Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
D

Best of every world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I hope you have either an africa or italy option.

I'm all for trying to get Rome over the rest of crappy anatolia.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Komnenians

A The empire must not be allowed to bleed for a single province in the far east. We must conserve our strength for when the young Empress comes of age and her will can be followed.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I know Sniper normally does this but I am bored: If anyone wants to change faction or whatever just make it obvious for me please.

Old Romans: 12

Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus

New Byzantines: 25

Rogue0071
Pyroi
Ofaloaf
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav

Milvians: 6

Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23

Komnenians: 6
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag

EDIT: Forgot the votes

A: 30

Sindai, Rogue0071, Pyroi, Ofaloaf, Jazerus, JT Jag, DivineCoffeeBinge, Gygaxian, Clayren, Sky Shadowing, EightDeer, zephyr42, Lord Windy, Caustic Soda, StrifeHira, RabidWeasel, Sleep of Bronze, NewMars, ChrisAsmadi, TheMcD, Muskatnuss, Blackunknown, Rejected Fate, ZearothK, Frozen_flame, Ghetto Prince, cokerpilot, Horsebanger, Ezo45, Jimmy4400nav

B: 5

Thanqol, LordGugs, Ubern00b, Mortuus, Duckbag

C: 14

mcclay, occipitallobe, Patter Song, DentedLamp, HenessyHero, Flesnolk, Meinberg, sheep-dodger, Luhood, AJ_Impy, YF-23, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Syce300

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

To use Vicky II lingo, "A coalition government has been formed of Conservative and Reactionary Parties Old Romans and Milvians."

Suck it Liberals New Byzantines.

What would Komnenians' be in this scenario?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Ὠ βουλευταί, Ὠ Ῥωμαῖοι, ἡμέτερα ἔργα ταῖς του πολέμου ἀνάγκαις πλάσσωνται. οὐ συνίστημι τινα λεπτήν σύνοδον· φημι μόνον δεῖν ἡμετέραν ἀρχήν βεβαίαν εἶναι. εἰ ἡ Ἰταλία καί ἡ Ῥώμη ἀσθενεῖς εἰσιν, ἐάν τὸ ἡμέτερον ἀυτᾶς κρατεῖν ἡμᾶς αὑτούς μεγάλους παράσχωμεν, ἀυτᾶς ἁρπάσωμεν. ἄλλα, εἰ αἱ Σαμιδαι κίνδῦνος εἰσι - καί εἰσι! - τὸ ἀυτῶν κράτος ἀμβλύνωμεν μέχρι μηκέτι τοισαῦται εἰσιν. εἰ νομίζομεν ἀυτᾶς μείζονες, μενοῦμεν μέχρι, τύχης ἀφικομένης, ἔξεστι ἀυτᾶς διαφθαρῆναι.

οὖν, νῦν, συνηγορέω Τοῖς Νέοις Βυζαντινοις.

Wow, that is awesome. What path did you take in your education to get here?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Hey Rincewind, I'm in a different timezone and will be sleeping when voting is over. Here is the up to date list for you that is correct until this post.

Old Romans: 12

Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus

New Byzantines: 26

Rogue0071
Pyroi
Ofaloaf
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav
Mirdini

Milvians: 6

Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23

Komnenians: 6
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag

A: 31

Sindai, Rogue0071, Pyroi, Ofaloaf, Jazerus, JT Jag, DivineCoffeeBinge, Gygaxian, Clayren, Sky Shadowing, EightDeer, zephyr42, Lord Windy, Caustic Soda, StrifeHira, RabidWeasel, Sleep of Bronze, NewMars, ChrisAsmadi, TheMcD, Muskatnuss, Blackunknown, Rejected Fate, ZearothK, Frozen_flame, Ghetto Prince, cokerpilot, Horsebanger, Ezo45, Jimmy4400nav, Mirdini

B: 5

Thanqol, LordGugs, Ubern00b, Mortuus, Duckbag

C: 14

mcclay, occipitallobe, Patter Song, DentedLamp, HenessyHero, Flesnolk, Meinberg, sheep-dodger, Luhood, AJ_Impy, YF-23, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Syce300

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
It wouldn't be Roman if we didn't have kicking parties and orgies! Komnenians = best party.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
A new updated party list! I'll just keep up with it until Sniper comes in and takes over if he wants (don't want to step on your toes), Rincewind tells me to bugger off or I just get bored.

