Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well this looks pretty interesting.

My favorite dressup game is Final Fantasy X-2. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played default DudeShep, because the character creation was rear end. (I think? It's been a while.) It's one of the few games where I did that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Ms Hale does a much better job of the VO with Femshep. Then again, so did people who didn't check the other voices in SR2. I would love to see if random character generation, or some reedy black guy/girl changes the ratio at all.
Why are we talking about voices now?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Caufman posted:

Why... not?
I don't mind talking about the voices, but he quoted me and I was wondering what part of my post sparked the talk about voices.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Buried alive posted:

Reposting this from the previous page because I can't believe that nobody has commented on it. That needs to be someone's avatar.

dijon du jour posted:

Then there's "Man Dress Up" which requires no more introduction or explanation than that.

I think this guy was on a show on the Discovery Channel. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 22, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

I feel like I need a special section of the OP for this. Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their avatars to GIRL GAMES?
Do you feel like there will be a lot of them?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Boobplate or not, I rather like Hildegard's armor. Her princess dress is also pretty good.

But yeah, my standards might be low because of Ivy and the rest.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Testicle posted:

That woman is plus sized?
Compared to Barbie.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Edit: I probably shouldn't say things that sound like insults even if I didn't intend it that way.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 28, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The laser eyed chick is the best. :allears:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Knockknees posted:

Don't worry. You can be a Girl with us in this thread if you want. Girlhood for everyone!
Thanks, Oprah!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Truly the response that game deserves.

:golfclap:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devil Ed posted:

So during the stream D-Vac played a game and I mentioned that I had recorded a video for the thread. Here is the video. I'm sorry for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8mO81mOBU
For those who weren't there for the stream, there's a sequel.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LordGugs posted:

Wow, that is a good find. I'm not one for dress up games but that one is very cool, very 1920's.

This is really cool. My favorite of the pictures from this game.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 18, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like to think that Baby Hazel is psychic and by playing the game we become manifestations of her terrible will.

Devious Vacuum posted:

I AM THE GOD OF GIRL GAMES
All hail our new goddess!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

I just added all the dress-up participation where more than one person dressed up a doll to the OP! THERE ARE SO MANY IMAGES. Maybe I should put them somewhere else? I could dump all the dress-up images in the thread into an imgur album. Or is a super-long second post okay?
OK, looking at the OP, maybe an album would be best.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

:siren: UPDATE TIME :siren:

with AsteriskAsterisk and HelmetCondenser

Shoulda put sunglasses on the fedora.

Edit: I'm watching a girl play a girl game about a girl playing a girl game. :psyduck:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 14, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alpha3KV posted:

I checked out today's Steam deals, and immediately saw something that reminded me of this thread:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263460/

I haven't bought it, but it seems to be a puzzle game where you try to get everything in the best place.
Hey, girls actually do like robots! Right, Devious Vacuum?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

:siren: BOYZ TIME :siren:

with Dyslexiactic!

Omg, Dys and I, like, totally check out some cute boyz.

Dramatization:

For a moment there I thought it was the return of the money tree.

But no, it was just snakes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS THREAD AROUND, KIDS.

I don't know how to feel about Perfect Woman. It looks interesting, but I also don't like the art style. Also, suicide bomber? What?!
Women can be suicide bombers if they want to be, DVac. <:mad:>

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

haplesscardsharp posted:

So is it even possible to market a video game by using a woman, but not portray the woman in a negative light? No.

Are you a girl who likes video games? Do you play them for fun instead of using them to meet boys? Do you hate it when men online either hit on you or judge you because you are a woman?
Well, we here at Sony want to offend the gently caress out of you and portray a sense of women are sex objects; please see this advertisement, and hopefully you never buy anything from us again.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement that says "women are just boobs" more than this.
:stonk:

This is incredibly creepy. Not just because it's terribly sexist, I mean like body horror creepy. And also really sexist. Why would I ever buy a vita after this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

Hooray! I'll be there!

As much as I enjoy talking about sexist video game marketing, it's kind of straying from the purpose of the thread. It would be fun to do a "sexist gaming megathread" but that would basically be almost every game ever. So to get back on track:

:siren: BEAUTIFUL CAR! :siren:

with Gharbad

Our journey to the bottom continues.
I like how you were clicking buttons in time with the music.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

asvodel posted:

Not a girl game but there was a pretty bizarre Kickstarter a while back for a dating sim where the main heroines were literally genderswapped Hitler and Stalin.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel
I didn't know what to make of it.
I'm... not sure what to make of it either...

On the one hand, it's a game that romanticizes Hitler and Stalin.

On the other hand, someone is turning Hitler and Stalin into an anime.

... Regardless, I don't think I will buy it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Honestly, I'd be okay with a mega man game where you got to play as roll.

That one looks terrible, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

HelmetCondenser posted:

I saw virtual Boyfriend, and knew that I had to play it.

The man I found was Joshua.

Dislikes: Bullies, Idiots

He's super sexy and feminine. PERFECT

The dating started off pretty normal, with me just praising the gently caress out of everything he did to gain levels. He kept rejecting any physical contact though...and used pickup lines on me even though we were already dating???

