Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

YF-23 posted:

A, simple is best.

We're the Roman Empire, it is our civic Duty to be over the top. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

As much as I want to peace out for one broder provence, C bleeding out the Saimids is more important. Any chance we can destabilize them?

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

As a member of the New Byzantines, I must express my deepest condolences for the late Empress' family. I feel that while misguided, the heretics do have a point. For too long we have neglected our relationship with western Europe. I do not think we should kneel before a power-hungry pope, but we must strengthen our ties with our christian cousins. For the real threat lies to the south and east, not west.

NewMars posted:

Good ideas

The Byzantine Empire needs military might to secure it's place in the world. I fully support this.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

I agree with the Old Roman and Latin senators, we should pursue diplomacy with other nations, be them Orthodox or Catholic. I also suggest we begin arranging marriages with other nations, for the off-chance the Empire can inherit more crowns.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I still think the more important cross-party faction has not been created yet. We still lack a Pretty Borders faction.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

The Preemptive Strike

The Empress is directed to immediately revoke the themes of all douxes found to be leading or involved with dissident factions against the crown, on the first offence, with these titles to be given to family members or loyal courtiers instead. Or, for our amusement, whichever of the doux's vassals they hate the most. An addendum: We should consider making more merchant republics and despotates to reduce the power of the douxes even further.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Empress is directed to conquer Rome.

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive
In keeping with this the Empress is directed to reclaim Antioch, as one of the greatest and wealthiest cities of Roman antiquity and the seat of one of our holy Pentarchs. The reclaimed land should be placed under the administration of an Imperial Governor.

I second all of these proposals.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Arbitrary Coin posted:

While I consider myself a New Byzantine at heart, I heartily endorse the New/Old/Milivan notion of sending missionaries to convert the Ilkhanate Are we not already brothers in taking down the vile infidel Turks? We should further this by bringing the light of the true religion to their doors! The conversion of previously pagan Lithuania is a sign we should be trying to do this elsewhere as well!

It's good to see the Senate back in session! I wholeheartedly second this notion.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Propose the Croatian Removal Act

For a long time the Croatian blight has made our borders look ugly. Senators, I propose we through diplomacy or warfare take this land as to establish a defensible border on the Danube. This land will also help us support Venice and any invasions of Western Europe.

I'll also
## Sponsor the University Construction Act

A smarter populace will no doubt see the majesty and virtuousness of the Empress!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

This senator speaks the truth. We are not the Roman Empire, we are the Byzantine Empire. Rome is the past, the City is the future. If we do capture Rome we should rename it as "Old Rome" or "Old Byzantium", to signify it's current status in relation to the City.

Although Rome is a great conquest, it should not be the focus for a New Byzantine. We should be protecting our border interests to the North and East, while removing foreign merchant influence from our lands.

To reiterate, we are Byzantines, not pagan Roman. We are better than that latrine you call Rome. If you are a New Byzantine that wants to restore Rome you should leave this party.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

While new parties are tempting, my family has been New Byzantines since their inception. Byzantium forever!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Sponsor the Illyrian Reconquest Act
##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Sponsor the The Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

OOC: Is it bad that our Serbian/Croatian border angers me in real life?

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Support the Valerian Order Establishment Act
## Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Luhood posted:

New Byzantines -/- Phanariotes

True words.

New Byzantines -/- Phanariotes

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. The fires of rebellion have been lit across Europe, and this turmoil will only weaken the true faith for the coming years.

Another problem with all of this is the talk of restoring the "Roman" empire. Again and again my family has tried spoke on this: we should not idealize a pagan, dead empire. We are Byzantines, part of a glorious Christian Byzantine Empire. We so look past this foolish notion of returning back to theRoman Empire. Look at what we have accomplished as Byzantines! We have created cultural unity and tolerance within our empire on a scale that has never been seen in this world. Would you all turn your backs on this to return to antiquity?

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

While it is always sad to see a leader die, our new Emperor has given us a wake-up call we really needed. For too long we have been ignoring how our actions have been affecting the common people.

While I support more research expeditions, I would like to ##propose Higher Learning Initiative.

I propose that when funds allow, we begin to build Universities in all major cities if the Empire. The spread of knowledge will help us defend and maintain our great empire, and we can use these Universities to indoctrinate enlighten the general populace to love and follow their Emperor.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##support Yaroslavovich

Man, gently caress this new guy.

At least the Russian Tsar-Empreor wasn't a puppet.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Yeah, I have been loving this thread and playthrough, but the unstoppable Ming is weirding me out.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Vote Byzantium. As my family has said for generations, we are not Rome, we are Byzantium.

I also ##Sponsor Sykinder Senatorial Administration Act. We the Senate have been proven loyal to the Empire above all else, and we should be given power to better serve our country.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Vote A

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
B

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Join the Adventurer Merchants

Let us explore for glory and Profit!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
A

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Never trust a Branas.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Vote B.

Europe has proven itself able to stand up against these Ming folks, we shouldn't turn around a join them.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Join the Adventurer Merchants.

Alright boys, to riches we go!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
We were the founders of the Orthodox Church, and now we want to abandon it? What has Rome come to? ##Vote A

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Join Adventurer Merchants I don't know about you guys, but I think it's time to leave this continent and explore. Surely the rest of the world is more stable than this mess.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##support Patrician Philosopher

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Support the Scholarly Civil Servant

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Vote E. State-Controlled Trade Unions.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Support the Gentleman Physician

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

##Support the Prudent Diplomat

As much as the Bearded Grognard's proposal appeals I think giving the army a well earned break from trashing the armies of other great powers and making our focus consolidating our growth at home is in order for now.

This, we need to keep improving our defenses and only strike out if we have to.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Vote A: Support the Republic

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Support the Hauntingly Familiar Stranger

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Support the New Byzantine

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
##Support the Florentine Student