
Gyre
Devious Vacuum
LordGugs
The_White_Crane
Anistar01
KennyMan666
chocolatekake

Fairytale Prince
Devious Vacuum
Honorific!

Tutti Frutti
Honorific!
Devious Vacuum

Regency Dress Up
Devious Vacuum
SelenicMartian
chocolatekake

Boyfriend Maker
RoeCocoa
tlarn
Awesomonster
The_White_Crane
DWK
Cerebulon
King Vidiot

Manga Creator Madness!
chocolatekake
Devious Vacuum
Senerio
dijon du jour
tlarn
Best Friend Skull
MiracleFlare
The_White_Crane
Killrrhubarb
DecayDJK
DurpTwoTwo
ShadowMar
steinrokkan
azren
Jenner
Lord_Ventor
The Trials of Mary, Campus Crusader for Christ by Gyre
Camel Pimp

DollDivine Viking Maker
azren (portrayal of the Vacuumborn)
OmanyteJackson

Pokemon Trainer Creator
Senerio
The_White_Crane
DurpTwoTwo
Devious Vacuum
chocolatekake
Killrrhubarb

STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS
Devious Vacuum
SelenicMartian
Veloxyll
Meowjesty
Camel Pimp
azren
chocolatekake
this fish flies
Skanker
Devil Ed
MiracleFlare
ZOOM! ENHANCE! The_White_Crane
DWK
SirArthurIV

Then everyone made a bunch of loving mechs:
DWK
Veloxyll
StrixNebulosa
Meis
The_White_Crane
Senerio
dreamy
Killrrhubarb
haplesscardsharp
pichupal
Heatwizard
chocolatekake
Jenner

The Ladies of Dinogeddon
CaptainBob
Onean
Veloxyll
SelenicMartian
maswastaken

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 19, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

For my first update, have a super special double bonus video! Asterisk and I discuss why Girl Games are worth talking about, and then BeamsplashX and Helmetcondenser join me to have a very silly discussion about pizza.

with AsteriskAsterisk
Blog post linked from The Guardian: Games for Girls?

with BeamsplashX and Helmetcondenser

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

HerrSystem posted:

Ground floor on awesome Dee-vac thread! Do you have a list of games you're going to do, or are you going to play/record them as you discover them?

And how long until you do a 100% run of Horse DDR?

I have a Master List going forward about 4-5 episodes, but obviously I am open to suggestions as well! And yes, I have an entire episode devoted to boy dress-up games too~.

Horse DDR will happen eventually! Everyone plays it blind, so I kind of want to get somewhere in the game before showing it.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Rahonavis posted:

Are you planning on doing any licensed games?

Some of them! However, I know for a fact Dyslexiactic and FutureFriend are going to start a Barbie Games Megathread quite soon, and likely there will be a lot of cross-pollination between our threads. Some might even call them, Sister Threads~

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Geop posted:

Aw yeah, been waiting on this thread :dance: I'M READY FOR SOME PINK STUFF AND GLITTER AND poo poo

GANG TAG FOUND

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Geop posted:

vs

vs

Edit: Oh, awkward way to start off page 2 :v:

It's so beautiful

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Why can't I just heart and gold star all of the posts in my thread <3

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I may or may not already be planning to feature this game and this website.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

John McClane posted:

I'm thinking specifically of a game like Secret of the Magic Crystals.

SOMEBODY gave me that game for Christmas, so this will happen eventually.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Saint's Row 2 is an excellent Girl Game and y'all should go watch those LPs! Also,

Ramengank posted:

If I may inject a personal tale of a girl game from long past, I had (warning: terrible sound) Crystal's Pony Tale for the Sega Genesis.

The Men Drinkin Coffee did a full playthrough of this beautiful game already, and I don't really know what I could add to this experience.

I'd also like to echo everyone who is saying that a game being dress up, pink and/or sparkly is not inherently problematic, but the lack of effort and terrible messages about what it means to be feminine are.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Thank you so much Panzer and Peach Style for submitting wonderful terrible games!

There is somewhat of a derail about Metroid going on here, so I thought I'd weigh in and say that Metroid is not a "game for girls" as I am defining it for this thread, it is a game with a female protagonist. What Other M and "girl games" have in common is that they are both sexist, but Other M is still outside the scope of this thread. What I mean is, given the set of all sexist games S, and the set of all games marketed exclusively at little girls G, G is a subset of S, not the other way around.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Would games like tie-ins for "girl media", like the Twilight franchise, be considered "girl games"? I recently played through a lovely licensed Wii game for Mary Kate and Ashley because I hate myself, and it was quite the experience, let me tell you.