Old Romans: 16
Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus
Grim reaper
Jihad Joe
Gnooble
TheLoquid

New Byzantines: 25
Rogue0071
Pyroi
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav
Mirdini

Milvians: 8
Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23
SavageGentleman
WilliamAnderson

Komnenians: 8
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag
Deceitful Penguin
Capfalcon

Papists (Traitors): 7
Bulgarians
Pope
Holy Roman German Empire
Goddamn Dutch
Ofaloaf
forkis
GrabbinPeels

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 21, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Look, you might unhelpfully call them traitors, I call them a potential source of vast amounts of manpower we could tap into if we just accepted the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church. :argh:

You're as bad as the bulgarians!

edit:

I'll put you back in your party during the next vote

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Well, it certainly appears that our Senate's very own schism seems to be gaining momentum.

No matter, it's not like it will ever grow large enough to challenge the Royal family. Let's just leave them to their own devices and continue to pay our taxes and breed so the Empire may best serve the Royals.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

The fair and great Iouliana has fallen. Why must God test our fair Empire so much?

And shame to all you Senators who thoughts stray to matters of business and politics of all things when Rome has been wounded so! We should be mourning her passing, not living in the past like you stuffy fools are doing.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That looks much better than mine Sniper :)

Love the name Traitors.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Don't you think placing power from a dozen of Douxs to five patrician families might just create worse rebellions? Perhaps if we break the themes into sub republics but I can't imagine that fixing anything. Instead of squabbling nobles we will have cashed up assholes. I think we should just leave well enough alone until Alexios is old enough to decide how to solve the issues.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Komnenians

As a Komnenian I think our party needs a little renovation. It is one thing to party until we drop dead, but we kinda need to a bit more than that.

I move that we support the removal of the Doux's and replace them with Komnenian family members loyal to the family and Empire rather than replacing them with priests or merchant republics. Even if we get a few bad eggs as time goes on, atleast the majority of the Doux's will be loyal to the throne. Hell, we could even begin to implement an Elective Monarchy safe in the knowledge that the Komnenian family won't be lost.

So, Doux's to Komnenian! That is what our party should support.

Since we might need to do this:

Voting for:

Komnenians

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 22, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Where does the pope go?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Ὠ βουλευταί, Ὠ Ῥωμαῖοι· συνηγορέω ἔτι Τοῖς Νέοις Βυζαντινοις. βάντες γὰρ ἐπὶ ἀκμᾶς ξυροῦ, ἀλλά τοῖς τῆς χώρᾶς σκήπτροις τε καὶ ταῖς τῆς ἐπιδόσεως προαιρέσεσι σεσώκασι ἡμετέραν ἀρχήν.

δόκει τοίνυν μοι, τόν ἄριστον πόρον ἐπικρατήσεως πρός ἥλιον ἀνίσχοντα εἶναι. ἡ μέν τῶν Τυρκων ἀρχή στασιωτικά ἀεί ἐστι. οἱ μέν νομάδες Ταῦροι ἀξιόμαχοι ἡμίν οὐ παρεσχήκασι. ἡ μέν Κηεβη εὔλογα πρός βορέαν ἵστησι. εἰσβολή δ᾽ εἰς τήν Ἰταλίαν ἀναγκάζει ἡμᾶς ναύτας γίγνεσθαι τοίας πολυχρονίαν οὔκ ἠμέν. καὶ δὴ καί, ὁ προσχωροτατος ἐστί ἡ κρατίστη τῶν χώρων· Σικελία. ἄρα στέργωμεν προσβάλλοντες ἀσθενέσι σκοποῖς, μέχρι τόσοι ὄντες ἔξεστι μηκέτι ὁστισοῦν πρός ἡμᾶς μάχεσθαι. ἔστω γε παράδειγμα ἐκείνη ἀρήτη ἐπαινοῦσα ταῖς παλαιαῖς ποιηταῖς· σωφροσύνη. ὁ Εὐριπίδης εἷπε ὥς·

φεῦ φεῦ, τὸ σῶφρον ὡς ἁπανταχοῦ καλὸν
καὶ δόξαν ἐσθλὴν ἐν βροτοῖς καρπίζεται.