He was totally infatuated with me, proclaiming things like "A girl who likes video games? I think I've died and gone to heaven!" and "Now if you do cosplay, that's a dream come true!"

Then things took a different turn: "You're even nicer than my mom!"

Finally, at Level 8, I gained WARIO POWERS:

But Joshua began to come unhinged.

I was determined to make the relationship work, so I continued to praise him to hell and back, hug him, and even cleaned his house! He got mad as gently caress about the cleaning, declaring "Don't move my stuff around!"

I kissed him, but he insulted my breath. JOSHUA, PLEASE.

At level 10, he started saying things like this:

I was getting fed up with him by this point, but I soldiered on. When I hit level 11, I finally got the power I needed:

Alas, in a cruel twist of fate, I never got the chance to scream at Joshua for being a godawful redditor:

Joshua then booted me to the main menu.
oh god. I haven't even played this game and I feel like I got trolled by it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Boner Police posted:

i'm new is this a gag
This is girl games, son. Stare into the abyss with us.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoe posted:

Sorry I don't have any hilarious dress up screenshots to post, but on the subject of general media and actually healthy entertainment for actual real life girls, I was just browsing through the Hark! a Vagrant archive and came across a link to this amazing pitch to DC for a series of young adult novels starring an eleven year old Lois Lane.

I got intensely depressed as I read it because the premise is so drat good and I would've bought the entire series for my nieces in a heartbeat, but of course the comics industry being what it is the whole thing got shot down.

Is there anything even out there at all as far as wholesome superhero or superhero related things for girls in that age range? I mean, when I was a kid I liked Batman as much as the next person, but the few female characters that were 'important enough' to have their own comic, you could just look at their costumes and they were pretty obviously aimed at teenage or 20-something guys as much as anything else out there.
I don't know any girl-centric superhero shows, but I think the teen titans cartoon/anime was pretty neutral. Raven and Starfire kicked rear end, and Bumblebee became the leader of a second branch.

Edit: on second thought, Ravens birthday arc was pretty suggestive, wasn't it? It's been a long time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yes, but only the parts I deem the least shameful.
Well what's the point if you're just going to cut out the best bits? :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My god. Those Shrek faces. :stare:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also loved the Spice Girls when I was 10.

EDIT: It kinda sounds like she's hiccuping to me now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

AND EVERY LAST INCH OF ME'S COVERED IN HAIR!
Welp, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for the next week.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

haplesscardsharp posted:

I bought and played that game in a drunken haze, it's not for girls. It's for men. Men who want to be prepubescent anime girls. Although to its credit, it doesn't have nudity. Or its does and I missed it because I wasn't looking for it because I'm not a gross Tucker.
I don't know about full-on nudity, but I think it had one of those creepy magical girl outfits that are barely any better. There was an LP of the game a little bit ago and I think whoever did it showed it off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

xxlicious posted:

Yes, and girls obviously don't enjoy dressing up as magical girls or whatever. I wonder who all these dress-up games are targeted towards, then. ;)

It's just a bit of a shame that when the creator's entire goal is to make games for girls that aren't just about dressing up and looking pretty and chasing boys, but then said game is immediately pigeonholed as "for men", as if girls can't enjoy that kind of gameplay. Perhaps the problem isn't that "good girl games" aren't being made, but the fact that the mainstream gaming community don't acknowledge those games as girl games specifically.

But the point is moot anyway since there's an LP of it currently on-going, so probably not a good idea to LP it again here.
There's magical girl outfits for little girls and then there's magical girl outfits for creepy assholes. Whatever else the game was about, whatever target demographic it was supposed to appeal to, the magical girl outfit was firmly in the latter category.

The creator can say whatever she wants about her goals.

Edit: Wait, no, I think the problem was with the pose, not the outfit. Something about the advertisements?

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 26, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Meowjesty posted:

Why are those men riding 70s couches?
They're very comfortable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Princess is the least threatening royal title (Compare duchess, queen, empress) that someone can hold. If you're the devils daughter, and flinging people into incinerators, hearing the word princess breaks the mood.
I disagree. A princess can still be threatening. Taking it out of the title is one thing, a marketing thing; taking it completely out of the game is weird.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Of course a princess can be threatening, as shown by the Maui Princess picture posted earlier. The title though, is itself not threatening.
But it won't "break the mood". If my character is axing people into incinerators I won't care if they call her Princess Buttercup. That can make it worse, if done well.

For the record, I'm disagreeing with the idea that being called princess breaks the mood, but I'm aware that the company in question might very well think it would.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SassyRobot posted:

Just turn your monitor upside down, silly :downs:!

I... I think I did something wrong.

Oh dear.

:stare: My Beautiful Carton Dishwasher
You did not. :allears:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

I don't think anyone likes washing machines.
How can anyone not like Washing Machine senpai <3?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

tinkerttoy posted:

Is this the real life?
It's just fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm hungry, so let's become a chef. :v:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2014

• Locked thread