I'd love to see that in here.

I'm pretty sure one of my associates is trying to record that game as we speak! Or something similar, because he had it running on Dolphin. That definitely counts for this thread, as we've already seen with stuff like Selena Gomez and some other games I have in store as well.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: UPDATE TIME :siren:

with Oatmeal Raisin

Oats and I play some very romantic games about kissing. I built one of those LEGO architecture series for adults and it was super boring. I'd much rather build some kind of intergalactic battleship. Oh, and Oatmeal is totally gonna post a video about GTA V when he gets done being in California later this week.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

KissBieber is one of the many games a distressed Midnight Voyager sent me on Steam a few nights ago, to be seen in some upcoming video eventually, probably titled "Midnight's Choice."

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I've never heard of all these hidden object games! That's interesting. It sounds like the target demographic is older than that of the other Girl Games we've been looking at. I'd like to learn more about them though!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

A lot of the responses from people about how much they enjoy the "playing dolls" aspect of many games has reminded me of the other side of the Girl Games message: that dress-up and caring about one's physical appearance are decidedly NOT in the domain of Things Boys Can Do.

One of my favorite things in LP is watching boys play girl games, because it's like y'all are just finding this poo poo out for the very first time, and it's hilarious. But! It is also a symptom of how our culture prevents boys from developing skills in things seen as traditionally feminine, such as emotional expression and emotional literacy.

It's obvious here that EVERYONE enjoys playing dolls, and playing dolls alone is not problematic. In a perfect feminist world, I would like to see more games with extensive customization options, and for a variety of other reasons about representation besides just that! "Everybody can do everything" includes acknowledging that boys enjoy doing "girl things" as well.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

God drat it, I got scooped on My Cool Teacher!!! You'll still see that game in a later episode though, repetition be damned.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

dijon du jour posted:

In the video you could probably show off the actual dress-up portion better than I did i.e. at all. :v: I just watched the dude's clothes slowly fade away in front of a classroom full of students, looked at his tiny package, and said "Okay, limit reached."

I did the exact same thing! I guess I will have to actually play it now...

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Mordaedil, it's fine that you used to be into ERP but got better. Don't jump down their throat, guys! THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP. I follow the A/T "ask me about growing up with a girl who thought she was married to anime guys" thread. I used to really be into Anne Rice. We've all been there, man. We've all been there. That's why we're here in this thread.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Speaking of dudes who always play as lady characters, one of my dearest friends growing up was the type of guy who always played as female characters. He is a straight male, but he definitely wasn't sexualizing them, that was just his preference. In Mario Party, he'd play as Peach and I'd be Luigi or Daisy, in Smash Bros, he'd play as Zelda and I'd play as Link. He was always Serena in Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic. I think ultimately he just identified with those characters the most, and they just happened to be female! The characters he picked tended to be the ones that were magical/spiritual do-gooders or "healers," and usually those characters are female. However, obviously, people of all genders can be of the personality to identify with characters like that. Once again, we run into a problem that can be solved with more equal gender representation in games!

Y'know, conversely, this reminiscing has reminded me of how as a girl I was averse to playing female characters in many games because they were so obviously sexualized it made me uncomfortable. For example, in the above-mentioned Age of Wonders I'd play as Nekron or "some guy in a hood" (the custom character portrait) and name him Bob, and that was because the female portraits I either didn't identify with enough or was grossed out by how their boobs and butts were so visible all the time. Girl Games are mostly sexualized, so I can see how I didn't want to play those either. So go figure that one out.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Vifs posted:

What have you done to me!

I feel like I need a special section of the OP for this. Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their avatars to GIRL GAMES?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The comment about what a beautiful love story this game is really makes it for me. "Amarantha" has to "get her boyfriend to fall in love with her all over again"? Is this Anime The Notebook?

I'm not an animexpert, but I have a special operative on the case who plans to post some otome games in this thread.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

dijon du jour posted:

Hey, if DeVacuum is taking requests for themed videos, might I suggest "plus-sized games"?

Oh wow! I haven't come across any of these so far, so I had begun to suspect none existed. Absolutely, if you PM me a list of 5-7 of the "best" (most representative) ones you found, I'll take a look.