Ummm, why isn't this spoken? I demand that you speak your dead language because I like the sound of it!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Duckbag posted:

I don't know about this plan to appoint other Komnenoi to all the Douxies, seems to have some flaws. For starters there'd need to be some other Komnenoi and if you haven't noticed our royal line is looking a little... thin at the moment.

I was was the Komnenoi who suggested that we replace Doux's with Komnenian family members. Personally seems like a great idea if we could stop dropping family members like flies. Komnenian's are the greatest family since the Caesar's of Rome and it make sense to replace disloyal Doux's with them. But I otherwise agree with everything else you have said.

I'm liking that the fanatical loyalists are becoming the most sound.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Of the faith is preferable but as we have in our own halls men most immoral we must take what we can get.

I am surprised that we haven't got a break away party trying to have us convert to the old Hellenic religion of our forefathers or to the Tengri of the steppes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Scruffles, acting senator every time I've had too many.

And may god have mercy on his soul. I'll remember that weekend we had at the races after the vote on what colour to decorate the senate floor. It will warm the cockles of my heart until the day I die.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Obviously blue, duh!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

: The Greens, of course! After the incident back in the time of Alexios, anyway!

Lord Windy posted:

Obviously blue, duh!

Well this is embarrassing.

I'm watching my social life disappear before my eyes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

You would challenge an old man to combat over sport, and you think this disproves my claim of chariot racing creating hooligans? The joke's on you, Senator - I've served four Emperors and Empresses, including this current one, long may she reign, and those early days were darker times than these. I propose any such contest be to first blood rather than death; honour will be satisfied and the Empress will not lose valuable legislators to this... nonsense.

No go ahead, one dead Old Roman will be good for the Empire. I suggest you fight with dirty knives so we have a chance of two dead Old Romans.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Here are the flags of the Komnenians and the Loyalists. They both support the Empress and the Koumenian family fanatically, to the point of not having any real ethos of their own. For some reason, they're separate parties due to some minor point of political dogma. Nobody knows why. They also dislike the douxes, and the Komneians have excellent parties.

I think you'll find the Loyalist's would jump ship if the Komnenian family suddenly found itself ousted from power while the Komnenian's would fight for their return.

So this makes them as bad as the heretics in my eye.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

The Empress is dead, long live the empress! I am sad that the Komnenians of Nikeae had their title revoked rather than the traitor just kept in a comfortable prison until his heir could take over. But I trust the late Empress's decision.

My favourite book is of course the Alexiad, a simply stellar work of history.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Worse than all of this, even though Euphrosyne is dead, we are still being ruled a woman! Only resolute and urgent action will avert this catastrophe now. Whether the loyal Doukes have the will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know.

The Great Alexios is looking down on us from heaven; he is looking down and he is vomiting.

This crazed man does not speak for any Komnenian party member. He is far out of line and should be put to death. Every single Emperor and Empress of Komnenian blood have been a boon to this great Empire. I will not suffer any suggestion of the true born heir being removed from office for any reason other than God's own intervention. The Old Romans and New Byzantines are not traitors either my good man. With their support the Empress (may god have mercy on her soul) had the ability to extend the Empire further than it has been since before the Schism.

Flee before we get drunk enough to stab you to death!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

##Vote Komnenians

##Vote Phanariotes

The Empress has expressed an interest in the Phanariotes, so I will throw my hat into the ring with this party. It is certainly important for us to develop new alcohols or whatever they claim to do. I'll be honest, I'm not much for learning. I much prefer to read the Alexiad and attend parties in period costumes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Samuel posted:

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Expansionists

Do we actually get Roman legions somewhere up the tech tree?

If we get Roman legions I call consul!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Are there any Norse left? We may as well just start worshiping Odin if people are contemplating Zeus.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

While it is a good day when the Senate makes its proposals to the Empress, I am saddened by the ignorance of my fellow senators regarding the importance of the Marriage act, any war that we decide upon would be so much less costly if we had allies to sacrifice share our burdens. I am hopeful however, that our glorious Empress in her bountiful wisdom will take the matter under advisement, even if it was not a formal decision of the Senate.

Those children must be saved so that rebellious Doux's can be replaced by loyal Komnenians. I suggest instead that the act be dropped forever as a terrible idea and we instead look inwards to bolster our forces.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes, let's all congratulate the Empress, she is now the proud owner of the most fractious, unruly and rebellious people in Europe. Not only that, this is the second time we have stabbed the Italians in the back while they were working to protect the Holy Lands. Where is the army that should have freed Anatolia? Where is the gold that should have built roads, ports and castles in Greece?

Alexios must be spinning in his tomb.

:dawkins101:

You are a terrible, terrible Komnenian senator. We tend not to do these backhand compliments, since you know, it's the Empresses decision and all. Who are we to say that the money would have been better spent else? We tend to spend money on parties and booze.

Maybe you should be in the New Byzantines instead of the Komnenian.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Samuel posted:

You guys are right Croatia is really upsetting our border lines, though we really should take Italy all the way up to the alps first.

We've got 3 Merchant Republics, I'm sure that they can supply us with enough boats that we needn't worry about any unnecessary conquering. Unless the Empress wills it of course. Then we shall fight with righteous fury and hate!

On that note, do we have any Jewish Doux's or Merchant republic leaders? The Israelites have always been good to us, I sincerely hope that they have been rewarded with a safe land of their own within the Empire.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I was lucky enough to participate in one of the Hansa LP's multiplayer sessions, so if anybody wants to get a sense of how great I am at EU4, I wrote up a bonus update about my proud tenure as king of Scotland.

You lacked a senate to win for you. It's ok, we understand.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

We call ourselves Komnenians, but I suppose we are really loyalists to the preservation and strengthening of the Imperial structure. The Komnenian dynasty is the current personification of that structure, and so we fight for the strengthening of their dynasty with tooth and claw. And if their line went extinct, we would weep bitter tears. But we would move on, because the Roman Empire always needs a steward, and that steward needs trustworthy advisers. And lord forbid, if that dark time comes we will be there.

If the line went extinct, than yes - I could understand us moving on to a new family. But I feel that my relationship to the Komnenians is to the family rather than the Empire. The two are intertwined, and I could not support a Emperor/Empress without them being a Komnenian. Instead I would fight tooth an nail to put the family back into power.

I guess that would make me the ultimate loyalist.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Jesus, how on earth does one even manage to rebuild the Roman Empire in CKII?

In my game as the Byzantine Empire, the Empire at my height was France, most of the HRE, Hungary to Romania, Armenia down to Syria and Tunisia to Western Egypt. A fair chunk of the Empire but it's slowly falling apart as rebellions and periodic invasions take their toll. I could probably reclaim France + England, but the Middle East and Spain would be all but impossible.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

You need complete control over these duchies: Latium, Venice, Ferrera, Sicily, Genoa, Capua, Apulia, Thrace, Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria, Athens, Tunis and Croatia.

So we're actually a decent way there.

Oh I meant back to the 106ad borders. I've got the SPQR, but I'm so large now that the empire is consistently falling to pieces. Every few years I'm fighting off a holy war and each new ruler has to prove their metal by defeating a massive rebellion or two.

EDIT: For that achievement on steam, where you reconquer every land in the old SPQR realm at it's height.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Well, from playing the last update I suggest having a 27 diplomacy wunderkind as your emperor. :haw:

Yeah, my diplomacy 4 Empress, Phyllis the Fat, certainly didn't help after my wunderkind died at the ripe old age of 22 to depression. Mere months after he reformed the Roman Empire and took Italy and France in one fell swoop.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Totes voting for Ghana. Let's be even more successful by emulating another well loved LPer!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

##Vote Komnenians

I'm confident that our platform needs no adjustment. Let's just keep supporting the Family that made it all possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe one day the Komnenians will win. It will be a glorious day.

Grand tournaments, summer fairs and hunts all year round.

• Locked thread