In the meantime, I've got plenty of material to make a video themed entirely around the most racist games, but I don't know if I have the fortitude to actually do that and record commentary over it. I think I prefer the current spacing of many racist games spread out over multiple videos.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: BARBIE TIME! :siren:

with Panzer Skank

In this episode, LP Drunkperstar Panzer Skank and I take a look at one of the quintessential Girl Games: Barbie! Specifically, the free-to-play Flash games at Barbie.com! If you're interested in looking at more Barbie games, stay tuned for Dyslexiactic and FutureFriend's upcoming BARBIE MEGATHREAD!

Also, if you aren't already, watch Panzer and Kaubocks' Saint's Row 2 LP!

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Oh, while I have your attention: I am thinking of doing a Girl Games Stream sometime this weekend, but I have many questions for you, thread! First, I had originally planned on revisiting games from the videos and playing them in full, but maybe I should also take suggestions from chat from the websites we've already looked at as well? Should I stream all new games, or further explore things we've already looked at?

Because of the unknown volume of viewers I may get, I'm going to go with my Twitch channel, https://twitch.tv/deviousvacuumsa. Stay tuned and let me know what you think!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Six Of Spades posted:

There's a reporter Barbie? That sounds really neat, what did it look like?

Ah, sorry, I linked it in the video description: I Can Be: News Anchor Barbie

Innovacious posted:

I could not stop myself, I went and played it to make this gif real edit: :nws: maybe?

Holy poo poo.

error supply posted:

You should definitely stream Alter Ego, even though its not exactly a "girl game" like the ones you are showcasing for us. Its creepy as gently caress though.

This is interesting and I have never heard of this game before! I will look into it.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Barbie Dreamhouse Party is unfortunately still under the 3 month rule, and besides, Dyslexiactic is probably going to end up LP'ing it, but I DO OWN THAT GAME, so I might still play it eventually.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

This is what the inside of my brain looks like all the time.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I saw that! Clearly I am tapping into the mind of the collective subconscious of the internet.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Thread over, you win.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I like your enthusiasm! It's efforts like these that will make LET'S PLAYDIES into an official gang tag!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Tiggum posted:

For the Saints Row one someone actually bought a second account and set it as that account's avatar. You could also just buy it as the avatar of someone who hasn't posted in ages. Or of someone who does. Even if they change it the image will still be usable in titles because old avatars don't get deleted.

Oh really? So that's how that works! Wow, I am really tempted to do this, but will I be able to live with myself for unleashing Let's Playdies upon the forums?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The_White_Crane posted:

If you do, please please go for the spelling "Let's Pladies" instead.
"Playdies" always looks like a portmanteau of "play" and "dies" to me.

But what if that's what I like about it??

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Ah yes, the Let's Pladdies, the masculine form of Video Dames.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Well, I already have platinum, so if I attach the file here, then what happens?

EDIT: OHO I SEE

DOUBLE EDIT: If I need a mod's permission I apologize for making A Thing about this, carry on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 30, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

In celebration of this, I have created a batch of avatar-sized images! Y'all are doing a way better job than me, though:

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Okay, enough about gang tags. We can just have gang tags in our hearts! But silly avatars are still highly encouraged!

:siren: HERE'S AN UPDATE :siren:

with Siren

My soul sister Grasslamb (aka Siren) joins me as I completely ruin everything.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

tlarn posted:

Ghoulia is the best of the Monster High bunch and I'll hear nothing else on the subject. :colbert:

Oh my god, Ghoulia. Thank you for showing me this. My faith in Girl Games is restored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The other day I got a very important message on Ask.fm, and that person convinced me to make a clarification for this thread:

The message I got was related to Girl Games and trans women. I want to clarify that while the games we're making fun of are blatantly exclusionary on many levels, in this thread, we are all girls. These games want to define "girls" strictly and narrowly, so in this thread, I want to do the opposite. The bad messages in these games effect everyone, so therefore everyone is girls. Including everyone who identifies as female, which includes trans women, or, as I like to call them, women.

When I react to and analyze these games, I am going to start with what offends me personally, but of course that is not going to always be the same for the rest of you. People with different experiences and backgrounds will have additional things to say about why these games are dumb and bad. I have no authority to speak on behalf of a trans woman, a queer woman, a woman of color, A MAN, and so on, about how these games affect them except on a very superficial level. But that's why I made this thread!

I want you to tell me, and I am eager to hear your opinons and experiences. Ultimately, I want to increase my own awareness of all these issues and the awareness of the entire thread as well! It's no good to go around tearing down only some problematic aspects of these games. If you are reading the thread, if you are experiencing these games, then your opinions are valid and you will be heard here.

Okay, now go back to making silly .gifs, thank you everyone.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread